test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you pay for new content?

vendahravendahra Member Posts: 108 Arc User
People seem to be starved for new content, new space to explore, new missions to play, etc.

If Cryptic were to develop a new sector, with say a dozen systems and a couple dozen missions, but you had to buy an unlock that say costs 2,000 zen or so, would you do it?

I know would spend the equivilent cost of a c-store ship for new content.
Post edited by vendahra on

Comments

• Options
    damainxdamainx Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes, I would pay.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Lol, of course people will pay. Why do you think this game is going into chaos month after month?? only because people are willing to pay for new content and new stuff, no matter what, and cryptic knows that. Why do you think cryptic is only releasing content and doing nothing else, not even fixing bugs? because they dont need to. Only with the two things they release by time to time, they have enough to keep going.. they dont even need to worry about the quality of the game lol.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd rather pay for story content than for things like crafting materials :V
  • Options
    schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We already pay for new content via all currently provided ways to spend money onto the game. Cryptic just refuses to deliver anything more than new lockboxes and a new grind every now and then. And I don't see cryptic changing their business habits to a degree to make pay for content work.
  • Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stofsk wrote: »

I agree 100%
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would pay ....for playing a new MMO.

Already done it, when "returned" from SWTOR.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I payed for DOFF packs and DOFF rosters, and what Cryptic did with DOFF system in S9.5? So, no, I will not pay for anything in this game again.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When you're asking a question "would you pay for new content?" it's probably time to consider moving on. It would also probably be cheaper.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm done paying Cryptic for anything as of S8. Maybe if they change the personel at management level, I'll reconsider. Untill then, nope.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Short answer is No.

Reason: Paid content is never guaranteed better, than freely added content.

I have played games with p4content, and they offer nothing better than what I am currently getting now, for free.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No. Not because I'm cheap and want to save money, but because at this point I don't believe Cryptic can deliver any playable content worth a penny.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I already have... then they stopped making content, and I stopped paying.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Absolutely not. Free mission content is one of the few principles that Cryptic has kept to. The other being Lockbox ships are limited to non-faction ships. If STO begins to offer paid mission content, then it would lose its status as having one of the best F2P systems.

Personally, I don't think Cryptic has a say in the matter. As far as I know, all PWE games offer free mission content and a PWE Executive would have to make the call about offering paid mission content not Cryptic.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Would I pay for new content?

No.

Why?

Because, as far as we know, it should have been paid for already.

We're told continually how well the game is doing financially.

It's about the only justification for some recent changes, that they apparently make money thus keeping the game alive.

A comment from Taco yesterday does make me wonder whether expansion2 may well have a lot of story content in it.

If so, it would be a positive thing imo. And positive things are much, much needed.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    A comment from Taco yesterday does make me wonder whether expansion2 may well have a lot of story content in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhckuhUxcgA
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No I wouldn't pay, for the ever so simple reason that the game is FREE-TO-PLAY.
    In other words, we DON'T HAVE TO PAY IF WE DON'T WANT TO.
    It's the way all MMO's should be IMO.
  • Options
    adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have paid.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I couldn't pay for story content. Nor if I could, would I.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    vendahra wrote: »
    People seem to be starved for new content, new space to explore, new missions to play, etc.

If Cryptic were to develop a new sector, with say a dozen systems and a couple dozen missions, but you had to buy an unlock that say costs 2,000 zen or so, would you do it?

I know would spend the equivilent cost of a c-store ship for new content.

trouble is that doesnt fit the freeium advertisement, as long as the core game play is free to play then it fits the bill, you put gates on core content you may as well call it pay to play again.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Already paying for Gold subscription; starting to wonder why, since I pay twice as much on another game server where no such stupidity has been done in the last 8 years, and there have been 4 major mods in that time, with a wide-open invitation for players to help develop it... :o
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not unless this content had something of actual use. I'm here to play a game, not "content". Anything which offers nothing of USE, is the kind of CONTENT that I avoid like the plague. I am here to play a game, I am not a child who needs to be entertained with a bedtime story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes - I'd pay for content. Provided they'd actually start developing the game and it's story further (and in decent quality) and would stop making their money by throwing gimmicks at the game.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've spent a prepaid 20 dollar card on stupider things like lockbox keys and ec cap removal.

I'd gladly spend one on access to a new featured series, especially with the stuff they're putting out now. the remastered klingon war and borg arcs would leave me a satisfied customer.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    whats the need? There is an expansion coming, and you get it for free. if you had to pay to unlock it instead, it wouldn't magically develop itself any faster.

sometimes in game development like MMO's you have these long waits between meaningful content. if X2 was just a normal season then 9 and 9.5 would probably have been bigger and the content more spread out through the year. because they want to maximize publicity, profits, gamer returns they throw it into one big update and monetize it through the c-store but it creates this larger gap in the meantime.

paying, which is a moot point anyway as its against pwe company wide policy, wont get you the content any faster. you would just pay for it in a different way.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    I actually enjoy STO's current model of "access for all". It means we don't have people locked behind one gate or another because of inability to access certain things, which leads to rage on the forums over people not being as good as others because of said gates preventing access to new gear...

Basically rage all around.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stofsk wrote: »

Your comment intrigues me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Also known as +1 yes.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    asovanraasovanra Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would pay for an expansion pack, but I would prefer that any new missions take hours to complete, yes I said HOURS!!! I don't want 10 new episodes that I can fly through in 15min or less, I want missions with multiple save points and integrate space and ground compat. It would even be better if they had fleet missions, no not stfs which we can do in 9mins. I'm talking about a normal episode, talking to people, solving a mystery, engaging like 100 borg in a final battle or just one of those against all odds battle. Something that requires coordination and real team work, not just a bunch of folks spamming FAW for the win. :-)
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No.

being forced to buy new content as it comes out (or get left behind) is what made me quit DDO

if Cryptic were ever to do that wit STO, i'd quit here to
    Tenebris lux mea est