Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #7: Kit Revamp

12346»

Comments

• Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, since these are now modular Kit Frames, that can hold individual mods...

...can we load up two or three Kit Frames and swap them out? Because if I have to re-slot every single power, it actually takes us farther from that "tool for every job" idea in the post. At least now, one item swap changes all the powers--if it's going to have to be thirty or so clicks, no one will swap once they find their favorite.

Just please tell me that it's not set up so you can't remove a frame with any mods slotted, or that swapping to a frame with the same/more mod slots doesn't dump them all out into inventory. There needs to be some sort of layout save/load for these.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    senselocke wrote: »
    So, since these are now modular Kit Frames, that can hold individual mods...

...can we load up two or three Kit Frames and swap them out? Because if I have to re-slot every single power, it actually takes us farther from that "tool for every job" idea in the post. At least now, one item swap changes all the powers--if it's going to have to be thirty or so clicks, no one will swap once they find their favorite.

Just please tell me that it's not set up so you can't remove a frame with any mods slotted, or that swapping to a frame with the same/more mod slots doesn't dump them all out into inventory. There needs to be some sort of layout save/load for these.

You can still do that, yes. You can only edit the modules when the kit is equipped, but once the modules are in place you can move the kit frame back to your inventory and the modules will remain attached to it.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is the place to trade in the old ones in a fleet location or is there supposed to be one in another area?

And will the fleet ones be the only ones that can be converted?

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    cariatide2cariatide2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i really like it but pls dont take the old one, keep them too :D
    as i cant find the old ones in the dilithium store :(
    just my opinion :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    cariatide2 wrote: »
    i really like it but pls dont take the old one, keep them too :D
    as i cant find the old ones in the dilithium store :(
    just my opinion :D

The old ones can no longer be bought from vendors, or found in loot drops. But there will still be hundreds of them available via the exchange as they haven't been removed from the game.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm really torn on the kit revamp.

On one hand, I like the idea of them for my lvl 50 Captains. Being able to pick and choose (within limits of course) allows a lot of flexibility.

On the other hand, new characters starting out seem to be getting the shaft. It used to be that when you started out you got a basic kit that gave you a career specific power. Now after S9 you get a kit frame but no mod to use. So you have one less ability than before.

Also prior to S9 I could head to a vendor and by a new kit if I wanted different abilities. Now I buy a new frame but need to rely on random drops in order to get mods. Why aren't mods being sold by vendors? Whose bright idea was this? Relying on the RNG for something that was previously easy enough to get, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

The "simplest" solution I can see is that kit mods should be put up for sale from the same vendors that sell the kit frames. Keep them common rarity so that folks just starting out can get their hands on SOMETHING specific, while leaving the door open for improvement by getting green/blue/purple mods down the line.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I'm really torn on the kit revamp.

On one hand, I like the idea of them for my lvl 50 Captains. Being able to pick and choose (within limits of course) allows a lot of flexibility.

On the other hand, new characters starting out seem to be getting the shaft. It used to be that when you started out you got a basic kit that gave you a career specific power. Now after S9 you get a kit frame but no mod to use. So you have one less ability than before.

Also prior to S9 I could head to a vendor and by a new kit if I wanted different abilities. Now I buy a new frame but need to rely on random drops in order to get mods. Why aren't mods being sold by vendors? Whose bright idea was this? Relying on the RNG for something that was previously easy enough to get, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

The "simplest" solution I can see is that kit mods should be put up for sale from the same vendors that sell the kit frames. Keep them common rarity so that folks just starting out can get their hands on SOMETHING specific, while leaving the door open for improvement by getting green/blue/purple mods down the line.

Yeah, I'm still not sure if the lack of modules at vendors is a bug or not. It's been stated in patch notes on Tribble and Holodeck that modules can be purchased from vendors in common, uncommon, and rare varieties... though that doesn't actually seem to be the case.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited April 2014
    Modules can be purchased from the dilithium vendor around 100 dilith at low end to 5k dilith for a Mk IX rare module.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kermanikermani Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If the devs, community guys ever look in here, I think it's rather plain we need a simple bare bones guide to the new kits. So many basic questions.

'Cmon y'all if your are going change something this big at least tell us how it works.

If I'm missing a direct guide please abuse me and post a link to it.

• Options
    nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As nice an idea as the kit revamp is, I'm honestly not motivated at all to switch from the preexisting Physicist kit I'm using already. Aside from not finding all of the modules to recreate it with yet, I just don't see the benefit. Is there a benefit I'm missing here?
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nyx219 wrote: »
    As nice an idea as the kit revamp is, I'm honestly not motivated at all to switch from the preexisting Physicist kit I'm using already. Aside from not finding all of the modules to recreate it with yet, I just don't see the benefit. Is there a benefit I'm missing here?

One thing I have seen is the purple framworks all seem to have additional bonus's associated with them that are not on the old kits. And with purples you can have 5 powers slotted. instead of just 4 from the old kits I came accross.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    kermanikermani Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    One thing I have seen is the purple framworks all seem to have additional bonus's associated with them that are not on the old kits. And with purples you can have 5 powers slotted. instead of just 4 from the old kits I came accross.

Can i ask where are you coming accross purples?
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kermani wrote: »
    Can i ask where are you coming accross purples?

Sure....

:)

I have got them from current FE, Surface Tension, and I got one as drop from an Elite Viscous Fluid run. I am under the impression that you can get purples from the fleet too. But have not checked yet.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kermani wrote: »
    If the devs, community guys ever look in here, I think it's rather plain we need a simple bare bones guide to the new kits. So many basic questions.

'Cmon y'all if your are going change something this big at least tell us how it works.

If I'm missing a direct guide please abuse me and post a link to it.

^This

I have no idea where to get MK X Frames. are XI/XII Frames only available via Lock-Box, Reputation and mission drops?

The Dev Blog should have been a bit clearer on that. :o
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Rule one about the Kit Revamp:
    Your pre-Season 9 Kits are still fully functional. If you were satisfied with your old kit, keep it. The new kits may have potential to be better, but there is no *need* to invest in one.

That being said, the new system does offer customization (you choose the powers on your kit), versatility (powers can be swapped in/out of a frame as desired), and the possibility for some improvement over the old kits (more/stronger powers, skill buffs, etc). But you're going to pay for it (in one way or another).

Where to get Kit Frames:
    The easiest and overall cheapest investment in getting a good Kit Frame is from the Exchange. Right now there are zillions of Lockbox Kit Frames on there for very little EC (the last time I looked you can get a nice purple Mk XII Frame for only ~50k EC).

Search the Exchange under "Kits" (Do not use the rarity filter. Selecting Common-Very Rare is broken right now):
    Fluidic Engineering Kit Mk XII
    Fluidic Tactical Kit Mk XII
    Fluidic Science Kit Mk XII

Once you see what's available, you can refine your search for specific mods.

Also, the new FE: Surface Tension offers a good Kit Frame (though, they are geared for fighting Undine, the Fluidic ones above I think have better mod options).

The best Kit Frames are in the Fleet Embassy/Spire stores.

Where to get Modules:
    As for the Modules to put in your Frames, you can get them from drops (in ground combat), the Dilithium store, the Undine Lockbox, Fleet Embassy/Spire stores, the mission: Assimilation, and the Undine Rep. The cheapest place to get them, is the Exchange. Search the "All" category (again, don't use rarity) for the word "Kit Module" and refine your search from there.

There's a good discussion going on here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1092681

And starting in post 26 I link to a notes/spreadsheet I made and detail some of my experimentation.

If you have any questions, ask away, and I'll try to answer them.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Rule one about the Kit Revamp:
    Your pre-Season 9 Kits are still fully functional. If you were satisfied with your old kit, keep it. The new kits may have potential to be better, but there is no *need* to invest in one.

That being said, the new system does offer customization (you choose the powers on your kit), versatility (powers can be swapped in/out of a frame as desired), and the possibility for some improvement over the old kits (more/stronger powers, skill buffs, etc). But you're going to pay for it (in one way or another).

Where to get Kit Frames:
    The easiest and overall cheapest investment in getting a good Kit Frame is from the Exchange. Right now there are zillions of Lockbox Kit Frames on there for very little EC (the last time I looked you can get a nice purple Mk XII Frame for only ~50k EC).

Search the Exchange under "Kits" (Do not use the rarity filter. Selecting Common-Very Rare is broken right now):
    Fluidic Engineering Kit Mk XII
    Fluidic Tactical Kit Mk XII
    Fluidic Science Kit Mk XII

Once you see what's available, you can refine your search for specific mods.

Also, the new FE: Surface Tension offers a good Kit Frame (though, they are geared for fighting Undine, the Fluidic ones above I think have better mod options).

The best Kit Frames are in the Fleet Embassy/Spire stores.

Where to get Modules:
    As for the Modules to put in your Frames, you can get them from drops (in ground combat), the Dilithium store, the Undine Lockbox, Fleet Embassy/Spire stores, and the Undine Rep. The cheapest place to get them, is the Exchange. Search the "All" category (again, don't use rarity) for the word "Kit Module" and refine your search from there.

There's a good discussion going on here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1092681

And starting in post 26 I link to a notes/spreadsheet I made and detail some of my experimentation.

If you have any questions, ask away, and I'll try to answer them.

My love today goes out to you :o
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My love today goes out to you :o
    Yay! Love for me. Thanks (and you're welcome). :)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.