test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This makes no sense!

stodatapiocardstodatapiocard Member Posts: 187 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Ten Forward
Why is it the Voyager is still active service, but the Enterprise E is not???? E is supposed to be way more advanced than V!! Did they just get tired of poor old(not really that old) E?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by stodatapiocard on

Comments

• johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why is it the Voyager is still active service, but the Enterprise E is not???? E is supposed to be way more advanced than V!! Did they just get tired of poor old(not really that old) E?

Someone designed a new Enterprise way before they did a poll for more Voyager content. So given that they introduced the F over two years ago, but brought back Tuvok only recently, it made sense to use Voyager. Plus, there may be restrictions on the use of the E that aren't on Voyager.

On top of that, just because the Ent-E was decomissioned, doesn't mean anything. When the -D was the flagship, Starfleet still made use of the Excelsior-class, in spite of the advancement to Ambassador and Galaxy classes since the Enterprise-B's introduction.

Although that being said, why Tuvok doesn't have his own ship, rather than pulling Voyager back into service, is beyond me. The man could have had a Vesta, dammnit!
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Maybe they retrofit Voyager like they did the 1701, but skipped the 10 minutes of slowly circling the ship to show off the new model.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • stodatapiocardstodatapiocard Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Someone designed a new Enterprise way before they did a poll for more Voyager content. So given that they introduced the F over two years ago, but brought back Tuvok only recently, it made sense to use Voyager. Plus, there may be restrictions on the use of the E that aren't on Voyager.

Although that being said, why Tuvok doesn't have his own ship, rather than pulling Voyager back into service, is beyond me. The man could have had a Vesta, dammnit!

Huh, I guess that makes sense, seeing as the Enterprise is much more well known, but I think a Vesta would have been cooler as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Memory Beta confirms that in the STO timeline, the Enterprise-E was destroyed by the Undine in 2408. This is apparently confirmed in one of the Star Trek Magazine stories, Unexpected Honor.

After Starfleet lost contact with Starbase 236 in late September of 2408, the Enterprise was dispatched to investigate. Starfleet was unsure whether the loss of contact was due to an equipment failure or the ongoing war with the Klingon Empire. (ST website: The Path to 2409)

Upon arrival the Enterprise came under attack by the Undine and was destroyed, although most of the crew escaped. (STO short story: "Unexpected Honor")

I haven't read this story, so I can't personally verify the accuracy of this.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • ringlord10ringlord10 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    quintaris wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

The prosecutors calmly step forward, go "WHAT THE BLOODY FRAK?!" and rest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "That is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing, I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Janeway was given a desk job as an Admiral in Nemesis. Chakotay became the Director of Starfleet Intelligence.

Tuvok was the third officer, therefore the chain of command would have put him in charge of the ship.

Also keep in mind that he is a rear admiral (I would have preferred Commodore but that's a debate for another day), and according to 'Admiral' Riker in TNG, an admiral gets to pick their own flagship.

Considering all of the history Tuvok had with Voyager, it's not surprising he decided to keep the ship. He's a Vulcan, and has no ego to bruise when it comes to bigger and more advanced ships. And keep in mind that Voyager isn't any ordinary Intrepid-class starship. Seven years of modifications have turned it into a ship just as capable as any of ours. And that's not counting the magical plot armor it had.

In the latest FE he mentioned it was "Agreeable" to be back in the Delta Quadrant with Voyager, so it's clear he has some emotional attachment to both the ship and his time with Captain Bi-Polar.

As the commanding officer of Voyager, it's his turn to actually do some sane and rational things in the Delta Quadrant -- perhaps trying to make up for past mistakes Janeway made, or wanting to do things 'his' way. To which I think he more than deserves.

I'm also not sure just how canon the STO Short Stories are. Unless one of the gold names from Cryptic decides to speak up and confirm or deny that the STO Short Stories count as firm STO canon, I'll consider the fate of the E to be ambiguous.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ringlord10 wrote: »
    The prosecutors calmly step forward, go "WHAT THE BLOODY FRAK?!" and rest.
    Prosecution: "Objection! Chewbacca does not in fact live on Endor; one major plot point in Return of the Jedi, the capture of the party seeking Princess Leia, was made possible only by the fact that Chewbacca was unfamiliar with Ewoks and their hunting techniques, to the point that he couldn't recognize a trap so bloody obvious that even Han Solo saw it coming! Therefore, the defense's case is clearly a load of dingo's kidneys, and must be disregarded by the jury."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cooper left a post hypnotic suggestion making Tuvok pick Voyager as his ship in the hope of easily killing him, he just didn't count on Tuvok bringing company.
    Since when does something have to make sense in a game that has dinosaurs with friggin lasers on their heads? I think we missed that bus a long long time ago.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Prosecution: "Objection! Chewbacca does not in fact live on Endor; one major plot point in Return of the Jedi, the capture of the party seeking Princess Leia, was made possible only by the fact that Chewbacca was unfamiliar with Ewoks and their hunting techniques, to the point that he couldn't recognize a trap so bloody obvious that even Han Solo saw it coming! Therefore, the defense's case is clearly a load of dingo's kidneys, and must be disregarded by the jury."

Southern Srawl: "Overruled, counselor. Now please sit down before I-I say-I find ya in the contemptah ah court, sir."
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Memory Beta confirms that in the STO timeline, the Enterprise-E was destroyed by the Undine in 2408. This is apparently confirmed in one of the Star Trek Magazine stories, Unexpected Honor.

I haven't read this story, so I can't personally verify the accuracy of this.

As the one who posted it on the wiki, this is my source. sirboulevard pulled it out as a source during an argument over ending the Federation-Klingon War.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm also not sure just how canon the STO Short Stories are. Unless one of the gold names from Cryptic decides to speak up and confirm or deny that the STO Short Stories count as firm STO canon, I'll consider the fate of the E to be ambiguous.
    Considering that the STO Short Stories were written by Kestral, who also writes the dialogue in the game, I'd say that the STO Short Stories ARE STO Canon. No question.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Considering that the STO Short Stories were written by Kestral, who also writes the dialogue in the game, I'd say that the STO Short Stories ARE STO Canon. No question.

This^^^^^

Which reminds me, that lady deserves a promotion for "Surface Tension". The writing in that thing was EPIC.
    edited April 2014

That's still conjecture. Unless Kestrel or Jesse want to speak up in an official capacity and say for certain, I'm still considering the STO short stories ambiguous in terms of canon. Meaning, it could be or it could not be.

After all, we don't consider the Shatnerverse to be canon because Shatner helped write it. :P
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Enterprise E was also destroyed.
  • zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That's still conjecture. Unless Kestrel or Jesse want to speak up in an official capacity and say for certain, I'm still considering the STO short stories ambiguous in terms of canon. Meaning, it could be or it could not be.

After all, we don't consider the Shatnerverse to be canon because Shatner helped write it. :P

I think, in the confines of the Shatnerverse, whatever Shatner writes is canon. Perhaps in the confines of the Kestrelverse whatever Kestrel writes is canon until such point as a committee is formed to declare it non-canon, based on the "Word of God" trope.
    edited April 2014

It's not canon to the TV shows because Paramount and CBS declared that only the TV shows and movies are canon. It's also not canon to the novelverse continuity (i.e. the post-1998 or so continuity containing the Relaunch books, the Star Trek: Titan series, etc.).

But, I'm agreed with zidanetribal: within the confines of itself and any works that reference it, it's canon.

Similarly, I think that unless a STO storyline specifically contradicts something in the STO short stories, we can consider them part of STO canon.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    It's not canon to the TV shows because Paramount and CBS declared that only the TV shows and movies are canon. It's also not canon to the novelverse continuity (i.e. the post-1998 or so continuity containing the Relaunch books, the Star Trek: Titan series, etc.).

But, I'm agreed with zidanetribal: within the confines of itself and any works that reference it, it's canon.

Similarly, I think that unless a STO storyline specifically contradicts something in the STO short stories, we can consider them part of STO canon.

And chances are good it might actually be canon for the game, but my original point is that just because you work on a Star Trek project, no matter how similar, there should be a clear distinction whether or not it is canon for the other.

For instance there are Star Trek writers who after the shows ended, went on to pen novels. Some of which are considered canon, but not canon for STO. But they were still writers for the Star Trek series, therefore it's more or less just a continuation of the show, right?

Not so much, since they're separate projects. We can assume the STO short stories are canon for our game, but they were made specifically for Star Trek Magazine, not for Star Trek Online.

I'm okay with the short stories being ambiguously canon, really. Because chances are good it probably is. But I won't be 100% satisfied before I hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak (not trying to insult Christine Thompson).

Even if bits and pieces from the short stories match up with the game, based on Cryptic's policy of picking and choosing aspects of the novels and whatnot, I'd still need a firm Yes/No from Cryptic over whether or not to accept the entirety of the STO Short Stories, or just those particular bits and pieces.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    quintaris wrote: »
    Snip.
    Objection! Your thinly veiled Chewbacca Defence is thinly veiled!

It kind of makes sense the Enterprise-E is no longer in service. Sovereign's are a dime a dozen now, with other ships now representing the pinnacle of Federation technology. Why would Starfleet want its flagship to be outdated?
    edited April 2014
    There are about six different canons actually.

Roddenberry Canon: Largely discarded today but was considered the gospel truth for years, adheres to only what Gene himself described Star Trek as. Usually includes TOS, the TOS movies, the Roddenberry novels and TNG.

Paramount Canon: Includes every series and movie up until Nemesis, as well as the novelizations of each.

Novel Canon: Includes all the series and movies, as well as the Destiny Novels and the Ships of the Line supplemental material.

Abrams Canon: The Abramsverse movies and their canon. Includes Paramount Canon in the backstory, but outside of Spock, largely ignores it. Also includes the Abramsverse Comics.

STO Canon: Includes Paramount Canon and Abrams Canon, but outside of the destruction of Romulus, largely ignores Abrams Canon. Includes elements of Novel Canon, but outside of a single ship completely ignores the Destiny novels.

Noncanon works: Everything else.
    edited April 2014
    words

'Spose that's fair enough.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited April 2014
    STO Canon: Includes Paramount Canon and Abrams Canon, but outside of the destruction of Romulus, largely ignores Abrams Canon. Includes elements of Novel Canon, but outside of a single ship completely ignores the Destiny novels.

STO canon borrows quite a bit from the novelverse continuity, actually. Roughly everything from the Titan series except the Typhon Pact entry is in, as is most of the Romulan Civil War arc (although that has a different ending here: Donatra's faction ended up making peace and merging back in, instead of her getting captured and committing suicide in prison). And LOR used a hell of a lot of the Romulan worldbuilding from the Rihannsu books. We've also got Mac Calhoun from the New Frontier series.

On the other hand, pretty much nothing after about 2384 stayed, and the Typhon Pact was never formed.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    STO canon borrows quite a bit from the novelverse continuity, actually. Roughly everything from the Titan series except the Typhon Pact entry is in, as is most of the Romulan Civil War arc (although that has a different ending here: Donatra's faction ended up making peace and merging back in, instead of her getting captured and committing suicide in prison). And LOR used a hell of a lot of the Romulan worldbuilding from the Rihannsu books. We've also got Mac Calhoun from the New Frontier series.

On the other hand, pretty much nothing after about 2384 stayed, and the Typhon Pact was never formed.

Usually the things it borrows are concepts and ideas rather than outright continuity. Mostly they're just references. :/
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Would have been neat if they used the Bellerophon Class as Refit... and call it Voyager-A, like they did with the Enterprise Refit back in TMP.

The fact that it even had one of the Bio-Torpedos in the tubes was hilarious though. Its been almost 35 years there? Really? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014

lore suggests that the enterprise vanished into a small nebula and wasnt heard of since, considered MIA, starfleet built the ENT-F, not waiting on the E to return home. turns out it did return home, but what happened to the crew after this i do not know.

Voyager was meant to be a museum piece on the grounds of starfleet like the nx-01, but like the nx-01 that was brought out of the schematics and put to use with 25th century tech because of the rising violence, voyager was freed from its captivity as well and brought upto specs.

why are you complaining about voyager and Enterprise tech differences, you should re-direct your nerd rage at the difference between nx-01 and sovvie.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There are about six different canons actually.

Roddenberry Canon: Largely discarded today but was considered the gospel truth for years, adheres to only what Gene himself described Star Trek as. Usually includes TOS, the TOS movies, the Roddenberry novels and TNG.

Paramount Canon: Includes every series and movie up until Nemesis, as well as the novelizations of each.

Novel Canon: Includes all the series and movies, as well as the Destiny Novels and the Ships of the Line supplemental material.

Abrams Canon: The Abramsverse movies and their canon. Includes Paramount Canon in the backstory, but outside of Spock, largely ignores it. Also includes the Abramsverse Comics.

Noncanon works: Everything else.
    But there is no single "novelverse" continuity; each author is free to accept or reject anything from the other novels that they choose, and they generally do. For instance, John Ford is the only author who used his unique take on the Klingons, and Duane's novels are the only place you'll find a Sulamid transporter officer.

However, ever since arguments over canon began (which, as I recall, was about ten minutes after the James Blish novel Spock Must Die! was published), the official statement has been that if it's been filmed it's canon, and anything else (novels, comics, fanfic, hieroglyphics found carved into a kilometer-high slab on the third moon of Gliese 151g, whatever) was "soft canon" at most. Yes, that means that "JJTrek" is canon, although taking place in a divergent universe with a somewhat different history. (I won't bore you with my treatise on why ENT should be considered a prequel to the Abrams movies...) And to my chagrin, that means Insurrection and Nemesis are canon, as well. Meanwhile, The Wounded Sky, despite its general excellence, is non-canon. Sucks, but there it is.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited April 2014
    And keep in mind that Voyager isn't any ordinary Intrepid-class starship. Seven years of modifications have turned it into a ship just as capable as any of ours.

Captain Koren would disagree with you. Running the FE as a Klingon, she refers to Voyager as a "broken down old relic". I think she also says it belongs in a museum, though that could also be a subtle reference to the Voyager finale.

Could just be Klingon bravado/bluntness, but I assume they wouldn't have written the dialogue like that unless there was some basis in fact.

/Overanalysis.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    But there is no single "novelverse" continuity; each author is free to accept or reject anything from the other novels that they choose, and they generally do. For instance, John Ford is the only author who used his unique take on the Klingons, and Duane's novels are the only place you'll find a Sulamid transporter officer.

However, ever since arguments over canon began (which, as I recall, was about ten minutes after the James Blish novel Spock Must Die! was published), the official statement has been that if it's been filmed it's canon, and anything else (novels, comics, fanfic, hieroglyphics found carved into a kilometer-high slab on the third moon of Gliese 151g, whatever) was "soft canon" at most. Yes, that means that "JJTrek" is canon, although taking place in a divergent universe with a somewhat different history. (I won't bore you with my treatise on why ENT should be considered a prequel to the Abrams movies...) And to my chagrin, that means Insurrection and Nemesis are canon, as well. Meanwhile, The Wounded Sky, despite its general excellence, is non-canon. Sucks, but there it is.

I agree. A lot of the novel stuff that I have read is pretty damned good and thoroughly deserves to be made canon. The problem is we can't just say all the novels etc are canon as quite a bit of it is contradictory and some of the stuff is just awful. Sadly, we can't just go picking and choosing which novels or comics to have as canon and which to disregard. We'd be here for the next millennium arguing over what to choose!

On a side note, I've never heard of the idea of Enterprise being a prequel for JJtrek.
    I need a beer.

• qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Captain Koren would disagree with you. Running the FE as a Klingon, she refers to Voyager as a "broken down old relic". I think she also says it belongs in a museum, though that could also be a subtle reference to the Voyager finale.

Could just be Klingon bravado/bluntness, but I assume they wouldn't have written the dialogue like that unless there was some basis in fact.

/Overanalysis.

That "relic" has a hull strength of like 133k. I wish my ship was a "relic". :D
    edited April 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    That "relic" has a hull strength of like 133k. I wish my ship was a "relic". :D

The benefits of equipping the [Console - Universal - Plot Armor Plating].