test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A STO ripoff in the works.

willomallywillomally Member Posts: 90 Arc User
Just saw this on massively the press release reads like the new season here in STO.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/06/16/ngames-teases-new-star-trek-mmo/
[SIGPIC]

Look at the pretty mushroom grow
Post edited by willomally on

Comments

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hasn't April Gone?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Already a thread in ten forward.

Sounds like a really crappy browser game, and a hint that the developers don't seem to understand the IP. :P
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yay browser game.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    looks like a meh game so far.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wouldn't this "game" be in breach of copyright laws?
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wouldn't this "game" be in breach of copyright laws?

As far as I know Cryptic does not have the sole licence to produce a Star Trek based MMO.

I don't know the details, but if they don't, then CBS can hand out a licence to anyone they want.

If they try to put it out without a CBS licence and it's for profit - then it would be breaking Copyright laws.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If its Good I'll play it. If it sucks I won't. Its that simple
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No guarantees it will even make it out of Beta.

Shortly after STO launched, there was the Star Trek DAC browser game, set in the Abramsverse.

Then shortly after, there was the Star Trek Infinite Space browser game that failed during development. Which actually had the cast reprising their characters.

And now this.

So I'll be surprised if it actually gets published and survives past a few months. So its not going to kill STO by any stretch of the imagination. However, that honor might go to Star Citizen.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Odd, I'm pretty sure I'm already playing that exact same game with the exact same story. Except it's not in a browser.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    ... and a hint that the developers don't seem to understand the IP. :P

That doesn't sound new to me.
    Trek games have a sad history of wargames and fighting simulations while there should be much more emphasis on other things IMO.
    Sadly most game developers just want to create aonther pew pew game, without even trying to understand what Star Trek is about.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No guarantees it will even make it out of Beta.

Shortly after STO launched, there was the Star Trek DAC browser game, set in the Abramsverse.

Then shortly after, there was the Star Trek Infinite Space browser game that failed during development. Which actually had the cast reprising their characters.

And now this.

So I'll be surprised if it actually gets published and survives past a few months. So its not going to kill STO by any stretch of the imagination. However, that honor might go to Star Citizen.

Well, the day Star Citizen goes live.. STO will die, probably.. xD. The ammount of players that will finally migrate to a better game will be massive, that i can tell xD. I bet that day will be glorious... :P, but on a side note, we are talking too much. Other option is that STO is dead before Star citizen goes live..
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, the day Star Citizen goes live.. STO will die, probably.. xD. The ammount of players that will finally migrate to a better game will be massive, that i can tell xD. I bet that day will be glorious... :P, but on a side note, we are talking too much. Other option is that STO is dead before Star citizen goes live..

Star Citizen has zero chance of living up to all of Chris Roberts promises.

It's literally promising to be everything to everyone. I especially like the promises that contradict each other.

It's also using quote a few mechanics that people aren't going to like. Insurance, permenant ship loss...permadeath...putting the best stuff in contested zones (Read as forced PvP).
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Star Citizen has zero chance of living up to all of Chris Roberts promises.

It's literally promising to be everything to everyone. I especially like the promises that contradict each other.

It's also using quote a few mechanics that people aren't going to like. Insurance, permenant ship loss...permadeath...putting the best stuff in contested zones (Read as forced PvP).

eveonline still pay play 10 years after it release 4 years after sto release so forced pvp means nothing

Q "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    noobspawnnoobspawn Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    now holding, Star trek ds9, for the SNES :D
    *chuckles*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hyefather wrote: »

^^^ This! if its ok ill give it a go
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh, this thread again? -yawn-
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And STO is a straight up copy of starfleet command from 2003

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Sfc1.jpg

Only in that game there was an alert system and you could control multiple ships.

Anyone wants to know why we playing in 2D now you know
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    eveonline still pay play 10 years after it release 4 years after sto release so forced pvp means nothing

Q "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

PvP turns A LOT of people off to a game, especially if people feel it's being forced on them. But I'm not just talking about the PvP. it's the other stuff I mentioned too.

P.S. People who want space PvP are already playing Eve.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Star Citizen and STO do not directly compete for the same audience. As far as I am aware Star Citizen will require a subscription. On top of that it will also require much higher minimum system requirements. The polygon count of objects and characters are through the roof compared to games currently out now.

AAA titles generally use around 10k - 15k polygons at most for characters. Star Citizen uses up to 100k polygons. Large capital ships can be made up of several million polygons. Sure you have have a relatively low spec rig and lower the graphic settings which also lowers the polygon count, but the minimum system requirements will still be above STO's.

That in effective locks out casual players looking to play Star Citizen for free and perhaps spend some money in a cash store.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

Only in that game there was an alert system and you could control multiple ships.

Umm no it isn't, there are a lot of things different in sfc than there is in sto...they hardly compare except that both of them have space settings and you command a vessel.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hah. I wish that were actually true, because that's the game I came to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Star Citizen and STO do not directly compete for the same audience.

Yes they do. Both are sci-fi MMORPGs. Technical requirements don't change the target demographic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hyefather wrote: »

other than grinding pearls I have not played a minute of STO in 2 weeks. Loaded Neverwinter 6 days ago and between Anne and me we have 48 hours logged
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2014
    I do not deal at all with Browser based games...

I will be looking at this game from the outside, wikis, info, youtube etc.... but I will not be playing due to the browser thing...

now if this changes.... we'll see
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited June 2014

i wish it was a copy. I like the ship designs a LOT better, especially Romulan ones. and I'd love to see the Lyrans and Hydrans in STO
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Star Citizen and STO do not directly compete for the same audience.

As said above, it will because they are both Sci-Fi Space combat MMOs. And SC is going to have things that players wanted with STO since Alpha - player crews, exploration, and more.
    As far as I am aware Star Citizen will require a subscription. On top of that it will also require much higher minimum system requirements.

No, Star Citizen is Free to Play.
    The polygon count of objects and characters are through the roof compared to games currently out now.

AAA titles generally use around 10k - 15k polygons at most for characters. Star Citizen uses up to 100k polygons. Large capital ships can be made up of several million polygons. Sure you have have a relatively low spec rig and lower the graphic settings which also lowers the polygon count, but the minimum system requirements will still be above STO's.

That in effective locks out casual players looking to play Star Citizen for free and perhaps spend some money in a cash store.

From what I hear, it's going to play on the same computers people currently play STO and TOR with. Because it's for the average gamer, not those with those $3000 gaming rigs. And I'll tell you, my computer isn't anything close to high-end, yet I can run movie-making programs like 3D Max. So if I can play STO with a $76 video card that can be used for those programs, I can play SC on it with ease.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If any game is going to suffer due to Star Citizen, then it will be Eve Online. Aside from the fact that STO and Star Citizen are both in space, there is not much in common.