test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there some secret exploit in those exploration clusters?

conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
I mean that whole part of the game was just boredom incarnate...yet there are all of these people who seem to be REALLY upset they are going away.

It just makes no sense.
Post edited by conundrumnsa on

Comments

• rondorarondora Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes its called exploring, and the exploit is to look at your map so you dont get lost like they say people were doing.
  • tontokowalski22tontokowalski22 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, there's something like 850 Accolade points for accolades that many people will never be able to finish. Also, Star Trek is sort of supposed to be about exploration. Instead of working on a useless update to a crafting system that no sane person would use, it might have been better to field some ideas to make exploration more fun and not just get rid of it.
    vSzSPTd.jpg
    I don't always feel like endlessly grinding for hours with little to gain from it. But when I do, I choose Star Trek Online
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rondora wrote: »
    Yes its called exploring, and the exploit is to look at your map so you dont get lost like they say people were doing.

There is no exploring in those clusters.

Fly to anomoly:

Provide aid.

or

Destroy 5 clusters of bad guys.

or

Beam down and scan/click 5 items

or

Beam down and kill 5 clusters of badguys

or

Gest a particle

No variations beyond that. So I don't buy it, So what was it, an easy dilithium farm running alts and doing the non-combat missions?
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The exploration sectors really had several purposes as they randomly generated missions to while away the time (which ultimately now should be taken up by the foundry) and to be able to gather particle samples and traces. I for one was likely among the many who kept a few 'aidthe planet' missions in my log so I could easily go and gather the stuff I needed for the Aegis sets while I still crafted them before the last revamp.

The loss of the missions though can help alleviate disbelief in some newer players as some of the missions went like thus:

1. Sir we are receiving a distress signal from a BORG SPHERE
    2. Oh we must go and help them at once
    3. Sir it was a trap and we are getting attacked by the Borg. I mean who'd have thought otherwise?

There were so many times that I was wishing I was playing KDF at that point just so I could run an 'execute officer for incompetence' mission.

Had the new crafting system been implemented while the clusters were still in place then it would have been a trivial task in finding missions which rewarded only the materials you wanted so you could run them, abort and repeat ad infinitum until crafting was finished.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    its content being remove with no hope for anything to replace it and yes a source for income that is not your fing fleet and rep grind.......................................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited June 2014
    Well, there's something like 850 Accolade points for accolades that many people will never be able to finish. Also, Star Trek is sort of supposed to be about exploration. Instead of working on a useless update to a crafting system that no sane person would use, it might have been better to field some ideas to make exploration more fun and not just get rid of it.

The tech doesn't really exist to make it more interesting. You throw in more randomized stuff...if you look at any game that has randomized stuff you'll see how boring and "the same" all the randomized stuff is.

If they actually craft content to explore and find...it will all be mapped out and described in every detail on the wiki within a day or so of going live.

Accolade Points...that and $0.50 will get you a cup of cheap coffee...maybe.

Also, most of the time all players really want is "more rewarding".
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    its content being remove with no hope for anything to replace it and yes a source for income that is not your fing fleet and rep grind.......................................

And the truth comes out.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Free purple doffs, either for use or to throw into the grinder to get whites for starbases. If the clusters are going away and no other source added in their place, I expect doff prices to increase significantly.
    edited June 2014
    And the truth comes out.

truth has been out since they announced it you just have not looked hard enough
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited June 2014
    Free purple doffs, either for use or to throw into the grinder to get whites for starbases. If the clusters are going away and no other source added in their place, I expect doff prices to increase significantly.

The DOff missions are staying.
    edited June 2014
    truth has been out since they announced it you just have not looked hard enough

Strangely enough I haven't seen any threads saying:

"WAHHH MY EASY DILITHIUM FARM IS GOING AWAY!!!"

They are all a bunch of people pretending they actually like the content.

You remind me of the Diablo 3 people who pretend they just like trading and want to help others who want Bind on Account removed...when in reality everyone knows they just want to sell items for real money on third party sites.
    edited June 2014
    Strangely enough I haven't seen any threads saying:

"WAHHH MY EASY DILITHIUM FARM IS GOING AWAY!!!"

They are all a bunch of people pretending they actually like the content.

You remind me of the Diablo 3 people who pretend they just like trading and want to help others who want Bind on Account removed...when in reality everyone knows they just want to sell items for real money on third party sites.

to be frank i dont care what i remind you of ty have a nice day... ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There is coffee in that cluster
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited June 2014
    One, where are the doff missions being moved to?

Two, from your response, you seem to have started this thread with a preconceived notion, just looking for responses to back it up? Besides, if someone is working on dil farming, the clusters aren't how they're likely doing it (too slow for serious farming).
    edited June 2014
    One, where are the doff missions being moved to?

Two, from your response, you seem to have started this thread with a preconceived notion, just looking for responses to back it up? Besides, if someone is working on dil farming, the clusters aren't how they're likely doing it (too slow for serious farming).

1) They'll be nebulas in current zones.

2) When people are getting upset over things in MMOs being removed...especially bad content...there is pretty much always an ulterior motive as to why they are upset. I think we can see what this with daan.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    especially bad content...there is pretty much always an ulterior motive as to why they are upset. I think we can see what this with daan.

Or they might just have an different opinion from yours ... surely this can't be ... how dare they ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I mean that whole part of the game was just boredom incarnate...yet there are all of these people who seem to be REALLY upset they are going away.

It just makes no sense.

Right... so you don't like it, therefore everyone who claims that they do must be lying and involved in some kind of farming conspiracy; cos yours is the only opinion that counts yeah?
    edited June 2014
    1) They'll be nebulas in current zones.

2) When people are getting upset over things in MMOs being removed...especially bad content...there is pretty much always an ulterior motive as to why they are upset. I think we can see what this with daan.

its not just me like i said you did not look hard hard enough here is some links

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1151431

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1149261

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1149081

yes they are not title what you concocted up in your head.............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It just makes no sense.

Yes/No/Perhaps/Depends?

As I understand it, one particular use of the exploration clusters (and not the missions there) was that the Cell ship and the Tuffli Freighter allowed transwarping there, and you could access the DOFF missions from your DOFF contact aboard the bridge. And you could invite other people to your bridge, too.
    This allowed people to rapidly fly through the different clusters and do these DOFF missions.

Of course, there are other reasons to be concerned about the removal of exploration clusters - for example, the missions there are gone, and conceptually - that means there is no exploration in STO anymore. (Except of course the exploration that happens in storyline missions, but no one counts that. Apparently)

Aside from the Accolade and DOFF stuff, I can't really believe most people miss this stuff because they did it a lot, but more because it's a conceptual loss, and there is no announcement what will replace it. I would not be surprised if that's actually the secret expansion stuff, but of course, it may not be.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited June 2014
    Or they might just have an different opinion from yours ... surely this can't be ... how dare they ...

When content is that repetative and objectively bad, there's always more to the story.
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Right... so you don't like it, therefore everyone who claims that they do must be lying and involved in some kind of farming conspiracy; cos yours is the only opinion that counts yeah?

See above.

its not just me like i said you did not look hard hard enough here is some links

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1151431

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1149261

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1149081

yes they are not title what you concocted up in your head.............

Most of that is just people theorizing on what will replace it, not whining about them being removed.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    but more because it's a conceptual loss, and there is no announcement what will replace it.

Pretty much this ... sure Exploration Clusters were not exactly the best content ever ... but they had a lot of potential for improvement, which Cryptic sadly never cared about ... and will probably even care less from now on ...

... but the OP would've known this ... if he'd bothered to read any of the other Threads ...
    Most of that is just people theorizing on what will replace it, not whining about them being removed.

A. What's up with all of these people whining ?
    B. Nobody is whining, just theorizing !

W H A T .... ? If nobody is whining ... who are these mystery people you speak of ....
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,457 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Perhaps deep space exploration can take its place in the future.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited June 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    Perhaps deep space exploration can take its place in the future.

ya sorry dont see it unless cryptic can find a way tie dill to it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited June 2014
    Yes/No/Perhaps/Depends?

As I understand it, one particular use of the exploration clusters (and not the missions there) was that the Cell ship and the Tuffli Freighter allowed transwarping there, and you could access the DOFF missions from your DOFF contact aboard the bridge. And you could invite other people to your bridge, too.
    This allowed people to rapidly fly through the different clusters and do these DOFF missions.

Now that makes sense. But again, it's not because they enjoyed it...it's because it gave them a way to beat the system.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can only speak for myself, and how I've been using the clusters. (Long breath to bring polite and impassioned speech...)

1 - To break the repetitive nature of the end game, once in a while I'd run one of these, especially if I only had 15 minutes. Instead of popping into a queue, I'd pick up a wrapper and run 3 of these to get 1440 dilithium. (Not a huge amount, but decent). ALOT of the missions were boring or sucked, but every now and again I'd be pleasantly surprised by an environment or whatnot. Often, I would run these clusters in a lower tier ship for more challenge. The encounters are much shorter than story missions, so easier to get away with if you don't have 45 minutes to kill.

2 - When crafting, I would load up a science ship, and go scan anomalies. This was how crafting was before. We even had an hourly to ENCOURAGE farming of anomalies, the Multiphasic Event. Removing the star clusters means you now need to go into combat to get crafting materials - doesn't feel very scientific or Oberth/Nova friendly to me. Means you can fight "and" craft, not just craft. I have one science alt that I play as a an explorer and crafter, I don't really take him into STFs (yet). To some of the crafting crowd who have been hoping for this revamp since before I started playing, this is a let down.

3 - Bridge invites for doffing. Big deal for those of us with Fleets that help others out that way. Hopefully, this is an easy fix in the new system of things.

4 - Diplomatic missions. Despite the ridiculous repetitive nature of these mooches asking for 10 of x commodity, it helped level diplomacy. I was hoping that sooner or later, First Contact missions (which are a little more involved and Star Trek) would get FIXED instead of pulled, and there would be more content to be had there. These could also easily be fixed as they are a small subset of the missions in the star clusters anyway, and you always had to push the button to go there. The button could just be on the doffing prompt that is being put in place.

5 - Finally they were an low-level character source of dilithium (one of the few after the Academy Event was pulled). Good combat practice early in the game (as the missions were shorter, if you couldn't finish it you wouldn't feel so bad quitting.

I understand the missions were subpar. I can see that if a player doesn't read instructions, they could go in there and encounter a buggy or hard to complete mission/etc. Similar arguments could be made of other things though. Early in my first character Admiral Quinn sent me to K7, and they sent me to Ker'rat, and I promptly got my butt handed to me by just the Borg in there. I had READ why I was going there though, so wasn't surprised. More confusing than those star clusters is Andoria. You beam down at a low level (because it is so close to Earth), and they talk about duels and whatnot, but there is NOTHING to do, and never was.

Every story mission tells you where to go next. Every side mission tells you where you are going, and why. Personally, I don't think content should be pulled until a replacement/improvement is ready, it's a slippery slope. I don't want Andoria, or the star clusters, or Ker'rat, or Memory Alpha pulled - I want them improved if possible. Turn Memory Alpha into a Lore library, put ground PvP on Andoria, improve diplomatic and exploration missions. Make things for us to do. Fix bugs and improve content.

Pulling the Exploration Clusters seems like a "we don't have time to fix this mess and don't want crafters to have non-combat and/or non-monetized ways to craft, so have nothing". It shrinks the in game universe, and unless a compelling reason is given in a FE, it'll feel forced.

There we go - not ranting, not raving, just saying why "I" was using them, and why I'm upset they are going. I understand others don't feel this way. But, I would also support people protesting the removal of content that I don't currently care for (PVP, Undine Battlezone, etc) instead of improving it.
    edited June 2014
    ok this thread no more than a witch hunt
    Now that makes sense. But again, it's not because they enjoyed it...it's because it gave them a way to beat the system.

yes getting dill after doing 3 of them in row really beating the system dude getting lot drop again really beating the system
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Look - some people play STO because Star Trek; unless one wants to rely on the Foundry, the only exploration is these clusters.

No one runs them seriously for Dil, that's just a bonus.

Just because you see no point to something, does not mean it has no point.
    edited June 2014

Something like that. Baiting for confirmation of a preconceived notion anyways (and discounting anything to the contrary).
    edited June 2014

yes getting dill after doing 3 of them in row really beating the system dude getting lot drop again really beating the system

Reading isn't your strong point is it?

Why don't you read what I was replying to.