test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

hardwear needed for sto...

skollulfrskollulfr Member Posts: 5,407 Arc User
decent as my pc is, or, was, its now showing its age.
my fps dropping to ~15/20 when fights start to hit the 70 player mark in ps2 with low settings, similar fps for dyson ground in sto if i have the gfx settings past moderate.
+ with games like watchdogs coming out i want a computer that will let me enjoy those too, prompting a planned rebuild.

so what hardware am i looking at if i want to keep 45fps minimum in sto with the gfx settings set to max?
i can tell clearly the recommended specs on cyri are... if not under-sold, then very out of date. imo, the current "recommended" specs there may be close to being minimum now.(without hitting the half reso option)
startrek online - to seek out new life, and seduce or kill it.
heh heh
Post edited by skollulfr on

Comments

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    my fps dropping to ~15/20 when fights start to hit the 70 player mark in ps2 with low settings, similar fps for dyson ground in sto if i have the gfx settings past moderate.
    + with games like watchdogs coming out i want a computer that will let me enjoy those too, prompting a planned rebuild.

so what hardware am i looking at if i want to keep 45fps minimum in sto with the gfx settings set to max?
    i can tell clearly the recommended specs on cyri are... if not under-sold, then very out of date. imo, the current "recommended" specs there may be close to being minimum now.(without hitting the half reso option)

I think the real question is more about, how much money do you have to dish out on a computer?

If you want virtually ever game you could possibly ever play to stay 45fps steady, you could be spending quite a bit of cash.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That is a bit huge problem. If you want a pc to be able to play the next "next generation" games, you will have to spent A LOT of money. Think on a high quantity, and double it.

The next generation games will require some pc requirements that will make the games now feel really stupid. Think about 8gb video card memory minimum, 16 gb ram, and things like that.

Now, with the actual games, even a 650ti videocard will run most of em at 40+ fps. With about 700-800€ you can adquire a really good gamer pc. Thats the ammount of money i spent in my pc almost a few months ago (im not really a gamer, but i just wanted a decent pc to run everything with no problems), and i can play everything at 45-50 fps all the time. Name a game, and my pc can run it with no problems. Of course STO is not an exception. STO doesnt require too much pc, the problem is , it is not really optimized, and with some system configurations can be a pain in the aaax.
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If your looking to play the latest and greatest games at your specified frame rate, you'll need a minimum of a 3gb dedicated video card, or a pair of 2gb cards running crossfire/sli mode. AMD and Nvidia mid-grade cards can do this. Intel requires a higher end, but this is usually limited to APU's and Laptops with an Intel processor.

A multi-core processor, 16gb (this is becoming standard for most decent rigs), and at least a 7200+rpm drive will also help boost performance to keep your frame rate up.

Lastly, keep your machine clean, and I don't mean just the dust bunnies that electronics attract. Run a cleaner program to get rid of files that bog down your transfer rates and clean/fix registry errors (ccleaner from piriform.com is a good, free program capable of this). And don't forget to Defrag the drive as well.

All this depends on how much you're willing to let out of your wallet.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If your looking to play the latest and greatest games at your specified frame rate, you'll need a minimum of a 3gb dedicated video card, or a pair of 2gb cards running crossfire/sli mode. AMD and Nvidia mid-grade cards can do this. Intel requires a higher end, but this is usually limited to APU's and Laptops with an Intel processor.

A multi-core processor, 16gb (this is becoming standard for most decent rigs), and at least a 7200+rpm drive will also help boost performance to keep your frame rate up.

Lastly, keep your machine clean, and I don't mean just the dust bunnies that electronics attract. Run a cleaner program to get rid of files that bog down your transfer rates and clean/fix registry errors (ccleaner from piriform.com is a good, free program capable of this). And don't forget to Defrag the drive as well.

All this depends on how much you're willing to let out of your wallet.

that depends. if the bus is only 256 then the gain is negligible. if it's 512 then the additional memory comes into play
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Moved to PC and Tech issues as this is more about computer needs than a general topic about STO.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I recommend you actually post your question in a hardware forum like Tomshardware. It is a hardware enthusiast site and I am one of the moderators (I use the same username).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/

Generally speaking, the parts you should buy will depend on your overall budget. Low budget generally means you should go with an AMD CPU, but if you have a decent budget, then Intel CPUs are generally the way to go since they generally perform better in game benchmarks. "Better" is relative though and largely depends on how CPU dependent the game is. Bioshock Infinite is a game that does not care how powerful or weak the CPU is a long as it does not bottleneck the GPU (graphics card). Assuming the same graphics card, the difference in performance between a Core i5-4670k unclocked to 2.5GHz vs. overclocked to 4.5GHz is around 2 FPS. On the other hand, Hitman: Absolution is a fairly decent CPU dependent game. The difference between an AMD FX-8350 and i5-4670k both at stock speed may only be 50 FPS vs 55 FPS (depending on the specific GPU). Lastly, a game like Skyrim overwhelmingly favors Intel CPUs. The difference in performance between a FX-8150 and a Core i5-2500k (the game was released in 2010) is around 25% - 30% in favor of Intel. Both used the same GPU and the CPU was running at stock speed.

Most online games at most uses only 2 two CPU cores. However, most forum members (including myself) would recommend something like a 6 core FX-6300 vs dual core i3-4330. Both are somewhat close in price. Each CPU core in the i3 CPU is more powerful than each CPU core in the FX-6300, so games using only one or two cores will run better with the Core i3, but games that can make use of at least 3 core, will likely run just as well or better with the FX-6300.

Members of that forum will provide you will specific parts to buy that best suits your budget or try to stay close to it as possible.

At least on paper Watch Dog does not seem to be overly demanding since the minimum specs includes a quad core AMD / Intel CPU from 2008. Therefore, something like a FX-8350 or i5-4670k should easily handle the game. The question though is how much GPU performance you will need if you max out all the graphics settings. It seems the nVidia GTX 780 or Radeon R9 290 are recommended for ultra settings. I think those cards generally sell for around $550 - $650 so if you wanna max out graphic settings in that game it seems you need to spend a good chunk of change.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited April 2014
    initially im going to keep the 560 card im running since thats doing ok as is.

problem is, the rest of the system is socket 775 and as much as i can get a 4ghz stable oc on it, it still leavs me limited to low/moderate gfx if i dont want to see a slideshow. kinda at the end of its upgrade capacity too.:((something gets screwy if i add more memory or a better cpu, leaving my current e7300/4gb spec as the practical peak)

last i tried toms i found it can be a bit ott with the suggestions at times. + they would be less likely to have sto specific "this is my set up, and this is my experience" type information.

this game doesnt require a lot of cpu power.

if you dont already have, you can upgrade your pc to a Q9700 quad core core2.
    if you can, put another 560 in sli and you would be set..

you could probably play most last years modern games on high settings with that setup.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    initially im going to keep the 560 card im running since thats doing ok as is.

problem is, the rest of the system is socket 775 and as much as i can get a 4ghz stable oc on it, it still leavs me limited to low/moderate gfx if i dont want to see a slideshow. kinda at the end of its upgrade capacity too.:((something gets screwy if i add more memory or a better cpu, leaving my current e7300/4gb spec as the practical peak)

last i tried toms i found it can be a bit ott with the suggestions at times. + they would be less likely to have sto specific "this is my set up, and this is my experience" type information.

this game doesnt require a lot of cpu power.

if you dont already have, you can upgrade your pc to a Q9700 quad core core2.
    if you can, put another 560 in sli and you would be set..

you could probably play most last years modern games on high settings with that setup.

also, with your issues that you said you are having.. get a better psu..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    except, like i said, and you just quoted, thats not possible... the motherboard is too old. not to mention i could rebuild most of my system for the cost of a q97xx chip.:rolleyes:
    nor applicable to what i am seeing. especially in dyson where fps hits the teens & low 20s if the gfx settings go past medium.

also, this upgrad is not specific to sto either...

my setup is an i7 920 with 6gb ram and 2 7870XT video cards in crossfire..

it runs this game at 100+ fps constant.. with no drop.

you can probably get an i5 computer on craigslist for under 400$ if you are in the states.
  • Options
    dvroccdvrocc Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    To keep the 45+fps you are seeking in STO you will at least have to upgrade the video card (GPU) you will need at least a Geforce 660+ or Radeon HD 7770 (roughly) and no you DON"T need two $3,000 titan graphics cards to have STO at max I am sure there is a troll around here some where looking to post that! Anyway, STO doesn't need a huge amount of horsepower to make it look smexy, I myself am running a XFX Radeon HD 5750 1gb on max settings hoovering about 45ish FPS.

There is several ways to go about upgrading but before we do that what is your current specs? you may or may not have the option to upgrade so your current stats will help.