Options

A STO ripoff in the works.

13»

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Hm... trying to imagine a trek equivalent for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhIJ223Lbwo

hey when did sto get all cutesy :P :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, you can do everything STO does in a browser game plus browser games can be played on any platform and are generally cheaper to produce. Depends on the specifics one may want to know.

Activision and Bethesda have both made ST games. Activision's Armada series is still popular to this day (through modding) and is worth checking out if you like RTS games. Armada II was released in 2001 and there are petitions out on the web for them to make Armada III. Activision also released the Bridge Commander and Elite Forces series of games and Starfleet Command III, all of which were enjoyable. Bethesda made ST: Legacy which is fun but had a slew of issues at release, most relating to hardware support and thus is considered by most to be a flop.

Like another poster said, it was Mad Doc, but Bethesda did publish three other Trek games at the same time as Legacy, Star Trek Encounters = which was a PS2 dumb down version of Legacy, but it was pretty fun, Star Trek Tactical Assault- a Starfleet Command clone for PSP and DS, again it was fun and had a pretty good story, and Star Trek Conquest for the WII - that was a simplified version of Birth of the Federation that messed with the timeline, but otherwise not too bad game.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    I'd like to see a ST game built from the ground up that combines 4x style gameplay with Homeworld like space combat. Empire building, design and arm your own units, all in glorious fully 3d combat space.

But that could be just me.

Try out Space Empires 4/5 with some of the community modes/ship packs. You have to do some tweaking to get the race traits and technologies right, but most of the community ship packs have really good looking models of most of the major Trek races.

You can also have some fun doing ST vs. SW epic wars - watching AI controlled Tac cubes take on Deathstars is hilarious to watch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    willomally wrote: »
    Just saw this on massively the press release reads like the new season here in STO.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/06/16/ngames-teases-new-star-trek-mmo/

not sure how this effects sto directly, it should be in ten forward.
    sneezes at it.
    Activision and Bethesda have both made ST games. Activision's Armada series is still popular to this day (through modding) and is worth checking out if you like RTS games. Armada II was released in 2001 and there are petitions out on the web for them to make Armada III. Activision also released the Bridge Commander and Elite Forces series of games and Starfleet Command III, all of which were enjoyable. Bethesda made ST: Legacy which is fun but had a slew of issues at release, most relating to hardware support and thus is considered by most to be a flop.

indeed, there are mods for some of these games but you need to understand that no matter how many petitions you put on the table for the next series; mad doc is apart of rockstar games and its parent is take-two interactive who bought the group. when empire earth 3 sank without a trace, i would imagine so did their stock prices.

with activision-blizzard merged by a french communications group for a few years before they took their shares back from vivendi, they are now completely independent group, i doubt the two groups can get the star trek name from cbs, it would cost a lot of money to try it and besides activision has cod and blizzard has starcraft to focus on for now.

and i doubt bethesda is even interested in making another trek title, they only had a few years at it and they were not very successful at it, they moved on to elder scrolls and doom 4.

the petitions wont be successful no matter how many misguided people think it will.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tried, didn't like and farted
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »
    I await the day the Star Trek IP is tackled by a fully fledged gaming company like Activision, Bethesda, EA or even Ubisoft...

The day that ANY of those companies listed take on the Star Trek franchise for an MMO is the day I quit Star Trek, NONE of them are capable of creating and running an MMO up to the standards I require form the ST franchise.
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bethesda Game Studios on the other hand has been making some nice games as of late,

A very highly debatable opinion, I for one think that their games have hit rock bottom in quality lately, especially that travesty ESO.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    belidos wrote: »
    The day that ANY of those companies listed take on the Star Trek franchise for an MMO is the day I quit Star Trek, NONE of them are capable of creating and running an MMO up to the standards I require form the ST franchise.

if ea took the title they would want exclusive rights to the game so they can pass it on to bioware :D. star wars trek online.

if ubisoft got a hold of it it would be assassino-trek online.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    not sure how this effects sto directly, it should be in ten forward.
    sneezes at it.

Ordinarily even with another Star Trek game, I would say it doesn't.

HOWEVER, this new game is set after Nemesis and is centered on the Federation and Klingon Empire fighting a war with one another over Species 8472.

Just as STO, which is set after Nemesis, concluded its story about the Klingon Empire and Federation fighting a war over Species 8472.

One would suggest that the two might be linked, even if only through CBS.

It's probably also relevant (again, through CBS) that the other game mentions people flying Constitution class ships in the same breath as it mentions flying Defiant class ships. That could represent a big change in policy from CBS which impacts STO.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Everyone suggesting to think bigger for the IP, I on the other hand would go the opposite direction.

I'd give the IP to an Indie developer and see what they do with it. Ideally one with a strong appreciation for Star Trek and what it's supposed to represent.

Look at FTL for example, such a base would be excellent for an ST game. Lessen the combat a bit, make the ships bigger with more crew on board, and have more randomised instances based on exploration.

The new Dungeon Keeper kick-starter is another good example. All of them are fans of the original games and have made what looks like a very faithful sequel. Even a game like that or Startopia would make an great base for a Star Trek game. Full focus on the ship and crew management, build rooms to achieve objectives, train up crew members in science or engineering and so on.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's a feeble browser based game from a company no-one has ever heard of. I really wouldn't be worried about it. Why massively are even giving it attention is beyond me. I mean just look at the broken English of their press release.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2014
    They propably extracted all the ship models/3D from STO :D
  • Options
    cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I agree with the frustration, but er... Activision made a ton of trek games before suing to get out of its contract. Bethesda gave us that really horrible Trek game with all the captain voices. I can't even remember what it was called.

But yeah, I'm tried of seeing the IP go to small companies...

Well, when I say I await them to tackle the Star Trek IP, really I mean a star trek mmo...

Well, any company that has the man power and money of what those companies have I would gladly give them a chance to tackle the Star Trek IP for an MMO. Whether they have the IP at heart and make something that isn't like STO is another question.
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Because Cryptic is doing such a stellar job so far, right? :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Even if it'll be - as they say - a crappy browser game, we might as well have fun playing it during STO's maintenance times, or STO's " Shaka - when the walls fell " disconnects, or during STO's super - laggy times ... so, welcome to the new game! :D
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ordinarily even with another Star Trek game, I would say it doesn't.

HOWEVER, this new game is set after Nemesis and is centered on the Federation and Klingon Empire fighting a war with one another over Species 8472.

Just as STO, which is set after Nemesis, concluded its story about the Klingon Empire and Federation fighting a war over Species 8472.

One would suggest that the two might be linked, even if only through CBS.

It's probably also relevant (again, through CBS) that the other game mentions people flying Constitution class ships in the same breath as it mentions flying Defiant class ships. That could represent a big change in policy from CBS which impacts STO.

Hey, I will finally get to fly my t5 Connie!

Cryptic, you are falling behind!
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    iplawiplaw Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'll try it out, been a little bored with STO lately.