Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (May 22nd, 2014) [COMPLETED]

Comments

• Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    afreeby wrote: »
    I know the launcher shows server status, but is there a status indicator on the new webpage? The old site had the red "Server is down" / green "Server is UP!" messages, but I don't see anything like that on the cluttered "Arc Games" site.

I'm really not a fan of the arc pages.

There is no current replacement for that indicator. I agree though, Arc needs one.

Amongst other things...

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You're welcome.

Had to check to see what problem you specifically were experiencing as there have been several reported, and we have simple fixes for some, but not all.

The FPS problem is still being reported by many players. I don't have a response from the Devs about a fix or identifying the problem exactly, otherwise I would try to help you out directly here.

I will check in with them today after maintenance and see what is going on. Hopefully I will get an answer for you and others who are still waiting. Sorry they haven't addressed this sooner.

Let me see what I can do about lighting a fire under this.

~CaptainSmirk
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest, and I am sure I am not alone where this comment is concerned, I am just EXTREMELY grateful that the fact that we're experiencing this issue has been acknowledged. It's very reassuring to know that our comments/concerns have at least been read.

So thanks again - appreciated! :)

+1

Thanks in advance Captain for any help towards a resolution of this issue.

**stands at attention and salutes!
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    afreebyafreeby Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am grateful for all the ways PWE keeps us posted on maintenance, I was just hoping for a replacement for the red/green indicator from the old website.

In addition to the forums, I have been digging the Maintenance snapshots on the Facebook account.

Maybe I'm just being fussy.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There is no current replacement for that indicator. I agree though, Arc needs one.

Amongst other things...

~CaptainSmirk

best comment I have seen to date. or am I reading too much into this? LOL
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    edited May 2014
    kimmym wrote: »
    While we are all having tech problems...

I'm afraid I know the answer... but... A girl can hope...

My Hard Drive has started "ticking". it will tick 3 times, and while it is ticking the whole machine freezes up. Then the ticking stops and things go on their way. It is fully stable other then that. It doesn't crash or lock up, only when it is ticking.

Sometimes rebooting staves it off for a bit. Other times it starts after it reboots.

Any ideas?

Yeah, back up everything and get to a safe distance. Gmail accounts have 15GB of free storage in Google Drive. That might help be a temp storage for you if you don't have a external hard drive to port things over to. Make alt Google accounts to help spread out the data.

That drive is gonna go soon. I've lost a few that way myself. Most likely it is a physical damage problem.

Good luck!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014

My Hard Drive has started "ticking". it will tick 3 times, and while it is ticking the whole machine freezes up. Then the ticking stops and things go on their way. It is fully stable other then that. It doesn't crash or lock up, only when it is ticking.

Sometimes rebooting staves it off for a bit. Other times it starts after it reboots.

Any ideas?
    Yeah, back up everything and get to a safe distance. Gmail accounts have 15GB of free storage in Google Drive. That might help be a temp storage for you if you don't have a external hard drive to port things over to. Make alt Google accounts to help spread out the data.

That drive is gonna go soon. I've lost a few that way myself. Most likely it is a physical damage problem.

Good luck!

~CaptainSmirk
    What Smirk said. It's about to blow.

Get everything critical/confidential onto a jump drive, put everything else on Google Drive.

Then turn the computer on, make it do something complicated, and get to a safe distance to watch the explosion.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    all jokes aside, pwe trendy, his/her computer is down and out. correct me if im wrong, but dont you and trendy get paid by perfect world entertainment? isnt it your job to deal with the forums and games? and in order to do so you need a computer. SHOULD PWE PROVIDE THE WORKERS WITH A COMPUTER TO DO YOUR JOB?

Her computer that broke is her home machine. No other correction to your comment is needed.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Good luck!

~CaptainSmirk
    Thumb-drives are always great in emergencies.
    all jokes aside, pwe trendy, his/her computer is down and out. correct me if im wrong, but dont you and trendy get paid by perfect world entertainment? isnt it your job to deal with the forums and games? and in order to do so you need a computer. SHOULD PWE PROVIDE THE WORKERS WITH A COMPUTER TO DO YOUR JOB?
    What is the harm in giving tech advice? Helping others is an act of humility.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You're welcome.

Had to check to see what problem you specifically were experiencing as there have been several reported, and we have simple fixes for some, but not all.

The FPS problem is still being reported by many players. I don't have a response from the Devs about a fix or identifying the problem exactly, otherwise I would try to help you out directly here.

I will check in with them today after maintenance and see what is going on. Hopefully I will get an answer for you and others who are still waiting. Sorry they haven't addressed this sooner.

Let me see what I can do about lighting a fire under this.

~CaptainSmirk

Smirk, I would like to thank you sincerely for an acknowledgement on this. It goes a long way with a lot of people and we are happy for some engagement.

The CPU/GPU thread pretty much contains it all for the devs to read through. But it seems to boil down to the new content and old content not being playable at the same quality as before. As an example, since S9, I get on average 4FPS-8FPS in SB24. Prior to S9 it was super smooth with all effects on Max.

If you do light a fire under this, I'll buy you a crate of beer or any other beverage of your choosing. :D
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks, all.

That is the answer I was expecting.

I only use the desktop for STO and to hold media to stream to my tablet, so there isn't much that really needs to be backed up, but I will start tucking my data away in hidey holes.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    gavriil1983gavriil1983 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Her computer that broke is her home machine. No other correction to your comment is needed.

~CaptainSmirk

That sucks. She's a pretty cool person. For what it's worth, if I could I'd help her fix it. :)
  • Options
    afreebyafreeby Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Holy TRIBBLE this thread is responsive.

What kind of sandwich should I buy for lunch?
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Any ideas?
    I have heard of cases where damaged/loose cables made harddrives appear defective (but don't know if that's possible with SATA drives too)
    Before you panic and throw out the drive, try replacing the cables and/or use different connectors, then run another test.
    Also, check the drives self-diagnostic with smartmontools or similar software URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_S.M.A.R.T._tools"]wikipedia-link[/URL
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Cheese and lettuce with ketchup.

:D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks, all.

That is the answer I was expecting.

I only use the desktop for STO and to hold media to stream to my tablet, so there isn't much that really needs to be backed up, but I will start tucking my data away in hidey holes.
    You haven't seen my back-up drives. rofl... I have four external drives with over 1 terabyte of information.

Databases, websites, ads, brochures, posters, photography, psychology essays, graphic design essays, my thesis, my books, etc... Way too much information.

I wish I didn't need a desktop.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Tunafish with lettuce, tomato, and chiptole sauce. On a roll.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    kamakaze101kamakaze101 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A BLT. Its got the best thing in the world on it...... BACON!
  • Options
    toznogtoznog Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Big Mac's are currently on sale for 2 for $5. Use the rest of your lunch money for Zen. Convert to Keys. Sell on the exchange.

:P
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    toznog wrote: »
    Big Mac's are currently on sale for 2 for $5. Use the rest of your lunch money for Zen. Convert to Keys. Sell on the exchange.

:P

oooo good idea
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    You haven't seen my back-up drives. rofl... I have four external drives with over 1 terabyte of information.

Databases, websites, ads, brochures, posters, photography, psychology essays, graphic design essays, my thesis, my books, etc... Way too much information.

I wish I didn't need a desktop.

Hehe!

I used to be like that, as well.

Then I devised Kimberly's First law of Computing.

Never use a computer for anything important. Ever.

When one thinks about how they actually work, only a fool would commit something important to one.

I only use them for entertainment purposes. I have a lot more fun this way.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    havam wrote: »
    Well I appreciate the advice but the mac client forum has been completely abandoned by the devs. We're bug reporting like crazy, after crashes my client regularly sends 1gb (!) error reports to cryptic, at least it says it does.
    Mac client updates just happen, but don't appear in the patchnotes. Maybe a bit more of a two way communication would help here. An update to the known issues list (aa settings, no right click navigation, sound issues...), as well as currently supported hardware is in order.

If the Devs would let us know what kind of info they need thread dumps, more specific reproduction steps i m sure they would get it.

going through the post it seems pretty clear that despite the obvious (no multi-touch aka mac native mouse suuport etc) the client is extremely unstable on newer hardware whereas old minimum spec hardware performs okish.

I know for most bug reports, repro steps are key. Best thing in fact that you or any other players can provide. Step by step repro steps. Tell us what you did, what the game/system did in response, what the end result was and also what it should have been.

From there it is all subjective.

If they aren't responding, I will have to see what I can do to help. Make sure to check the known bugs list, they might be paying more attention there.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hehe!

I used to be like that, as well.

Then I devised Kimberly's First law of Computing.

Never use a computer for anything important. Ever.

When one thinks about how they actually work, only a fool would commit something important to one.

I only use them for entertainment purposes. I have a lot more fun this way.
    I use my desktop for work. I also have a back-up computer. Since Adobe Creative Cloud is now a service, I have no choice but to use an internet connected rig. I use to keep everything on an offline desktop; however, the shift towards services has changed everything.

Since I built my last two computers, I feel very comfortable in storing information on both systems. I just back everything up on external hard-drives. Fixing and maintaining desktops is easy and cheap.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Maintenance is now complete! Thanks for your patience. We'll see you back in-game!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I've been experiencing the lag in new ESD as well.

But the graphics problem I'm having that has started since S9 is my Video Driver failing. At least once during gameplay my whole screen goes black for a few seconds. I get this message:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 335.23 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Here is a Issue that should be on the known issues list

Yellowstone pets cause the NPC's to vanish on PvE

The NPCs can still shoot you but you cannot target them

this should really be fixed

+1 please address, really sucks being blasted by the gate or a cube, or having the gennys disappear while trying to take down the transformer, and you cant target a thing.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    Trendy will be back, but her laptop gained sentient consciousness and evolved into a giant glowing ball of light, and promptly got the hell out of here to avoid anymore bacon jokes and Gorn humor. So no more working from home for her early in the AM.

In the meantime, let's keep this thread on topic so I don't have to start handing out moderation to anyone before things get anymore back and forth flamey.

This topic is about the maintenance, not the rep system "everyone" hates, not Ba'al, not bacon.

Maintenance.

As far as the Loadout tray problem is concerned, the Devs must still be trying to figure out a fix. Once maintenance is done, I will check in on current known issues that have remained. Hopefully they will have a fix by next week's patch.

~CaptainSmirk

Add the yellowstone pets to the look at and fix list please

In pve they make the enemy vanish you cant trget them but they can target you and your team

I payed 200k fleet credits for these pets and cant use them because right now there useless unless i want to troll the team

I would appreciate it if you could get this to the right desk for look at

Thank's
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The maintenances have been finishing sooner than the deadline lately.

Which is rather nice folks.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Any ideas?

Hm, sorry but this is the classic symptom of a dying hard drive. This happens mostly in laptops. In fact, happened to me a while ago in my old laptop. Is your computer a laptop ?. If thats the case, thats your answer. If your computer is not a laptop, then it will be more hard to know what is the problem, but ticking sounds on the hard drive mostly are due to the end-life of the drive. The heads are dealligned (i dunno how to say this in english, i am thinking in my languaje but i cant translate in english LOL).
  • Options
    captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ticking just means the drive has encountered a sector it can't read. It could just be an isolated incident, or indicative of a dying drive.

A program like Spin-Rite is highly useful as it will thoroughly test every sector on the drive, recover as much data as possible from bad sectors, and then mark those areas bad so the system won't try to use them again.

The development of a few bad sectors doesn't necessarily mean the drive is failing, as there are a number of ways a drive can develop a bad spot on an otherwise healthy drive. If bad sectors continue to pop up then it would be a good idea to replace the drive. Doing a backup of important files is something everyone should be doing anyway on a regular basis.
This discussion has been closed.