test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sword of the Raptor Star melee weapon for Romulans

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Romulan Discussion
This is a random thought I had while playing STO:

What if Romulan Republic characters recieved a replica Raptor Star sword for completing the mission The Search for New Romulus?

This could be their unique melee weapon, the Romulan Republic equivalent of the Shard Bat'leth of Kahless.
It should be level scaling like this weapon, so it can be used all at endgame.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by tilarta on

Comments

• Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    This is a random thought I had while playing STO:

What if Romulan Republic characters recieved a replica Raptor Star sword for completing the mission The Search for New Romulus?

This could be their unique melee weapon, the Romulan Republic equivalent of the Shard Bat'leth of Kahless.
    It should be level scaling like this weapon, so it can be used all at endgame.

This is something we have asked for many times over the past year. I for one will continue to ask.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah ... One of about 5 or 6 topics/requests close to most Romulan Hearts:

Sword of the Raptor Star Replica
    Romulan/Reman Omega Command Set
    Romulan Rep Ground Set
    More Costumes/Tal Shiar Uniform options
    True, lower Tier Sci ships/Cruisers/Dual Hangar Carriers ...

KILL TOVAN !!!
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yup, definitely want this.

Though, honestly, I'm not fond of the gladius look they made for it. S'harien swords were described more like a katana or scimitar style blade: long, thin and curved; rather than a short and thick like a gladius. Just looks at the cover from the Rihannsu novels. Though that is suppose to be the Sword of S'task (AKA: the Sword in the Empty Chair), at least one other S'harien sword was described in a similar way to that one, a nameless one belong to Spock.
  • Options
    umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    peregry wrote: »

Though, honestly, I'm not fond of the gladius look they made for it. S'harien swords were described more like a katana or scimitar style blade: long, thin and curved; rather than a short and thick like a gladius. Just looks at the cover from the Rihannsu novels. Though that is suppose to be the Sword of S'task (AKA: the Sword in the Empty Chair), at least one other S'harien sword was described in a similar way to that one, a nameless one belong to Spock.

Katana are really thick (They cut basically how an axe splits woord), so a scimitar is probably more accurate.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    alyciatalalyciatal Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I also agree , it would be a fundamental part of our Romulan identity... as for now I'm really ok with the Crystallin Tholian Sword, but it would be nice to have something just for us, of course obtainable via quest.

In the old "The Way of D'era" there were the Vrelnec (something like a cutlass), the Neca (dagger) and the Lirash (our versions of the Lirpa)... come on, J.J. might have permanently deleted our hopes for more good ST, but for now we all have our Expanded Universe still alive and well, just take something else from here!
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    peregry wrote: »

Me too. I also want to see a replica to use in melee combat. I would also assume (maybe inaccurately) that if S'harien made those sword so well that one could survive in a tropical jungle environment such as on Tau Dewa, then could it be possible that the Sword of S'task could have survived the destruction of Romulus? Perhaps that one is somewhere in the debris field of the Romulus/Remus system.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited May 2014
    Considering the look of the Lirpa, and the Teral'n, I just dont see the quasi gladius looking thing STO made being very fitting for S'harien's blade. Not quite sure a Katana-ish blade does either.

Looks aside I definitely want a replica I can wield. Both my Roms use the Falchion atm as their 'off' weapon.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    +1 to this. Beats my current plan to give my melee combatant first officer (not Tovan Khev; I demoted him to security chief for refusal to acknowledge my authority as captain) the Shattering Harmonics set.

Although I like the katana version better as well.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    please? I was actually surprised we didn't get it.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not saying it shouldn't happen but do we need even more swashbucklers running around in a universe where you saw so few races actually wield melee weapons? :P
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I'm not saying it shouldn't happen but do we need even more swashbucklers running around in a universe where you saw so few races actually wield melee weapons? :P
    To be honest, and while I'm not really fan of space swordsman (always made me think to this), Romulan are known to use blades and knives.
    Just like Klingons or Andorian.

Now, I don't like the idea of katana like weapons. Romulan are based on Roman, so anything from Roman, greek, or even egyptian is fine IMO, but japanese sword ? Meh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I've always speculated that certain people in the Trek universe trained with melee weapons so they wouldn't be defenseless in such a battle should they encounter it.
    Or to have an alternative method of fighting should their energy weapon be non-functional for some reason.

Look at Sisko for one example, three Klingons attack him with bat'leths, he takes the bat'leth from the first Klingon and uses it to beat up the remaining two at the same time!

Jadzia Dax also trained in the use of bat'leths.

So, I'm assuming that it would not be abnormal for certain Captains to hone their skills with a blade, in case they needed to fight with one.

Oh and about energy weapons vs blades, witness the Amazing Tholian Sword!
    You just tried to shoot me and now my sword can shoot you back. Congratulations.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    Me too. I also want to see a replica to use in melee combat. I would also assume (maybe inaccurately) that if S'harien made those sword so well that one could survive in a tropical jungle environment such as on Tau Dewa, then could it be possible that the Sword of S'task could have survived the destruction of Romulus? Perhaps that one is somewhere in the debris field of the Romulus/Remus system.

The Sword of the Raptor Star was encased in a crystal and thus protected from the environment on Dewa-III.

From the Path to 2409, under the year 2387:
    "Intercepted Romulan transmissions indicate that Praetor Chulan and the leaders of the Senate escaped Romulus before the planet's destruction. But the USS Nobel, en route to Romulus, find the bodies of Chulan and the Senate's ruling council floating in space near their derelict shuttle."

I find it hard to believe that the Praetor and Senate would leave and not take the Sword of S'Task with them, but there is no mention of it being found along with the bodies. I believe someone took it from the debris, or from the shuttle before then destroying the shuttle. Who that someone might be I can only speculate.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    The Sword of the Raptor Star was encased in a crystal and thus protected from the environment on Dewa-III.

"Intercepted Romulan transmissions indicate that Praetor Chulan and the leaders of the Senate escaped Romulus before the planet's destruction. But the USS Nobel, en route to Romulus, find the bodies of Chulan and the Senate's ruling council floating in space near their derelict shuttle."

I find it hard to believe that the Praetor and Senate would leave and not take the Sword of S'Task with them, but there is no mention of it being found along with the bodies. I believe someone took it from the debris, or from the shuttle before then destroying the shuttle. Who that someone might be I can only speculate.
    Didn't that tie-in comic have the Senate and Praetor rescued, then killed by Nero? If he had the sword with him, Nero probably took it with him, considering he took that stupid spiky spear thing off of him that's supposedly some sort of ceremonial symbol of office or something.
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Signed.

Though I have always thought that a Katana would be a good Fed side melee weapon, representing the Humans/Terrans.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    To be honest, and while I'm not really fan of space swordsman (always made me think to this)

Now, imagine if the scimitar guy adapted to Indy's bullets, got up, and assimilated him.

"Guns are better than swords" is a great reason not to add them to, I dunno, Arma 3 or something that simulates realistic ground combat. It's faulty logic in STO.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    umiharayuu wrote: »
    Katana are really thick (They cut basically how an axe splits woord), so a scimitar is probably more accurate.

Modern katanas look the way you describe it.
    The classic samurai katana looks close to what the covers show (although they didn't look THAT long).
    Scimitars are thin but have a broader blade.

starswordc wrote: »
    +1 to this. Beats my current plan to give my melee combatant first officer (not Tovan Khev; I demoted him to security chief for refusal to acknowledge my authority as captain) the Shattering Harmonics set.

Although I like the katana version better as well.

Next time don't promote him, you won't have to demote him.
    Thovan was never my first officer. He was just..... ... ... There.
    But I'd prefer the katana version too.
    protogoth wrote: »

May be someone else took it from romulus. Or Nero took it when he killed chulan. Which means the good thing is lost in the jar jar crapverse for ever :(
    Now, imagine if the scimitar guy adapted to Indy's bullets, got up, and assimilated him.

"Guns are better than swords" is a great reason not to add them to, I dunno, Arma 3 or something that simulates realistic ground combat. It's faulty logic in STO.

It's not stos faulty logic, it's star treks. Klingons used melee weapons, jem'hadar used melee weapons and I'm prety sure there are more examples.
    But that might be connected to the fact that those high tech energy weapons were usually extremely ineffective...

On a side note, swords were in use in the real world a very very long time after guns were invented.
    As a matter of fact those kind heavy of armors we usually see knights wearing in cheap middle age films or world of ********... They were invented to protect against pistols, not against swords.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    On a side note, swords were in use in the real world a very very long time after guns were invented.
    As a matter of fact those kind heavy of armors we usually see knights wearing in cheap middle age films or world of ********... They were invented to protect against pistols, not against swords.

Agreed. People always ignore the situation where a gun runs out of bullets, or power in the case of energy weapons. When you are out of bullets, would you choose to use the butt stock of the gun or would you prefer a cutting edge? Also, there have been several cases in Star Trek where there was a dampening field, whether from natural causes or a duonetic field generator.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Modern katanas look the way you describe it.
    The classic samurai katana looks close to what the covers show (although they didn't look THAT long).

The only main difference between modern and feudal katana is the metallurgy. I've been to the Tokugawa Museum in Japan and have seen these first hand (Studied kenjutsu). I also have a friend that owns a Matsuda blade (Authentication documents included) from the mid 1800s. They are as I described.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Agreed. People always ignore the situation where a gun runs out of bullets, or power in the case of energy weapons. When you are out of bullets, would you choose to use the butt stock of the gun or would you prefer a cutting edge? Also, there have been several cases in Star Trek where there was a dampening field, whether from natural causes or a duonetic field generator.

Plus they're good on the Borg and nothing beats that personal feed back you get from slicing into a man-machine... Much easier to use than a rifle's bayonet too.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

To the "peoples" defense, while they WERE in use a long time (I think up to WWI? Although I might be mistaken but I think even in Vietnam charlie still used them... ) they are not part of a current military equipment today for good reasons (though knifes still are, why don't we get knifes as melee weapons?).
    The situation where you would need a Sword is very rare, the situations where carrying a cumbersome Sword around becomes a problem is not rare. Also it requires a kind of training that would have little use.
    In star trek... that dampening field situation was quiet rare and if they had the means to replicate swords... they could have replicated non-energy-rifles like we use them today...

Also: funny how the profanity filter censors WoWs full name....
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey I am all about getting more melee weapons into the game. +1 from me.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've always speculated that certain people in the Trek universe trained with melee weapons so they wouldn't be defenseless in such a battle should they encounter it.
    Or to have an alternative method of fighting should their energy weapon be non-functional for some reason.

Look at Sisko for one example, three Klingons attack him with bat'leths, he takes the bat'leth from the first Klingon and uses it to beat up the remaining two at the same time!

Jadzia Dax also trained in the use of bat'leths.

So, I'm assuming that it would not be abnormal for certain Captains to hone their skills with a blade, in case they needed to fight with one.

Oh and about energy weapons vs blades, witness the Amazing Tholian Sword!
    You just tried to shoot me and now my sword can shoot you back. Congratulations.

Yeah but Worf, Dax, or Sisko didn't run around DS9 with a bat'leth on their back nor did you see Romulans with a dagger at their side. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    To the "peoples" defense, while they WERE in use a long time (I think up to WWI? Although I might be mistaken but I think even in Vietnam charlie still used them... ) they are not part of a current military equipment today for good reasons (though knifes still are, why don't we get knifes as melee weapons?).
    The situation where you would need a Sword is very rare, the situations where carrying a cumbersome Sword around becomes a problem is not rare. Also it requires a kind of training that would have little use.
    In star trek... that dampening field situation was quiet rare and if they had the means to replicate swords... they could have replicated non-energy-rifles like we use them today...

Also: funny how the profanity filter censors WoWs full name....

Again, even if you could replicate guns, you would still need the bullets which are not infinite.

Doesn't one of the US Army units still carry Tomahawks into combat?
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Regardless of when and how they were used in real life combat, melee weapons are part of Star Trek canon, and have a niche: Borg Drones.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Yeah ... One of about 5 or 6 topics/requests close to most Romulan Hearts:

Sword of the Raptor Star Replica
    Romulan/Reman Omega Command Set
    Romulan Rep Ground Set
    More Costumes/Tal Shiar Uniform options
    True, lower Tier Sci ships/Cruisers/Dual Hangar Carriers ...

KILL TOVAN !!!
    Exactly these + Nemesis uniform, green material to Dyson destroyer
    and especially for me cruiser compareable with avenger and mogh ( there are too much Scimitars)
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The sword surely can be retrofitted into the existing reward system, as they should do with the new modular kit system as well. Not exactly consistently distributed as it stands, unless I have missed something.

---
  • Options
    edited June 2014

With Trek technology, who says a sword has to be cumbersome?
    Retractable sword

And I doubt it would have little use, as I cited, when fighting Klingons or other enemies who specialize in close quarters blade combat, if you don't have swordfighting training, you will be the first one that gets killed.
    Naturally, you'd use it against the Borg most of all, because they're vulnerable to kinetic weapons.

Also, game mechanics. ;)
    It's just a slotted inventory item, all it requires is an empty weapons slot or a empty slot in your personal backpack.
    Yeah but Worf, Dax, or Sisko didn't run around DS9 with a bat'leth on their back nor did you see Romulans with a dagger at their side. :P

Worf carried a mek'leth somewhere, not sure where it was located, but he pulled it off his back in First Contact.

For the record, my Starfleet characters have a dagger at their sides (it's a costume option from the Mirror Universe costume). :P

• Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2014
    potential armor add ons in the roman flavor:

Battle helmet inspiration

Shoulder pads

Chest armor plate?

personal preference sword variants:

Gladius 1

Gladius 2

Scimitar

Scimitar 2

Just some Ideas....:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    With Trek technology, who says a sword has to be cumbersome?
    Retractable sword

And I doubt it would have little use, as I cited, when fighting Klingons or other enemies who specialize in close quarters blade combat, if you don't have swordfighting training, you will be the first one that gets killed.
    Naturally, you'd use it against the Borg most of all, because they're vulnerable to kinetic weapons.

Also, game mechanics. ;)
    It's just a slotted inventory item, all it requires is an empty weapons slot or a empty slot in your personal backpack.

Worf carried a mek'leth somewhere, not sure where it was located, but he pulled it off his back in First Contact.

For the record, my Starfleet characters have a dagger at their sides (it's a costume option from the Mirror Universe costume). :P

It was semi concealed in his environmental suit, which isn't exactly running around in public with it.

You just never saw anyone commonly running around with a melee weapon except for maybe Klingons.

Same with most weapons...usually even security wasn't seen with more than a side arm...