What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Powerboard fail - pay/grind to win

Comments

• Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've won once and came in second once, both on a cheap board. hit the jumps, hit the turbo pads.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    karcorner wrote: »
    There is no way to win the race against the top boards. They are out of sight by the second turn. This race is complete BS. The winter race has no advantages, even the boots are nerfed. Here if you can buy your way to a fast board you win every time. What a joke, now this is a pay to win game for sure......

interesting, I have three superior boards on three toons that I did not pay a dime of real money for. Even if you come in last you still get a reward, three runs in last place get you enough tags for monkey raising. Which is really what the race is for, monkey racing, the payout is okay, but I can make more favors from the hourly hunt (150-200 favors per hunt) over the board race (at best 60 for both races in the hour) I've already stopped racing on one toon who has enough monkey tags to engage in raising till the end of the event. Though I'll likely have to keep at least one monkey around as a pet if for no other reason: "Would you like to touch my monkey?"... "Touch him! Love him! Liebe mein affemienke!"
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Won the race on a rental today...

You were saying?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've won against the top speed boards before on the starter board.....

.....only because they blew past the finish line and didn't get the flag.

But yes, the rental/50 Favor board stands absolutely no chance against the 1000 Favor board unless they TRIBBLE up and royally.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    radastirradastir Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    more likely the lohlunaut tribble, which gives a +5 speed boost to floaters, and supposedly power boards as well

i couldn't really tell if it did or not, as an extra 5 speed isn't really that noticable

i had the lol tribble activated, but that did not work out - now, after trying some of the rep gear, i think it's the tactical readiness network of the maco-set.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Like sprinters always tell you, it's won/lost at the start, you have a poor start like most do then the superior boards will leave you for dead.
    On that race I got a running start on everyone and was at the first bend before the superiors caught up and passed me, but they never got away from me after that as I hit every jump and every speed pad between the first gate and the finish.
    Not sure what happened because I was third going over the second last set of jumps, got some serious amount of speed from somewhere and was first over the last set of jumps, and carried that speed to the finish.

Wish I had recorded that race now, as I'll probably never have another as good as that.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    karcorner wrote: »
    There is no way to win the race against the top boards. They are out of sight by the second turn. This race is complete BS. The winter race has no advantages, even the boots are nerfed. Here if you can buy your way to a fast board you win every time. What a joke, now this is a pay to win game for sure......

as no amount of money can buy any of the boards this is hardly pay to win, I would say more like play to win.
    many wise players saved all their excess favours from last year so had a head start on this year and were able to buy the top boards very quickly or even right away.
    I am quite happy to use the standard board so its no bother to me in any case.
    you only need to finish to get a prize and the prize for second place is no better then the prize for last place, finish 20 times for the accolade.
    even if you have a top board there is still no guarantee you will win, with all the other players who have top boards theres still only a very slight chance in any case.
    course you could always save up your favours and buy a top board yourself, go dance party, race, horga'hn hunt, race, sand castles every hour for a few hours and you will be well on your way.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bejaymac wrote: »
    The below the water line was probably server/client graphics lag, as for them going faster than you that's easy to explain, there are speed boosts around the track and they appear to stack, I just beat two superior boards on a rental to claim first place thanks to those boosts.
    Actually.... it might have been an emote. Emotes do weird things when you use them on a board. Which emote? no idea....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Things I've noticed while racing.

- Supposedly the very rare boards have less traction, but I haven't noticed.

- Only one person can gain the boost on the boost pad at a time.

- Only one person can gain the boost jumping off the ramp at a time.

- Time your jumps off the ramp until just before you ride off it. Jump too early and you'll lose speed. Jumping at the wrong moment may also result in increased air time, losing speed.

- Be wary when approaching ramps, your board has a small tendency to snag on them. Try and approach ramps as straightforward as possible.

- Hang to the left as much as you can, but don't do anything that'll cost you speed.
  • Options
    radastirradastir Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Actually.... it might have been an emote. Emotes do weird things when you use them on a board. Which emote? no idea....

It's testing time... :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    One thing I always keep in mind is that in any race where there are 20 competitors(and powerboard races often have more), IF everything is equal... I have a 1 in 20 chance of winning.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    One thing I always keep in mind is that in any race where there are 20 competitors(and powerboard races often have more), IF everything is equal... I have a 1 in 20 chance of winning.

Indeed, and the whole course takes all of a minute or two, and you get a few favors and a couple of tags out of it even if you just finish last.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    interesting, I have three superior boards [...] I've already stopped racing on one toon who has enough monkey tags to engage in raising till the end of the event.
    was this supposed to be a counter-argument?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    was this supposed to be a counter-argument?

Yes, it's in the [...].
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes, it's in the [...].

I was looking at the part where you said you had so many rewards from winning that you no longer cared about it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I was looking at the part where you said you had so many rewards from winning that you no longer cared about it.

I said "on one toon". I'm racing on other toons still. My point being that witholut paing a single buck I've done it with one, and am moving to teh next, also without spending a single buck. IE, no P2W here. But yes, unless the other racers suck, a basic board is not going to beat a superior. But as you don't need to spend money to get a superior, there is no Pay-2-win there.

On the first toon I'm just raiing monkeys now to get my Sprockets on.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Let be honest here. It's not pay to win, but the OP has a point. Unless I wipe out on my superior board and am disqualified, no basic board is going to beat me unless I'm nice enough to allow them to (and I've done that from time to time)

Also, because of the way its actually working (not how the devs said it is working, but how it actually is) if anyone on a superior board gets past the first set of red arrows, they're going to win unless they miss the flag at the end. It's impossible for anyone to catch up to the first place player unless they wipe (and it's almost impossible to wipe after the first set of booster arrows) or they miss the flag at the end.

Only time I've ever been able to catch another player is before the first set of booster arrows, and that's all based on me catching the first jump better then them, or them wiping on the first turn and hitting the rocks. After that, the race is done and you may as well call it then.
  • Options
    thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's not like the way that the race is designed is some completely game-breaking flaw, making the entire summer event worthless, but it is poorly designed that buying the best board guarantees you victory over people using the basic boards unless you manage to DQ yourself.

The flag clicking system at the end is also a disaster, but at least that's equally bad for everyone.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I said "on one toon". I'm racing on other toons still. My point being that witholut paing a single buck I've done it with one, and am moving to teh next, also without spending a single buck. IE, no P2W here. But yes, unless the other racers suck, a basic board is not going to beat a superior. But as you don't need to spend money to get a superior, there is no Pay-2-win there.

On the first toon I'm just raiing monkeys now to get my Sprockets on.

Your definition of P2W is very narrow. You paid 1000 favors. Others paid 50 or 500. You win. You paid more = you won. Period.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So by your definition then, people buying Acc x3 gear from the exchange to succeed in PvP is actually pay 2 win? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's not like the way that the race is designed is some completely game-breaking flaw, making the entire summer event worthless, but it is poorly designed that buying the best board guarantees you victory over people using the basic boards unless you manage to DQ yourself.

The flag clicking system at the end is also a disaster, but at least that's equally bad for everyone.
    I disagree. What purpose do faster boards have, other than making you go faster?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I disagree. What purpose do faster boards have, other than making you go faster?

The more expensive boards look cooler. Is that not enough? Why should they also effectively guarantee that you will win the race against someone using a basic board? It would be one thing if a basic board still had some shot of winning against the expensive one, but the difference in speed is so dramatic that there's no chance.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Grind-to-Win Power Boards is also fail due to Steal-The-Flag mechanics.

Remove that flag TRIBBLE from both the Winter and Summer races. If you cross the finish line first then you are FIRST. Please program races properly!
  • Options
    daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What is wrong the speed boost need to be fix. More that 1 time i have lost the 1st place become i do not get it (i go fist and do not give me a speed bonus but the second one who jumps get the bonus and so 1,2,3, speed boost not given and i lose) TRIBBLE:mad:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Well, there were two things referred to as "hoppers". the first was simply people who hopped to avoid sliding, the second(and actually a problem) was people who (apparently) used some sort of macro to make their character jump constantly while racing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    neotaraneotara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Sure thing kid.

"how else will they learn?" Sheldon Cooper. The events mechanics suck, the time gates really really suck... They can do better... A lot better!!
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    neotara wrote: »
    "how else will they learn?" Sheldon Cooper. The events mechanics suck, the time gates really really suck... They can do better... A lot better!!

The problem with this statement is that their history in this game suggests no they can't or no they won't.
  • Options
    tinkerghosttinkerghost Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I ran the race four times and got no rewards at all. There was never a way to interact with the finish flag. Of course, the people with superior boards always pull far ahead of the pack, so I don't expect to win or even place. But no reward at all, eh? Just a big FU.

If you didn't get a reward then the problem was with you not the game. If you click on the join the race & don't get disqualified, you get 2 tags & 5 favors. You do have to be within about 5' and facing the flag to grab it, but it's not that hard to grab on the run once you learn to angle it right.

For the record, I've won 2nd 3 times on a basic board and yes that's in heats with people on superior boards. I'm not the best twitch player so I'm sure others can do better.