test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sword of the Raptor Star melee weapon for Romulans

2»

Comments

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    True, but in order to have it to use in that scene, he had to be carrying it with him somewhere before he boards the Enterprise-E.
    After all, mek-leth's don't magically appear from nowhere just because the script says so. :P

I assume it's concealed under his Klingon bandolier at the back in some kind of hidden sheath.
    The practiced nature of his motions to withdraw it from his EVA suit suggest Worf has invested a significant amount of time into pulling it down from his back, which would support the theory he keeps it in his bandolier.

As for why we never see anyone with melee weapons, I call it Trek Stupidity.
    They're so dependent on their energy weapons, it never occurs to the scriptwriters to accomodate for what would happen if the aforementioned weapon runs out of power.

Although the DS9 episode with the TR-116a did give an explanation of sorts, at least from Starfleet's point of view.
    Starfleet has never been comfortable with single-function weapons, i.e: ones that only have one setting: kill (such as the TR-116a).
    So that may be why they don't use melee weapons, if you cut someone with a sword or stab them with a knife, you're trying to kill them, not render them unconscious.

Although in the case of the TR-116a, I'd start fabricating different ammo payloads, say rubber bullets, tranquilzer darts or minature concussion grenades.
    You'd have to change the ammo clip, but it would be a more flexible weapon under those circumstances.

Not sure how you could modify a melee weapon to be non-lethal, but a possibility would be to put a sedative dispenser inside the blade, inflict a shallow cut on your enemy which allows the sedative to enter their bloodstream and knock them out.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But WAIT!

If you call now and order, you will get an extra Sword of the Raptor Star for the same low price of $19.99!

Order now while supplies last!

:D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    True, but in order to have it to use in that scene, he had to be carrying it with him somewhere before he boards the Enterprise-E.
    After all, mek-leth's don't magically appear from nowhere just because the script says so. :P

I assume it's concealed under his Klingon bandolier at the back in some kind of hidden sheath.
    The practiced nature of his motions to withdraw it from his EVA suit suggest Worf has invested a significant amount of time into pulling it down from his back, which would support the theory he keeps it in his bandolier.

At last someone posts a warranted assumption, instead of an unwarranted one.

As for how to make a melee weapon non-lethal, the answer is training and skill.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    Considering the effectiveness of the tommy gun on borg drones, Im still surprised the TR-116a didnt make a bigger splash. A short pull from an automatic TR-116a would do bad bad things to a group of borg drones.

then again I was also never quite certain why it wasnt a rail gun
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    then again I was also never quite certain why it wasnt a rail gun
    When chemical firearms are so much simpler to build? Beats me. :rolleyes:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We already have several melee weapons in the game-several of which (the swords) were made up for the game, and one (lirpa) which is ceremonial. I can't imagine how adding a spatha-styled sword would be more lore breaking than those, and it would add variety, so I'm all for it. Heck, add in Honor blades while we're at it. It would make fans of the books happy I guess, and I hear a lot of folks talking about how they'd like a more katana-ish blade (although the few pictures I have seen make me think it has more in common with a shashka)

They can all even use the existing sword animations, so I don't think it would be that much of a problem to design and implement.