test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #29 - Exploration Cluster Removal

Comments

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pug more...it's pretty believable at that point...unfortunately.

I have humane mouse traps that work the same way. Put peanut butter at the end of a cube and the mouse has no way of getting out of the only exit he came in.

That being said, sometimes the peanut butter is gone -- and so is the mouse.

Apparently some mice are smarter than humans.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • soidutssoiduts Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I actually like the fact that these clusters are being removed from the map. One less loading screen to go to get missions started.
  • generalbannon07generalbannon07 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Exploration Missions weren't really good. But they were a welcome distraction from all that grinding madness we had to face recently. Another way to generate dilithium is gone forever also, even when they say they are looking into ways to compensate that. Removing content from a game that lacks endgame content isn't a really smart idea.
    X2 better to be really really awsome, because season 9.5 seems like a major letdown to me as it looks so far.
    t643t0.jpg

Original join date: Jul 2008
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With the cluster/nebula now part of the standard sector block instead of its own sector, is this something that is planned on being maintained - or - will Ops Heads just pull from the normal sector block list and thus not provide that additional opportunity for those particular DOFF missions.

When I last checked on Tribble, the department heads showed only assignments from the sector block. Furthermore, I've not seen more than 5 assignments in the exploration cluster tab, so I don't think the tab even contains all the assignments that used to be available under "Current Map".
    That sounds like an exploit, which is probably part of the reason these clusters were removed.
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    This is how it works on all sector space maps, though...

All maps---sector space, system space, and ground---work this way, so I don't see how it can be an exploit.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • wry1wry1 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They had me until
    "With the steadily improving quality of mission content available throughout STO"
    At which point the blog lost all credibility.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We're looking in to modifying the Exploration Accolades so that they're still obtainable.

Irony. You'll still be able to get Exploration Accolades despite the fact that you now cannot explore at all.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Irony. You'll still be able to get Exploration Accolades despite the fact that you now cannot explore at all.

You are exploring, you're just delegating it to your crew.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • captaintpolcaptaintpol Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i liked the clusters, but the mission generator needs to go and a complete overall of the clusters would be amazing and some of the roleplayers would love it and respect them for revamping it
    (STO)
    Matriarch of Banished Orion Girls. Neela D'tan
    @captaintpol (with many alts)
    May we sail and have fun always and forever. LLAP

(PC version NW)
    Arwen@captaintpol TR - Tully's of RiverRun
    Mai Kelly DC-Tully's of RiverRun
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Sansa Stark CW- Team Fencebane
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Arwen@Admiral Jazdia TR- Team Fenebane
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Whilst i'm all in favour of drawing attention to the Foundry and some of the excellent missions that people have made, i think this is a bit of a cop out on the dev's part.

Basically you've removed part of the game and to fil the gap you expect the players to fill it with their own creations. That's just a really lazy way to fill the game with things for players to do. You are the dev's not us. You get paid to develop this game so actually do it, don't take stuff out and expect the playerbase to do the work for you.

Or if you are happy to swap actual game content for player made stuff, why not go the whole hog and let players design their own ships and uniforms. After all it'll mean you wont need to bother with those either. Then you can concentrate on dreaming up more grindfests and money sinks for us to "enjoy".
    SulMatuul.png
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Whilst i'm all in favour of drawing attention to the Foundry and some of the excellent missions that people have made, i think this is a bit of a cop out on the dev's part.

Basically you've removed part of the game and to fil the gap you expect the players to fill it with their own creations. That's just a really lazy way to fill the game with things for players to do. You are the dev's not us. You get paid to develop this game so actually do it, don't take stuff out and expect the playerbase to do the work for you.

Or if you are happy to swap actual game content for player made stuff, why not go the whole hog and let players design their own ships and uniforms. After all it'll mean you wont need to bother with those either. Then you can concentrate on dreaming up more grindfests and money sinks for us to "enjoy".

I pretty much agree at this point; if the devs are just going to do the bare minimum, they might as well make a single exception to that to enhance tools to be used by PLAYERS, who will actually create BETTER content for FREE. No development time that apparently is always running so short over at Cryptic, no money spent to pay more people. But tons of content. So yeah... Improve the Foundry, improve Foundry accessibility, add more customization, and THEN get back to eliminating features and replacing them with grindable ("repeatable"... hah) content and dilithium sinks. Then people will play more, and have more things to do with the rewards from those grinds and money sinks and C-store items... Thereby keeping more players, and indirectly increasing profit more than any new reputation system or grindy, boring event ever could...
  • tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't see why the blog represents the data sample gathering and the exploration aspect of the clusters as being related.

Material gathering is something like mining and it should have an easy interface that's easy to maintain.

Replacing the exploration missions with good quality Foundry may be a good idea.

That does NOT mean that replacing crafting material sources with foundry doors is a good thing.

These are completely different types of game content and not all players will enjoy both.

What the hell are foundry doors ? Places where you start foundry missions ?
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    But one of the main reasons they’ve stayed in the game as long as they have, is that Exploration Clusters remain a major source of crafting materials. As has been mentioned in other developer blogs, Season 9.5 marks a re-launching of our Research and Development system. This also comes with an update to how crafting materials are earned (most notably by adding them to
    PvE queue rewards).

W H A T ? ? ?

Just one week ago, some DEV declared the removal of Exploration, because of (easy way to earn) Crafting Materials ... is some crazy conspiracy theory, cause it has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT ... are you f ****** SERIOUS .... at least get your BS straight ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Eh it needed to be removed and replaced this content is way out dated even the borg stfs are infants compared to this content that is mostly broken especially when you play KDF which are not explorers per canon IP.

Although if it were me I would have took exploration and foundry out until it could be brought up to speed with the rest of the content as well a bunch of that true way and breen stuff that is just way outdated.

Although I've never agreed that foundry content should be what future content comes from totally. To me though I find myself never playing content like this anymore because of how behind and outdated it is its not even fun don't need to buff anything and just instantly wipe through it without any kind of challenge even in elite mode lol.

I think pretty much an exploration/conquest system would be better set in the gamma and delta quadrants if we ever get that. The game is set in a way in a future from where the last prime universe series ended where the alpha/beta quadrant is basically needing/wanting to come together so there needs to expand outward.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Farewell Third Borg Dynasty. You will be missed. :(

/em bloodwine

Indeed.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    W H A T ? ? ?

Just one week ago, some DEV declared the removal of Exploration, because of (easy way to earn) Crafting Materials ... is some crazy conspiracy theory ... are you f ****** SERIOUS ....

They're removing the clusters, and adding new ways to earn crafting materials to compensate for the ones we're losing.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I wish I could delegate someone to do the crafting grinding for me...

Hmm...
    PyKDqad.jpg
    edited July 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    They're removing the clusters, and adding new ways to earn crafting materials to compensate for the ones we're losing.

Yeah PVE Queues ... sooo ? ... you chose to ignore the point, entirely ? ... 1 week ago Exploration Removal was not supposed to be about Crafting 9.5 at all ... but I guess nobody was stupid enough to believe it ...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sorry, but IMO it DOESN'T make sense to remove content UNTIL you have content to replace it.

Also, as to the client download size as an argument as to why this was done, what? You spent a year or so Dev time to develop your "On-Demand" download system that downloads required client content as needed. If that's working (and it is the default setting as I've had friends recently download the STO client); in what way does removing this content make the base client download bigger, since i would think any of the old 'Genesis system' generated Cluster exploration maps wouldn't be downloaded by the on-demand patch system until needed?

So, yeah, as usual, STO Dev management decided they just wanted to do this (probably because they think it will boost PVE queue content play, and really get new players used to grinding that over and over and over).

IMO - STO has been content light FROM DAY ONE! Removing any content without a clear replacement again makes no sense, unless it's an attempt to force player numbers to increase in other areas of the simple PvE queue grind content so they can claim (via data mining) such content is 'more popular; and be able to devote more dev time to that particular content model.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »

Oh, lucky us! So what'd you reckon, how long before we log in for 5 mins. to delegate everything in this game to Doff minigames that do everything for me on a 24 hour cooldown, while I play and enjoy something else?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Cryptic,

That said, here is a suggestion I would leave with you. Why not Bring back endless exploration with allowing a sector for captains to flying, that plays random generator Foundry missions? These missions would be compiled by Cryptic, from submissions of players, who generator missions, content, and alien species that fits the Star Trek exploration of strange new worlds concept. As an incentive for players to spend quality and quantity of time make said missions, cryptic could give a reward to players, who's mission makes the cut into the repeatable random foundry mission list. Such a reward might be between 500-1000 Zen, or dilithium.

I'm not a fan of the removing exploration missions. I found them as a nice diversion when I don't feel like doing a queue (or while waiting), doing PVP, or repeating a mission. I also used them when I wanted to test new builds and power trays out. I also liked to do them for the non-combat missions that gave diplomacy CXP. Has there been given any thought to that? Not just the diplomacy missions that Jiro gives you but also the non-combat missions that gave you 100 dip CXP per completion? Will we be given non-combat, non-DOff repearable content to get dip CXP?

While I like the quoted part and think it would be a nice addition to the game, I don't think it should be used as a replacement for exploration missions. Nothing against the foundry but I find it very hard to find actual high quality missions, so making that the go to for everything you remove is wrong. Now, there are some good foundry missions, some that I did enjoy and liked. Finding those rare gems that are fun and seem to hold the Star Trek feel is hard, the finder is clunky and not very user friendly.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Oh, lucky us! So what'd you reckon, how long before we log in for 5 mins. to delegate everything in this game to Doff minigames that do everything for me on a 24 hour cooldown, while I play and enjoy something else?

You've just described my current state of affairs with Star Trek Online.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Make use of the enemy signal contacts. Give us daily Defend X Sector Block for dilithium rewards. The only other things those are good for is to get kill accolades at this moment.
    edited July 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

Sorry, you can't do this ... new crafting requires you to log in every hour for ~250 days without sleep ... :P
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I still support the removal of these things. They were awful.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • oslo5oslo5 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll be the first to admit that the Exploration clusters are a tad generic and sub par, but at least it was something. I agree with the idea that a Star Trek MMO without exploration isn't Star Trek and I think solving a problem by eliminating it isn't much of a solution.

Are exploration missions really hurting anyone? What about the people who will miss them and the first contact missions. To my knowledge STO doesn't operate based solely on the net worth of its quality and the Delta Volanis Sector isn't so bad that people play it and then never play again.

Pitching the entire concept doesn't help the people who hated it and wanted improvement, and it just disappoints players that were fine with it.

In essence, I'm sad that Cryptic is using the same tactics as the Devidians and just sucking sectors into another realm of existence.
  • neotaraneotara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While I appreciate the developers desire to remove substandard content, I feel that removing content like this forces players into repeating the same handful of queued missions, increasing player burnout, and only serves to make the game feel smaller and more linear. That's a terrible thing for an MMO.

You're only making the game smaller and less an MMO.

WE won't be able to change their minds... I think the whole business strategy was laid out perfectly on Risa. Annoy the player into spending more money by forcing them into liner repeatable task. STO is becoming less and less open world, and more of point and grind, or point and pay or you have to grind. I'd gladly be a lifetime member if it was more of an mmo and less of a time-gate / pay-wall... With only 8k Dil a day, you are sooooo forced into taking forever to get stuff or pay for it.

I have spent $30 on this game, and I will go as high as 60, because that's what games cost. Not hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a product I don't physically own.

*Blows on my Zelda cartridge*
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dev Blog wrote:
    While we are removing part of the game, we hope that this improves the overall quality of STO.

Wow. That's a statement for the ages right there. "We're admitting our stuff sucks so badly that removing it entirely, with no replacement, is an improvement."

-sigh-
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    I still support the removal of these things. They were awful.

The only fun part about them is blowing up those mini bio dome things that had tribbles in them on KDF side lol.

Otherwise it was just some one facerolled a keyboard to come up a name for the generic alien inserted lol. Then the standard immunity power that was put on them to try to make them hard to kill lol.

I will never forget the KDF ones that had you kill plants that you couldn't scan on a huge map lol. Unless you spent a few hours you'd never complete the mission lol. My klingons in their early years cut their teeth in battle on plants and tribbles it was so awesome and thank god its going away after not playing it for years lol.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With all the updates to Season 9.5 on the way, Lead Content Designer, Charles Gray discusses the upcoming changes to Exploration Clusters in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy

From the Blog:
    The daily missions to explore these Exploration Clusters have been removed, including the Explore Strange New Worlds and We Need Breathing Room daily missions. In order to replace these sources of Dilithium, we are looking at ways to add more Dilithium to rewards throughout the game, with a focus on adding it to rewards for single player content.

When can we expect this "Dilithium source replacement" change to take place? Soon™ as usual? (which generally means, anywhere from within a week, to never)
  • partiesplayinpartiesplayin Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can't believe this . Instead of improving these areas of exploration which Star Trek is All about ! They just remove it. No longer can we boldly go or explore strange new worlds. I have to ask myself am I still playing startrek ? Since season 6 and the launch of free to play you people have catered to nothing but new players except the veteran rewards deal. And are not considering you long time veterans and lifetime subscribers. You make it so people who started playing the game in 2 mints could earn the same fear we worked our asses off to earn with the introduction of the rep system , you take away people's crafting ranks and make them start over from scratch . You better change your toon or you are gonna loose a lot of veterans and lifetime subscribers. Stop catering to new players and start catering to veterans and end game players. I for one am not happy at all with this upcoming update . You have failed me yet again
This discussion has been closed.