test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (6AM - 10AM May 29, 2014) [COMLETED]

Comments

• lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mjarbar wrote: »
    As someone once said - the graphics are amazing but the storyline sucks.

Maybe RL needs the bug fix!!!

And its pay2win and has perma death. No patch will fix this RL.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lebtron wrote: »
    And its pay2win and has perma death. No patch will fix this RL.
    Don't forget there are exploiters abound. Do NOT touch them, they might put you under a spell. We've asked for a fix for this as well... But you know, those RL dev's are horrid.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ha ha I like how they manage to get to work early to fix the bot problem. So they can get to work early when the profits are being drained but not when the customers request it.

I like how the other week I was chastised for saying so and told they keep to a scheduled maint time. Well that's what I was told and oh look scheduled maint time has changed because why ? because the customer deserves it ? ha ha we wish !

You lot at cryptic/pwe are a bunch of hypocrites !
  • jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited May 2014
    This week's maintenance will be a longer downtime as we are doing extra work on the servers at our service center.

We hope this will help with recent issues and unexpected outages.

As far as this thread is concerned, things got real ugly real quick, and that is a shame.

We have protocols we are expected to follow each week with maintenance, and we will continue to do so. This week doesn't have a list of issues being fixed with this maintenance, but we will continue to monitor the Bug Reports and Forum posts and reply accordingly.

Thanks for your patience everyone, please keep on track with this discussion thread and refrain from Flaming/Trolling.

~CaptainSmirk

Perhaps it got ugly so fast because the words "stability update" were used and people have learned that those words mean matters will become worse. People expect another four hour down time tomorrow, followed by a weekend of random disconnects and "unexpected outages"

But I'm not ranting or raging at you. I do have a contructive suggestion. I'd suggest moving weekly maintance from Thursdays to Monday or Tuesdays. The weekend rush is over and, by doing maintanence early in the week, you guys have the rest of the week to fix what murphy's law affects before the next weekend rush.
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Well how ferengi is it to have to pay your team of developers lots of over time to do it during this time? Which is about the prime time for China?

HAH! :P

May I play the devils advocate. If paying your team of devs their overtime is an issue, why are "you" in the business afteral ? You can twist it and turn it as much as you like, but nearly everyone in this IT-business are aware of the inreggularities of the job, from the guy that stands in for the hardware maintenance to the network manager. If payment of overtime, which are regular, is a problem or a major cost in the books of PWE/Cryptic, mebbe it's time to reflect upon the branch where they are in. However, there is a solution if you wanna stick to a weekly fixed maintenance, to prevent the cost of overtime : Make sure that your system is reduntand, such when one server system is down for maintenance, the back up server system is taking over without a glitch. Once the main server system is back up and patched, you can switch back to it without the fact that the players will notice it and patch then the back up servers. Yes, it's a costly investment, but one that saves you more then the cost of losing gamers and costumers.

* quoted YOU is meant PWE/Cryptic, not you personal.
  • mcmidjitmcmidjit Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    can i just express my disappointment at the fact that server still always go down during EU playing hours? as always, it always interrupts my playing, it has been this way since beta and has always annoyed me. I work 45 hours a week and dont get alot of time to play so it would be nice if for once some people in the rest of the world had to suffer downtime in their playing hours. Thanks and thanks
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I downloaded this game to play it not be booted every five days or so for maintenance. Fix the issues and be done with it already. This TRIBBLE really sucks :mad:. If you people keep this up your going to lose and avid player. Get your TRIBBLE in order!!!!!

Get used to it maintenance is done every thursday
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Jesus, all of this TRIBBLE over a routine bout of weekly maintenance.

Some people need to flush the stupid pills and take a chill pill instead.:rolleyes:

Its not that. Usually a weekly patch will mean they will fix (or at least try) 2 or 3 bugs, every week. That is better than nothing i guess. But for the last weeks or months, they didnt try to fix ANYTHING, and they are doing the same week after week. Its something to be upset, and concerned, but it looks like the majority of people dont give a fuxxx about it, and they keep saying things like "this game is like any other mmorpgh" hahahaha!. Ok, if that will be the case we will not have between our hands thousands of bugs pending to be solved, a lot of em since ages ago, and a lot of em really game breaking and really important. People still didnt realize that the most important thing in this game right now is fixing bugs. But they dont care. Ok, suit yourself, and dont be upset when in the year 2015 things are so terrible bad that it will be embarrasing playing. Of course that will be the end of STO. But dont worry, since this is what cryptic wants since time ago. Its just some of you are really naive and ignorant, no offense, its a fact.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    t0xsick2 wrote: »
    not sheldon cooper hugs :P

But you only get those for giving him Leonard Nimoy's DNA so he can grow his own Spock, and who can scrounge that up at a moment's notice? :D
    questerius wrote: »
    I've been there, outside, it's a scary place indeed.

And the environmental controls are installed all wrong- go out there and just try to find a thermostat or light switch. Good luck with that.
    mcmidjit wrote: »
    can i just express my disappointment at the fact that server still always go down during EU playing hours? as always, it always interrupts my playing, it has been this way since beta and has always annoyed me. I work 45 hours a week and dont get alot of time to play so it would be nice if for once some people in the rest of the world had to suffer downtime in their playing hours. Thanks and thanks

How about this: You go to work during your playing hours (and still maintain your regular schedule as well) as a show of solidarity for the guys at Cryptic doing maintenance during their sleeping hours to cater to your "you guys should work when it's convenient for me instead of for you" demand, and maybe they'll consider it. That's fair, isn't it?

Nevermind the absurdity of that "so it would be nice if for once some people in the rest of the world had to suffer downtime in their playing hours" malarkey. We've all had plenty of "downtime during our playing hours" during things like post-season-release glitchiness, days where the server's up and down like a yo-yo for 24 hours, when Cogent can't get their act together and people along certain internet paths can't log in, and so on.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just a friendly FYI to the powers that be: I haven't played the game since the severe tray issues were introduced (a few weeks ago). I log in to collect the rep-of-the-day marks, but that's it. And I certainly haven't bought any new lockbox ships.

And no, I'm not 'threatening' to quit: the game, in its current state, is simply unplayable to me. Fix some very basic things first, and I'll be back.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jacqueline3752jacqueline3752 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Can we just stop and share some hugs? =(
    t0xsick2 wrote: »
    *feels a breeze* where is this fresh air coming from!?!?!?

that a stupid question :P
  • mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    4 hours downtime for server stability upgrades? Well, crapola. Now I have to go out and pretend that I'm a productive citizen. Stuff that! I'm making a pizza!
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • mcmidjitmcmidjit Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How about this: You go to work during your playing hours (and still maintain your regular schedule as well) as a show of solidarity for the guys at Cryptic doing maintenance during their sleeping hours to cater to your "you guys should work when it's convenient for me instead of for you" demand, and maybe they'll consider it. That's fair, isn't it?

Nevermind the absurdity of that "so it would be nice if for once some people in the rest of the world had to suffer downtime in their playing hours" malarkey. We've all had plenty of "downtime during our playing hours" during things like post-season-release glitchiness, days where the server's up and down like a yo-yo for 24 hours, when Cogent can't get their act together and people along certain internet paths can't log in, and so on.

i know plenty of people who maintain servers here in the UK that work whacky hours because they have to cater for a US market. I'll also have you know i am actually a US citizen who happens to live in the UK. I do have alot of solidarity for the guys at Cryptic, they work hard and do a good job but itd be nice to have a change in the downtimes once in a while as there is a pretty big player base here in europe and these thursday daytime downtimes is a big big hassle here, it mgiht not be for the US timezones but it is here
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Our weekly scheduled maintenance has begun! We expect downtime to last for 4 hours and I will post again once it is complete. Thanks!

~CaptainSmirk
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We just had a situation where most of the player base was locked out of the game because of an issue with the account server.

Now we are having a four-hour extended maintenance period to deal with server stability issues.

Cryptic have been known to make wrong decisions, but this sure as heck isn't one of them.

Yes, yes, of course it would be nice if all the bugs got fixed and there was no downtime ever.... It isn't going to happen. This is not (as it were) a perfect world. Yes, for us Europeans, the regular maintenance happens at a mildly irritating time... but at least it is regular maintenance, and I can plan around it.

There are any number of things to get annoyed about (mildly annoyed, it's just a game for Heaven's sake, people), but a few hours of maintenance downtime is not one of them.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    There are any number of things to get annoyed about (mildly annoyed, it's just a game for Heaven's sake, people), but a few hours of maintenance downtime is not one of them.

What is this heresy you are spreading? Are you one of those heretical heresy spreaders? I just bet you are. I'm watching you!
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Our weekly scheduled maintenance has begun! We expect downtime to last for 4 hours and I will post again once it is complete. Thanks!

~CaptainSmirk

I am ready...

My bacon levels are at one thousand percent!

Time for the long-haul of server downtime...
  • medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mrlizardo wrote: »
    What is this heresy you are spreading? Are you one of those heretical heresy spreaders? I just bet you are. I'm watching you!

Oi! What's this, then? Crypticanes eunt domus? People called Cryptic, they go, the house?
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Its not that. Usually a weekly patch will mean they will fix (or at least try) 2 or 3 bugs, every week. That is better than nothing i guess. But for the last weeks or months, they didnt try to fix ANYTHING, and they are doing the same week after week. Its something to be upset, and concerned, but it looks like the majority of people dont give a fuxxx about it, and they keep saying things like "this game is like any other mmorpgh" hahahaha!. Ok, if that will be the case we will not have between our hands thousands of bugs pending to be solved, a lot of em since ages ago, and a lot of em really game breaking and really important. People still didnt realize that the most important thing in this game right now is fixing bugs. But they dont care. Ok, suit yourself, and dont be upset when in the year 2015 things are so terrible bad that it will be embarrasing playing. Of course that will be the end of STO. But dont worry, since this is what cryptic wants since time ago. Its just some of you are really naive and ignorant, no offense, its a fact.

When I joined up two years ago people were complaining about STO being such a buggy game. Two years later its still a buggy game but is it a terrible one? No, because by in large it works and works well. The last two weekly updates didn't offer any nice, satisfying change lists but so what? Spend some time with other genres and you'll be glad what Cryptic can do with their MMO.

This is all basically about entitlement. You've had to deal with bugs and as a customer you'd like them taken out of your soup. When cryptic doesn't you escelate, its no longer about you (since that didn't offer enough social pressure to force a solution), it's about how the game at large is going to hell. It's about how in a year things are going to be terrible or embarassing when the pace of fixes and any experience playing the game over any length of time should have you finding other arguments to make.

Take a step back and don't fall into the enticing path of ingignance when those you feel are socially obligated to you (ie. Cryptic because you play their game) don't live up to your expectations. Adjust the expectations. Not every update has to be about balance (there's other important parts of the game too you know). Not every bug has to be fixed in order for the game to be fun or successful or however else you judge its quality (besides the lack of bugs, that's a sure path to perpetual missery especially in this genre.)

And whatever else happens know that the abiltity to improve STO is dependent on much greater sociological factors (see. how many people throw money at cryptic, how cryptic responds to their own position) that YOU cannot change. There is nothing that you as an individual can say that would force cryptic to rethink their entire development schedule nor is there anything that a forum could say that would do the same. Why? Because words aren't how the world works. It's what we all use but there are so many other more pressing concerns that can't be waved away by a pithy post that portends doom and gloom if Cryptic doesn't change their attitude right now.

So just sit back and take the game as it comes. It will be what it will be and while we may be able to provide directed feedback we cannot change the course of this little part of history by throwing an attitude around.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited May 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    We just had a situation where most of the player base was locked out of the game because of an issue with the account server.

Now we are having a four-hour extended maintenance period to deal with server stability issues.

Cryptic have been known to make wrong decisions, but this sure as heck isn't one of them.

Yes, yes, of course it would be nice if all the bugs got fixed and there was no downtime ever.... It isn't going to happen. This is not (as it were) a perfect world. Yes, for us Europeans, the regular maintenance happens at a mildly irritating time... but at least it is regular maintenance, and I can plan around it.

The problem is when you use that weekly maintenance time to do, nothing? . Because thats what cryptic is doing week after week. If you tell me that the game is down EVERY DAY for a couple of hours, but cryptic is using their resources to FIX the bugs of the game, i will not care at all. I will even be willing to stay without playing for weeks, if i know they are really working on fixing bugs.

Thats not the case, not even close.. lol. I dont care when or how much the maintenance takes, i just want cryptic to care about their customers and start doing things right. But i dont see this happening, since a lot of people really dont give a fkk about having a good game with a good future.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mcmidjit wrote: »
    i know plenty of people who maintain servers here in the UK that work whacky hours because they have to cater for a US market. I'll also have you know i am actually a US citizen who happens to live in the UK. I do have alot of solidarity for the guys at Cryptic, they work hard and do a good job but itd be nice to have a change in the downtimes once in a while as there is a pretty big player base here in europe and these thursday daytime downtimes is a big big hassle here, it mgiht not be for the US timezones but it is here

It's also a pretty big hastle for those who have a rare morning off. It would probably be fair to shift the schedules around but from someone who has had to occasionally keep odd hours I can completely understand if cryptic would rather schedule their server downtime according to their own needs rather than ours. We after all only have to play the game. We don't have to make it work and I think we'd all rather have a well rested and competent staff tinkering with STO's inards rather than a mob of sleep deprived zombies just trying to get through a late shift. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited May 2014
    Two years later its still a buggy game but is it a terrible one? No, because by in large it works and works well. The last two weekly updates didn't offer any nice, satisfying change lists but so what? Spend some time with other genres and you'll be glad what Cryptic can do with their MMO.

This is all basically about entitlement. You've had to deal with bugs and as a customer you'd like them taken out of your soup. When cryptic doesn't you escelate, its no longer about you (since that didn't offer enough social pressure to force a solution), it's about how the game at large is going to hell. It's about how in a year things are going to be terrible or embarassing when the pace of fixes and any experience playing the game over any length of time should have you finding other arguments to make.

Take a step back and don't fall into the enticing path of ingignance when those you feel are socially obligated to you (ie. Cryptic because you play their game) don't live up to your expectations. Adjust the expectations. Not every update has to be about balance (there's other important parts of the game too you know). Not every bug has to be fixed in order for the game to be fun or successful or however else you judge its quality (besides the lack of bugs, that's a sure path to perpetual missery especially in this genre.)

And whatever else happens know that the abiltity to improve STO is dependent on much greater sociological factors (see. how many people throw money at cryptic, how cryptic responds to their own position) that YOU cannot change. There is nothing that you as an individual can say that would force cryptic to rethink their entire development schedule nor is there anything that a forum could say that would do the same. Why? Because words aren't how the world works. It's what we all use but there are so many other more pressing concerns that can't be waved away by a pithy post that portends doom and gloom if Cryptic doesn't change their attitude right now.

So just sit back and take the game as it comes. It will be what it will be and while we may be able to provide directed feedback we cannot change the course of this little part of history by throwing an attitude around.

And this is the reason this game will never be better and has the days over. How the hell can you say " No, because by in large it works and works well.", seriously????? of course, because if that was not the case, nobody will be playing by now. This is the most buggy game ive ever played in 25 years. And even if you say so, sometimes it is so frustrating that i just log-off and i wait a few hours to login again. The space fights are sometimes, really a pain, powers going into cooldown, weapons not firing at all, cloacking devices not working as intended, torps going in others directions with no reasons, weapons dissappearing, powers not working as intended, ship abilities not working, graphics glitches everywhere, some set powers not working, instant kills or instans shields shut off with no reason, and a huge ETC and this is only in space fights. I didnt even start with skill try problems, boff or doff problems, reputation problems, traits, and another huge etc.

So yes, of course i can play "well". I can move my ship, something at least. Because sometimes, i think "what the hell i am playing". So sorry if i disagree with you. That you dont care about all these issues doesnt mean they are not considered important and game- breakers. People thinking like you are the ones who are really throwing this game to the trash. Of course, its normal in these forums, where you can only see condescendent people and people that will never complain for anything, they will only say good things about cryptic and they will try to defend it at all costs. And this is the behaviour that i will never understand, because those are the very ones that love the game, and they are the ones who are really breaking it lol.
  • doodle124doodle124 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Okay, better be worth it
    J0sh
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Season 9 took what, 2 and half hours to 3 hours to patch? But a simple server stability patch takes 4 hours!? Crytpic clearly needs to actually use the money they make to actually make this game work and, like I keep saying, UPGRADE THE FRAKING ENGINE! Seriously, I'm tired of invisible torpedoes, dropped sound effects, etc for only having 20 players on screen! Seriously, we have enough content as it is, it's time to put more focus into making sure the game works and runs smoothly.
  • cjsniper1975cjsniper1975 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Seriously? That involves going outside - and some think that 'outside' is just an unproven myth.

Outside? That's what Holodecks are for!
  • stormbringer77stormbringer77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I used to like Thursdays...;)

Totally understand the need for regular maintenance, just a drag that I'm just back after a couple of months break (anniversary grind burnt me out for a few...) and have got Zen burning a hole in my virtual pocket.

4 hours downtime drags on forever when you're just waiting for server to come back up.

In summation: I really want to play NOW, please ;)
    ***The above ramblings are, as always, my own opinion. Based on my experiences and interpreted by my mind, they by no means reflect the universal truth (unless coincidentally). Peace.***
  • rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Two years later its still a buggy game but is it a terrible one? No, because by in large it works and works well. The last two weekly updates didn't offer any nice, satisfying change lists but so what? Spend some time with other genres and you'll be glad what Cryptic can do with their MMO.

Yes, I'd rather there weren't quite so many bugs in my soup. I know they've got a lot of protein, but bug-soup wasn't what I ordered.

I don't mind bugs a great deal. It's a fact of life that there's going to be some bugs in software. But some of these bugs have been hanging around for years, and some can have a pretty negative impact on the experience. Having to log back in every few hours because the game crashed while switching maps is fairly annoying. I haven't had the skill tray bug, but I can see that being incredibly annoying.

I'm not sure what I should be glad about what Cryptic does with STO. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy STO when it's not crashing, or being plagued by other bugs, some of which are quite old. But a big reason for that would be because of the source material. Ground and space gameplay is nice, the Boff system is pretty cool, and Doffing is pretty sweet. But I can't really say there's much beyond that which I'd happily flag as a great thing that STO does that few or no other MMO does. When I played WoW, I don't recall being affected by many bugs, and crashing was rare if at all. Same goes with the couple of months of EvE I played. I'd go as far to say that STO is the single most crash happy game that I've ever played, but that's also because I rarely buy games at release. STO is over 4 years old, I wouldn't expect bug-free because of the updates, but I would expect for things to be quite stable and not have many lingering bugs from long ago.

STO is rapidly approaching the end of it's relative monopoly on space MMOs too, with Elite and Star Citizen looming over the distant horizon. I don't think STO is going to die when they come out, as it's still a different game and has the bonus of being Star Trek, but I'm certain it'll see a marked downturn in the number of people playing, and general bugginess is only going to make that much worse.

In the end, all I want is to be able to waste an entire day playing STO without frustration.
    Because words aren't how the world works.

Wait, really? Huh. Guess we should switch to using beatings to communicate :P
  • bigpapa2011bigpapa2011 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hmm always wondered why they don't do these maintenances during the dead of the night...instead of middle of the morning..
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hmm always wondered why they don't do these maintenances during the dead of the night...instead of middle of the morning..

the problemo is that when its the dead of night in one part of the world its mid day in another part so just doing it this way is much more effecient.
  • jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited May 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Not a terrible idea in theory, but that would hamper their ability to commence weekend events AT the weekend.

Not if they'd use "activate dates" in their coding. Pre patch on Monday and become Active on the specified date/time.
This discussion has been closed.