test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Powerboard fail - pay/grind to win

suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
Way to ruin an otherwise fun an interesting event activity, Cryptic...

I can't call this a real "pay to win", as you can grind favors for better powerboards, but that doesn't change the fact that the race is an unbalanced mess, where a person on a Rental/Basic Powerboard CANNOT beat a player using Superior Powerboard unless the latter makes some mistake or just sucks.

I've tried doing my best on a Rental Powerboard, but if there were people using Superior ones then most of the time they've passed me the moment the race started, and I kept losing them out of my sight.

On the other hand, when I was using a Superior Powerboard myself there were times I had to wait several seconds for other participants to arrive to the finish line after I've already won.

Considering this activity is time-gated, grants an accolade and a title for the first place, and is necessary to collect monkey tags, the fact that you've made it "P2W" is such a fail I can barely comprehend it. Were you really that desperate that you had to give players a pretext to grind even more favors, so they wouldn't be handicaped in what should otherwise be a fair race?

Fast and Flurrious at the very least was balanced, as the key to victory lied in individual players' techniques. In this case it's Powerboard first, player's skill second.

So yeah people, enjoy spending 1000 Favors (per character) on a Powerboard that will make you competitive in the event. Either that or just hope other participants will fail in some way or will make a mistake, as there's no way you're gonna beat a superior powerboard with a lesser one.
PyKDqad.jpg
Post edited by suaveks on

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ok, the race is just the summer version of the Winter Race for tags. But... instead of just a race of skill Cryptic added in the P2W element of different speed hoverboards. This is the part I find bad.

I had favors from last year, so bought my main toon the Superior board and on my first race I won by a good 10 seconds. Looked like everyone else had the basic boards. Now, on my alt toons I bought the basic boards and can tell you it will be all but impossible to place, let alone come in 1st, against people w/ the superior boards.

People whined alot about the Winter race and that was a 'fair' race (except for the damn hoppers!). And this one suffers from the same finish line problem of having to 'grab' the flag but half the time the 2nd place guy somehow grabs it first.

Not sure who's idea it was to have Pay-to-Win hoverboards to get monkey tags, but it's a horrible idea. Do you guys actively look for ways to TRIBBLE up good things or does it just come naturally?

SOLUTIONS:
    A.) Make all boards the same speed during race time.
    B.) Make the minimum tag reward 6, so everyone gets enough tags for the day.
    C.) Winners per board type. TRIBBLE races TRIBBLE, uber races uber.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the real issue is in how the rewards are too top heavy. If it was 9/6/4/3 it wouldn't be quite as disappointing to come in 7th out of 20+ people.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know people don't like those who hop and jump in the winter race, but at least the winter race is indeed a fair race. No grind or P2W stuff needed. This is completely the opposite, and is doubly bad because it's the only way to get monkey tags.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2014
    /10 characters
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "I didn't win the first race on the first day when it was super busy, it needs to be nerfed!"

Even at a fairly casual pace you can get the fastest board in a a few days, and in a couple weeks a lot less people will be doing it, just like the winter version, and you'll be able to easily get the accolades. It's June 5th, you have until July 17th to do everything.

But its easier to freak out and go straight to maximum hyperbole on the forums then have a modicum of patience or common sense.
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    "I didn't win the first race on the first day when it was super busy, it needs to be nerfed!"

Even at a fairly casual pace you can get the fastest board in a a few days, and in a couple weeks a lot less people will be doing it, just like the winter version, and you'll be able to easily get the accolades. It's June 5th, you have until July 17th to do everything.

But its easier to freak out and go straight to maximum hyperbole on the forums then have a modicum of patience or common sense.

/10char /threadwin
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Yes because people should have to grind out the equivalent of 35 million EC worth of trinkets if you want to meanfully participate in the new activity. Whats a game without grind, even for the silly stuff, right? :rolleyes:

To the general topic though, I'd just be happy with the ability to pull my camera back enough to see, and the course to stay up between events so I can figure out how to get the jumps right.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

lol, I DID win the first race I did, and I say it needs to be made fair. If you call being fair 'nerfed' then so be it. ;)
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I ran the race four times and got no rewards at all. There was never a way to interact with the finish flag. Of course, the people with superior boards always pull far ahead of the pack, so I don't expect to win or even place. But no reward at all, eh? Just a big FU.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I ran the race four times and got no rewards at all. There was never a way to interact with the finish flag. Of course, the people with superior boards always pull far ahead of the pack, so I don't expect to win or even place. But no reward at all, eh? Just a big FU.

Weird. As long as you finish the race you get 2 tags and 5 favors. Unless there's some weird limit to the number of times the Finish flag can be grabbed.
  • Options
    ryvakenryvaken Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A friend of mine has the same problem. He finished second and couldn't grab that flag or any of the others. This has happened every time he's raced. He is pissed.

And as to the pay to win complaint, I've beaten enhanced boards while riding a rental. One time I finished first against a standard board (and a third guy who has no board...that was weird) and another I came in second against a well-populated race of standard and enhanced boards. In other races I didn't place but still came out in front of the pack of "I bought a shiny board and don't know how to race" types.

A board helps. Skill helps more.
    Admiral Ryvaken, USS Arthra (NCC-947749), Aventine class.
    As the seventy-fourth Rule of Acquisition clearly states, knowledge equals profit. And I am a very rich Ferengi.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Common sense tells you to grind for hours just to be competitive in a time-gated event, which in itself is actually yet another grind?

Why not post a huge sign "NO FUN ALLOWED" while at it?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hey, OP?
    Here's a thought - Don't do the Event.
    Here's another - Stop telling the rest us about it when you don't like something in STO.
    Last thought - Go play something other than STO if it hurts so badly you cannot stop yourself from crying out in public.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Stop posting feedback in a Feedback section of the forums!
    Sure thing kid.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe more of us should check to make sure our Man Card is all up to date before posting as well. :D

Kidding aside, if someone has a solution to an alleged problem they should post this as well, along with their complaint. When I was on a game dev team, I learned quickly some people will always complain to complain. No matter what we did, they'd just proceed to complain about something else. All while offering no solution to the alleged problem. The complainers seemed to be drawn to a Feedback Section like moths to a flame. It also seemed they couldn't stop themselves. They were helplessly compelled to dislike something somewhere and they had to do so in public.

After awhile, when we clocked in and it was our turn to check the forums(or, as we so lovingly referred to it 'Our Day In The Barrel' - lol), we stopped looking for posters and words on a list we complied. We were not going to make them happy anyway so there was no point at all in trying.

OTOH, if someone had a solution and posted this as well, we would look at it. And we'd stay late to do so if it was good enough.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It's not a grind unless you want it to be one.

Favors? Only usable to purchase items that are only usable on Risa.
    Powerboards? Not essential to anything.

Competition? It's just a bit of fun. I've run it a few times, on a rental board. Haven't won yet. Doesn't matter - it's just a bit of fun.
    It is a grind. It's just a matter of whether one wants to participate in it or not.

There are things you can buy with Favors that are useable outside of Risa, like the new Duty Officers or last year's Outfits.

Powerboards - with this P2W approach - are essential to remaining competitive in a PVP race. As I've said - unless players on Superior Powerboards don't know what they're doing or leave the track, you've got little to no chance of winning on a lesser powerboard.

And if you want to breed the new Feather Monkey pets you've got to grind the race, yet you only get two tags if you lose.

So in the end Cryptic expects players to grind 1000 Favors to buy a an expensive Superior Powerboard that will keep them competitive in a time-gated event necessary to obtain a new acco/title/non-combat pet.

Whether it's all necessary/useful is all up to an individual. As I've said in the first post - the race is actually FUN and well thought out, but Cryptic ruined it with the "P2W" aspect, making everyone with no time/money/will to get a Superior Board basically handicapped. With poor rewards at the end and no distinction between players, it's really discouraging. I don't mind losing as long as I believe everyone have the same chances of winning. If that was the case I would gladly "grind" this event "for fun".

EDIT
    @thunderfoot006
    We're not the devs. It's the devs who know better how to change things they've made. Most of the time players' suggestions are simply impossible to incorporate into the game. What is more - the fact that we dislike something is feedback as well, as long as arguments are presented as to WHY we dislike it. Even if you don't expect this particular issue to be fixed, it can be important when it comes to future content. Why do you think the Event ships now cost 40 Pearls on alt characters if you've already unlocked them? That's because of the Anniversary Grind that people were unhappy with. There were suggestions and complaints posted, but Cryptic couldn't and wouldn't do anything back then, yet now we see that they've taken players' complaints into consideration.

I don't know what could be done to fix the PvP race that woudn't involve nerfing the boards players already bought. Let's be realistic - such thing will never happen post fact. So aside of buffing the overall rewards for all participants (let's say, minimum 3 Tags for everyone) and hoping Cryptic won't make such a mistake again there's not much to say - thus the complaint.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don't forge the click to win as well. :P
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    First race jumped the start and got a DQ
    Second race crossed the finish line in second but missed the flag and got DQ for leaving course while turning around,
    Third race was way behind, but got 3rd thanks to everybody else missing the flag
    Fourth race placed nowhere but I at least finished the race without a DQ

Those were run on rentals across three of my alts, now do those results bother me, not in the slightest as I'm doing it for fun, couldn't care less about the accolades as I don't actively collect them, if I get them then fair enough but if I don't then meh who cares.

I also now that as long as I finish three races I'll have enough tags to start on the monkeys, so it's not like you have too win the race.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am not wound up in the slightest over this issue, but this particular suggestion does have merit. Kinda like auto racing where they have different classes.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Too many complaints when it isn't that hard to grind for favors (100 per hour). As for the desperate people that paid for the boards, I made 70mil EC off them. If you need the accolade, just run the race 20 times, it takes 10 hours or a win.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ryvaken wrote: »
    A friend of mine has the same problem. He finished second and couldn't grab that flag or any of the others. This has happened every time he's raced. He is pissed.

And as to the pay to win complaint, I've beaten enhanced boards while riding a rental. One time I finished first against a standard board (and a third guy who has no board...that was weird) and another I came in second against a well-populated race of standard and enhanced boards. In other races I didn't place but still came out in front of the pack of "I bought a shiny board and don't know how to race" types.

A board helps. Skill helps more.
    did he remember to click the button to start the race? If you don't, you won't get anything for it. (Just like the winter race)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Kidding aside, if someone has a solution to an alleged problem they should post this as well, along with their complaint.

Ummm... I posted some solutions on post #2. :P
    SOLUTIONS:
    A.) Make all boards the same speed during race time.
    B.) Make the minimum tag reward 6, so everyone gets enough tags for the day.
  • Options
    onyxmonolithonyxmonolith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would add that they please make the finish line flags spawn in the same spot. The boards are not great at sudden changes of direction. If the 2nd or 3rd place flag suddenly spawns outside of your current line, the overwhelming probability is that the flag is going to end up behind you and once that happens, even if you are 5-7 seconds ahead of the next racer, you are going to end up with a 'finished' result at best even though the race is presumably over.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I still can't comprehend why Cryptic won't get rid of these flags and just make it yet another checkpoint, with automatic rewards given to people who cross the finish line.

Can't really be bothered with the powerboard race, but during winter event there were tons of people who just missed the flag because someone else grabbed it first, while the 2nd/3rd place appears in a different place.

Of course there are ways to deal with this, but overall this should be automatic, not involving any interaction with an object.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    From what I've gathered the race isn't WAI at the moment anyway, so it'll be interesting to see how it does work once it has been fixed.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    radastirradastir Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Now, where i grinded a Fed board i saw two times another Fed/superior board passing me even faster, the last time the faster board was going on the ground under the water line - what for a hellish bug/exploit is this?!
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    radastir wrote: »
    Now, where i grinded a Fed board i saw two times another Fed/superior board passing me even faster, the last time the faster board was going on the ground under the water line - what for a hellish bug/exploit is this?!

The below the water line was probably server/client graphics lag, as for them going faster than you that's easy to explain, there are speed boosts around the track and they appear to stack, I just beat two superior boards on a rental to claim first place thanks to those boosts.
  • Options
    radastirradastir Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bejaymac wrote: »
    The below the water line was probably server/client graphics lag, as for them going faster than you that's easy to explain, there are speed boosts around the track and they appear to stack, I just beat two superior boards on a rental to claim first place thanks to those boosts.

That would be fine, if it were the speed boosts, but they got away right from the beginning...

The guy floating on the sandy ground has been there the whole race.

Maybe some broken set bonus or something like this?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    radastir wrote: »
    That would be fine, if it were the speed boosts, but they got away right from the beginning...

The guy floating on the sandy ground has been there the whole race.

Maybe some broken set bonus or something like this?
    more likely the lohlunaut tribble, which gives a +5 speed boost to floaters, and supposedly power boards as well

i couldn't really tell if it did or not, as an extra 5 speed isn't really that noticable
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There is no way to win the race against the top boards. They are out of sight by the second turn. This race is complete BS. The winter race has no advantages, even the boots are nerfed. Here if you can buy your way to a fast board you win every time. What a joke, now this is a pay to win game for sure......