Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Battles channel (Got Canon?)

Comments

• Options
    trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    emarosa26 wrote: »
    I've been using phasers a little bit (trying to get used to them before I join in on anything), and they're so much fun compared to Dual Heavy cannons. Broadsiding looks badass too. I think I might jump in on something today!

Captain 07,

Sounds good, it is a sight, for me, when I use my Sov and it looks like the scene from First Contact in MY mind. Seeing the phasers and hearing the quantums just do something for me.

Look forward to flying with you!

• Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's fun building for looks rather than (purely) effectiveness, too. I pulled off a set of arrays on Tharon's Sovereign and fit two extra torpedo launchers. Just hated the beam spam that running a 3/1 configuration on both ends promoted. Ditched scatter volley on my cannon ships in favor of rapid fire, weening myself off of fire at will too. I mean, compare this to the spam you usually see in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTPdWYo9zhQ
  • Options
    tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, most of my STB builds are Torpedo centered because of the looks. And those that have cannons use Rapid Fire, because it looks so much better.
    I really enjoy researching what the ships fired in the shows when making my builds. It's a real pain with the klingon vessels, though. I should name my next ship I.K.S Rainbow Warrior, as their weapon SFX is so inconsistent :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It's fun building for looks rather than (purely) effectiveness, too. I pulled off a set of arrays on Tharon's Sovereign and fit two extra torpedo launchers. Just hated the beam spam that running a 3/1 configuration on both ends promoted. Ditched scatter volley on my cannon ships in favor of rapid fire, weening myself off of fire at will too. I mean, compare this to the spam you usually see in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTPdWYo9zhQ
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    Yeah, most of my STB builds are Torpedo centered because of the looks. And those that have cannons use Rapid Fire, because it looks so much better.
    I really enjoy researching what the ships fired in the shows when making my builds. It's a real pain with the klingon vessels, though. I should name my next ship I.K.S Rainbow Warrior, as their weapon SFX is so inconsistent :D

Captains 07

I have also lessened my phasers but am going to 2 arrays/2 torps fore & aft.

In that clip you see the Enterprise fire like 1 phaser beam at a time or like the Valdore 1 volley at at time.

In STO activating FAW will shoot 2 beams from 1 array.... noticed that when I flew my Miranda. Might have to start experimenting with my builds as well to get it a bit more show accurate but still keeping it within the DPS range of 5k. I'm thinking something like 1 Elite Phaser array/Spire tac consoles and buffs.

Captain Setek I know you hit like the sweet spot of 5k with your Exeter and Im sure that looked A LOT closer to the shows.

Worth to see if we can really keep it looking like ST. I'm starting not to like seeing the spam of beams myself.

Here is the REAL FAW - go to 1:49 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHUSpAtemfg

You can see HYT2 and just single phaser shots. Im sure adjustments to strategies have to be made especially for like probes and such but I'm will to see how close I can get it.

See you in game Captains 07
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It has come to our attention that those of us in STB who run parsers are probably running different settings.

Combat Log Reader can be obtained here. It does require Java to run.

As for the settings, under the Advanced tab at the bottom, it will open a second window. Here, you want to change how it reads the Combat Log generated when you type in the command '/CombatLog 1' in the chat box.

Normally, it shows up as 'Active Combat Time (Dmg Out Only)'. You want to change this to 'Overall Combat (From First Hit to last Hit)'. It will give you and accurate reading as to what your ship is dealing out.

Or, you can select the bubble next to 'Use DPS-Channel Settings'. This will give the results primarily for your ship.

Warning: To get an accurate Team reading, you have to remain within 5-10Km of each other. The closer you get, the better the Log can read everyone's DPS/Healing.

Any questions, feel free to ask here, pm/email me in-game @risingstar2009, or any one of the other Mods listed in the first post of this thread.

-risingstar2009
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Normally, it shows up as 'Active Combat Time (Dmg Out Only)'. You want to change this to 'Overall Combat (From First Hit to last Hit)'. It will give you and accurate reading as to what your ship is dealing out.

Also select the bubble next to 'Use DPS-Channel Settings'.

These steps conflict with each other. Selecting 'Use DPS-Channel Settings' changes Overall to Entity's combat time, and changing that back unselects Use DPS-Channel Settings. Up til this point I had been using Overall combat time for my parses.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    These steps conflict with each other. Selecting 'Use DPS-Channel Settings' changes Overall to Entity's combat time, and changing that back unselects Use DPS-Channel Settings. Up til this point I had been using Overall combat time for my parses.

I was unaware of that. Thank you. Will edit my post.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    trizeo1 wrote: »
    Captains 07

I have also lessened my phasers but am going to 2 arrays/2 torps fore & aft.

In that clip you see the Enterprise fire like 1 phaser beam at a time or like the Valdore 1 volley at at time.

In STO activating FAW will shoot 2 beams from 1 array.... noticed that when I flew my Miranda. Might have to start experimenting with my builds as well to get it a bit more show accurate but still keeping it within the DPS range of 5k. I'm thinking something like 1 Elite Phaser array/Spire tac consoles and buffs.

Captain Setek I know you hit like the sweet spot of 5k with your Exeter and Im sure that looked A LOT closer to the shows.

Worth to see if we can really keep it looking like ST. I'm starting not to like seeing the spam of beams myself.

Here is the REAL FAW - go to 1:49 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHUSpAtemfg

You can see HYT2 and just single phaser shots. Im sure adjustments to strategies have to be made especially for like probes and such but I'm will to see how close I can get it.

See you in game Captains 07

Ok so after posting this I HAD to try it and it's worked really well... better than I expected.

I first tried this on my Regen/Sov. I had MK XI green phaser fore & aft and 3 MK XI green torps fore & aft with 1 of quantums being the wide angle and a MK XI blue in the front now that I think of it.

Bought the spire consoles that boosts phasers and quants, 2 phasers & 1 quant for the Sov and she came in higher than I thought at around 6.5+ k so I still can adjust the weapons power or take of a tac console.

I also did the same more or less on my MAVE retrofit and hit around the same.

IMHO it looked WAY better, single phaser shots coming from the fore & aft just seemed more screen accurate and I think I will be switching all my ships to carrying 1 phaser fore & aft. Even with FAW it didn't look AS spammy but I only did use it if there were multiple NPC's instead using BO for the sight & sounds.

So take from this what you will, you can use this configuration if you'd like within STB if not no worries as long as YOUR having fun which is my main concern.

Also PLEASE do note that whilst I have allowed some NON STB builds into some runs please try not to make it a regular habit even if your hitting the DPS sweet spot. Part of the charm of STB is seeing say 5 FED ships firing orange not 4 firing orange and 1 RED.. just saying.

• Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ok so after posting this I HAD to try it and it's worked really well... better than I expected.

I first tried this on my Regen/Sov. I had MK XI green phaser fore & aft and 3 MK XI green torps fore & aft with 1 of quantums being the wide angle and a MK XI blue in the front now that I think of it.

Bought the spire consoles that boosts phasers and quants, 2 phasers & 1 quant for the Sov and she came in higher than I thought at around 6.5+ k so I still can adjust the weapons power or take of a tac console.

I also did the same more or less on my MAVE retrofit and hit around the same.

IMHO it looked WAY better, single phaser shots coming from the fore & aft just seemed more screen accurate and I think I will be switching all my ships to carrying 1 phaser fore & aft. Even with FAW it didn't look AS spammy but I only did use it if there were multiple NPC's instead using BO for the sight & sounds.

So take from this what you will, you can use this configuration if you'd like within STB if not no worries as long as YOUR having fun which is my main concern.

Also PLEASE do note that whilst I have allowed some NON STB builds into some runs please try not to make it a regular habit even if your hitting the DPS sweet spot. Part of the charm of STB is seeing say 5 FED ships firing orange not 4 firing orange and 1 RED.. just saying.

Didn't you hear? Red is the new Orange!

My attempt to dial down didn't seem too extreme to me with 2x MK VII Phaser beams (about 328 dps each) and 2x Mk XI Photon torps front and back on my Excelsior, all Mk X and XI common Photon tac consoles, and weapon power down to half. I ended-up with 3.5K, and this was while I was popping TS3 and FAW.

I guess I tried too hard to dial-down... :P
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    vipspredvipspred Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So I just wanted to say that I absolutely adore the idea of scaled down battles. It's nice to pop a fast 5 min ISE just to kill some time and get the dilithium, but there are times when I'd like to get a more Star Trek-ish feel of the battles. I really like the idea of scaling down the phasers, I absolutely have to go and try it on my T4 Galaxy!

That being said, are there any restrictions on Torpedo types? I'm running my Galaxy with Quantums, not sure if this is a problem.

I'd be honoured to join you, I actually was on the channel on Wednesday as Frishco@vipspred but I accidentally left the channel the following day and now I can't join back :P orz

Captains 07
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Personally I have no problems with Quantums, but only for ships TOS after. Then again, I'm ok with Quantums on the TOSEnterprise, as it was sometimes blue torpedoes. Just pretend they are photon in that case.

If you are about and reading this, leave your @handle, and I'll send you an invite, as I'm going online any minute now.

Sorry I havn't been on much recently.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Aww man. I can't wait to get on and start messing with my builds. :D
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    vipspred wrote: »
    So I just wanted to say that I absolutely adore the idea of scaled down battles. It's nice to pop a fast 5 min ISE just to kill some time and get the dilithium, but there are times when I'd like to get a more Star Trek-ish feel of the battles. I really like the idea of scaling down the phasers, I absolutely have to go and try it on my T4 Galaxy!

That being said, are there any restrictions on Torpedo types? I'm running my Galaxy with Quantums, not sure if this is a problem.

I'd be honoured to join you, I actually was on the channel on Wednesday as Frishco@vipspred but I accidentally left the channel the following day and now I can't join back :P orz

Captains 07

Captain Frishco 07,

Welcome back to the channel!

Not really per ce, I use quantums on ALL my fed ships. You would like to think that they would've upgraded the ships by now.

What has come into question is the use of say the Harpeng.. if that's allowed does that make EVERY torpedo now aloud? We have made use of say the Undine torpedoes when we fight them. Like I mentioned tho earlier part of the charm of STB is having fed ships fire phasers/quantums/photons.

We can always discuss freely.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Captain Frishco 07,

Welcome back to the channel!

Not really per ce, I use quantums on ALL my fed ships. You would like to think that they would've upgraded the ships by now.

What has come into question is the use of say the Harpeng.. if that's allowed does that make EVERY torpedo now aloud? We have made use of say the Undine torpedoes when we fight them. Like I mentioned tho earlier part of the charm of STB is having fed ships fire phasers/quantums/photons.

We can always discuss freely.

Well, seeing how all the default Fed loadouts have photons in them, I wouldn't be so sure about those upgrades :D

I guess that "themed" weapons aren't a bad idea - Bio-moleculars against the Undine, Transphasics against the Borg, but yeah, I agree that keeping the canon weapons is one of the charms.

My only other wonder would be the KCB. I know that it's far from standard equipment at your Requisition Officer, but since it doesn't have any visual or audio effects, it shouldn't really interfere with immersion, right?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    vipspred wrote: »
    Well, seeing how all the default Fed loadouts have photons in them, I wouldn't be so sure about those upgrades :D

I guess that "themed" weapons aren't a bad idea - Bio-moleculars against the Undine, Transphasics against the Borg, but yeah, I agree that keeping the canon weapons is one of the charms.

My only other wonder would be the KCB. I know that it's far from standard equipment at your Requisition Officer, but since it doesn't have any visual or audio effects, it shouldn't really interfere with immersion, right?

Captain 07

It is a personal choice, for me, to use quantums on my Gal but I also use Phontons on her.

As for the "themed" weapons... I tried them against the Undine & Borg and TBH I didn't care for them so I will NOT be using them. There is nothing like seeing/hearing quantums or photons coming out of my torpedo tubes... it just does something for me.

For your inquirey about the KCB I would suggest not using it. It does have a sound as well a pinkish color. It just doesn't feel right TBH for me. I have mine just collecting dust ATM but those days of min/maxing are over for me. STB or not I will fly my ship the STB way.

Anymore questions please feel free to ask me in game or here.. thank you Captain 07
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For your inquirey about the KCB I would suggest not using it. It does have a sound as well a pinkish color.

oO I guess we learn new things every day...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The KCB just makes me wish there were 360 beams for every energy type. That thing looks awesome firing from the Charal class, but it's pink! I'd love to throw a 360 Andorian phaser on there -- a beam looks so much better firing from those hardpoints than a turret does.
  • Options
    stochapinstochapin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OK...I have been reading this thread for a while...lurking on the outskirts you might say.
    I really like this concept. I don’t know if I am up to it, but I would like to give it a shot.
    Please contact me: @stochapin.
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hi guys. I've been speccing ships for STB of late, and I have a question regarding KDF side. I wanted to ask about item visuals - I can't remember if they were a no-no or not. The item in question is the KHG shield - I find its visuals to be closer to canon than some hull materials, and I wanted to ask if its use was permissible.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Only weapons are restricted.

As for the space sets, you can turn off the visuals by right-clicking on the item and selecting disable visuals. Though, if it looks more canon as to what you've seen on TV or the big screen, by all means, use it.

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Honor Guard shield is pretty much a must have on the Nov, as far as I'm concerned. Usually I like to see ships as canon as possible (and in terms of game canon, the Nov should be using the Dyson material), but that ship and the other science destroyers are definitely an exception.
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If anyone wants a hand getting their ships setupsend me an in game message @steveangelis.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    stochapin wrote: »
    OK...I have been reading this thread for a while...lurking on the outskirts you might say.
    I really like this concept. I don’t know if I am up to it, but I would like to give it a shot.
    Please contact me: @stochapin.

Captain 07

All we ask is you give it a shot, if it's not your cup of tea then no problem.

We try to have fun as much as we can with what we have that is STO and the way we do it is to not worry about mix/maxing but just fly the ship you want to fly.

STB has given me the ability to command 15 ships across all my Captains. Keeps it fun and interesting. If we get a team together we sometimes fly according to what we have and what we are about to go into. I tend to fly some of my ships heavier than others like the Sov, Defiant, Galaxy, Akira or Nova but those are some of my favorite ships.

I sent you the invite and have tried to catch you online.

Hope to talk to you soon - thanks for your interest and hope to fly alongside you 07
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How often does the lower tier runs happen?

Just looked at a few videos and the ones that have a couple t5 ships make the runs seem a tad too "smooth."

Just curious if they are a regular occurrence
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    dahminus wrote: »

Just looked at a few videos and the ones that have a couple t5 ships make the runs seem a tad too "smooth."

Captain 07

Hello and thank you for your interest.

To address your comment about the smoothness of the run, most still are and I'm finding the challenge is mostly fighting against the clock like finishing CURE with 20 seconds left! We still find that some of us are blowing up say when we are working to get the gen down in ISE and 1 ship is left to CC the incoming spehres... nothing will blow you up faster than 5 spheres plus gate draining your shields and shooting at you! hahahahah. Also due to the prolonged battle sometimes the borg will catch us when our CDs are ticking and on Elite if you get blown up more than 2 or 3 times that could be a long while without a ship doing dps with already lack of dps which does make it more interesting covering for that ship until the Captain can return.

We actually had a low tier run last night. 8 Captains flying a mix of Connies, Excels a T'liss and Miranda. We ran Klingon Scout Force.. MAN that was a LONG fight! about 40 mins! hahahaa... but had a blast and it felt great to finish something like that in low tier ships.

The night prior we did one as well with Excels, Connie and the OP Obereth!. I think we did a FA and ISN? THAT was fun as well.

It also depends on peoples availability. Before S9 we were doing low tier runs in SB24 but since S9 people have been having trouble with that mission due to graphics/lag myself included.

I bought the Miranda and recently the Excel and Connie as well as the NX-01 for such runs as I plan on doing them as often as I can. I actually suggested we do a NX run of something just cuz... wasn't a fan of the show really or the ship but it was a pretty good sale so I said why not.

A bit of a heads up... sometimes organizing DOES take time so I ask to please be patient as sometimes we are waiting for people to set up their ships or due to bugs re-equipping their ships. I'd like to say and think that the wait IS worth it tho in the end.

Hopefully that answers your questions but please feel free to ask if you have anymore here in the thread or in game. My handle is @trizeo1, look forward to hearing from you again Captain 07
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I've actually been thinking the same thing myself lately. We might want to look into the acceptable DPS again, it still feels like we're tearing through some of these way too easily.

---

We don't do ground content nearly as often as I'd like in STB (mainly because about half the channel regulars seems to hate them), but I did a really cool mission replay recently, where we were in the same uniform (Odyssey in this case, with the official colors) using the elite fleet phasers. That was awesome, best part is it happened spontaneously, without planning it. I hope canon uniforms and weapons will eventually become a thing for ground STB runs, like it has for space.

Mr. Tom's holodeck program last night was pretty cool, too.
  • Options
    tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Low tier runs are definitely popular in STB. We do them all the time.
    We just did an ISE with a full team of Exeters. We almost got the optional but the timer ran out. The whole thing took 40 minutes and it was a BLAST! Nothing like getting the message "you earned 75 Omega Marks" and thinking "yes, I EARNED them!"
    BTW: Did you know, that the Tactical Cube warps back to the gate and goes up to 100% hull and shields when you lure it 40km away from the gate? I didn't! :D
    Those are the runs where STB really shines. We communicate a lot, change tactics on the fly. We have a lot of REALLY good players in this group.

I agree, that a full wing of 4-5k DPS T5 ships can be too powerful when the team play is good. It's really running too smooth sometimes. The problem is, that mission difficulties are highly inconsistent. While that team might go through ISE without a problem it could totally fail in other missions. Or even in the next ISE run when the Tac Cube is on steroids. I'm not sure if limiting the max DPS to 4k or something would change that much.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Personally I have no problems with Quantums, but only for ships TOS after. Then again, I'm ok with Quantums on the TOSEnterprise, as it was sometimes blue torpedoes. Just pretend they are photon in that case.

If you are about and reading this, leave your @handle, and I'll send you an invite, as I'm going online any minute now.

Sorry I havn't been on much recently.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Most of my Sci-ship builds use torpedoes as their primary damage-dealer regardless of the scenario in which I am using it.

My Fleet Nova (being the ship I use more frequently than anything else) certainly benefits from this. Only one dual-beam bank forward, accompanying two photon torpedo launchers. With the new consoles etc that boost photon torpedo damange, and two Spire Tac consoles with a photon torp focus, can score some great crits. And the gravimetric torp aft is fantastic - TSIII + GWIII = bad news for (NPC) enemy ships.

Anyway - sorry haven't been around much lately guys - just not finding the time to get online as much as I used to :(

Captains 07,

You guys never need to be sorry for not being online or sorry for anything really.

Play when you guys can and hopefully we can get in a run or 2. I know it's more to do with our timezones as well but nothing can be done about that.

RL is more important than STO, if something came up on my end I would drop STO in a heartbeat as RL/family comes first.

Hope to talk to you guys soon 07
  • Options
    revelator6674revelator6674 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This concept is great and I'd love to give this a shot at some point. What time zone do you guys usually set these up to run? It's not limited to just federation, right?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    This concept is great and I'd love to give this a shot at some point. What time zone do you guys usually set these up to run? It's not limited to just federation, right?

Captain 07

It has been quite fun since for me and others as well since the creation of STB. Not having to worry about bringing the heavy guns out and melting everything has been a welcomed concept.

I love that you can fly whatever you want and no one will say anything. It has been more focused on playing as a team and just having fun.

My time is MST and I'm always on everyday and play 5pm - 12pm ish with breaks in between Monday to Friday and the weekends are when I can. We have members from UK and States. Usually active in my timeframe can and has varied from 2 - 20 players. Just depends on peoples mood. I understand that some don't want to play ISE in like 15 - 40 mins but some, like myself, am up for challenge hence did a ISE in a full Connie team.

Sometimes things take time to get organized and I'll admit that I'm not the fastest at getting things together but the wait is usually worth it in the end.

Most of us have multiple characters I have a Kdf and Rom Fed and we also have full team runs on the Kdf side as well. It is more Fed heavy tho as for myself just prefer Fed.

I do hope you give STB a shot and that I/we get a chance to fly/fight alongside you. Please feel free to leave you handle here or contact me in game @trizeo1

Look forward to hearing from you 07