test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Death

heizlueftaheizluefta Member Posts: 167 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvP Gameplay
....anyone else feeling like "this game is dying ?" maybe even faster since S9 ?

I now tried to get season 9 done.....but......the conclusion: Its a ******n Moneymachine.....nothing else....

When will this game die ?

Why do we all stay here ?

I say: "**** PWE and just pay nothing more ! Just stop paying them !"

Let it die...

Let it go to "Val Halla" ! No more teaming, no more ships, no more trys, let it die......just let it die guys...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by heizluefta on

Comments

• Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pvp gameplay? with the cross faction pvp que, your going to have a hard time finding pvpers thinking the game is worse then it was before season 9, or declining at all.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sure, there are always people saying that. I have my doubts.

Of course, at some point, someone must be right..
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    After being over on ESO for the last week and a half I am pretty sure STO is like an ex girlfriend to me.

I logged in yesterday, or was it the day before, for about an hour and felt absolutely no compulsion or desire to play. I checked out the space battlezone, slotted a 20 hour project I still havent logged in to claim.

I sort of dont care anymore. The rep trait revamp was the last straw for me as far as constantly spending fortunes to retool builds every season or so. Max rep on 10 toons and then losing 3/4 of the passives earned absolutely pissed me off. Address powercreep elsewhere, you dont take away what has been ground out already.

Im just sick of it, it takes too ******ned much in this game just to pew pew.

Maybe me and the guys will show up at some point, but the last time I asked in teamspeak they were like "why?"

*shrug*

Meanwhile sitting in Cyrodiil at level 36 and killing vet level players is hysterical because level and gear is relatively meaningless in ESO, i mean there is a point where it will matter, like in supercharged ganksquads, but for the most part you pick up a trebuchet or hop on your horse and its game on.

You think a vaper is hysterical, wait til youve played an assassination specced nightblade.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, I've been there, too - considering logging into STO, and deciding against it.

It can happen to anyone, I think, and it's not neccessarily a sign of the game's death, just a sign that you no longer enjoy it.

I left before the Omega reputation was introduced in the first place. I came back 2 months or so ago, sitting on what seemed* like a neat pile of Zen from my lifetime subscription, and trying out all the stuff that was new to me. Several reputations, a few new missions, a new "sub"faction, fleet stuff.

I see it's still not well on the PvP front, no real additions, power creep and power imbalance, but there is new PvE content I can explore and fiddle around with and it's fun enough to sustain, and I am now logging in practically daily again, having already repped out most reps on one character. It looks to me the game is in good health, overall, complains about changes non-withstanding. The new featured episode seems pretty well done, the revamped episodes look really better than what I remember. A lot more voice over content, which implies a good budget, which in turn implies that they make good money, evne if it requires selling lockboxes with immersion-defying and possibly imbalanced non-faction ships.

*) Looking at triple-sized ship sets, fleet modules and what not, it doesn't seem so much anymore. :(
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I logged in yesterday, or was it the day before, for about an hour and felt absolutely no compulsion or desire to play....

Maybe me and the guys will show up at some point, but the last time I asked in teamspeak they were like "why?"

*shrug*

So what you're saying is....no more pug-stomping no more STO?
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skurf wrote: »

You wish, its more like STO PvP is garbage?

But you keep on prancing around like you think we ever "feared the almighty premade"

Fact is, we beat everyone except Inner Circle on a regular basis without any problem whatsoever when we were running full teams.

We had losses, sure, but that comes with the territory.

Fighting the same 20-30 people every single day got boring, sorry to tell you this. The only people that ever wanted "premade private matches" would duck us all damn day til they had "those five guys" on finally that seem to be the only five guys on the entire fricken game that can beat vice (those still playing that is, the best players I actually respected the most are long long gone back to bambooland)

But hey. Have fun with this thread, imma go pewpew on my new game while yall wait for hours in queues and stuff.

Toodles.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Things will only get really ugly once people get to T4 Undine rep and yet another round of [Adapt]-style resist stupidity.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Whatever this patch may have done for PvP. I am pretty sure it was to late.

The people that love PvP are almost all gone. Those left behind will hang around until they realize the people they enjoyed PvPing with are not coming back.

Crypitc had an opportunity... they had 4 years and some where in the in the region of 200 or so patch days to make the game something PvP players in general could admit they enjoyed playing.

As it is if you play any other PvP game you don't admit to spending crazy numbers of hours in STO. :)

I wish Cryptic well. They should always have a core of RP players and trek heads willing to give them money...

We as PvP lovers have to decide if we like Trek enough to still log in and PvE with the odd game of PvP thrown in for nostalgia. If the answer is yes then do like I do and keep the game installed and play for 1-2 hours a month here and there when you feel the urge.

What makes me more concerned for the future of STO isn't the PvP... that's dead and over put a fork in it already. What is the real issue for them is there lack of paid writers... really I can't even bring myself to do the featured episode. I know the writing is so bad its going to make me want to throw my computer screen. I can excuse there take on PvP... its an after thought, fine. Really though to think that these guys are the only real light for the IP at the moment makes me sad... they seem fine with leaving the writing to the janitorial staff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    Things will only get really ugly once people get to T4 Undine rep and yet another round of [Adapt]-style resist stupidity.

I find it really kind of trippy how that one's being overlooked in so many discussions out there...heck, even PO170 didn't mention it when they wrote off the CC Rep.
  • Options
    genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Comparing STO to ESO is very unfair. STO is a casual mmo for casual players.

The real thing that hurts STO more then anything imo is the lack of community play due to the lack of need for it. That's part of it being casual of course but casual doesn't mean you need to have no challenge.

In ESO while leveling you can expect to be killed, you sometimes need to do fights and see how they work and figure them out. Sometimes you have a need to ask for help doing quests with bosses that prove to be too hard for you at the moment. The dungeons are a challenge and you can expect to be killed. To need to work as a team to overcome them.

All of that is missing from STO. The real problem with season nine is that it's content that can be beaten in a day. You can beat the new missions, you can do the new episode, you can do it all day one. Tho that is what the game is about because they want it to be the casual mmo, they want you to log in have a bit of fun and go do something else. That's it's design and it works at that.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Really though to think that these guys are the only real light for the IP at the moment makes me sad...
    I like the current books. Destiny, Typhon Pact, The Fall. Compared to the current post-Nemesis book universe, Cryptic's 2409 storyline feels really awkward.

EDIT: It's not post-Nemesis, but if you haven't read it, read "Immortal Coil". I found this to be one of the best Trek books I've ever read. And it is kind of necessary to read it to fully understand the recent post-Nemesis Cold Equations books.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    I like the current books. Destiny, Typhon Pact, The Fall. Compared to the current post-Nemesis book universe, Cryptic's 2409 storyline feels really awkward.

EDIT: It's not post-Nemesis, but if you haven't read it, read "Immortal Coil". I found this to be one of the best Trek books I've ever read. And it is kind of necessary to read it to fully understand the recent post-Nemesis Cold Equations books.

Thanks for the tip. I read the destiny books they where good. I'll find myself a copy of Immortal coil. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Congrats on your upcoming child.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Agreed on the books. I've read almost every ST novel up till the beginning of the Typhon Pact series (A Singular Destiny) - haven't been able to get access to anything after that, though.

The newest books are a great read. I'm not one who can judge literary quality or anything, but they are enjoyable to me. Except for the Vesta - almost a Mary Sue, though I appreciate the ship itself.

The Gorkon series is a nice read too, as Klingon development, and Titan isn't too bad either.
  • Options
    l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The thing is after every season update we get the old line of "PvP is dead" well thats kinda true but not !

The changes affect people in different ways so to certain people PvP will now be dead due to the changes not fitting with some peoples play styles. I am sorry for you people that are moving on or going to play less, but PvP is certainly not dead.

After every update the PvP queues/chat always drop off due to people being busy doing the new content. I for one like the new changes and think its well overdue, some "OP" players are now mere mortals thanks to the change's. Me being a mediocre PvPer at best has not felt the changes to myself but I have felt the changes in other players, it just goes to show how OP having all those rep skills was.

Its a shame they added that 1v1 2v2 Queue because we have far to many e-peen braggers as it is, adding a specific queue for them was a mistake !

Overall so far so good and I am sorry PvP is dead to some people, please dont be strangers because having a laugh with your friends is worth far more than loosing sleep over pixel's.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty jazzed about trek right now.
    Building up a brand new Romulan.
    Enjoying season 9.
    Seeing very high activity everywhere despite the early days of instability at launch.
    Looks pretty strong to me.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    R.e the Vesta class, I don't know... whilst I don't disagree with you as such, I feel that it's more Dax's ship, the USS Aventine, that is the Mary-Sue - in fact, VERY much so. But as for the other ships in the class......

*Smacks forehead*

Yeah, I meant the Aventine. My mistake. It's been a while since I last read the book, and for some reason I got it in my head that it was the Vesta Dax was commanding.
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, it is sad that so many veterens already left the game.

But as awkward as for some of you it may sound, PVP is not dead at all. It's not over yet.

If you can letgo of the past, of how PVP was like back then, I believe one can still have a lot of fun in PVP.

Granted, the rise in FAW Scimitars, doff'd RSP feedback pulsing builds needs getting used to, but I'd argue PVP is not getting worse, but just different. If you can think in those terms, then you may enjoy pewing almost as much as in the good old days.
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited April 2014
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    The thing is after every season update we get the old line of "PvP is dead" well thats kinda true but not !

The changes affect people in different ways so to certain people PvP will now be dead due to the changes not fitting with some peoples play styles. I am sorry for you people that are moving on or going to play less, but PvP is certainly not dead.

After every update the PvP queues/chat always drop off due to people being busy doing the new content. I for one like the new changes and think its well overdue, some "OP" players are now mere mortals thanks to the change's. Me being a mediocre PvPer at best has not felt the changes to myself but I have felt the changes in other players, it just goes to show how OP having all those rep skills was.

Its a shame they added that 1v1 2v2 Queue because we have far to many e-peen braggers as it is, adding a specific queue for them was a mistake !

Overall so far so good and I am sorry PvP is dead to some people, please dont be strangers because having a laugh with your friends is worth far more than loosing sleep over pixel's.

Give it a couple of weeks, the "OP" players will data the parsers and figure things out and things will be back to business as usual for the most part. Right now folks are trying to play around the inefficient code int he game to maximize builds not to mention we do not know if cryptic borked something in the roll out. The usual QQ will comeback
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    buommanbuomman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't see STO dying...it is like people have been saying about WoW for years...the content starts thinning and SOME people lose interest and leave, but there are always new people coming into the game and the casual players that play a few times a week, since they play a few different games at a time. The game might not be as strong and fun as it used to be as in WoW's case, but people will still play. You have hard-core die hard fans that will never leave and like beforementioned, always getting a flux newbies and casual players, like myself looking for a new game to play. I think most casual gamers will at least play 6 months - 1 year before deciding to leave or stay longer. Yes, it is sad that content keeps thinning and many bugs go unchecked, but that's life in an MMO, they are all the same...out to make money and draw in new customers with the shiny new toy every new season or expansion, some are just a little better at fixing things and keeping MOST of the players satisfied.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ilhansk wrote: »
    Granted, the rise in FAW Scimitars, doff'd RSP feedback pulsing builds needs getting used to, but I'd argue PVP is not getting worse, but just different.
    If it was only about a metagame shift in builds and piloting, I'd agree. But the core problem that I see is that the game has shifted from "who has a good build and knows how to use it" to "who has the necessary equipment to even field a good build". In the old days, no matter how bad and annoying some fad was, one always had the option to simply copy that build and beat the offenders by exhibiting superior coordination and piloting. Nowadays, "simply copy their build" is not easily possible anymore because all too often the builds are locked away behind a grind and paywall.
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know what you mean, even when I started playing, it was still possible to do well on a RA ship equipped with blue MK XI gear.

Nowadays, one should try to maintain at least one toon to have high-end gear. The new reputation system reliefs players a bit from grinding, at least on that department, so I'd count that a step into the right direction in my book. There is still fun to be had in the game.
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ilhansk wrote: »
    I know what you mean, even when I started playing, it was still possible to do well on a RA ship equipped with blue MK XI gear.

Nowadays, one should try to maintain at least one toon to have high-end gear. The new reputation system reliefs players a bit from grinding, at least on that department, so I'd count that a step into the right direction in my book. There is still fun to be had in the game.

I agree. I would also like to add...Did you notice that there's not OP doffs in the Undine lockbox? In fact there's no unique Undine doffs at all like the last few lockboxes, just kit modules. That seems like another step in the right direction.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Saying that, I'm going to be spending a LOT less time on STO soon anyway - with my wife being 22-weeks pregnant at the time of this post, my priorties are soon going to lay elsewhere.

May your new child bring glory and honor to your house. Oh, and crush the head of your enemies beneath his/her/their feet.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    l30p4rd wrote: »

l30p4rd
    There is no 1v1 2v2 Queue. Please refer to this post.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    heizluefta wrote: »
    ....anyone else feeling like "this game is dying ?" maybe even faster since S9 ?

No. I've never seen the PvP queues so full.
    skurf wrote: »

Quoted for truth.

I've just spent the last 4 hours in the new PvP queue and I'm loving it! All of the games have been relatively balanced both team and score wise, there has only been 1 cheese merchant so far and because he was alone it was easy to shrug off! I'm sure I'll run into a game that will be unbalanced or have more than one cheese monkey in it but if a relatively balanced game happens more often then not then colour me happy!

Quite frankly, I'd be glad if all the pug stompers go play ESO or whatever the latest flavour of the month is. STO needs a new breed of PvP who don't rely on exploits and have better sportsmanship.

Good times my friends, good times :)
  • Options
    mindsharpmindsharp Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Lol now I kinda feel silly. I was very sure the 2 man team was going to ruin pug matches.

Damn, hate it when I'm wrong.:P

I was pretty sure the Team Queue would be dead, but Ive had plenty of matches so far. Some have been pugs but they are better than the average, I think mostly the more confident peeps will queue for it.
    Karrock/Karreck/Darth Karrock/Unspoken
    House of Beautiful Orions
    PUNISH THE FEDs
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    PVP has been great, the premade queue pops fast and is more fun then before since you don't run into weak pug groups as much anymore. I guess it could be "dying" for people that only like to pugstomp with their premades, or people that liked hiding in FvF, but not for us.

Haven't been able to get interested in many of the games I hear other PVPers playing lately, none of them are space.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions