test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update Maintenance (May 23rd, 2014) [COMPLETED]

Comments

• edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

And if there is in fact a bug preventing people from claiming items from their overflow (and neither I nor anyone I know has ever encountered this bug), then you submit a bug report and wait for a fix. This is how things are done.

That is even worst.. lol.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Our updated maintenance has begun! We expect downtime to last for 2.5 hours and I will post again once it is complete. Thanks!

~CaptainSmirk

Whee! Hold on to your hats, people, it's going to be a wild ride!
    bergins wrote: »
    All a hangover is is a case of being overly dehydrated, and since caffeine will dehydrate you, it makes perfect sense. ;)
    Neat. I shall keep that in mind next time I think about staying up late...
    Well, since the bugs section of the forum is useless, i will repeat again here the same bug. When you collect the boff from the reward, and you click on "not now", because i dont want him to join my stations, just to be in my roster candidates, it goes automatically to the overflow bag instead of the inventory, and you CANT recover him from there. And that happens to A LOT of people, with the Reman boff and the Breen boff. Its reported already several times. But i guess you people, cant stop asking for new stupid content and cstore ships but you never visited the bugs section of the forums. Always the same story.

Then instead of clicking "not now", try clicking the close button on the upper right of the boff interact window.

Also, a little positivity goes a long way.
    edited May 2014

Then instead of clicking "not now", try clicking the close button on the upper right of the boff interact window.

¿? Thats exactly the same as sending him to the inventory, so , the overflow bag. So, no boff.
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've heard some gossip about energy drinks metabolizing similarly to alcohol. I don't know how true that is I'm only a doctor in game, and we have sythahol.

My hard drive stopped ticking, by the way. I'm not trusting the drive but at least I can play again without the pauses. I know it won't last but hey, I can't afford a new drive right now I'll take the reprieve. I 'solved' it by turning the end of my drive into empty space. Apparently the problem is at the end of the drive there and if I don't try and use that part it doesn't complain.

I'm still not trusting the drive, I only have game clients and movies/music there.

Thanks again for all the responses yesterday. I knew that was the problem but I gave up my true hardcore geek credentials as I aged and didn't keep up with the latest/greatest.

It was a total shock when I discovered I no longer have a BIOS... I was like what the hell happened am I in a time warp?
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
    edited May 2014
    ¿? Thats exactly the same as sending him to the inventory, so , the overflow bag. So, no boff.

Have you tested this?

Also, if that is still the case, then just file a bug report and BE. PATIENT.

Patience goes a loooooooong way in STO. If you're patient, you can eventually unlock the entire C-store without spending a cent. If you're patient, you can outfit your ship with elite fleet everything without selling a single ZEN point.

Just stay calm and use your current boffs instead of the special ones.
  • texastrekkietexastrekkie Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am talking about the rewards ,not the lobi. A LOT of people cant get their boffs because the stupid overflow bag bug. Please, get informed before you say anything stupid. Cryptic said they were investigating, but again, no fixes. And again no event rewards for a lot of people. When i saw emergency patch, i of course imagined this was part of it. Of course i was mistaken.

But, we are used to it, right?

I had the overflow bag issue once and it was before the featured episodes started. I reported it, then waited, then logged off and restarted after clearing a bit of inventory. All items were returned to my bag and all is good now :)

It might be helpful to keep some space in your inventory. With Fleet Starbases having banks it's easy to just warp over there, empty some space by dropping stuff in the bank or visiting your friendly bartender, and then return to where you were in space :)
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Tell the team thanks for trying to fix the bridge crew consoles both for space and ground. The space one still needs tweaking. I would ask if they could make it save the settings instead of hitting ok. Odd one yesterday consoles for tact, where missing they were somehow doing the game play in the inventory odd. Prior to the battle they were on the ship. Didnt' see that happen early this morning.

But in all the space console trays seems to be adding the weapons where it should be saving the extra consoles I use from the bridge officers.

Also this morning at Nimbus III the rear door when entering it I got stuck like the graphics were half outside and inside odd also like a feel down a trap door. I could only beam-up to fix it then I lost one of my crew didn't beam back down with the rest. I only had 3 instead of 4. All this happen when someone wanted me to join his team. Which didn't also got drop off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Edgecrysger doesn't work that way.

He has literally never, to my knowledge, posted anything that was not a complaint. Last maintenance thread he tried to drag Smirk into a complain war by taking this post as an excuse to whine about I'm still not sure what; fortunately, Smirk was smart enough to not get too engaged.

Seriously, edgecrysger complains about the CM going above and beyond the call of duty...:rolleyes:

Oh, I know how much complaining is done bu Edgecryser.
    This says it all. lol. I guess that you dont even bother to visit the gameplay bugs section.
    Well, since the bugs section of the forum is useless,

So which is it? Should look at bug forum, or not?

How do you keep track of this though? So many responces in so little time...
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    It's the same time of day they always do maintenance. And for the USA/Canada players, which I'm guessing are probably a (small) majority, it's in the morning. (7-9 AM for me in California). It is unusual for it to be on a Friday, but it has happened before.

Not on a Friday. Unless it's an absolute server crashing game breaking issue you do not maintenance on a Friday unless you really really desperately want to your game to be shut down and become unemployed as soon as possible.

And I doubt the is any issue that desperate.
  • texastrekkietexastrekkie Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wow just wow.

The only thing cryptic doesn't fail in is finding surprising new ways to fail.

Bringing down the server in the middle of prime play time on a Friday afternoon?
    You could only find something more stupid if you watched jar jar trek 2009. :rolleyes:

Being that I was looking forward to running the Rep Missions on New Romulus for all those bonus marks, I am glad the server came down to fix the problem. I am thinking it didn't come down yesterday due to them trying to fix it with the game running? Better now than later, mate.
    edited May 2014
    I don't know how desperate it is, but when they did the Season 9 release, they had maintenance on Thursday, Friday, Monday, AND Tuesday that week.

Big season launches are like that. There are always a few big issues that they have to fix really fast.

LoR was an epic crash. Season 4, now...I still hear horror stories about that.
    edited May 2014
    I give Edgecryer a break. I used to not, but I get it now.

Edge is not a native English speaker. No matter how much we and they both try to reach consensus that language barrier keeps popping up.

They are still at that stage where they think it is their duty to fix the game for everybody. It is a noble gesture, even if those of us that know better are past it.

Most of Edge's over enthusiasm is simply an attempt to break the language barrier, tho. They really are not that much more alarmist then the rest of you.
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    edited May 2014
    I'm certain nobody at Cryptic ever says lets patch extra on a Friday just because we want too. It is a consequence of pushing patches on a Thursday. If something goes wrong and they need to re-patch... Oh noes its friday!

They really should move to Tuesday, but I'm not an employee of theirs I have no idea what their schedules look like.
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    edited May 2014
    kimmym wrote: »
    I'm certain nobody at Cryptic ever says lets patch extra on a Friday just because we want too. It is a consequence of pushing patches on a Thursday. If something goes wrong and they need to re-patch... Oh noes its friday!

They really should move to Tuesday, but I'm not an employee of theirs I have no idea what their schedules look like.

They definitely do Tuesday patches for season launches, which is a very smart move given the tendency of big updates to ANY game to cause dramatic explosions.
    edited May 2014
    I give Edgecryer a break. I used to not, but I get it now.

Edge is not a native English speaker. No matter how much we and they both try to reach consensus that language barrier keeps popping up.

They are still at that stage where they think it is their duty to fix the game for everybody. It is a noble gesture, even if those of us that know better are past it.

Most of Edge's over enthusiasm is simply an attempt to break the language barrier, tho. They really are not that much more alarmist then the rest of you.

Of course i am not english xD. You only need to see how badly i write in english most of the times.

The point is, i am one of those persons who cant read a comment with no sense and not respond to it. So, everytime someone replies me, i need to answer xD. Thats the reason it looks like i only complain. But maybe because i must be the only person in these forums who really cares about the future of this game and i dont see people cares about it or about the bad job cryptic is doing since the past year. When the only thing you see around is positive comments, even when they are not deserved, so, they make not sense at all, i really have an urge to "save" the decency of the human race. :D
  • jimmyboi2012jimmyboi2012 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    basicly just like blizzard do it all midweek ?
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Of course i am not english xD. You only need to see how badly i write in english most of the times.

The point is, i am one of those persons who cant read a comment with no sense and not respond to it. So, everytime someone replies me, i need to answer xD. Thats the reason it looks like i only complain. But maybe because i must be the only person in these forums who really cares about the future of this game and i dont see people cares about it or about the bad job cryptic is doing since the past year. When the only thing you see around is positive comments, even when they are not deserved, so, they make not sense at all, i really have an urge to "save" the decency of the human race. :D

If you really care about the game so much, why do you keep saying you hope it dies?
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't know how desperate it is, but when they did the Season 9 release, they had maintenance on Thursday, Friday, Monday, AND Tuesday that week.

One fu** up makes a very bad excuse for another one.
    Be we know cryptic is incapable to launch seasons based on experience, so by now we know that this game is unavailable for 2-4 weeks after season launches (an issue that could be avoided by proper testing and fixing before releasing but then again... )
    But this isn't a season release it's a normal Friday. If they can't keep the servers up on prety much normal Friday..

Tuesday would make much more sense indeed.
    They probably want to coordinate that with their weekend events but they can easily patch those on Tuesday and just switch them live on Friday or Thursday.
    edited May 2014
    Well.. that is a bit more complicated then originally noticeable... and it might take an MMO lifer like me to see.

EverQuest used to be the big bad boy on the block. They patched on Tuesdays.

WoW wanted to beat them, so they moved their patches to Wednesday, so that on Tuesday patches EQ players would come to WoW to check it out.

Cryptic did the same thing. WoW patches on Wednesday, lets patch on a different day so that we can get bored WoW players.

They should have chose Tuesday. Nobody cares about EQ anymore.
    kimmym_5664.jpg
  • daniel672daniel672 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    New patch notes are importent. So they know where they have got to on the game if you know what i'm trying to say. That is why they sometimes do it on a frieday. like other games do. So it's not just Star Trek. :)
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ak255 wrote: »
    Once again, you've proven that your game engine CLEARLY needs an upgrade, yet I doubt that will ever happen. Way to go!

The entire coding seam to be in need of better structural planning for changes.

Changing how much marks one get in a reputation group should be as simple as changing a single (or two) variable in code that does not affect anything else. :rolleyes:

But I guess they copy and pasted the code from first reputation instead of reworking entire reputation system to be scalable with a set of variables that are gathered in a single place that handle the different rewards size. :P
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • sirtexassirsirtexassir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    daniel672 wrote: »
    New patch notes are importent. So they know where they have got to on the game if you know what i'm trying to say. That is why they sometimes do it on a Friday. like other games do. So it's not just Star Trek. :)

I never understood why they didn't do them late Sunday/Early Monday of the week. That is when traffic is slowest monday mornings for games. Gives them plenty of time to fix for the week. Than again this patch yesterday was only for a weekend event. Though really does it take 2.5 hours just to add a small patch?
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't want to be lumped in with the people who pointlessly complain every time the server needs an update because these updates are NEEDED and players just need to be patient.

That said, the devs knew the Romulan Anniversary Event was coming before yesterday ... so why wasn't this update part of yesterday's patch/down time?

The only reason the server should be down two days in a row is if there is an unexpected problem that has to be fixed. This is just poor planning.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • jimmyboi2012jimmyboi2012 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    it has to be midweek as they dont work sat-sun-mon-tuesday sods law lol
    edited May 2014
    Sorry, darling. A little hung over from too much Red Bull last night. Did you know that energy drinks can give you hangovers????

Darndest thing.

Most energy drinks deplete your body from water and with to low water you get a head ache.
    Drink a lot of water if you drink energy drinks. ;)
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't want to be lumped in with the people who pointlessly complain every time the server needs an update because these updates are NEEDED and players just need to be patient.

That said, the devs knew the Romulan Anniversary Event was coming before yesterday ... so why wasn't this update part of yesterday's patch/down time?

The only reason the server should be down two days in a row is if there is an unexpected problem that has to be fixed. This is just poor planning.

There was an unexpected problem. Most of the New Romulus missions didn't work yesterday. I'm hoping "stability updates" was just putting it nicely.
    edited May 2014

The events in question gave appropritate rewards before yesterdays patch.

They broke it all yesterday.

That is why they need to patch today. They didn't know it was broken until they broke it.

A better question is, 'Why does this happen so often? Why are we not seeing these bugs before they go live? Is there a way we can better catch these things before we patch them live in the first place?'
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Being that I was looking forward to running the Rep Missions on New Romulus for all those bonus marks, I am glad the server came down to fix the problem. I am thinking it didn't come down yesterday due to them trying to fix it with the game running? Better now than later, mate.

I soooo agree with this.

What the point of having a NR anniversary if can't get those extra marks. :P
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

• emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bored... raining outside... want to get back to smoking some crystal... Elite Crystal Entity of coarse
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
    edited May 2014
    My life has no meaning without the ability to do a quick 2-man ISE run...

(seriously, a fleetmate and I can 2-man ISE with my scimi and his Palisade)