What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RE: Duty Officer UI

Comments

• Options
    rankin0bassrankin0bass Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Another idea for the UI, a way to "favorite" certain missions so they're highlighted above and beyond the current color coding for rarity.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hate this UI so I don't need any improvements in it.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, having spent some time with, I have to agree. The new user interface is clunky and downright unsightly. Also, the auto-select of doffs needs an option to be turned off. Furthermore, I miss the department heads... while purely cosmetic, it did enhance the feel that my bridge officers were in fact just that, not just pets I take down with me to planets to shoot things.
    Department head missions are still there - I just slotted a bunch last night. Sure, you can't use them in the clusters anymore, but that's a separate issue.

The only problem I have with the auto-select is that when you go to change the pre-selected doff, that doff (and any other pre-selects) are in your list, which takes some getting used to. At least now, should you choose to use the auto-selects, they're somewhat reasonable when compared to the old UI.

For me, I don't mind the new UI. Once this patch adds back sorting, it should be fine. But then, I'm not resistant to change. Resilient must be on my doff roster entry ... ;)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Since Al asked for specific feedback on the ui, the slider for needed items/doffs needs to be worked on, for some reason i have problems clicking on it.

Question for the devs, do we still have the same number of doff missions available at any one time? Before the change i could fill up my queu twice a day and almost never go to the department heads if i did not want to, now its necessary, and even then i can have a hard time filling the list.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My feedback after the 7/21 patches on Tribble:

The officer selection windows is still TOO SMALL. The officer selection needs to take place in the existing doff windows (like it did before this "upgrade"), not a new pop-up screen that that only shows 5 officers. I have hundreds of officers, that good is looking at 5 supposed to do? It also needs to sort by department by default.

TOO SMALL! ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/DOFF_TOO_SMALL_zps2455e7ec.jpg

I've been here since beta
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Feedback after 7/22 Holodeck patch:

-The officer selection screen is too small.
    Example photo ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/DOFF_TOO_SMALL_zps2455e7ec.jpg
    Ideally the officer selection should not be a separate pop-up, it should be in the existing DOFF window, like it used to be. IF it is not possible to have the officer selection take place in the existing window and the section pop-up window is made resizable then IT MUST remember the size a user makes it and IT MUST remain that size indefinitely. We don't want to be having to resize the selection window every single time it pops up.

-The officer selection window is still showing officers already assigned to the project. Once an officer is assigned to the project it should not still be showing up as available in the selection window.

-The auto selection algorithm is selecting officers for assignments that do not match the success criteria for that assignment. One example is "Assist With Demolitions for Dilitium Mining". For success focus with no chance of disaster you want explosive expert officers but the system is suggesting other officers with higher disaster chances even though I have proper ones to use. Granted, the auto selected officers give a higher crit, but should the system not also take disaster chance into account and try to minimize it?
    See example photos below:
    Auto doff selection ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/doff_before_zps0830422f.jpg
    Manual doff selection ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/doff_after_zps1a14f959.jpg

*Edit #1 - Additional issues found:

-When manually selecting officers for a mission once rarity check boxes are unchecked they need to stay unchecked. Currently all the rarity boxes are checked every time the selection window pops up, it should remember our previous settings and keep them until either we launch the mission or close out of the doff assignments window.

*Edit #2 - Additional issues found:

-The check boxes for rarity appear to be "laggy". I find that I'm having to click on the same box several times to get it to un-check.

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014

The officer selection windows is still TOO SMALL. The officer selection needs to take place in the existing doff windows (like it did before this "upgrade"), not a new pop-up screen that that only shows 5 officers. I have hundreds of officers, that good is looking at 5 supposed to do? It also needs to sort by department by default.

TOO SMALL! ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/DOFF_TOO_SMALL_zps2455e7ec.jpg

Umm, I have a fear if they make it larger, it will fill my whole screen and not be resizable.

It needs to get resizable. My 1366x768 screen is already filled with so much useless UI I definitely don't want more of it.

What I highlighted in green would be great and help me tremendously.

The bigger problems currently are all the checked boxes of doff professions and the reset of filters at every doff slot.

In other words, the new Doff UI is still useless compared with the old one.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The doff selection window absolutely needs to be resizable. That should have already been put in with the previous window.

There also needs to be a way to "select none" and "select all" for the specialization options. If I want to look for a specific specialization, it's a pain in the TRIBBLE to have to deselect so many other specializations to start narrowing things down.

At the very least, it needs to remember your last selection when doing the same mission. I want a doff with x/y trait and z specialization for this mission, only show me the doffs that match this criteria.

Also the list needs to be broken up into categories again. Being able to deselect all Tactical doffs would go a long way toward returning it to how it used to be.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    -The auto selection algorithm is selecting officers for assignments that do not match the success criteria for that assignment. One example is "Assist With Demolitions for Dilitium Mining". For success focus with no chance of disaster you want explosive expert officers but the system is suggesting other officers with higher disaster chances even though I have proper ones to use. Granted, the auto selected officers give a higher crit, but should the system not also take disaster chance into account and try to minimize it?
    See example photos below:
    Auto doff selection ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/doff_before_zps0830422f.jpg
    Manual doff selection ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/doff_after_zps1a14f959.jpg

Another option would be to make it so you can choose your priority. That way people who want to focus on critical successes can accept higher risks while other players can play it safer.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Umm, I have a fear if they make it larger, it will fill my whole screen and not be resizable.

It needs to get resizable. My 1366x768 screen is already filled with so much useless UI I definitely don't want more of it.

This is why I feel that the manual officer selection needs to take place in the existing window, not in an additional pop-up window like it does now. In the original DOFF system manual selecting officers happened in the same window, there is no reason it needs to be in a new window.

Secondly, I fear that if they make it resizable, rather than just making it larger, then every time the selection window pops up it is going to be small be default and every single time I assign and officer I am going to have to first take the time to enlarge the pop-up window. If the selection windows is make to be resizable IT MUST remember the size a user makes it and IT MUST remain that size indefinitely.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    One positive from the new sorting interface is that it highlights traits and specializations needed for a mission.

Also, it still doesn't filter out doffs that you've already selected for a mission.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    This is why I feel that the manual officer selection needs to take place in the existing window, not in an additional pop-up window like it does now. In the original DOFF system manual selecting officers happened in the same window, there is no reason it needs to be in a new window.

Secondly, I fear that if they make it resizable, rather than just making it larger, then every time the selection window pops up it is going to be small be default and every single time I assign and officer I am going to have to first take the time to enlarge the pop-up window. If the selection windows is make to be resizable IT MUST remember the size a user makes it and IT MUST remain that size indefinitely.

Good point.

So embedding the doff choosing window in the main doff window is the only obvious choice. I'm not sure there's any chance of them making that.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This new filter isn't much of an improvement. If I want only specific departments, is starts with all of them checked and I have to go down and manually unselect everything else. :rolleyes:

Just put the old one back already. It worked.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Okay, lets try this again. If you don't want to put the old one back, lets keep working on this one.

First the good stuff.
    Thank you for allowing sorting by department. It really helps.

1. Your doff selecting program is now worse than before. Before it actually picked the one I would have like 75 percent of the time. No, I have no clue why it does half of what it does. Before I could usually improve it by maybe 1 to 5 percent, important to me because I like that kind of stuff. Now, I can improve your choices by tens of percent. Please put the the previous sorting program on the 17th back, of the two, it was better.

2. While the sorting options are nice, I can find stuff faster by scrolling down the list. What would work better would be to have the filter menu open up and when you click on one of the boxes it immediately shows you only the doffs that have that trait. Eitehr that, or a clear all/select all button so that you can clear everything, select the one you want to look at, and then hit select all if you don't find what you want. Or make it remember your choice between select doffs. That way I can un-select everything once and then select only the trait I am looking for that time.

Not that high priority, but I noticed when I drag the doff window around, the stuff inside the result and requires boxes tends to slid around, you know, like if you had something on a tray and you move the tray fast, the stuff on the tray tends to stay where it is for a second? It kinda looks like that. Not a big thing, just thought you should know.

Please let me know if you need anything else or have any questions about what I am trying to say. I can PM, I can e-mail, heck, I can call, I've got free long distance. The offer is there, just let me know.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited July 2014
    Postet it prior in an old tribble thread, so here once more:

Oh wonderful patch:

This filter-function is a joke!!!

Your DOff-Proposal still sucks on the most assignments, and if i try to choose better ones you want me to demark two dozen check marks???...
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Department head missions are still there - I just slotted a bunch last night. Sure, you can't use them in the clusters anymore, but that's a separate issue.

"Department head missions?" What the hell are you talking about? I was talking about the purely cosmetic feature of assigning one of your bridge officers to head a department. You know, as shown in these screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/7sSRgs6.jpg
    http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/harwoodr/screenshot_2013-07-05-11-15-38_zps1efe7ed4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    "Department head missions?" What the hell are you talking about? I was talking about the purely cosmetic feature of assigning one of your bridge officers to head a department. You know, as shown in these screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/7sSRgs6.jpg
    http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/harwoodr/screenshot_2013-07-05-11-15-38_zps1efe7ed4.jpg

That's still there.

A tab in both 'roster' and 'assignements'. I think it's called something like 'Dept Heads'. It leads to specific Dept Heads assignements as always.

• Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    That's still there.

A tab in both 'roster' and 'assignements'. I think it's called something like 'Dept Heads'. It leads to specific Dept Heads assignements as always.

I'll need a map then, because I didn't see it anywhere. I shouldn't get lost on my own ship, damnit.
  • Options
    opak1opak1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New UI:

1) Needs to be moveable I like to see the slot I am looking to fill.

2) Needs a select\deselect all button for the filter.

Latest update was progress but still needs more refinement.

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The new doff UI makes it impossible to start the Suliban Cell Ship "Tau Dewa Aid" mission.

I assign officers and click "Begin Assignment", but the mission is emptied out and placed back into the list.

It could be related to the new doff suggestion algorithm not understanding the difference between doffs with identical names. It will pull an officer it has previously suggested for that assignment, then suggest it again for the second slot, instead of removing it from the list of candidates and going to the next available dofficer. Pictures:

srX2VLM.png
    A shot of the mission all filled up and ready to go...

n7Od2hS.png
    But, the mission doesn't get started after clicking "Begin Assignment".
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They added collapsible assignment categories, but the UI doesn't remember which ones I collapse, negating the point of collapsing them at all. Why do these categories not stay the way I want them? Why give us a broken window control?

If I want to focus entirely on Engineering missions, how many clicks does it take to collapse all extraneous categories every single time I open the window? The UI doesn't seem to remember ANYTHING I do. That's just hostile.

zfOmQ76.png
    Seven clicks later and my categories are all set! Just how I want them. It should be zero clicks.

9AsHdTB.png
    Oh. Nevermind. I don't want to do this again, and again, and again. I
    hate using this. HATE. Not a single person I've talked to in the doffjobs channel enjoys it.

Developers, if you want feedback from the very people who will be using this UI the most, go to that channel and listen for awhile.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'll need a map then, because I didn't see it anywhere. I shouldn't get lost on my own ship, damnit.

There are seven tabs under Assignments. Department Heads is the third tab in the list. Then click on a name to reassign that department.
  • Options
    neotaraneotara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm back to say... 600+ clicks if you wish to pick officers using the sorting filter... This UI is sooooo awesome. Omg best game ever made. The person who redid the UI should get a promotion and a very large bonus. *Rolls eyes :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here is my feedback on the doff UI after the patch on July 22, 2014.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18173851&postcount=28
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2014

What the heck?

What is the point of all that empty space? Why would you open a new window when you have a field of black glass underneath it?

Do you guys remember that period in time when Firefox had tabs and Windows Explorer didn't? Did you ever try to go back to opening windows for everything after you had used tabs?

That's what this feels like. And while people are saying that this is an interface for phones and tablets, I'm starting to feel like this would be annoying on a smart phone or tablet too.
    opak1 wrote: »
    New UI:

1) Needs to be moveable I like to see the slot I am looking to fill.

2) Needs a select\deselect all button for the filter.

Latest update was progress but still needs more refinement.

Yes.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We've heard you guys and we do have our UI artist and programmer working on adding filtering and sorting options back in to the new UI at the soonest possible patch. We've also drastically improved the recommendation sorting algorithm - it will always give you the best chance for a critical success that your available Duty Officers can provide. While this is not enough for those who wish to send specific sets of Duty Officers on specific missions, it does mean that many missions can now be "fire and forget", rather than requiring any additional clicks at all to select officers.

#1: Click on Department heads and uncheck the box at the top for allowing bridge officer recommendations on doffs for assignments. With that off all doff slots when planning assignments will be empty and you will have to manually select a doff for all slots. I've had to do this myself due to your "sorting algorithm". When I have 3 purple miner doffs with 3 critical success traits (the absolute best you can get get for the fleet dil mine assignments; trust me I looked at all of them and figured it out) and only 1 or 2 miners are automatically selected, it doesn't work.

#2: Which leads me to this: I would rather have doffs automatically assigned that increase success rate, *not* critical success. The reason for this is because it lowers the fail/disaster rate quite a bit in most cases depending on the quality of doffs you have to work with.

It's annoying to see something like a 45% success rate, 29% critical success rate, and 26% split between failure and disaster with most going into failure. (not exact figures) If I manually select doffs that increase success, even of lower rarity than what is auto selected, I can lower the fail/disaster rate to almost nothing or even 0%.

Some doff assignments have a chance for 1 or more doffs to get "killed" upon a disaster causing you to lose those doffs forever. Id rather have less of a chance to lose doffs, or have them wind up injured and in sick bay for 3 days which means you can't use them at all, than a higher chance at a better reward.

In conclusion: As always I have to pay very close attention to what doffs are automatically assigned when planning assignments and most of the time I end up having to swap out some or all doffs. So in essence, your "algorithm" is completely useless to me for most assignments. There are a few assignments where the doffs don't matter at all, such as relocating colonists or turning over tribble carcasses.

Seriously though. When I have 2 purple quality security officers, at least 1 of which has a critical success trait, and the damned system assigns something else for 'Confiscate Contraband from Crew', I have no choice but to manually change that because with 2 purple security officers with no failure/disaster traits I fail the assignment half the time, even though the failure rate is pretty low. With your auto doff selection the failure rate is way up compared to using the correct doffs, meaning I would fail it even more!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    XO recommendations based on most critical success traits.

Yeah. Try doing 'Confiscate Contraband from Crew' with that. Hell, I fail it half the time with 2 purple security officer doffs, at least 1 of which has a critical success trait, and no failure traits. With their stupid "algorithm" the failure rate is much higher than using the correct doffs that increase success because it favors critical success. Even a couple blue quality doffs that increase success could give it a much lower failure rate than 2 auto selected purples.

And that's another thing. I mentioned that about 'Confiscate Contraband' a long time ago on the forums. From what I remember I wasn't the only one having problems with it failing too often. It almost never critically succeeds also. So their system makes it worse for that assignment if you're not paying attention.

Just 1 example I can think of of an assignment important to me where their system doesn't work in my favor. Fed characters don't have many assignments that award contraband, but hey: yesterday my KDF Orion got a critical success on an assignment and it gave me 10 contraband just from that (not the confiscate contraband; one of the unauthorized raids or raid a vessel. something like that) :rolleyes:

Most of the time I have to manually select doffs that increase success in order to lower the failure rate, and sometimes I even have to go to the Department Heads panel and uncheck the bridge officer recommendations box at the top, leaving me to have to manually select all doffs for a certain assignment. It wouldn't be so bad if the sorting window was fixed so that it doesn't have all specializations selected and you waste time unchecking all types except for what you actually want to see, or scrolling down through a huge list.

Higher critical success rate with auto selected doffs means lower success rate and higher failure rates on a lot of assignments. I have 11 characters so it ends up making the whole system way too time consuming. Personally I liked the UI the way it was before. I don't like the doff selection being in a separate popup window and the window can't be moved. The system was fine before because you could select your doffs and see everything all in 1 window.

Edit: Didn't realize I posted a second time in this thread basically giving the same opinion. Though some of it wasn't said in the previous post.

Meh. Whatever.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Another thing:

I started playing the game before season 7 launched (forum join date actually).

Back then I had to learn the hard way how the doff system worked after having disasters that got doffs killed and/or put in sick bay for a while.

With the old system your department recommended doffs were never automatically slotted and it forced me to click the "Show More" button to actually see if I had something better suited for the assignment (again, it was all in 1 window and easy to see what was what). At first I wasn't paying attention to the failure/success rates, even though I knew it was there, and just slotted whatever was recommended. I learned the system rather fast and before I knew it, I was succeeding most of the time and having less doffs put on sick leave.

It's been a long long time since I lost a doff due to being killed in a disaster and almost never have doffs wind up in sick bay nowadays. Of course it's due to having better doffs, but even with crappy doffs you can be successful if you know what you're doing. I don't think the new UI and system is going to force new players to actually learn it and some may quit due to confusion and frustration.

Next time before you even put a new UI up on the Tribble server, how about you guys give us some concept art and your ideas on what you want to do? Then listen to player feedback, build the system and put it on the test server and listen to more feedback on how to improve it and do so before releasing it to Holodeck. That worked wonders for the new ESD. I wish you guys would do that more often.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Next time before you even put a new UI up on the Tribble server, how about you guys ...

They....

DON'T...

CARE....

AT ALL!

They actively IGNORE all feedback from Tribble that isn't related to how fast people grind through artificial time-gates. They don't QA, they don't playtest, they DON'T CARE. The ONLY aspect of the game they have ever given a damn about is the part where they milk the players dry through punishments. ALL other aspects of this game have been actively ignored. In my time here they have actively released a big update that broke a number of key aspects of gameplay but they admitted they were focusing all their efforts on the NEXT season and wouldn't be spending much time going back and reviewing existing stuff (this was at the time, but the spirit of the comment rings truer today than ever).
  • Options
    merchisamymerchisamy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The new UI is TRIBBLE I cry. :(

I hate this auto-assigning thing, I end up never thinking about who goes where anymore, but just click Plan-Accept-Plan-Accept-Plan-Accept 20 times. Heck, why not go all the way and just have a one-click, "have the algorithm assign all 20 slots". That's sarcasm by the way.

And sure, I could do it all manually, but with the popup window it's much too cumbersome and even though I can do it in theory, in practice I end up never doing it.