What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - June 19, 2014

Comments

• Options
    forgottenmythforgottenmyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nobody is going for it in its current state, but S9.5 is still a month away...plenty of time for them to make changes

and even if they don't, there are people out there who will use it regardless

I hope so. All i see now is crafting a couple of Antiproton consoles a day for a few meager EC. i would like to see the option of crafting mixed energy type weapons like phased tetryons, etc. Maybe other ways to Augment consoles and weapons or my crazy idea to make our own kitbash ships :cool:

but probably not. also would like to see an overhaul on the aegis set :)
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    So far after playing on tribble for a couple of hours. Ive come to realize a few things like why there's no status to indicate at how much experience each level unlocks at.

level 0 - 1 30xp
    level 1 - 2 260xp
    level 2 - 3 10,000xp

At the rate at which these numbers are rising I dread to see what level 9 - 10 will require!

Looking at the numbers if I could craft an Antiproton beam array MK XII I'm looking at 20k in dil for the final assembly of the item and there's no guarantee that I'm even going to get a purple item from this I could just as well get a white item and then there's the random element about what procs im going to get. Unless I see upfront what I'm going to get then I'm going save my resources and go buy from the fleet stores. So its made the crafting system none viable once again. Then there's the cost of the separate components which I'm sure the rarer ones will also require a contribution of dilithium. And that's with out the 75 optional contribution to bypass the time gate on these projects.

Then there's the items that the system says I need, but doesn't actually what they are except that I need X amount of them.

And then there's the TRIBBLE poor attempt at revamping the UI which is horrible and clunky. Who ever thought this was a good idea should be taken out side and severely beaten with something hard and heavy.

I for one am not willing to gamble hard earned dilithium on a chance of getting something that might be vaguely useful.

This entire concept needs rethinking. Start by keeping the original UI and integrating the new engine behind it. The experience needed to unlock/reach a particular level needs displaying so people know what their getting into. Because after what I've seen those that voiced concern over who long it took to progress through a rep before the sponsorship tokens became available will not even look at this. This takes the term grind to a whole new level. Which those that have bothered maxing in the old systems have gone through at least once maybe twice.

Cryptic states that those that have progressed through the old system will be given leg up in the new one. But I surmise that's after they've taken a proverbial base ball bat to our knees.
    Then there's the issues of what happens to the current missions that use the current data samples/particle traces are these going to be changed the same time the crafting TRIBBLE up goes live? or are they going to rush through a patch to fix the issue because its been over looked.

And last but not least lets look at the Powered Alien artifacts. The introduction of the Spire consoles was almost the final nail in the coffin for these. They have not even been mentioned in any of the patch notes and I cant find a use for them in the new system, But if they go what happens to commodities that are used to acquire these? Do cryptic have a use for these or do we simply end up with used ones sitting around in our banks like the computer core fragments?

I believe that if this system goes live the way it is at this moment in time, it will do more harm than good to the game. For once I sincerely hope that cryptic will take a step back consider all the angles and come to realize that they need to take this back to the drawing board and come back with something better.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I won't be holding my breath for any significant changes.

We all know how Tribble works by now. What you see is what you get, feedback be damned.
  • Options
    benfm23benfm23 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would also like to hear what will happen to the exploration accolades. I've been delinquent in completing them but am now stuck wondering if I should try to grind them endlessly pre-9.5 or just forget them in case those accolades are struck from the list. Any info would be much appreciated :)
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I didn't read through the thread or hop on tribble. Just wondering, if MA is closed, what has happened to the 10 or so Foundry doors on that map?

I echo Kirkfat's question here.

Or has the impact upon the Foundry Community simply been ignored in lieu of this new lottery ... oh excuse me ... crafting system.

There are doors and interactable npcs on Memory Alpha that some of my favorite missions use.
    Is this being addressed ?

or ignored ?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Okay, I have to agree there. No way am I gambling any amount of Dilithium on an uncertain outcome. Anything that costs Dilithium should be Rare, minimum.

Well crafting in Lord of the Rings Online for special items that required a crit to get the Gold (purple here) version was maxed out at somewhere in the 70s% chance.. That was a big gamble when some of the components were costing hundreds of gold on their exchange. What came along then - from their equivalent of C-Store - the Scroll of Perfect Crafting Lore. Lo and behold you could get 100% crit chance - only 995 of their equivalent of Zen. Those scrolls can now also drop from daily present awards.

Will we see something similar here with C-Store items that guarantee the crit?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I didn't read through the thread or hop on tribble. Just wondering, if MA is closed, what has happened to the 10 or so Foundry doors on that map?

Oh awesome. The good news just keeps on coming...

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why would you take away the exploration clusters?
    They were a nice thing to do when you needed a breath of fresh air.

Now all you can do is STFs
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    • Dilithium tax
    • Random quality chance
    • Random [modifier] chance
    • Clunky UI
    • Time gating
    • Unfathomable addition of a new crafting stage (old system: Materials -> Craft desired item. New system: Materials -> Craft useless middleman objects -> Craft desired item)

Oh yeah, the new crafting system is dead on arrival. But wait there's more! Now there's collateral damage in the form of removing exploration clusters and all of their associated content and doffing and bridge invites, and destroying the Doff UI, now powered by children's Mega Bloks(TM).

Who needs pertinent information when you can have GIANT SCREEN WASTING BLOCKS instead!!? Too much information can easily overload the feeble or undeveloped mind. Protect your children today by only displaying FOUR large assignments on your 1080p monitor.

This post pretty much sums up the problems.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And can the Unreplicatable Materials be traded in (like the other crafting bits) for the refined dilithium spent to acquire them (or a portion thereof), or are those items simply defunct?
    We haven't finalized a decision on this yet. But it's on our list of concerns to address.

What is there to decide?! If somebody paid dilithium for the Unreplicateable materials then they bloody well deserve to trade them in for the new equivalents on a 1:1 basis.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just so you devs don't get a chance thinking I somehow changed my mind, I'll repeat:

If you for some reason want to implement this idea of crafting, go ahead. I won't use because gambling with dilithium is just not in my nature. As I thankfully don't really use current crafting, it won't be a loss for me anyway.

BUT, I love doffing. You've pretty much butchered a very functional doff UI by grafting on it crafting only few might ever use. You have removed a large amount of doff assignements by only offering a handful of Operations assignements for every Cluster. You've removed the possibility of sharing Cluster Doff assignements on a ship's bridge.
    Please reconsider those changes. I don't want to lose one of the few very enjoyable pieces of STO because of some crafting system most people already despise.

Using current Doff UI for this crafting abomination comes as a better option.

Keeping at least blank maps (if you don't want to let players get materials for crafting) for clusters would at least keep them usable for doffing.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All I can say is tank god that my mouse has macro support. Converting all those traces would have taken hours and my finger would have given out. That's gotta be rectified or people will be going nuts.

Also not too thrilled about blue traces only having a CHANCE at converting to the new blue ones. We got a blue drop item, we deserve a blue drop 1:1 conversion, not some random chance of getting white and greens.
  • Options
    rasilekrasilek Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you're planning on doing an exploration revamp, do it right. Make it intriguing. Don't just turn it into a "reputation Farmville" in space because that is exactly what you are doing with reducing it to DOFF missions.

While I like new shiny things to earn and build as much as the next person, don't lose sight of what Star Trek is all about either, PWE.
  • Options
    forgottenmythforgottenmyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Protect your children today by only displaying FOUR large assignments on your 1080p monitor.

This is the best part imo.. them feels for the ppl who dont have 1080p monitors. #QDoubleFacepam
  • Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Having played around with this on Tribble a bit, there are a couple of concerns I have.

1: Please please make us able to convert multiple existing particles more than one at a time. There's Ctrl-click, but converting several thousand particles I picked up on the exchange to prepare for this crafting update is a serious pain in the TRIBBLE.

2: The new crafting system is a serious dilithium sink. Moreso than the old one was, AND it's time-gated if you don't want to spend *even more* dilithium. This was, I think, peoples' problem with old crafting.

3: Make crafting an "end product" ask you if you want to craft the requisite items first. And then maybe make it pick the school you want to craft them with, hell make it take twice as long per requisite item (add the 75 dilithium per item "finish now" cost to the cost of the end product) to craft the requisite items in this way. (e.g. crafting a DHC, the requisite items add 10 seconds each instead of 5 seconds to the cost of the DHC but also 75 dilithium per to the finish now price)

4: I'm not sure I like the random quality aspect of new crafting. Crafting is about putting in inputs and getting a specific output relative to the cost of that input. As it stands it's a lottery, and a really crappy chance lottery at that.

5: Crafting XP rewards need to be higher at low levels. Consider your playerbase, Cryptic. Nobody wants to spend a whole lot of time crafting crappy mark 2 antiproton DHCs just to level our crafting cheaply. Additionally, some of us already have maxed-out crafting under the current system, and that should absolutely be worth something in the new system. (as a "hey, you stuck with that crappy system, have a leg up on the new one" type deal.)

Now, on to the positives, because I know most forum posters are incredibly negative.

1: New crafting materials take up a lot less space, until you start making components anyway.

2: New crafting materials exchange with old crafting materials at a relatively fair rate, with the exception that old materials that produce common materials should maybe produce more. (they're *common*, so easier to exchange/produce.)

3: New crafting materials stack up to (at least) 1000, rather than 250, like the old ones. This goes back to 1.

4: Lower level characters can finally get juicy antiproton stuff and other energy types that weren't previously available below a certain mark level. This should extend to mark 12 antiproton stuff that has suffixes not found previously.

5: Dat Aegis shield XP. At least, if the system continues the way it is, Aegis sets will finally come down in price to where they should be (entry-level lvl 50 gear until you get rep gear) and also it makes leveling crafting (in shields at least) relatively easy.

Edit: A suggestion.

Please put in a way to upconvert uncommon materials to blues or purples. I know the idea is that you find them during what is replacing exploration missions, or during story missions, but some of us aren't going to go back and do those just to get a chance at crafting levels.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    This is the best part imo.. them feels for the ppl who dont have 1080p monitors. #QDoubleFacepam

I am at 1080p and even I am going to turn down the UI scale when the server comes back up. WAY too much scrolling going on for my tastes.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Having played around with this on Tribble a bit, there are a couple of concerns I have.

1: Please please make us able to convert multiple existing particles more than one at a time. There's Ctrl-click, but converting several thousand particles I picked up on the exchange to prepare for this crafting update is a serious pain in the TRIBBLE.

2: The new crafting system is a serious dilithium sink. Moreso than the old one was, AND it's time-gated if you don't want to spend *even more* dilithium. This was, I think, peoples' problem with old crafting.

3: Make crafting an "end product" ask you if you want to craft the requisite items first. And then maybe make it pick the school you want to craft them with, hell make it take twice as long per requisite item (add the 75 dilithium per item "finish now" cost to the cost of the end product) to craft the requisite items in this way. (e.g. crafting a DHC, the requisite items add 10 seconds each instead of 5 seconds to the cost of the DHC but also 75 dilithium per to the finish now price)

4: I'm not sure I like the random quality aspect of new crafting. Crafting is about putting in inputs and getting a specific output relative to the cost of that input. As it stands it's a lottery, and a really crappy chance lottery at that.

5: Crafting XP rewards need to be higher at low levels. Consider your playerbase, Cryptic. Nobody wants to spend a whole lot of time crafting crappy mark 2 antiproton DHCs just to level our crafting cheaply. Additionally, some of us already have maxed-out crafting under the current system, and that should absolutely be worth something in the new system. (as a "hey, you stuck with that crappy system, have a leg up on the new one" type deal.)

Now, on to the positives, because I know most forum posters are incredibly negative.

1: New crafting materials take up a lot less space, until you start making components anyway.

2: New crafting materials exchange with old crafting materials at a relatively fair rate, with the exception that old materials that produce common materials should maybe produce more. (they're *common*, so easier to exchange/produce.)

3: New crafting materials stack up to (at least) 1000, rather than 250, like the old ones. This goes back to 1.

4: Lower level characters can finally get juicy antiproton stuff and other energy types that weren't previously available below a certain mark level. This should extend to mark 12 antiproton stuff that has suffixes not found previously.

5: Dat Aegis shield XP. At least, if the system continues the way it is, Aegis sets will finally come down in price to where they should be (entry-level lvl 50 gear until you get rep gear) and also it makes leveling crafting (in shields at least) relatively easy.

Edit: A suggestion.

Please put in a way to upconvert uncommon materials to blues or purples. I know the idea is that you find them during what is replacing exploration missions, or during story missions, but some of us aren't going to go back and do those just to get a chance at crafting levels.

If you can do click macros, you can line up the two buttons for the conversion on top of one another, and just macro L-Click on a toggle. I was able to get up to around 0.05 seconds per click before the game wigged out on me, so that should be safe for you as well. You can work through a stack of 1000 in short order with that method, until they get a better alternative.

As for the random quality, it does get better as you level up; your chances of getting whites and greens goes down, and blues and purples up accordingly. I read in an earlier post that eventually you only get a small chance of anything but purples, but that's gotta be at insanely high levels by what I am seeing.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wow, a dilithium lottery grind-fest behind time gates which bloats a system (DOffs) that previously worked/looked fine (if it ain't broke don't fix it)? Bravo, Cryptic, bravo... *slow clap* Way to slowly but surely continue to kill your game!

IMHO, spending dilithium (which translates into Zen which costs real money) and not getting the item out of it that you specifically want constitutes as gambling.

WOW another person that does not get it you do not need real money to get zen.:confused:
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    karcorner wrote: »
    I don't get it, can we not do this now. There is no place to exchange out my materials. No where in notes or in the R&D says anything about it.............................

double click on the materials and a window will pop up there you can trade them in. I agree there should have been a note saying this I had to ask someone in DOFFJOBS to find this out.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well crafting in Lord of the Rings Online for special items that required a crit to get the Gold (purple here) version was maxed out at somewhere in the 70s% chance.. That was a big gamble when some of the components were costing hundreds of gold on their exchange. What came along then - from their equivalent of C-Store - the Scroll of Perfect Crafting Lore. Lo and behold you could get 100% crit chance - only 995 of their equivalent of Zen. Those scrolls can now also drop from daily present awards.

Will we see something similar here with C-Store items that guarantee the crit?
    With the guild in LOTRO, you have a guaranteed crit on the item you want. You don't need the scroll.
    Prices for most craft have gone down with all that.
    Current craft in lotro is incredibly easy, and pretty much anybody have the items they want (except for legendary and anything that need raid resources). It used to be somewhat rare (before store and guild), and something you would be proud of.
    I play about once a year, and I have crit crafted jewelery, that say something. Never spent anything in crit crafting related item (I spent some stipend in craft xp however^^).

I don't think it's good to compare both craft, they are very dissimilar. But yeah, I expect Cryptic to find a way to add something in the store and make an otherwise bad system to push us in buying. And yes, I'm referring to the changes in the DOFF prices and packs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    double click on the materials and a window will pop up there you can trade them in. I agree there should have been a note saying this I had to ask someone in DOFFJOBS to find this out.

Just an additional not about this, they need to be in your inventory to do this. Pretty self explanatory I know, but if you hover over it looks like you can do it from the bank, and of course it just moves the stack to your inv if you try. ;)
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Well it doesn't seem like anyone is responding to us, that's never a good sign especially with how much of a negative response this has had... (mind you, that's not exactly anything new).
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well it doesn't seem like anyone is responding to us, that's never a good sign especially with how much of a negative response this has had... (mind you, that's not exactly anything new).

Or, ya know, maybe they are working. Like on the patch that just got pushed to Tribble despite it being late on Friday afternoon.
  • Options
    rybaksixrybaksix Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Question to the Dev team:

Will we be able to craft weapons with specific mods lets say... I don't know maybe

Phaser single cannon mk xii [dmg]x3

Phaser dual cannons mk xii [acc]x3

Phaser dual heavy cannons mk xii [crtd]x3

etc... ???
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is there another patch up?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Or, ya know, maybe they are working. Like on the patch that just got pushed to Tribble despite it being late on Friday afternoon.

Well considering that this mess they call a crafting revamp is meant to form the cornerstone of the season 9.5 update. One would think that they would show a little more interest in what people who have tested this farce out would have to say about it.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Well considering that this mess they call a crafting revamp is meant to form the cornerstone of the season 9.5 update. One would think that they would show a little more interest in what people who have tested this farce out would have to say about it.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on a lot of responses to comments calling the thing a farce after less than a day of an incomplete build being on the server.
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I saw a patch go out. What did they change?
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on a lot of responses to comments calling the thing a farce after less than a day of an incomplete build being on the server.

From the looks of it, the system itself is pretty much final. Some finetuning might be done, but a real -needed- new revamp I doubt.
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    General:
      [*]Star Cluster maps are no longer available to access for all factions.
      • The associated Exploration missions have also been removed.
      • Captains can still conduct Duty Officer assignments related to these maps by flying to the appropriate border and interact with the special Duty Officer Assignment button at each cluster's location.
        • For instance, in the Sirius sector block, you can fly to the northwest area labeled "Delta Volanis Cluster" and you will be able to pick up special Duty Officer assignments related to the cluster there, including the assignment chains that are specific to each cluster.
      • Any player in these maps prior to the update will be moved out of the map upon logging in.
      • The Tuffli Freighter and the Suliban ships will transwarp you to the associated cluster map Duty Officer interact location.
      [*]Memory Alpha is closed.
      • If you were on this map prior to the update, you will be transported off the map immediately after loading in.

'Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?'

Blimey!

Raises the question is there a new crafting map? or is it going to be trapped in reputation like interfaces? Or even on board player ships? heck get SOME use out of them :p
      [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.