Install Arc
Options

A STO ripoff in the works.

Comments

• Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Will it have TRexs? If so, I am so NOT in.:P
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2014
    This one is already turning into one of those P2W / menu / clicky / Facebook games. Heck Season 9.5 is like Farmville with extra manure (not that I went near that POS). So if the OP is a joke ... I ain't laughing.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    This one is already turning into one of those P2W / menu / clicky / Facebook games. Heck Season 9.5 is like Farmville with extra manure (not that I went near that POS). So if the OP is a joke ... I ain't laughing.

Exactly. What can STO do that a browser game can't at this point? Nuthin'.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Exactly. What can STO do that a browser game can't at this point? Nuthin'.

Pretty much this, a lot of aspects of STO could be done via browser with little notice. It's pretty impressive what they can do with browser based games.

I would say about 3 or 4 years ago now, there was suppose to be a ST browser game, but never happened and has disappear into the void. This one doesn't look anymore promising than that one just based on the article itself, but who knows.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Pretty much this, a lot of aspects of STO could be done via browser with little notice. It's pretty impressive what they can do with browser based games.

I would say about 3 or 4 years ago now, there was suppose to be a ST browser game, but never happened and has disappear into the void. This one doesn't look anymore promising than that one just based on the article itself, but who knows.

Unity 5 which releases in July will make it possible to do just about everything STO does and more. Since it is browser based, you will immediately cut out dev costs of building a multi-platform client, it supports Windows/Mac/Linux as well as all of the major mobile/tablet platforms. Take a look at this screenshot here, pretty nice for a browser game, eh? IMHO, to me, STO feels like it is transitioning to a mobile/tablet style game anyway.

The other game you are thinking of is Star Trek: Infinite Space which cancelled in 2012 after not being able to find a publishing partner. From what I understand that game was fully developed and working, it wouldn't surprise me if this game is an incarnation of ST:IS.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    We should look into a kickstarter campaign to make a Trek game for the fans. I am thinking of something like Star Trek Renegade model but as an MMO. Make it free of P2W, open source and highly modifiable. Not an easy endavour but if you think about the amount of money that has been sunk on this wreck ... we could have had something.

I have seen some Starship mods for Bridge Commander that would put Cryptic to shame. That's on a decade old game too!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Exactly. What can STO do that a browser game can't at this point?

Some would ask the exact opposite ... .

From the OP's article :
    True to Star Trek, players build a variety of starships and create immense fleets to take into battle. Constitution-class, Defiant-class, the Bird of Prey and D7 starships are all available, as well as unprecedented super starships created with the help of brand new technologies.

It will be interesting to see if the Connie will be a leveling ship there too (or not) , but if you can take it into Fluidic Space along with say ... a Defiant ... -- then Cryptic has some explaining to do ... . :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Will it have TRexs? If so, I am so NOT in.:P

Hahahaha! I see what you did there.

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For f**k sakes, another insignificant newb gaming business taking on the ip of Star Trek. Why does Star Trek attract these sort of rubbish developers.

A full Star Trek MMO games deserve to be created by a top game publisher. Hell, its the largest sci-fi franchise in history, worth billions! And here we have crappy developers tackling the industry.

I await the day the Star Trek IP is tackled by a fully fledged gaming company like Activision, Bethesda, EA or even Ubisoft...
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »
    For f**k sakes, another insignificant newb gaming business taking on the ip of Star Trek. Why does Star Trek attract these sort of rubbish developers.

A full Star Trek MMO games deserve to be created by a top game publisher. Hell, its the largest sci-fi franchise in history, worth billions! And here we have crappy developers tackling the industry.

I await the day the Star Trek IP is tackled by a fully fledged gaming company like Activision, Bethesda, EA or even Ubisoft...

me to.... me to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why does Star Trek attract these sort of rubbish developers.

Star Trek has a lot of fans. I'm guessing that a lot of game developers, just like a lot of people in general, are fans of Star Trek and feel it would be a dream come true to develop/design a Star Trek game.

Just like a lot of people would love to draw a Star Trek comic. Write a Star Trek novel. And so on and so forth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

Well, you can do everything STO does in a browser game plus browser games can be played on any platform and are generally cheaper to produce. Depends on the specifics one may want to know.

Activision and Bethesda have both made ST games. Activision's Armada series is still popular to this day (through modding) and is worth checking out if you like RTS games. Armada II was released in 2001 and there are petitions out on the web for them to make Armada III. Activision also released the Bridge Commander and Elite Forces series of games and Starfleet Command III, all of which were enjoyable. Bethesda made ST: Legacy which is fun but had a slew of issues at release, most relating to hardware support and thus is considered by most to be a flop.
  • Options
    schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I personaly would like to see STO or a STO MMO spin off go to consules.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Electronic Arts? Ubisoft?

How about HELL no.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We have countless Star Trek games up to date, and the only ones worth something are by companies that don't exist anymore. That should tell you something...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    We have countless Star Trek games up to date, and the only ones worth something are by companies that don't exist anymore. That should tell you something...

that "worth something" and "good" are subjective? what one person likes may be called terrible by some else. gamers have severe chronic nostalgia filter.

I'm fairly sure the last one is true in general if not in this case.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No guarantees it will even make it out of Beta.

Shortly after STO launched, there was the Star Trek DAC browser game, set in the Abramsverse.

Then shortly after, there was the Star Trek Infinite Space browser game that failed during development. Which actually had the cast reprising their characters.

And now this.

So I'll be surprised if it actually gets published and survives past a few months. So its not going to kill STO by any stretch of the imagination. However, that honor might go to Star Citizen.

I don't think Star Trek DAC was a browser game, it was just some single player crappy arcade game you could buy on the consoles and PC. It was a shame though about Star Trek Infinite Space, I would have tried it out if they ever made it.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bethesda made ST: Legacy which is fun but had a slew of issues at release, most relating to hardware support and thus is considered by most to be a flop.

They didn't make it - They published it. The company that made it, Mad Doc Software (Now part of the Rockstar Empire) also made Star Trek Armada 2.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Why? More than one company can be licensed by CBS to create a Trek game.

ah yes, but did cbs sanction any new ST game/s? I'm betting they havn't, yet. and while not knowing much about it I'm thinking they will. just for the cash cow ST is
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Star Trek needs a developer with a big budget and a decent amount of development time that can bring a full 3D space game with scaled ships (Star Trek, Starfleet Academy, Klingon Academy, Bridge commander all rolled in to one) and an epic ground game with first and 3rd person options, game maps of a huge scale packed with things to do.

The game to be split in to alliances rather than individual factions (Alliance A- Starfleet, Klingons, Romulans vs Alliance B- ............. shrugs) Each alliance with its main story and each faction within that alliance has its own story that spans the entire PvE game. Dare I say it, group missions dotted throughout the game like SWToR does with its harder missions and flashpoints (they are completely optional to play).

And a huge neutral zone with stations, planets, sectors to fight over for PvP, within the neutral zone it would be open PvP and again it would be completely optional to enter (It would be the only part of the space map that you would be prompted to accept entry in to like the STO sector space walls work now).

But that's what I would like to see, its not likely to be what most people want and I doubt it would even be possible to create the game I am seeing in my mind right now.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd like to see a ST game built from the ground up that combines 4x style gameplay with Homeworld like space combat. Empire building, design and arm your own units, all in glorious fully 3d combat space.

But that could be just me.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This feels more like a multiplayer strategy game than a role playing one.

Age of Empires... i mean age of Wesleys set in fluidic space.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    They didn't make it - They published it. The company that made it, Mad Doc Software (Now part of the Rockstar Empire) also made Star Trek Armada 2.

Fine, I can do pedantic. They published it much like PWE publishes STO and Cryptic is the developer. That's the way big gaming companies do business these days. Bethesda Softworks hasn't 'made' or developed their own game since 2001 with the IHRA Motorsports/Drag Racing. All in all, their resume is quite unimpressive. Bethesda Game Studios on the other hand has been making some nice games as of late, and they all have been published by Bethesda Softworks. Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Gaming Studios were bought by ZeniMax Media in 1999 and 2001 respectively. Also MadDoc was bought and rebranded as RockStar New England but they are owned by Take Two Interactive. The studio has yet to put out a title of its own since being bought by RockStar in 2008.
  • Options
    pghjim15210pghjim15210 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i wish it was a copy. I like the ship designs a LOT better, especially Romulan ones. and I'd love to see the Lyrans and Hydrans in STO

Sadly, you'll never see the Lyrans & Hydrans in STO since that IP belongs to ADB (which has been publishing games for the Star Fleet Universe since 1979).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ADB Staff Officer
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that STO and Star Citizen are both in space, there is not much in common.

Agreed.

For starters you'll actually be able to explore space in Star Citizen and capital ships will require a crew (of NPCs or players) to operate.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Star Citizen has zero chance of living up to all of Chris Roberts promises.

It's literally promising to be everything to everyone. I especially like the promises that contradict each other.

It's also using quote a few mechanics that people aren't going to like. Insurance, permenant ship loss...permadeath...putting the best stuff in contested zones (Read as forced PvP).

^^^^This. Insurance is kinda like paying a monthly sub without calling it a sub. To get even a decent ship is like $150 going all the way up into the $1000's. Won't be any death here at STO due to SC going live. Their costs are astronomical compared to playing STO not to mention a lot of STO players don't have the gaming rig necessary to play SC.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I agree with the frustration, but er... Activision made a ton of trek games before suing to get out of its contract. Bethesda gave us that really horrible Trek game with all the captain voices. I can't even remember what it was called.

But yeah, I'm tried of seeing the IP go to small companies.

After getting burned so many times, I try to be pessimistic about Trek games. But, I will say that it is impressive what can be done in a browser now, really ever since Quake Live went live several years ago. The tech is getting impressive and there are a lot of advantages in using it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Why? More than one company can be licensed by CBS to create a Trek game.

According to Brandon before he left, Cryptic snapped up the exclusive MMO rights to all things Star Trek after the browser game Infinite Space collapsed.

Now... That's probably not all games but this outfit may be dealing with a breach in labeling their game an MMO.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

From the OP's article :

It will be interesting to see if the Connie will be a leveling ship there too (or not) , but if you can take it into Fluidic Space along with say ... a Defiant ... -- then Cryptic has some explaining to do ... . :cool:

Haha. Good catch.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hm... trying to imagine a trek equivalent for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhIJ223Lbwo

pr. this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywSvYcJr_yY

*Shudders
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]