test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (6AM - 10AM May 29, 2014) [COMLETED]

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Thursday May 29th, at 6AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance to apply a general stability patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to last for 4 hours. The test server, launcher and access to manage your account may also be unavailable during some portions of the maintenance.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    So some more Chewing gum and Duct Tape for the server... and new bedding in the hamster cages then...

Have fun!
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No patch notes worth talking about, and maint is going to take almost twice as long as normal. Fantastic. There's plenty of bugs that still need squashed, lots of graphical issues and loadout/tray issues. Not to mention my doff still doesn't work.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Getting sick and tired of these "stability updates". The game is literally FULL of issues that have yet to be resolved. I've noticed you've conveniently stopped with the "Known issues" on these patch notes.

Until some of these "Known issues" that you wish to keep unknown to the general public, are resolved, you won't be seeing a dime from me, and I quite likely won't even be logging in.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ...wait, it's going down at 9 Eastern?! O_o Augh, I need to race through rep deal so I can get it done!
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think it's time to stop writing up "stability updates." At this point it only serves to anger and frustrate players. Just say there no updates this week and that you're doing your routine weekly maintenance.
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You know what I think? I think when it is server stability, there is no released patch, just behind the scenes items. Risa event stuff, E2, other new events.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Let's see:

--Hamster cages are getting cleaned out--good, there were reports of a lot of filth and dead hamsters.

--Duct tape and dental floss for the server. Good, it needs something to hold it together.

--Complaints and conspiracy theories about the nonpatch. Normal and expected, although the whine is funny. :rolleyes:

--BACON for Trendy. All as planned...

--Another round of Ba'al and Bacon jokes. Priceless. :cool:

Standard, riotously hilarious patch. My favorite way to spend Thursday morning, tbh. :D

Now, to the bacon mines! I must get more bacon to ship to Supreme Hegemon Trendy, and some peeled grapes for Honorary Grand Potentate Tacofangs, so that I may fill out my monthly Nepotism Quota!

Hail Ba'al! :D
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    At the very least I'm surprised no reward for finishing the 8472 rep by now? Slacking off and having nothing for the people speed-running it is one thing, but now even the people who did the low-and-slow will be finishing up within the next week. Kinda needs to be addressed.
  • alphawolves7169alphawolves7169 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I downloaded this game to play it not be booted every five days or so for maintenance. Fix the issues and be done with it already. This TRIBBLE really sucks :mad:. If you people keep this up your going to lose and avid player. Get your TRIBBLE in order!!!!!
    edited May 2014
    At the very least I'm surprised no reward for finishing the 8472 rep by now? Slacking off and having nothing for the people speed-running it is one thing, but now even the people who did the low-and-slow will be finishing up within the next week. Kinda needs to be addressed.
    Well, Voth rep was kind of a mess.

And y'know, compared to the nightmares of seasons 2 and 4, this launch is actually smooth.

Oh, remember the Legacy of Romulus launch debacle? Yeah. This is not great, but it's better than previous launches.
    I downloaded this game to play it not be booted every five days or so for maintenance. Fix the issues and be done with it already. This TRIBBLE really sucks :mad:. If you people keep this up your going to lose and avid player. Get your TRIBBLE in order!!!!!

Dude. Calm. Down. Every MMO is like this.

Have some Baconcat while you wait.
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dont forget the stealth nerfs they like do that they never publish. im sure thats in thats stability update somewhere
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited May 2014

STO normally only has 1 weekly maintenance period, which is on Thursdays. There were only 2 downtimes this past week because of the Legacy of Romulus anniversary event.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dont forget the stealth nerfs they like do that they never publish. im sure thats in thats stability update somewhere

^This ...

I'm haven't been playing STO as long as some, but I know for a fact by now that "Stability Patch" is "Cryptic Speak" for ... Stealth Nerf!

My guess is we should keep a close eye on our Valdore Consoles, and see if the "adjustment" they were talking about on Tribble, might not be quietly filtered down to Holoddeck ... Just to see if players notice/complain, or how loudly they complain.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014

What's really annoying is that we've had the same issue with every new rep system as they've been added. You think by now they'd just include a completion reward from the get go.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

:~(

/10char
    edited May 2014
    STO normally only has 1 weekly maintenance period, which is on Thursdays. There were only 2 downtimes this past week because of the Legacy of Romulus anniversary event.

STO wouldn't NEED additional extended unscheduled maintenance's, if the developers got their s--t together, and actually learned how to properly code/develop the game.

STO's been around now for just over 4 years. In an industry, where most MMOs manage to run their games on a set once-a-week scheduled maintenance, STO STILL has issues with keeping their server online. And when there's a launch of a new Season, or Expansion Pack? God help me. The "additional extended unscheduled maintenance" is a recurring theme during those days. If they decided to launch something on June 2nd, don't expect the game to be playable until June 3rd. The same goes for pretty much EVERY Season update they've done since launch (and I've played since launch, even if the forum doesn't show it).

These "Server stability update" patch notes, are not even patches. They are part of regular server maintenance. If they don't have any ACTUAL patch notes to show, don't write ANYTHING.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    STO wouldn't NEED additional extended unscheduled maintenance's, if the developers got their s--t together, and actually learned how to properly code/develop the game.

STO's been around now for just over 4 years. In an industry, where most MMOs manage to run their games on a set once-a-week scheduled maintenance, STO STILL has issues with keeping their server online. And when there's a launch of a new Season, or Expansion Pack? God help me. The "additional extended unscheduled maintenance" is a recurring theme during those days. If they decided to launch something on June 2nd, don't expect the game to be playable until June 3rd. The same goes for pretty much EVERY Season update they've done since launch (and I've played since launch, even if the forum doesn't show it).

These "Server stability update" patch notes, are not even patches. They are part of regular server maintenance. If they don't have any ACTUAL patch notes to show, don't write ANYTHING.

Could you please don't write anything? The ranting class is already full today.
    edited May 2014

Could you please not respond to my posts? Better yet, don't even read them?

I'm sorry if my little "rant" upset your delicate sensibilities. Seeing as people who enjoy playing the game, can still be upset over it's management. Just because I prefer not to "suck up to the bosses", like you obviously prefer.
    edited May 2014

Dude, have you ever SEEN other MMOs?

I played WOW a few years back, and got caught as some guys spread the corrupted blood plague across an entire server. Literally nobody could so much as talk to a vendor without dying, thanks to a more-or-less organized group of about five hundred people actively exploiting a bug.

I played LOTRO and DDO, and I can tell you first-hand that on DDO's last expansion release, all of their servers were down for a week.

STO's single server has an order of magnitude more players than each individual DDO server.

LOTRO, which has twenty servers including dedicated RP servers, still has weekly patches and running bugs.

And don't even get me started on EVE; that thing's by trolls, for trolls, and about trolls.

So yeah. You clearly have been misinformed about the video game industry and bug fixes.
    edited May 2014
    Hilarious! + 10! :cool:

Also, good evening, organicmanfred. Haven't seen you since I left to run a marathon last weekend!

I'm sorry if my little "rant" upset your delicate sensibilities. Seeing as people who enjoy playing the game, can still be upset over it's management. Just because I prefer not to "suck up to the bosses", like you obviously prefer.

LOLOL.

Dude, neither organicmanfred nor I are suck-ups. We are both perfectly willing to criticize Cryptic and PWE for their TRIBBLE-ups.

Don't mistake understanding for sucking up.
    edited May 2014

Could you please not respond to my respond if you are only here for trolling?

If you don't want people to respond you shouldn't post here.
    edited May 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    So yeah. You clearly have been misinformed about the video game industry and bug fixes.

Let's see here, I'll list a resume of the MMOs I've played since I started with online gaming back in 2003:

City of Heroes, Guild Wars, WoW, EVE Online, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Tabula Rasa, RIFT, Champions Online, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, Guild Wars 2, Marvel Heroes

Not necessarily exactly in chronological order, but you get the picture. In short, I've played quite a few different games, and have experience of a wide array of issues in various MMOs over the years. Including the WoW plague you mentioned.

The occasional bugs that crop up, post-maintenance (necessitating an unscheduled maintenance) is forgivable. But when it happens repeatedly, it becomes a pattern. One which done all too frequently, becomes a nuisance to the playerbase. People such as yourself, will likely look the other way, since you have your heads so far up someones backside, it's difficult to see daylight.

Season 9 launched on April 22nd, just over 1 month ago. In that time, the game has been unstable (repeatedly), login servers crashing, and persistent bugs with each passing week. At the launch of Season 9, there was a nice "short" list of Known Issues which went live with the Season 9 update. Why these issues were allowed to go live, rather than get fixed BEFORE going live, is beyond me. Other than Cryptic/PWE wanting to push content before it's ready, just to try and grab a few extra bucks.

In the time since Season 9 launched, several of the Known Issues are STILL issues, and as you'll note with this weeks "Stability fixes" update, the Known Issues have completely vanished from "patch notes". An attempt at quietly sweeping the issues under the rug perhaps? Which makes sense, since even the games EP (Mr D'Angelo) is conspicuously silent.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Okay enough. You all can be angry about the down time, I'm not going to stop that but seriously lets keep the ranting, trolling and flaming each other to a minimal (as in don't do it).

As for the known issues not being posted in the patch notes - if they wanted it hidden there wouldn't be a Master index of known issues

;)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited May 2014
    askray wrote: »

As for the known issues not being posted in the patch notes - if they wanted it hidden there wouldn't be a Master index of known issues

;)

Where does this one come from:eek:
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    if u guys would relize is that the length and the time frame matches up with the arc maitinance so that all games be down at the same time without people tring thru arc constantly which makes them trying to force arc on us more
    edited May 2014
    Where does this one come from:eek:

It cometh from the planet Mod...

Glory to the Mod! Praise be unto Him!

XD XD XD
    edited May 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    It cometh from the planet Mod...

Glory to the Mod! Praise be unto Him!

XD XD XD

You sure? They said the gonna pick me up next week for additional experiments.

Well anyway, at the end I can say only one thing: Theory and practice aren't always the same.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited May 2014
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Servers need an aux to hamster build. :cool:
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    snakeswar2 wrote: »
    if u guys would relize is that the length and the time frame matches up with the arc maitinance so that all games be down at the same time without people tring thru arc constantly which makes them trying to force arc on us more
    Actually it just happens to be a coincidence. NW nor CO are affected (unless they quickly post patch notes or downtime threads in the next few hours hehe)
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    If it's a known issue with a developer response, then it gets added to that list (and also realize I'm not responsible for said list). Also, it might be in the internal bug tracker but nothing replied to about it just yet. It's hard to say honestly. That's the best answer I can give sorry :(
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.