test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there some secret exploit in those exploration clusters?

Comments

• sheracsherac Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The one thing that ruins ALL MMOs...

The Players.

You mean developers giving in to players whose opinions should have been ignored in the first place. This is why MMOs are terrible these days compared to years ago.

Players do nothing to ruin MMOs, it's all in the hand of the developer. Period.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    yes i agree players do ruins mmos just not the player you are thinking of ;)

I'm not speaking of any specific player group.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The one thing that ruins ALL MMOs...

The Players.

Yep. The players who can't listen to anything without forcing it into their "All of you who are wrong versus me, the source of all rightness" paradigm no matter how thoroughly logic must be contorted.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm not speaking of any specific player group.

so when you made that reply you did not have this group of ppl in mind e•lit•ism???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited June 2014
    sherac wrote: »
    You mean developers giving in to players whose opinions should have been ignored in the first place. This is why MMOs are terrible these days compared to years ago.

Players do nothing to ruin MMOs, it's all in the hand of the developer. Period.

MMOs were just as terrible back in ye olden days.

Mobs that spawned once a real time week...or only after server reset.

Staring at your spell book for 20 minutes to regen mana.

No instances

Play nice rules

Getting PK'd the second you step out of town.

Rquiring a full group to do absolutely anything.

Nostalgia, it's what's for breakfast.
    edited June 2014
    The question you people should be asking is simply this:

Why did the developers create a game that seems to pull in only those with just enough intelligence to install the game, but so little that they can't even grasp the most basic concepts of how to play a very easy online game? Then again, according to the developers (supposedly) players find it too difficult to even install the game. The developers agree: they think their player base are mentally handicapped. They just haven't said it outright. And yes, they said that, just not blatantly yet.

Maybe they should stop worrying about making the game playable by those with less than child-like intellects, and more about making a good game.

Perhaps they should worry more about fixing issues and actually creating enjoyable content rather than completely removing content that a monkey with a keyboard which lost half of its brain in an accident can comprehend.

Or you know, chalking it up to asinine reasons like "high install size" when people don't want to play a game that is famous for being terrible or sticking with a game that just isn't enjoyable.

But oh, my mistake, the player base here actually thinks that this game is a success. So maybe I'm just full of it and this game is doing so well that none of this matters.

Yes, that was sarcasm.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe they should stop worrying about making the game playable by those with less than child-like intellects, and more about making a good game.

Perhaps they should worry more about fixing issues and actually creating enjoyable content rather than completely removing content that a monkey with a keyboard which lost half of its brain in an accident can comprehend.

They should indeed, but that ship sailed long ago. Even before the OP showed up howling about how it better not go any other way, the game was headed down the "make it impossible to fail even if you make a concerted effort, and they will come" path.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Guys guys guys! The only exploit is that there are less noobs in PUGs. Cryptic simply wants more noobs in PUGs. When the exploration cluster is there, noobs get lost in it, and they just get frustrated and leave the game! Without the exploration cluster, the noob never gets lost! He stays and joins PUGs with his rainbow boat.

Cryptic wants more noobs everywhere. Period.

And you are confusing noob people with small sized minds. A noob can be just someone who is just new to the game but hes familiarized with videogames and he can figure everything out just wasting 2 minutes looking at the screen. Another different thing is someone with mind problems , too young, or just out of the ordinary. Because seriously, there is no way you can get lost in a star cluster. Not if you just move around. Ok, fine if you dont move anywhere, dont expect a magical popup saying to you "you need to move to reach some anomalies".. seriously..
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    so when you made that reply you did not have this group of ppl in mind e•lit•ism???

Not the you will believe me but, no.

They're one group, but not the only one.
    edited June 2014
    They should indeed, but that ship sailed long ago. Even before the OP showed up howling about how it better not go any other way, the game was headed down the "make it impossible to fail even if you make a concerted effort, and they will come" path.

You're just upset not everyone wants your precious raids.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Foundry, when last I tried making anything on it, did not allow me to use Cryptic created Enemies.

So my whole story, "The Battle of the B'Tran" featuring the Vito'D, Starlians and Strekkelans can't be made in the foundry.
    The Cryptic-made species are just combinations of alien character-generator features, aren't they? I'd have thought it was possible to put together faithful reproductions out of generic "aliens". (The Vito'D, basically, are just heavy-built Vorta with a ruddy skin tone, if I'm remembering aright.)

I guess it would be pretty tedious to match them up in the Foundry's editor, but it should certainly be possible.
    8b6YIel.png?1
    edited June 2014
    You're just upset not everyone wants your precious raids.

Do you by chance have keyboard tourette syndrome? Where exactly did that bit of irrelevant point come from? Could not find anything more valid to say to argue against his post?

What you people actually do want boggles me. The developers would do well to put good content in, rather than listening to people which I am going to go ahead and assume, are like you.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Exploration is at the very core of what Star Trek is supposed to be about. Removing all forms of exploration, limited and dated though they were, is akin to removing the Force from Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's the central idea that defines the IP.

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship, Enterprise. It's five year mission; to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life, and new civilisations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
    edited June 2014
    diotw wrote: »
    Exploration is at the very core of what Star Trek is supposed to be about. Removing all forms of exploration, limited and dated though they were, is akin to removing the Force from Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's the central idea that defines the IP.

That's one of the most intelligent posts I've seen to date on this forum.

Then again, how can you explore in a game confined to tiny little boxed in areas? Not disagreeing with you, simply stating how the design at the core is a failure from the get go.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship, Enterprise. It's five year mission; to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life, and new civilisations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!
    except that there isn't really any exploration in the clusters either. You visit randomly generated environments that you can never go back to after you leave....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2014
    except that there isn't really any exploration in the clusters either. You visit randomly generated environments that you can never go back to after you leave....

Yea, what was considered exploration by anyone in the game from the beginning was pretty much a joke, but it doesn't excuse getting rid of it in any form. It should be improved upon, not removed. Or at least replace it with something enjoyable.

But FFS, the HD space that it takes up, is not a legitimate reason to remove it.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A lot of reasons being given for why SOME people are using and enjoy the clusters, to various levels.

A lot of accusations of lying and exploiting "SOMETHING" in those admittedly crappy missions with a 20 hour dilithium cooldown.

Thank You Lord Havelock for the quote - it makes me glad that someone read that long thing, and agreed with some of my points. I tried to be a voice of reason - I understand both sides of the issue, and I myself fall on the "not wanting removal of content" side because I use the Clusters from time to time (not even daily).

People have pointed out that the devs think people get lost in these star clusters, and some others have asked why the game is attracting people with such low ability that they get lost.

I'd say the real question is why are the tutorials in the game so incomplete that people stumble into places and not know what they are doing in the first place? I have personally had to explain several parts of the game (including exploration) to friends and family who are playing, things that are ill explained, or not explained, in the game itself. There are a lot of game mechanics that are not taught by the game - you have to stumble upon it or get help. For casual gamers, this does not work. The new in-game tutorial "sort of" helped - it was way cooler, but there was still so much not in it. Shooter mode isn't even explained for those of us that are used to shooters, and even if you stumble upon hitting B, your weapon is not setup with 1 and 2 as the actions, so it doesn't work without messing with the tray - which new players...don't know how to do!

Constructive Advice Inbound

Maybe that's what Memory Alpha should become, instead of being pulled. The Game's manual - a library, like in canon, with everything all in one place. People can go there and read up on how to load out a ship properly, how doffing works, what game play options are available (if anything remains other than the odd FE and adventure zone from time to time). Strategies for dealing with specific enemies, etc.

Those satisfied that there must be some sort of exploit apparently will not be satisfied until they learn what it is. Apparently, it is not understandable that different people like different aspects of the game - apparently for some STF queues is all there is, and all there should be.

I haven't "lost faith" in Cryptic. Faith is an abstract concept that I do not assign to my video gaming experience. There are moves I like (shuttle event, Risa, etc) and moves I don't (pulling things with no replacement). I say thank you when I like something (extra ship slots for free), but I also speak up when I don't. That's the nature of feedback.

The fact that a lot of people are objecting shows a number of people (at least here) don't like this move. Whether that is the majority or players or a loud minority remains to be seen - most players won't even know this is going to happen until we get the Featured Episode where the exploration clusters implode into a warp-free zone, and Memory Alpha burns to the ground. If it isn't in the FE, they'll just be surprised.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yea, what was considered exploration by anyone in the game from the beginning was pretty much a joke, but it doesn't excuse getting rid of it in any form. It should be improved upon, not removed. Or at least replace it with something enjoyable.

But FFS, the HD space that it takes up, is not a legitimate reason to remove it.
    I'm pretty sure that was one of several reasons they had for doing it. the devs also mentioned that the missions sucked, and well.... they were pretty boring.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2014
    the devs also mentioned that the missions sucked, and well.... they were pretty boring.

that just describe how most feel about reputation grind missions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

The biggest issue for me was that it was removed with no word as to any form of replacement. Exploration revamps have been mentioned before, and there's a lot of speculation that setting Expansion 2 in the Delta Quadrant means that a new exploration system will be introduced. In which case, by all means remove the old cluster missions, but do it then, when we have the replacement ready to go. Right now, it smacks of removing a free source of crafting materials to slow down player progress, at the expense of what little Trek spirit the exploration system provided.

I know the content was very dated, but I played it anyway, because it was all I had, and I wanted to be an explorer. Now I can't do even that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
    edited June 2014
    The biggest issue for me was that it was removed with no word as to any form of replacement. Exploration revamps have been mentioned before, and there's a lot of speculation that setting Expansion 2 in the Delta Quadrant means that a new exploration system will be introduced. In which case, by all means remove the old cluster missions, but do it then, when we have the replacement ready to go. Right now, it smacks of removing a free source of crafting materials to slow down player progress, at the expense of what little Trek spirit the exploration system provided.

I know the content was very dated, but I played it anyway, because it was all I had, and I wanted to be an explorer. Now I can't do even that.

going on cryptic track record i would not hold my breath on it and one of the reason i am very upset about it as i said in one post today i lost my optimistic glasses back in year 1 of the game so i dont get my hopes of for any thing very more so after the half faction romulans was released
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I thought exploration was already removed from the game :confused: after all, where is the need to go anywhere on the game when every single aspect of the game is being made available from the HUD. You can just park your ship someplace and do almost everything on the game just by clicking buttons.
    I say lets just be done with it, scrap everything and just made a big, square, empty, room for everyone to log onto, to just sit there parked clicking buttons on their HUD. Won't make Cryptic a dime but that's what they seem to want anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    People have pointed out that the devs think people get lost in these star clusters, and some others have asked why the game is attracting people with such low ability that they get lost.

I'd say the real question is why are the tutorials in the game so incomplete that people stumble into places and not know what they are doing in the first place? I have personally had to explain several parts of the game (including exploration) to friends and family who are playing, things that are ill explained, or not explained, in the game itself. There are a lot of game mechanics that are not taught by the game - you have to stumble upon it or get help. For casual gamers, this does not work. The new in-game tutorial "sort of" helped - it was way cooler, but there was still so much not in it. Shooter mode isn't even explained for those of us that are used to shooters, and even if you stumble upon hitting B, your weapon is not setup with 1 and 2 as the actions, so it doesn't work without messing with the tray - which new players...don't know how to do!

Indeed. This was pointed out in the Tutorial Revamp, that they didn't cover the important things like how to understand the UI. Which that alone would've fixed this Exploration lost-in-space nonsense. Because all they had to do was Click the Sector Button.

Honestly, I don't believe Cryptic's claim that people got lost. Because since STO went F2P over 2 years ago, I never seen anything to the effect of they describe. Given simple statistics by what they claim, we would've seen a help or complaint thread at least once or twice per month. So makes me think they are just making excuses to get rid of content.

I mean, lets say what they are claiming is true, then why don't they at least put "Exit to Sector" button in the bottom right, like we do in many zones Or lock out Exploration Zones until later in Tier 1? Or a simple Exploration Tutorial? So they talk about us knee-jerking with our first glimpses of the new season, but yet what they did was kick us to the moon with their knee-jerk reactions. :rolleyes:
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The bottom line is this: content is being removed. Not fixed. Not adjusted. Not replaced. Removed. And that is a very poor thing for a MMO. Rather than fix something let's just drop it out.

Don't get me started on Terradome.

And the missions weren't the greatest quality, everyone knows this. But it was a gameplay option and a random adventure for my starship crew that I don't have anymore. Give me something back and I don't mean this crafting revamp.

I mean like improved exploration and fixed Terradome PUT BACK IN THE GAME. I'll buy a new ship if you do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've got a question, and I hope it's not taken wrong...just what do folks mean when they RP with their BOFFs...?

Cause, well, I remember when I was what - somewhere in the range of 5-10, where I was either playing with my "green" army men, various action figures, and the like - and well, yeah - during that play I'd voice the different voices for the different guys and gals when I was there playing by myself instead of with friends.

Are folks...uh...sitting at their computers talking to themselves and voicing their different BOFFs?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    People are upset because it halves the chances of cluster doff missions and it removes a big amount of accolades in the process. There was no reason to remove the clusters completely except that deleting them was the easy way out for the devs.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are folks...uh...sitting at their computers talking to themselves and voicing their different BOFFs?

You don't?

http://youtu.be/LMxTFqPET5I
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One of the things related to this because of how seldom they think of the KDF when they make changes. The KDF never really had to do these exploration clusters because we had pi canis and when dilithium came into the game we also had it for dilithium farming/gathering. Question is if they bothered to revamp the pi canis sorties being they are just about as old content as exploration clusters but they used to be an all in one farm especially for crafting supplies. So I have been wondering if they even bothered to consider what is being done with pi canis but most likely with them saying the war is over they will just remove it altogether like the exploration sectors rather than fixing all the glitches and bugs with it rather than redoing it.

Although as far as the E word goes there used to be one guy who used have a creative character that never left the exploration areas and unless they put a stop to him he's probally still out near the azalea one near KDF space doing his automated collection process.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Honestly, I don't believe Cryptic's claim that people got lost. Because since STO went F2P over 2 years ago, I never seen anything to the effect of they describe. Given simple statistics by what they claim, we would've seen a help or complaint thread at least once or twice per month. So makes me think they are just making excuses to get rid of content.

Completely agreed. There is only a small number of player who would lose their way, and frankly I'd be surprised how they are still functioning in real life, and how do they find their way back home.

It surprises me to no extend that Cryptic decided to give a damn or two for that very tiny minority of players, and chose to ignore the masses of players who have been pointing to game breaking bugs since day 1.

We can just wait and see what 9.5 brings to us.

Note: My critic is towards decision makers, not towards developers who are merely working bees and follow the command.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    The Cryptic-made species are just combinations of alien character-generator features, aren't they? I'd have thought it was possible to put together faithful reproductions out of generic "aliens". (The Vito'D, basically, are just heavy-built Vorta with a ruddy skin tone, if I'm remembering aright.)

I guess it would be pretty tedious to match them up in the Foundry's editor, but it should certainly be possible.

Yes, they can be designed, kind of, as aliens. But it doesn't assign them the right ships and stuff. So it's off. Unless that's changed. It's been forever since I tried. But last time I did try, it simply didn't work. After going through each race to match up the characteristics (which I'd have to do extensive research right now to achieve, since after this goes live I won't even be able to find them anymore as the only content they show up in will be removed) ... I end up with them in the wrong ships and being treated like they were a part of the KDF, not something separate.

A lot of tedious work that in the end still came out wrong.

The bottom line is for me, this was one of my favorite things to do in the game. The B'Tran cluster. For years. There's no exploit going on. I don't craft much at all. I get my Dilithium from Borg STFs and the Voth battlezone. I really only went there for the missions. The missions that everyone blasts as being shallow. But they were part of my whole character story and immersion into this game.

And now it's being taken away.

Not replaced. Just taken away.

Makes me angry. And annoyed. And then to read this thread where it suggests there's some sort of exploit being done?

Even more annoying.

Point blank ... if no one else likes these missions ... I DO. I always have.

My feedback to the devs is they are taking away the B'Tran exploration that has been a key aspect of why I even play the game.

That sucks.

And certainly isn't enough motivation for me to care one bit about their new crafting system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]