test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Open PVP to Everyone

blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Give us CLASSIC PVP - Updated

A PVP Q where all DOFFs, Universal Consoles and Lobi Store Items are disabled.

99% of all people who don't PVP because it's broke and its all due to DOFFs, Universal Consoles and Lobi Store Items.

Classic PVP Items To Disable

Disable DOFFs
Disable Universal Consoles
Disable Lobi Store Items
Disable BOFF Traits for example 2% CRIT
Disable All Character Traits
Disable Keybinds

Allow the normal Captain who doesn't have
download.jpg
Post edited by blakes7tvseries on

Comments

• Options
    colonelkiracolonelkira Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So Boff Abilities, being an integral part of this game, are now cheese?^^
    58. / SvK
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes, pls nerf!
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2014

OP means traits like Leadership, Efficent and most notably Superior Operative.
    This will also provide a level playing field for entry label players.

Even in a stripped down PvP environment, there will still be haves and have-nots. Anyone with keybinds/macros win. Anyone with high accuracy weapons win. Anyone with PvP experience will win. Anyone with a battlecloak will win. And worst of all, teamwork would still be OP.

And are we limiting the ships? Ship console sets? Might as well get rid of warp cores since we're rolling back to a "purer" PvP time. It's a slippery slope and it will never end; something will always be OP.

The only actual barrier of entry to PvP is an individual's willingness to expend effort.
  • Options
    mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    fatman592 wrote: »
    The only actual barrier of entry to PvP is an individual's willingness to expend effort.
    Well, in "classic pvp times", the only real effort was in refining one's pvp skills. These days a big part of the effort is getting the necessary equipment via pve.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The only way this works is if you choose from a list of prebuilt ships.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The best PVP in this game is the PVP you play as soon as you can do PVP. What is it? LTCMDR when you get the first daily missions? Tier 2 or 3 ships. That PVP is fun.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    Well, in "classic pvp times", the only real effort was in refining one's pvp skills. These days a big part of the effort is getting the necessary equipment via pve.

I totally agree PVP should be about one's skills, not about necessary equipment.

PVP should be fun and available to anyone who wants to join.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Give us CLASSIC PVP - Updated

A PVP Q where all DOFFs, Universal Consoles and Lobi Store Items are disabled.

99% of all people who don't PVP because it's broke and its all due to DOFFs, Universal Consoles and Lobi Store Items.

Classic PVP Items To Disable

Disable DOFFs
    Disable Universal Consoles
    Disable Lobi Store Items
    Disable BOFF Traits for example 2% CRIT
    Disable All Character Traits
    Disable Keybinds

Allow the normal Captain who doesn't have
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited April 2014
    OMFG Really. The OP has a point but before teh solo Queses the problem with PvP is all the premades in the queues. Now it is rep gear/fleet gear/lobi gear etc. So really which is it?
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    inexplicabletiminexplicabletim Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    problem with PvP is all the premades in the queues. Now it is rep gear/fleet gear/lobi gear etc. So really which is it?

PvP have not 1 or 2 problems but much more...
  • Options
    thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The other option, OP, is simply having a...button? Tab? Well, call it what you will, but put "PvP" at the top. When you go to it, you can change your skill arrangement, ship, gear, traits, BOff's, and DOff's all without a dime. No hunting for that elusive K'leel doff, no grinding you nose away for a Plasmonic Leech, no killing yourself doing yet another round of CE for the Fleet Credits for yet another Vulernerability Locator, or farming more epohh's for Romulan BOff's. All gear, all ships, Fleet, Lobi, Lockbox, otherwise is at your finger tips. You can't say you're behind on gear, you can't say you don't have access to the same tools as everyone else, everyone is on the same playing field mechanically.

Well, that's how it should be, but Cryptic doesn't have a vested interest in such competitive PvP, because they make their money selling those same mechanics to players, both to bend and break PvE, as well as to entice and drive players to spend their time in PvE, grinding away at content they may very well not want to do or have interest in to keep the queues there running, while at the same time putting pressure on those who mostly PvP to grind to stay up to par with other players lest they risk becoming obsololete.

...Or at least that's how its been for most Seasons since the launch of f2p (can't really speak to before f2p as I wasn't playing before then), this one has been, Nicor aside and kit revamp aside, fairly light on the power stampede. No new wave of even better DOff's, and the new rep system has nice things for space (especially that trait which basically gives you the stacking DR perk that Elite Fleet Shields have). However, even in light of that, there are now bounds on how powerful an effect traits can have (yeah, they need a balance pass, so do a great deal of things), they're starting to push the open zones gameplay angle harder, it's starting to look to me like they're ramping up to a PvP revamp involving that zone-affecting-other-zones stuff they were talking about a year or so ago. Not quickly, since they need to incorporate PvE content that can, let's say, acclimate folks to needing to work as a team to accomplish things. Loadouts are, I think, a step towards this as well, letting you have your Healer, or CC'er, or Spiker setup for PvP, and your everyday PvE setup available to you otherwise.

/ramble off

Need more coffee.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited April 2014
    PvP have not 1 or 2 problems but much more...

IT really depends. I just find it ironic after a week of the solo queues, the "pugs" have found another reason not PvP, 1st premades, and now this. They also have gone out of the way to call use whiners because we felt this skill, boff, doff, rep set was OP'd.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    IT really depends. I just find it ironic after a week of the solo queues, the "pugs" have found another reason not PvP, 1st premades, and now this. They also have gone out of the way to call use whiners because we felt this skill, boff, doff, rep set was OP'd.
    This is wrong. Classic PVP has been an idea that has been around for a long time. And it usually has been advocated by old veteran players, not by "pugs".
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The op is thinking too much into this. The best solution would be as follows;

separate PvP queue. All players welcome, any ship welcome.

All special/universal consoles removed except for those that come with the ship, and they will remain in the slot they originally came equipped to.

All weapons are reduced to standard issue, and all other consoles (tac, eng, sci) are reduced to Mk 1. Shields are reduced to standard issue of the same type (normal, regenerative, resilient, covarient).

Ships with hangars have their fighters switched to the original equipped pets.

Any and all traits are turned off, all BOFF abilities are reduced to level 1, all captain abilities are reduced to level 1.

All custom keybinds are removed, and replaced with the original keybinds. Macros are removed. If you use a joystick or controller, its keybinds are removed and replaced with a preset design.

All outside chats (such as team speak) are disabled, so teams don't have an unfair advantage in pug queues.

Devices are limited to what everyone has access to. Devices that require subscription or lifetime accounts to unlock will be removed, and each player can only load 5 devices of a certain type (batteries, turrets, etc).
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Think about this...

STF drops were removed, why it was said to hard or unfair.

Wow is PVP not in the same current state or worse impossible if you don't have the right gear, DOFF, and etc.

Having a Classic PVP queue is fair for all.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Bring back NoBS 3 ruleset.

Make a tourney based on those rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Having a Classic PVP queue is fair for all.

There's nobody in this thread saying it would be bad, just people correcting your assumptions. I mean, when you consider all the imbalances that are designed in by cryptic (fleet gear, lockbox ships, etc) then its obvious that you cant just stop with reps and consoles and doffs. You have to do it fully pre-cooked ships, let people choose the ship type from the available set, that is all. There is absolutely no category in this game that has any clear balance, so the only way to have noob PVP is to remove all variables.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    This is wrong. Classic PVP has been an idea that has been around for a long time. And it usually has been advocated by old veteran players, not by "pugs".

It is kind of trippy seeing folks complain about this as the "next complaint" after the queue thing. Didn't the classic come first in discussions? Cause weren't there more active Fleets/teams going at it back then - so there was less "pugstomping" (which itself came about more as Fleets/teams left, leaving those that remained with fewer opponents - or is that all just rationalizing and I'm remembering it completely wrong?)...
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014

Romulans get 7.5% bonus in crit over Feds and klingons

smells like cheese to me

If new players only last a few seconds in pvp how many times will they que it up ?

Got to have a easy level for pvp to get them interested

what we have is demorlizing to them and makes them quit

anyone with any common sense at all should see thet
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    lexintonlexinton Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

smells like cheese to me

If new players only last a few seconds in pvp how many times will they que it up ?

Got to have a easy level for pvp to get them interested

what we have is demorlizing to them and makes them quit

anyone with any common sense at all should see thet

pretty much this. I tried queuing for pvp again today just to make sure it was a lost cause and yup. perma disables. skills iv never heard of and not being able to kill or tank effectively no matter what I do. pvp is broken and has a clear accessibility issue. maybe in a year when I have every piece of gear and every fantastic console il be able to compete. but not now, for now its simply a form of self abuse.

which sucks for me to say cause im pretty big on pvp, I love going against other players. but dieing unfairly in seconds time after time where the only lesson you learn is, you don't have this console or you don't have this set so you get owned. im sure il try again when im geared but honestly only because im a fan of pvp. im sure anyone who isn't that big on it will try it once then never again.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    QUOTE Jellico1

Classic PVP Queue should be fair and available for everyone to play.

Veteran player like myself with five 2% Crit BOFFs is not equal to KDF, Feds, or New players.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    pyronimbuspyronimbus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Competing against the advantages these guys have is simply not feasible. There is no reason for me to invest the hundreds of dollars, or tens of thousands of gaming hours needed to build a character/ship that could hold their own in PvP. Especially when there is no incentive.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    pyronimbus wrote: »
    Competing against the advantages these guys have is simply not feasible. There is no reason for me to invest the hundreds of dollars, or tens of thousands of gaming hours needed to build a character/ship that could hold their own in PvP. Especially when there is no incentive.

Good news for you: You won't need all that premium gear and cheese. You'll simple need a team to play with. Otherwise you will never compete in PvP.

Coordinated teamplay >>> any gear/ship/cheese

You can stomp any aux2noobing scimitar troll teams with the right set-up and strategy on your team. There're counters to anything, and if your team knows how to coordinate those counters, nothing is impossible - even with TRIBBLE gear.
  • Options
    colonelkiracolonelkira Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Good news for you: You won't need all that premium gear and cheese. You'll simple need a team to play with. Otherwise you will never compete in PvP.

Coordinated teamplay >>> any gear/ship/cheese

You can stomp any aux2noobing scimitar troll teams with the right set-up and strategy on your team. There're counters to anything, and if your team knows how to coordinate those counters, nothing is impossible - even with TRIBBLE gear.

This. /10char
    58. / SvK
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, after a certain level, the team you're on makes more of a difference than anything else.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Keybinds are not a instant win by any means, and anyone can use a keybind. No special Boff, Doff, Console, Weapon, Lobi item, or anything other than some time spent reading "key binds for Dummies" is needed for anyone to make and use their own binds.

Kahless moQdu! Some of the complaints about fairness in PvP is ignorant.

At which point did "I dont understand and didnt bother to learn" become the fault of the system?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OMFG Really. The OP has a point but before teh solo Queses the problem with PvP is all the premades in the queues. Now it is rep gear/fleet gear/lobi gear etc. So really which is it?

It is what ever excuse can be used to explain why "they" lost except for that which lies behind the keyboard.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lexinton wrote: »
    pretty much this. I tried queuing for pvp again today just to make sure it was a lost cause and yup. perma disables. skills iv never heard of and not being able to kill or tank effectively no matter what I do.

So pvp is broken because you never heard of some skills?
    Quote worthy. no offense.

pvp is broken and has a clear accessibility issue. maybe in a year when I have every piece of gear and every fantastic console il be able to compete. but not now, for now its simply a form of self abuse.

Basically, what you are saying is that you expect to jump in pvp and pwn left, right and center without knowing mechanics of the game, making effort to learn said mechanics, making any effort to get any gear?
    I'm sorry, but you are not big on pvp or or pvp fan IF that is your expectation

which sucks for me to say cause im pretty big on pvp, I love going against other players. but dieing unfairly in seconds time after time where the only lesson you learn is, you don't have this console or you don't have this set so you get owned. im sure il try again when im geared but honestly only because im a fan of pvp. im sure anyone who isn't that big on it will try it once then never again.

Which is why we need matchmaking and leaderboards.
    There is a simple solution, and you could adapt to pvp way more easily.
    I know that is discouraging for new players to jump in pvp, especially ppl that cannot stand to lose no matter what, but you will not ever get any better if you think that gear will bring your skills up in this game.
    If you are really interested in pvp there are many ways to enter, and you DO NOT nead top gear to play pvp. You just need to know how things function, just like in an FPS game you need to know how weapons fire and recoil.

Disclaimer: i meant no personal offense with a bit harsher tone: you will get my point.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't see the point of some people. Like stripping my ship of all the gear they fear because they don't know a way to get around it? Where's the fun then in PvP when all the ships are the same? Let's start using transporters and beam away EPS circuits. :confused:

STO PvP is IMO one of the hardest I've ever seen. Understanding how ships fly, doffs, skills, passives, careers took me quite a lot of time to get used to. Some can't possibly imagine to go in PvP and expect to start nuking faces expecting to be Q-like entity.
    lexinton wrote: »
    pretty much this. I tried queuing for pvp again today just to make sure it was a lost cause and yup. perma disables. skills iv never heard of and not being able to kill or tank effectively no matter what I do. pvp is broken and has a clear accessibility issue. maybe in a year when I have every piece of gear and every fantastic console il be able to compete. but not now, for now its simply a form of self abuse.

Skills I've never heard of = newcomer.
    Perma disables = learn to get away or call for help from team to heal you / draw aggro away.
    Not being able to tank or kill = if the team sucks you won't tank/kill anyone, proven fact because you won't be given a chance of doing so.
    If you go with a ship equipped with items from drops you'll obviously lose to someone better geared than you. And honestly, everyone has the same potential in PvP. I've grinded so hard to get all three Scimitars, I should see them nerfed and all the high-end equipment gone now because people can't deal with them? Sorry but world doesn't rotate around average community. There's always a counter, and what's worse is that many can't accept the fact that someone is better than him.

Which brings us back to start and continue the loop until someone rants again.

I have to be honest, never heard of you in OPVP, never seen you in a queue, ignored existence until now. You claim to be big on PvP and rant over it? Doesn't make sense. :confused: