test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New stf afk Penalty

r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
i see in the new Patch there will be afk Penaltys issued i would like some clarity on how long is it before you will be deemed afk what if you need to nip to the loo or you have lag or disconect does this mean you afk is there a time limit

i think they should be clear on this i know some go afk diliberatly but some dont i would hate anyone getting afk penalty if they have a good reason for being afk

your thoughs guys
Post edited by r24681012 on

Comments

• arcangelslayarcangelslay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was so glad there were afk penalties introduced when I returned from a break of STO.

for me this was a plight to STF's, couldn't go three matches at times without some %@&* sitting there while the rest of us fought an often loosing battle!

I feel they shouldn't make the penalty system public, I don't want people thinking of ways to exploit it.

I understand people have to go to the loo, but I think the missions are often so short you should take that into consideration before starting a mission.

I also think that its based on overall activity in a mission, not just a couple of minutes not moving.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I understand people have to go to the loo, but I think the missions are often so short you should take that into consideration before starting a mission.

I have to agree here. Most ESTFs can be done in under 10 minutes. If you did not go before hand, then holding it for 10 minutes should not be a problem.

If holding it for 10 minutes is a problem, please see a medical professional for advice ;)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. The feature is not new, its already been on a lot of old missions they're just expanding it.
    2. To my knowledge there is no official information as to what constitutes "AFK" by the system. Some people have speculated that it has to do with DPS.
    3. Yes, they should be clear as to what they're penalizing, but they're not.
    4. Personally, I'd just quit a mission if I needed to do something else. Most queues have no leaver penalty and the ones that do, its only half the AFK penalty.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nope if you can't dedicate the next 30 minutes to an STF, you shouldn't queue up for that STF. It's not fair to other players when you AFK while in a group - your personal life while it may seem very important to you, is not at all important to the people you are queuing up with. Show them some consideration and be at keys. If you have other things to be doing, you probably shouldn't be playing a game.

Maybe if your grandma suddenly dropped dead, yes I could see you leaving the STF, but not going AFK. But you can only use that excuse twice ever - no one has 3 grandmothers it's impossible. Going to the loo is not an excuse. You're a grown up, so go before you play or hold it in.
    edited May 2014
    Nope if you can't dedicate the next 30 minutes to an STF, you shouldn't queue up for that STF. It's not fair to other players when you AFK while in a group - your personal life while it may seem very important to you, is not at all important to the people you are queuing up with. Show them some consideration and be at keys. If you have other things to be doing, you probably shouldn't be playing a game.

Maybe if your grandma suddenly dropped dead, yes I could see you leaving the STF, but not going AFK. But you can only use that excuse twice ever - no one has 3 grandmothers it's impossible. Going to the loo is not an excuse. You're a grown up, so go before you play or hold it in.

You may want to reconsider that bit in red....

A person who was adopted as a child may have,

Grandfather and Grandmother from their biological father,
    Grandfather and Grandmother from their biological mother,
    Grandfather and Grandmother from their adoptive father,
    Grandfather and Grandmother from their adoptive mother.

I count 4 of each here, so they "could" use, death of a "grandma" 4 times....

Now, when you factor in things like same gender relationships, things get quite complex...

Grandfather and Grandmother from their biological father,
    Grandfather and Grandmother from their biological mother,
    Grandmother and Grandmother from their adoptive father,
    Grandfather and Grandmother from their adoptive mother.

Now in that list, you get 5 grandmothers and 3 grandfathers, so the excuse would hold 5 times.

Really, you should not make the assumption everyone comes from the same cookie cutter family dynamic - as we don't. I for example, only ever had 1 Grandmother and Grandfather in my life, so I cannot use death of "grandma" twice, as I've never had 2 in my life.

I love when people incorrectly imply or use "impossible" :D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The penalties on STF's has been there for quite a while.

But the fact that several more of the queued fleet missions are getting them too now is very satisfactory... Now if we could make it a Standart for STF's, Fleet missions and Fleet Actions, it would be awesome.

I don't think we are going to get the math behind the penalties, since that would make them to easy to get around... I mean... If you aren't AFK'ing, what interest is there in knowing the math anyways?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i Don't Afk but what if the phone rings or your cooking something or some one knocks on the door you walk away and come back to find you have been penalised for being afk i don't thing its fair if we new the time scale for being afk then we could make sure if such things happen we can be quick

i do agree knowing the time scale for afk would open it up to be taken advantage of which is a worry no doubt but i still believe the rules should be clear
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As unbelievable as it may sound to some people, the other players in multiplayer games are not there to serve you. While you may consider videogames to be second only to dead grandmothers in importance, others have more realistic sense of priorities. Some people have more important concerns than some random people they never have and never will meet succeeding in some game.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The afk thing should be a auto disconnect from the STF after say 3 mins, that way somebody else came come into it and help out, problem solved.

Of course the other side of the coin is, it's a game, the hysteria over losing the optional is simply astonishing, or the public stoning of people not pledging a blood oath for putting their lives on hold for the duration of the stf is quite scary.

And it's not like there are not options open to everybody, if your a casual gamer then you will no doubt go the pug route, if you require the soul of somebody's first born to be pledged toward you putting your life on hold for the duration of the STF, then you would use one of the many public dedicated channels to do your STF.

I personally have tried them all and i cant really say i have seen the AFK thing as that much of a issue, i have seen more people losing connections than people away AFK for the duration of the stf.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    r24681012 wrote: »
    your thoughs guys

It's a penalty. Details of how it works fuel finding ways to negate it. All we need to know is "actually play, don't AFK" when in queued events. It's not brain surgery.

When queued up with others, play. Do your AFKing standing around someplace with the creepy ERPers. If you can't handle this, you're playing the wrong type of game and need to move along to something that suits your "all about me" mentality. Fortunately, there are plenty of good single-player games around.
    Maybe if your grandma suddenly dropped dead, yes I could see you leaving the STF, but not going AFK. But you can only use that excuse twice ever - no one has 3 grandmothers it's impossible.

Pffft...all *4* of my grandmothers died long ago. You forget about things like divorce and remarriage. :P
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited May 2014

When queued up with others, play. Do your AFKing standing around someplace with the creepy ERPers. If you can't handle this, you're playing the wrong type of game and need to move along to something that suits your "all about me" mentality. Fortunately, there are plenty of good single-player games around.
    Not sure what this paragraph actually has to do with the op's question, or why you brought it up in general.:confused::confused:

For the record though the penalty is ridiculously easy to get round even if you are not trying. I was just starting an stf (cure found elite) when the phone rang. It was my parents friend looking for them (they were out) and she is a bit of a talker. By the time I got back to the computer the mission was in it's last stage. Despite this I came away with out any penalty.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    As unbelievable as it may sound to some people, the other players in multiplayer games are not there to serve you. While you may consider videogames to be second only to dead grandmothers in importance, others have more realistic sense of priorities. Some people have more important concerns than some random people they never have and never will meet succeeding in some game.

Then suck it up and eat the penalty, since the game is not a priority anyway, right?
    edited May 2014
    Not sure what this paragraph actually has to do with the op's question, or why you brought it up in general.:confused::confused:

Some people grasp things better than others. ;)
    edited May 2014
    Some people grasp things better than others. ;)

Neat. And some people fail to explain their meaning. :rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Solution... get more toons...

If you absolutly must abandon a mission or get a disconnect during one and can't make it back on time... jump to a different toon.

I have left before.. only on stf infected ground.. cause a player blows option within first wave :P.. but there is no penalty if everyone leaves and the mission is way too long and hard to run with an inexperienced team (I do try to educate any prior to leaving but many don't know how to read I think).

2 hr penalty is valid to discourage leavers
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If something pops up that needs your attention that badly, then leave the match and take the leaver penalty. That's what I do and it works well. I don't have to do it often, but I have yet to have anyone yell at me for doing it. You'll get much more rage for going AFK mid match. On days where I know I'll be interrupted a lot, I don't even play STO or any online game. I play single player games that can be paused easily. This really isn't a big deal.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • bgbbyjesusbgbbyjesus Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    I have to agree here. Most ESTFs can be done in under 10 minutes. If you did not go before hand, then holding it for 10 minutes should not be a problem.

If holding it for 10 minutes is a problem, please see a medical professional for advice ;)

Irritable bowel syndrome, it effects 30 million Americans. Its a problem you have to live with.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i cant see the difference between a 1 hour penalty and a 2 hour penalty, as if these afk'ers dont take tuns already in stf's to ruin rounds.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited May 2014
    bgbbyjesus wrote: »
    Irritable bowel syndrome, it effects 30 million Americans. Its a problem you have to live with.

No, it's a problem the people who have it have to live with. The rest of us don't, and shouldn't.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    emt27 wrote: »
    Solution... get more toons...

That opens up the path for a different, very interesting debate.
    Should penelties for afk-ing and leaving an STF be account wide?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited May 2014
    questerius wrote: »

Afk-ing, probably not a bad idea. Leaving, absolutely not!

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited May 2014
    questerius wrote: »

Easily answered: Do we want them to be real, effective deterrents or just window-dressing to convince people something's being done while not bothering with the real issue?

...and as long as one can character-jump and keep playing, they're a pretend solution to a real problem.
    edited May 2014
    bgbbyjesus wrote: »

And that is an excuse for AFKing how exactly?

If you are having a bout of diarrhoea, the last thing that should be on your mind is logging in to an online game just to AFK.

If you are suffering with pains due to constipation by IBS, then again, if you are in pain, why are you going in to an online game? You should be dealing with your IBS not trying to deal with an STF.

Expecting others to gain marks for you when you know you are not in a position to play is wrong and should be punished. If sudden symptoms of IBS kick in while playing - logout, go focus on yourself, don't keep jumping in to the public queue system. Come back when you can play.

Also, for those who do not know what IBS is, here is some information. - It is NOT an excuse to be lazy in an online game.

The symptoms of IBS can be troublesome, the condition does not pose a serious threat to your health.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, it's a problem the people who have it have to live with. The rest of us don't, and shouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHlvKQwZFSI :D.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If it was account wide... I don't think it would change my decision (in the example I listed before).. in that case I would weigh the penelty with what I want to accomplish.. most of the time there is plenty of other stuff to do.

And should the penelty be applied to all that leave or just the first 50% that leave and make the goal unachievalbe
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014

If you are having a bout of diarrhoea, the last thing that should be on your mind is logging in to an online game just to AFK.

If you are suffering with pains due to constipation by IBS, then again, if you are in pain, why are you going in to an online game? You should be dealing with your IBS not trying to deal with an STF.
    Now, now, now, IBS can strike without warning, meaning he could sit down to play and boom! Need to head to the bathroom. And sometimes people play games to take their minds off of pain and discomfort - mental distraction is often a good placebo effect. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    warpangel wrote: »

then it is simple just leave the mission, no reason for others to work to give somebody they don't know and will never see free dil/rewards anyways.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• fcsp1910fcsp1910 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Since there's no team vote, I vote 'by feet' and leave the map if I spot an AFKer...or a leecher, who's just flying around a bit miles away from the action hitting 'need' on anything. Before leaving I tag them with 'Ignore Player', so if we meet again I will most certainly know what to expect from this player...

In fact I had half a dozen 'hello again' like that and in 100% of the cases they were doing the same thing: either AFKing or just flying around hitting 'need'. Pretty often those leechers enter an stf with considerable amount of ship damage. Had a couple of those in Viscous Elite recently...

Having a handful of toons I really don't care about the leaver peno. I just switch toons and next stf with decent team mates is just a minute away...
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Expecting others to gain marks for you when you know you are not in a position to play is wrong and should be punished. If sudden symptoms of IBS kick in while playing - logout, go focus on yourself, don't keep jumping in to the public queue system. Come back when you can play.

Also, for those who do not know what IBS is, here is some information. - It is NOT an excuse to be lazy in an online game.

The symptoms of IBS can be troublesome, the condition does not pose a serious threat to your health.

play the game on a laptop and take it to the can wieh you gotta gotta go RIGHT NOW!!!
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG