sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    What have they taken away recently?
    Incoming reputation power revamp reply. :P
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't see much wrong with that. What's your method for tiering kit powers, though?

Are we losing the tiers they have now?

Currently you can get a phaser turret mk 1 through 4, each one a little more powerful than the last.

What I was suggesting is the idea that the Mk1 versions be slottable by any carrer, but marks 2-4 are career specific.

Thus, an engineer with a four power kit frame, could slot phaser turret IV, Quantum mortar IV, mine field IV and, because they felt the need to be able to, photon grenade I.

A tactical officer might take Stealth IV, photon grenade IV, lunge IV and, because they keep getting killed, medical tricorder 1.

Some scientist might take medical tricorder IV but decide to also bring photon grenade 1, medical generator 1 and mine field 1.

And so on.

Edited to add: just saw some other replies to the thread and realised this is just a different approach to making a slot universal.
    Instead of applying the universal aspect to the slot, it applies it to tier 1 powers as a general case

Further edited, on additional reflection though, isn't my approach better because it builds in a basic safeguard against power creep by making the universiality limited to tier 1?
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Fantastic!

So this was created to additionally make crafting relevant again as well . . . right?

I CAN craft purple MK XII 'frames' and 'moduals' . . . right? Or was that even considered?

Nope. It was stated by a dev that we won't be able to craft kits anymore, at least for now. They found no point in adding in the new kits and modules when they are planning on eventually revamping the crafting system.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=15624331#post15624331

So the answer is no. At least not for season 9 launch.

Thank you for that.
    rinkster wrote: »
    Are we losing the tiers they have now?

Currently you can get a phaser turret mk 1 through 4, each one a little more powerful than the last.

What I was suggesting is the idea that the Mk1 versions be slottable by any carrer, but marks 2-4 are career specific.

Thus, an engineer with a four power kit frame, could slot phaser turret IV, Quantum mortar IV, mine field IV and, because they felt the need to be able to, photon grenade I.

A tactical officer might take Stealth IV, photon grenade IV, lunge IV and, because they keep getting killed, medical tricorder 1.

Some scientist might take medical tricorder IV but decide to also bring photon grenade 1, medical generator 1 and mine field 1.

And so on.

Edited to add: just saw some other replies to the thread and realised this is just a different approach to making a slot universal.
    Instead of applying the universal aspect to the slot, it applies it to tier 1 powers as a general case

When I read your post, I got confused because I was also considering how boff powers are treated. Universal level 1 powers would be very... radical.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm hoping this doesn't end up as another fleetfest with only Tier 5 Fleets having the best kits.

I currently have the best kit for my play style.

As long as the new system doesn't nerf that capability I will be fine.

However Cryptic's track record supports a bigger chance of a nerf than a buff to the system.

Universal Truth: " Change is Bad, Always."
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thank you for that.

When I read your post, I got confused because I was also considering how boff powers are treated. Universal level 1 powers would be very... radical.

ooh, agreed.

Wasn't thinking the universal aspect would carry over into boff skills.

Saw it as strictly to do with your main toons kit powers.

Perhaps it is an attribute of the frame after all.

Each slot in the frame will, apparently, be career (one of two aspects, occasionally both) specific.

So, to make this work, each slot would need a touch of a universal aspect, being capable of slotting any power in its assigned group at tiers 2 to 4, or any tier 1 power regardless of group.

However, boffs need to stay career specific, in my view. It's a very reasonable game mechanic.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    While I really like this change, have they determined the price for the modules? During testing, i found the test modules in the Dilithium store to be way over priced, and when my fleet unlocked the pet store, the ship pets were insanely so. I really don't want to have to pay too much just to get the gear I need to stay at my current level.

Will the fleet power modules be any different than the ones found elsewhere? will the fleets be the only place to get MK 4/5 kit powers? Will kit powers come in common, rare, and ultra rare?

Also, i was surprised that there was no mention of adding the kit and armor parts to the tailor. Was this still being done? Where they fixing the color pallette issues? Were they going to add more visuals for the Klingons and Romulans? I feel that this would be beneficial to everyone, as well as adding possible new visual parts to later kits and armor additions. Also, it would be nice to get a single Armor slot, that would allow us to mix and match visuals with the Maco, Omega, and voth armors as well. The Maco armor would look awesome with one of the muscle looking basics as it's undersuit. It would also be nice to add the EV suits to the tailor as well, so we could use our armor or maco suits as the EV suits as well. Maybe give the armor slot a helmet on/off option, so we can toggle the armor in combat with or without the helmet, but if going without, toggling the EV suit on would add the helmet to the suit.

There is a lot of potential in the visual customizations of the kit/armor slot, so i hope we get to see Cryptic utilize it properly.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So when are the Shard of Possibilities and Ophidian Cane being converted to the new kit system? Or are they being converted upon release of Season 9?
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    velqua wrote: »
    So when are the Shard of Possibilities and Ophidian Cane being converted to the new kit system? Or are they being converted upon release of Season 9?

They are not. At all. Confirmed repeatedly in the tribble forums. The idea was bounced around and then the decided that it was too radical a change to make.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    dathranselanedathranselane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I hope the universal slot is a long way off, because the chroniton mine spam would crash every ground instance in the game.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm hoping this doesn't end up as another fleetfest with only Tier 5 Fleets having the best kits.

I currently have the best kit for my play style.

As long as the new system doesn't nerf that capability I will be fine.

However Cryptic's track record supports a bigger chance of a nerf than a buff to the system.

Universal Truth: " Change is Bad, Always."

It is almost guaranteed that this is being done for monetization. I expect to see Cryptic put special power modules etc in lockboxes, because powercreep is okay so long as it makes them money. :rolleyes: ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's all gonna be for nothing if you don't sort out the existing game bugs before releasing another season...

BUT you won't because you NEVER listen....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    BUT you won't because you NEVER listen....

"Cryptic never listens" is the biggest outright lie anyone has ever told on these forums.
  • Options
    wry1wry1 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    I'm at work and can't spend much time reading completely so had to skim.

But you had time to post?
  • Options
    devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, if you like your kit, you can keep your kit?
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    "Cryptic never listens" is the biggest outright lie anyone has ever told on these forums.

That may be so ... , but it's also true that that half truths are the worst kind of lie .

So when they keep advertising that making things worse for the player as an improvement (see : daily Marks Bonus nerf , Reputation powers nerf , Galaxy Class "revamp" , Arc , "Forum upgrades" (we had better forum functionality under Atari ...) -- and the list just goes on and on ... , well let's just say that when it comes to lying ... we're not the ones that are taking the proverbial pastry . :cool:

... so I think you can holster that "is the biggest outright lie anyone has ever told on these forums" statement ...
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The STO forums, where some can whine about literally anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    For those of us who play ground, (and before you give a smart remark, there is a sizable portion of the player base that play and like ground. ) I think the kits are one of the two most desired game changers. (The other being splitting of ground and space skill tree)

I remember the days of being able to switch kits on CGE run in drop Mortars and switch to a mine kit and just do nasty damage. The fleet kits were a step in the right direction, now the framework is better.
    I'm hoping there will be wholesale load outs like in our ships. As an engineer in a fight have my turret kit in HGE now as we enter Queen room I could switch to a defensive load that has shields and generators and have the doffs switch as well. Heck I'd even love it if our weapons and armor load out could switch t0o.

My last two cents, is about improving ground all together. If Cryptic cross embedded rewards so people had to play ground to get great space gear and vice versa and combined that with a split skill tree then I think the whole game would benefit not just one aspect like Space over Ground. Two main reason many people don't like ground is 1) disparity of EC in loot. One shield drop in space can equate to all the ec your combined loot would get in a ground run. 2) the time/reward equation. ground takes more time for often less reward.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cryptic uses selective listening. When enough people complain, Cryptic will suddenly have a sale. Its called diversion. In order to get people to forget about the negative, Cryptic will give out items that no longer sell. Cryptic will use a sale to divert your attention away from the unpopular changes.

*shows you my right hand while my left takes your wallet*
  • Options
    endorfinatorendorfinator Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would like it if higher tier kit frames could have one universal slot, from any career path. Lock it down with lower level of the power but allow it anyway. It makes sense for Starfleet, the KDF, or the RR to have some basic cross training. An engineer who specializes in blowing stuff up should be able to have mines, bombs, turrets, and a grenade( it doesn't take much to use one of those). A science medic might want to use a Cover shield when they are trying to heal a comrade, and a tactical officer should be able to gas to distract his enemies prior to an attack.

Another thing that I think would be cool would be special kit powers. Like a distinctly themed drone for Engineers, such as a weaker Swarmer from the Dyson Rep, or from the Romulan Rep something Elachi like, or from the Omega rep something like the Borg walker from the mission Mind Game. Or the drones used by the Tholians for the Nukara rep. I think that themed and specialized powers like this could help get the new kits of to a strong start.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    devencombs wrote: »
    So, if you like your kit, you can keep your kit?

The answer is yes. The dev blog even says so. You can keep your old kit and use it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I would like it if higher tier kit frames could have one universal slot, from any career path. Lock it down with lower level of the power but allow it anyway. It makes sense for Starfleet, the KDF, or the RR to have some basic cross training. An engineer who specializes in blowing stuff up should be able to have mines, bombs, turrets, and a grenade( it doesn't take much to use one of those). A science medic might want to use a Cover shield when they are trying to heal a comrade, and a tactical officer should be able to gas to distract his enemies prior to an attack.

Another thing that I think would be cool would be special kit powers. Like a distinctly themed drone for Engineers, such as a weaker Swarmer from the Dyson Rep, or from the Romulan Rep something Elachi like, or from the Omega rep something like the Borg walker from the mission Mind Game. Or the drones used by the Tholians for the Nukara rep. I think that themed and specialized powers like this could help get the new kits of to a strong start.

First half: Seconded. I just want a stealth module for my engineer, none of the set armor set bonuses do it too well.

Second half: Funny you mention that, I was just looking at screenshots from the new undine rep on the tribble part of the servers. There's at least 3 reputation kit powers already. Biomolecular photon grenade, Nanite sonic pulse, and Nanite med generator. All 3 are provided by the rep and anti-undine themed.

I doubt they're gonna go back and add ones to existing reps, they already said they didn't have time to add warp cores to the old rep sets for season 9, and that's a third as many new items as adding rep skill modules would be... As much as I would love to see both happen. We can definitely expect fleet skills.

I will always be disappointed I never got a swarmer ground pet or fleet reinforcement asset. </3. But then again, when they dropped the voth dev blogs, I wanted to fly a bastion and wanted voth boffs and doffs, and I got all that. 3/4 ain't bad.
  • Options
    insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Soooooooo, when is this coming?
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This will prove useful. Looking forward to getting them for my Captains. And I will keep the old ones as well.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I heard rumor that there won't be "4/0" kits, you know, 4 medic no research slot kits. Is this still going to be true? Aren't current medic kits built on this principle (4/0) currently?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    First half: Seconded. I just want a stealth module for my engineer, none of the set armor set bonuses do it too well.

Second half: Funny you mention that, I was just looking at screenshots from the new undine rep on the tribble part of the servers. There's at least 3 reputation kit powers already. Biomolecular photon grenade, Nanite sonic pulse, and Nanite med generator. All 3 are provided by the rep and anti-undine themed.

I doubt they're gonna go back and add ones to existing reps, they already said they didn't have time to add warp cores to the old rep sets for season 9, and that's a third as many new items as adding rep skill modules would be... As much as I would love to see both happen. We can definitely expect fleet skills.

I will always be disappointed I never got a swarmer ground pet or fleet reinforcement asset. </3. But then again, when they dropped the voth dev blogs, I wanted to fly a bastion and wanted voth boffs and doffs, and I got all that. 3/4 ain't bad.

Here is the thing, while it would be cool to have an engineer with stealth you can't use that as a criteria for game changes. The one problem of cross profession powers is does it negate what the class does. If a tac could take a heal or tachyon harmonics would that make a sci superfluous? For that reason, without deference to any profession I'm against cross class powers in kits.
    Another way to look about is would you be ok with a Tac in space having access to Miracle Worker or sub nuke ?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    wry1 wrote: »
    Here is the thing, while it would be cool to have an engineer with stealth you can't use that as a criteria for game changes. The one problem of cross profession powers is does it negate what the class does. If a tac could take a heal or tachyon harmonics would that make a sci superfluous? For that reason, without deference to any profession I'm against cross class powers in kits.
    Another way to look about is would you be ok with a Tac in space having access to Miracle Worker or sub nuke ?

Well, there's another another way of looking at it too.

Think of a class based FPS.

Each class has its own kit, their own specialities.......but they'll all have a knife and a side arm.

And, i think, thats where the universal idea can work.

Keep the universal side of things low powered, and it works.
  • Options
    nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I suspect this was only changed so you can "sell" new abilities via lockboxes/reps and so on.

+1. Lockbox kit powers anyone?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    wry1 wrote: »

I presented 3 possible compensations for this in 2 posts earlier in this thread. Those would all be varying levels of effective at balancing this in a pvp scenario, and I'm sure professional game designers could think of many, better alternatives that I could not.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    That is just an added bonus for them, they've been talking about a kit revamp for a couple years now.

They've been talking about changing kits since before lockboxes existed. :P