test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (May 22nd, 2014) [COMPLETED]

1235»

Comments

• mclaybowen1mclaybowen1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i'm having trouble logging in. I keep getting "Error 36: a file was locked that could not be open for writing".
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i'm having trouble logging in. I keep getting "Error 36: a file was locked that could not be open for writing".

Try opening the game as "Run as Administrator". It's what solved the same problem in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=372661
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • erickennethgerickennethg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Same problem here. It worked fine last night,
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ticking just means the drive has encountered a sector it can't read. It could just be an isolated incident, or indicative of a dying drive.

A program like Spin-Rite is highly useful as it will thoroughly test every sector on the drive, recover as much data as possible from bad sectors, and then mark those areas bad so the system won't try to use them again.

The development of a few bad sectors doesn't necessarily mean the drive is failing, as there are a number of ways a drive can develop a bad spot on an otherwise healthy drive. If bad sectors continue to pop up then it would be a good idea to replace the drive. Doing a backup of important files is something everyone should be doing anyway on a regular basis.

The click of death doesn't necessarily mean bad sectors; it's often a symptom of warping of the platter surface/head/arms or some piece of debris inside being caught on them. Bad sectors are a symptom of this as the heads are making contact with the platters and physically damaging them. This creates debris (or more debris) which causes more damage, and you get a death spiral.

Also, FYI - the drive itself has a mechanism to detect and mark bad sectors, and the drive has spare sectors that it uses to replace bad ones. This is all automatic in firmware. If you are finding bad sectors on your drive with a 3rd party app, it means that the drive has exceeded the spare sectors, and that's a bad thing. If you are finding bad sectors, go get yourself an app that can read SMART data from the drive; if it shows the drive is failing, believe it. Back up and get ready to replace it - it may not happen next week or next month, but it's a warning that the drive is on its way to a failure.
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nccmark wrote: »
    Is this a joke? Why wouldn't you open the boxes now and just collect the marks in your totals?
    There is absolutely no need to collect those boxes, even if you aren't using the marks for projects right away.

No this isn't a joke. Why offer boxes with marks, if we have already a section Reputation Marks in the assets tab of our inventory. Those marks can go easily directly into this section, whithout having first a pop up with the kind of marks you are going to recieve, which you have to confirm. Then you have to open your inventory, search for the boxes between the clutter of junk loot, select them and use them with right mouse button and a drop down menu. It's not practical, annoying and can be done (was before Season 9) on a more user friendly manner.
    edited May 2014
    how do i run as admin?
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    how do i run as admin?

Right click on the STO launcher. There should be an option called "Run as Administrator". You may have to type in your password.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No this isn't a joke. Why offer boxes with marks, if we have already a section Reputation Marks in the assets tab of our inventory. Those marks can go easily directly into this section, whithout having first a pop up with the kind of marks you are going to recieve, which you have to confirm. Then you have to open your inventory, search for the boxes between the clutter of junk loot, select them and use them with right mouse button and a drop down menu. It's not practical, annoying and can be done (was before Season 9) on a more user friendly manner.

You can double-click the boxes to get the marks.
    But yes, it is annoying that you get them in the first place
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ticking just means the drive has encountered a sector it can't read. It could just be an isolated incident, or indicative of a dying drive.

A program like Spin-Rite is highly useful as it will thoroughly test every sector on the drive, recover as much data as possible from bad sectors, and then mark those areas bad so the system won't try to use them again.

The development of a few bad sectors doesn't necessarily mean the drive is failing, as there are a number of ways a drive can develop a bad spot on an otherwise healthy drive. If bad sectors continue to pop up then it would be a good idea to replace the drive. Doing a backup of important files is something everyone should be doing anyway on a regular basis.

She says that hears a few ticks every time the hard drive loads. That is not just a bad sector. That is a physical symptomp. And this can produce as well a lot of bad sectors. As i said, be ready to replace the hard drive. Its and advise. I mean, it can last days, weeks or even a few months, but save the money just in case, thats wat im talking about ^^
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wow! How big was the patch? I clicked the button to patch, turned around and pulled on a t-shirt, when I looked back at the screen it was finished! Couldn't have been more than 15-20 seconds...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    She says that hears a few ticks every time the hard drive loads. That is not just a bad sector. That is a physical symptomp. And this can produce as well a lot of bad sectors. As i said, be ready to replace the hard drive. Its and advise. I mean, it can last days, weeks or even a few months, but save the money just in case, thats wat im talking about ^^

Mebbe better to switch off the write cache buffer from your HDD's like : Select your HDD -> Properties -> Tab Hardware -> double click the HDD out of the presented list -> Tab Policies -> Check the Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device.

This not only removes the clicks, in my case, but also prevents "software not responding", due to parking of the headers and it makes your system a bit faster & agile.
    edited May 2014
    i don't have that option. I'm playing the free verison on ARC. i am re-downloading startrek online to see if that help's. i will repost if i still have trouble
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    New Romulus missions objectives are not intractable. :(

Do you check the patch before patching? :P
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I too - am having boat loads of problems on New Romulus ground. Was able to complete The Atlai, but absolutely nothing interactive works in the staging area.

Looks like this one should have been punted back by the QA team. There's a post in the Gameplay Bug Reports sub-forum, but so far, no official response.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I too - am having boat loads of problems on New Romulus ground. Was able to complete The Atlai, but absolutely nothing interactive works in the staging area.

Looks like this one should have been punted back by the QA team. There's a post in the Gameplay Bug Reports sub-forum, but so far, no official response.

azure nebula rescue is bugged also lol.

• kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited May 2014
    Can we expect an emergency patch to fix the patch as earlier today i could do the interacts on New Romulus staging area mission ,on another alt, and 5 hrs later there are now no interacts to do mission:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/kapla1755/2014-05-22_00002.jpg
    You can see the sparks from the conduct shuttle maintence submission but no interact to do it.

tried restarting the game, switching instance, no fix, am in the process of force verifying game files in the hope that that resolves the problem will update post after that completes and I restart the game.

Update.... ok finished force verifing and no fix: http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/kapla1755/2014-05-22_00005.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blgoldenforceblgoldenforce Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If New Romulus is having so many problems right now, remind me to steer clear of the planet until further notice, at least on my Fed and Klingon characters.
  • ogremindesogremindes Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There is no current replacement for that indicator. I agree though, Arc needs one.

Amongst other things...

~CaptainSmirk

Does other things include a web designer?
  • razorwalkerrazorwalker Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    edited May 2014
    I can also confirm that both the NR missions have no interaction and both Queued Events (Azure Rescue & The Vault: Ensnared) are NOT providing any extra marks. Not the permanent doubling, not this weekend's Bonus.
This discussion has been closed.