What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #7: Kit Revamp

Comments

• Options
    zerkon1zerkon1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's really nice to see they spend all this time fixing up earth troll dock and fixing something that wasn't broken (kits). Meanwhile there are still lots of little things the federation side has that the kdf and romulans don't.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Request for Devs:

Please advise us that:

1. There will be a 4/0 science-medic frame to allow reproduction of the current Medic kit line.
    2. At least one of the heals currently on the medic kit is actually being slotted as a research power so that it will fit in a 3/1 frame, and still reproduce the existing medic kit.
    3. The current medic kit is considered OP, in which why did you release an even more powerful fleet version just last fall with the Sphere kit shop?
    4. Other existing kits cannot be reproduced as well with a "stock" 4 slot frame because of the powers separation.

Not wanting to scream "yet another science nerf" until I see the nerf in the works... :)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cryptic,

This sounds like a great idea!;) I was very glad to hear abut the trade in program, as I just updated several of my characters with new (now old) fleet kits. So, all and all, I would give 10/10 for the theory of this new kit rebuild.

On the other hand, the one aspect I am concerned about, is the reputation rebuild.:( With only being able to have 4 active space abilities, and 4 active ground abilities. If it is to function similar to the current captain trait abilities, I would suggest that all 8-12 boxes are made generic, so that you can put either ground or space abilities into them. That way, similar to the current trait system, you can focus on space, ground, or both. I suggest this, as some captains prefer to play heavily one side, while others both. For the former, having set ground/space abilities leaves less customization, as those 4 slots they never use. Yes, this does mean then a captain that has all 8-12 slots of one kind might be a little more powerful, but to be fair, captain Kirk's "reputation" was known throughout the galaxy for a reason, more then the next cadet…because the enterprise was lethal! That said, non of the abilities give that much of an advantage, however for game play, it would be fun to be able to use more passive abilities, for the game style you choose to play, which is the greatest part of STO!

Thanks for listening,
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "One important note about this new slotting system: older Kits rarely contained a full suite of Rank III powers, but new Kits can be filled with all Very Rare (equivalent in power to Rank III) Modules. This means players who participate in the new Kit system will slowly overtake the power level they had reached with previously existing Kits, as they fill out their Modules with better quality powers."

I think once people have caught up with the modules, I can't see why people would stick to the old ones tbh.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    of course I just spent fleet credits and dilithium over the week end buying new kits... never fails.. anytime I buy something they change a few a days later....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    zerkon1 wrote: »
    It's really nice to see they spend all this time fixing up earth troll dock and fixing something that wasn't broken (kits). Meanwhile there are still lots of little things the federation side has that the kdf and romulans don't.

yeah, my perspective is they spend 2/3s of their time "revamping". That's why I quit the game in the first place before FTP... more or less a year of them just re doing missions only new players would ever do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The ground armor and kit visuals are now tailor uniform options and fully customizable. You have a large quantity of suit tops, bottoms, and all kinds of various kit visuals to mix and match. If you want a science kit wrist attachment and a security kit chest guard, you can. :D

Also bridge officers have access to armor and kit visuals at the tailor but they are very limited, for example, only type 1 and 2 each for alpha, beta, and omega tops and pants instead of all 3 variations of each. They also don't have access to any kit chest gear and are limited on the arm and wrist attachments. But it's better than nothing.

And get this!: KDF and Romulan faction characters also have access to them at the tailor also. They are all exactly the same tops, pants, and kit parts that feds get, but it's better than nothing. For the longest time players complained about KDF not having armor and kit visuals, and then romulans when LoR launched. Well now you have it. :)

Edit: The sad part is there is only *one* 'Suit' boot option to go with the ground armor uniform tops and pants. The tops and bottoms are in the 'Tight' category and you can use any boots with it that you can use on any other tight pants, so that is a plus.

And since KDF have the same armor and kit options as feds and rommies, you can at least use the KDF shoulderpads, sashes, boots, belts, etc., to give them a KDF feel. Same for romulans with their rank dual shoulderpads, boots, belts, etc.

And let me guess... as a Romulan I am stuck again with the 4 color choices for klingons...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    of course I just spent fleet credits and dilithium over the week end buying new kits... never fails.. anytime I buy something they change a few a days later....

It's already been confirmed (in the dev blog) that you can trade in any fleet kits you own for the new versions, free of cost. So it's not like the kits you just bought have become useless.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    wry1wry1 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    What People are forgetting is that in Star Trek Sulu was a Botanist before he got on the conn (So he has a speciality in plants and flying a Star Ship) 2 Completley different skill sets. So the above comment is a good point to all those saying there should not be universal slots.

We've been down this road often before. You can use canon to rationalize game mechanics. That's comparing apples to oranges. if we did look to cannon to rationalize game mechanics then 90% of the content in this game wouldn't require you to fire a weapon at all, since in most episodes there was no ship or ground combat. That would make this a boring game.
  • Options
    thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Does anyone here know whether or not the modules have a visual component. I.e.; does changing modules change the way the kit looks on my toon.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    thore187 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know whether or not the modules have a visual component. I.e.; does changing modules change the way the kit looks on my toon.

Kits no longer provide visuals on a character. The old kit visual pieces have been added to the tailor.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    Request for Devs:

Please advise us that:

1. There will be a 4/0 science-medic frame to allow reproduction of the current Medic kit line.
    2. At least one of the heals currently on the medic kit is actually being slotted as a research power so that it will fit in a 3/1 frame, and still reproduce the existing medic kit.
    3. The current medic kit is considered OP, in which why did you release an even more powerful fleet version just last fall with the Sphere kit shop?
    4. Other existing kits cannot be reproduced as well with a "stock" 4 slot frame because of the powers separation.

Not wanting to scream "yet another science nerf" until I see the nerf in the works... :)
    I was curious about this so I looked at the full set of (regular) MK X purple Sci and Eng kits. Here's my results:
    Analyst: AneG, Triage, SP, TH; R, M, R, R
    Bioresearch: BiofS, HR, SF, TH ; M, R, R, R
    Medic: NHM, Triage, VR, MT ; M, M, M, M
    Physician: NHM, H-M, VR, H-D ; M, M, M, M
    Physicist: Exo, HR, SP, EGF ; R, R, R, R
    Xenobiologist: AneG, BiofS, SF, MT ; R, M, R, M

Breach: SDF, CS, QMF, SR ; F, F, F, M
    Bunker: FFD, MGF, TF, SGF ; F, F, F, F
    Enemy Neut: FA, PTB, CMB, WM ; M, M, M, M
    Equip Tech: FA, ED, WM, SR ; M, M, M, M
    Fabrication: SDF, QMF, MGF, TF ; F, F, F, F
    Support Tech: CS, ED, SGF, QF ; F, M, F, M

Soo... only 2 of the extant eng kits are reproducible, and 3 of the extant sci kits are.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kitsune424kitsune424 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You're completely right. Why provide ground troops with the gear they can use, when they can have the gear we think they need?

How many US servicemen ordered mail-order body armor in Afghanistan? An entire industry grew to meet the demand. Meanwhile congressmen were forcing the military to buy more tanks to put into storage to keep factories open.

I understand the reasons behind class-centric ships. They're big, expensive. But custom gear for individuals? Seriously....

Awesome! Love the Sarcasm! XD
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    anagrojanewayanagrojaneway Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kitsune424 wrote: »
    My initial thought on the kit revamp, was that I liked it, however, the fact that we have to WORK AGAIN at getting good kit abilities? BAD BAD move AGAIN Cryptic. Way to falsify your reasoning for nerfing the Rep system for "power creep" issues. Sorry this is just another way power creep can happen. Now, if you were GIVEN the abilities first and foremost as you ranked up, then there would be no issue. However, this is a bad idea with making it that you have to work for the gear

Make up your mind either be against power creep, or not worry about it, not this in between BS

I don't think you get what "power creep" is.

"this is a bad idea with making it so you have to work for the gear" - seriously? That's an MMO, my friend.

When you hit your max level, you work to get gear that further develops your character. That's "end game" content.

It does not mean "every one is completely capped of any possible power/development at level 50". That would be ludicrous, especially considering that one can make it to level 50 doing nothing more than a few missions to get to level 11, and then DOFF for a few days and essentially make an "insta" level 50.

"Power creep" is the constant addition of new abilities, new types of gaining/stacking them, etc. that can (supposedly) unbalance the game - but isn't about saying "once you hit level 50 - you are as strong/useful/powerful as one can ever be".

As to the changes, I'm happy about them. I'm one of the ones that barely has changed a kit since I hit level 50. Not long ago I finally upgraded to a fleet one once the best ones were available via my fleet, but the choices are so limited to really make me say, six to one, half-dozen to another.

Although with Abilities/Reputation/etc. I'm quite tired of all the "swapping" - for ground, I welcome it here. It's doubtful I'll feel the need to really swap as time goes on - I'll build my kit, and until new stuff comes out and I feel like trading/upgrading I'll likely keep it static. I'll be really honest here - I couldn't even tell you what the names of my powers are, I just know one is a heal, one is a debuff, one erases debuffs on me, etc. I really like the thought of building the powers I want and having a lot more control and purpose in what I put in my kit. For example, my BOFFs all have great debuffs - if I feel I don't need one myself and to just let them take care of it, I can use that slot for another type of ability. I like that flexibility.

I also like the idea of some universal modules - and if they come in lockboxes, eh, big deal to me - the game is FTP, of course if you want the best stuff you spend a few bucks (or, you just exchange dilith - it's so easy to get 8K a day on multiple toons these days - minutes a day and you can pull in 50K/day) - it's really a non-issue unless you just are conceptually against the whole deal and like to make it all dramatic.

In this case, being able to just upgrade one slot makes me happy as well - one reason I didn't really mess with kits much before was because I didn't just want to dump my entire kit because I saw one kit power that attracted me - like I said, I won't be changing up all the time, but I do really, very much like the idea of finding a power I want and being able to work it in. It will make me feel much more connected to ground.

And, in this case - they are leaving our existing kits - they will be less powerful than the new ones, but if we don't want to mess with it at all (I doubt I will on my alts, for example) you can just keep going on as you have. It really seems like the best/most fair/easiest to adapt to way to do this.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i8472 wrote: »
    from dev on tribble... *not an exact quote*

only the fleet kits can be turned in for a frame and modules

I don't know exact details though.
    but in short if it's not a fleet kit.... it can Not be exchanged for the new kits...

Seriously that sucks I am in a low level fleet and the fleet kits did not appeal to me but I'm using a very rare Mk XI Doctor kit ( Thats not the real name but's full of healing stuff so doctor kit is what I call it.) and my KDF who is in a high level fleet still uses a Mk X Command Kit (Again not the real name) But since I didnt think any of the fleet kits were useful to me. I have to use my old kit or start from the beginning to get a new fleet kit by buying a kit template and then hopeing I get the drops that would suit my character or buy them for the dil store.

With the rep skills nerf I am really thinking Season 9 may be when I will take a break from STO until Season 10
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Request for Devs:

Please advise us that:

Why would you want a new kit that only has 4 powers in it?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Why would you want a new kit that only has 4 powers in it?

The four slot kit is "standard", the five slot kit is "fleet". Since not everyone is either in a fleet, has fleet purchasing permissions, or has a large enough fleet to land a fleet frame, it's best to pass judgement on the "standard" level instead of the "advanced" level...
    I was curious about this so I looked at the full set of (regular) MK X purple Sci and Eng kits. Here's my results:

Soo... only 2 of the extant eng kits are reproducible, and 3 of the extant sci kits are.

And the part I find "shocking" in this is that the Enemy Neutralization, Equipment Tech, and Bunker kits (aka the most recommended Engie Kits) are "on the blocks" like the Sci's "favorite" Medic kit.

Is this the point that we should start riling about "stealth nerf" until they announce 4/0 kits?

And am I seeing that right? Biofilter sweep is a Medic power? That means the "brand spanking new" Spire Medic Kit can't even be rebuilt, as that's got Biofilter on it and would need a 5/0 medic frame...

<sarcasm> It has been pointed out that the "no existing kit runs all III-versons of a power" is fail, as all the Mk X "purples" do just that. Now they're "stealth nerfing" almost 50% of the kits into oblivion. Boy, did anyone think about what they were doing when they started this revamp or is this someone's pet project/design that jumped on the railroad...?</sarcasm>
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The four slot kit is "standard", the five slot kit is "fleet". Since not everyone is either in a fleet, has fleet purchasing permissions, or has a large enough fleet to land a fleet frame, it's best to pass judgement on the "standard" level instead of the "advanced" level...
    I'm pretty sure that concerning the new kits, 5 is standard for level 50 kits. The closest max-level kit to a Medic kit will be:

Research
    Medical
    Medical
    Medical
    Medical

Which is actually better. If the new 5-slot kits are limited to fleet... I must have missed where they mentioned it somewhere. D=
  • Options
    woodyvalleywoodyvalley Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I noticed that this new kit revamp doesn't include to be able to craft any of this, in fact I looked over a Memory Alpha and it shows that Kits are fully taken out of crafting. Only way to get this is buying it, or getting it from fleet projects.

So even though the way crafting is been neglected or delayed for STO, I get the feeling what the answer is. But I'm going to ask the question anyway.

Is the revamp of the kits going to be also be included back into crafting?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty sure that concerning the new kits, 5 is standard for level 50 kits. The closest max-level kit to a Medic kit will be:

Research
    Medical
    Medical
    Medical
    Medical

Which is actually better. If the new 5-slot kits are limited to fleet... I must have missed where they mentioned it somewhere. D=

I'm being quick right now in that I'm about to leave for work, but in the big pile-o-feedback about the system on tribble I saw that 4-slot kits will be drops/Dil store, etc., and the mark/rarity will influence the bonuses, while the 5-slot kits are gonna be kept in the fleet stores.

This decision is made to keep things "on a par" with what we have today, fleets are the only source of 5-slot kits now, and will remain so in the new system...

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I noticed that this new kit revamp doesn't include to be able to craft any of this, in fact I looked over a Memory Alpha and it shows that Kits are fully taken out of crafting. Only way to get this is buying it, or getting it from fleet projects.

So even though the way crafting is been neglected or delayed for STO, I get the feeling what the answer is. But I'm going to ask the question anyway.

Is the revamp of the kits going to be also be included back into crafting?
    I hope so... :( It'd make things work better IMO.
    And the part I find "shocking" in this is that the Enemy Neutralization, Equipment Tech, and Bunker kits (aka the most recommended Engie Kits) are "on the blocks" like the Sci's "favorite" Medic kit.

Is this the point that we should start riling about "stealth nerf" until they announce 4/0 kits?

And am I seeing that right? Biofilter sweep is a Medic power? That means the "brand spanking new" Spire Medic Kit can't even be rebuilt, as that's got Biofilter on it and would need a 5/0 medic frame...

<sarcasm> It has been pointed out that the "no existing kit runs all III-versons of a power" is fail, as all the Mk X "purples" do just that. Now they're "stealth nerfing" almost 50% of the kits into oblivion. Boy, did anyone think about what they were doing when they started this revamp or is this someone's pet project/design that jumped on the railroad...?</sarcasm>
    Meh.... I think that's why "legacy" kits will remain in game but become unobtainable. If people REALLY want to keep using their old kit they can. But legacy kits won't give you stat bonuses like the new kits. I'm not really worried. Changing one kit power isn't all that big a deal.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wouldn't it be great if we could pass on our old Kits to our Bridge Officer Away Team!
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Wouldn't that be what the dual purpose sci/eng/tac slots mentioned in the blog are for? :confused:
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Research
    Medical
    Medical
    Medical
    Medical

5 slot kits are still limited to only fleet kits. The highest level kit you can get without being from a fleet store still remains a MK X, which only has 4 slots. MK XI and MK XII kits will have 5 slots, but can only be bought from fleet stores.

Which means that characters who already have/use a MK X purple kit, are actually better to hold on to them as they can't be recreated with the new MK X kit frames. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be what the dual purpose sci/eng/tac slots mentioned in the blog are for? :confused:
    Probably... but I haven't seen one yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A while back in this thread i made a relatively detailed argument for making all tier 1 versions of powers universal, and thus slottable by any career.

On further reflection I've cooled on the idea somewhat.

Not all skills, regardless of magnitude, should be available to all careers.

However, I do think that each branch (6 at the moment, two each for science, engineering and tactical) sould have one skill that could be considered universal.

For instance, science is divided into medic and research.

On the medical side, i can see how it is reasonable to assume that most starfleet officers can use a medical tricorder, at least at a basic level.

So, medical tricorder 1 would be a universal kit power, capable of being slotted into any slot on any frame.

On the research side, perhaps biofilter sweep. After all, everyone must get a basic training in transporter technology, which is where that particular skill derives from.

This would have the effect of allowing a limited amount of cross-career skills to be slotted.

Those skills would be limited in both scope and range, in the sense that they can never be more than tier 1 and the list is a subset of the skills you have access to if it is your career.

Giving a modicum of flexibility, while retaining career perks and not contributing to power creep.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    cyberdoo wrote: »
    My two cents is that I like the idea. I've often found myself having to switch between two different kits because some days I'm a fabricator and some days I'm a mechanic, this would allow me to do both, or at least slot the powers I use most.

My only question is why limit us to kits based on the three basic types and two basic sub-types? What if I want to have the powers of both a engineer and a tactical class? I have to switch between the two frames. Seems to me that while the nine frame kits are cool and nice, why not allow me to fully customize my kit to have the powers I want for my away missions without having to switch frames?

Don't take this as criticism, I love your idea and if it were left at that, I could be happier than before the frames. It would seem to be able to mix and match powers, as we can with starships through officers, would be a logical extension.

you do realize./... frames are still limited by career right? a tac cannot equip a sci or engineering frame, same for the other classes.

i highly doubt there will be "hybrid frames" or "universal frames" to let you use other classes powers.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Cryptic,

This sounds like a great idea!;) I was very glad to hear abut the trade in program, as I just updated several of my characters with new (now old) fleet kits. So, all and all, I would give 10/10 for the theory of this new kit rebuild.

On the other hand, the one aspect I am concerned about, is the reputation rebuild.:( With only being able to have 4 active space abilities, and 4 active ground abilities. If it is to function similar to the current captain trait abilities, I would suggest that all 8-12 boxes are made generic, so that you can put either ground or space abilities into them. That way, similar to the current trait system, you can focus on space, ground, or both. I suggest this, as some captains prefer to play heavily one side, while others both. For the former, having set ground/space abilities leaves less customization, as those 4 slots they never use. Yes, this does mean then a captain that has all 8-12 slots of one kind might be a little more powerful, but to be fair, captain Kirk's "reputation" was known throughout the galaxy for a reason, more then the next cadet…because the enterprise was lethal! That said, non of the abilities give that much of an advantage, however for game play, it would be fun to be able to use more passive abilities, for the game style you choose to play, which is the greatest part of STO!

Thanks for listening,

funny you mention it should be like the normal trait system where you can slots whatever you want, and should ignore a space/ground separation for them....

they wish to do with normal traits what they are doing to the rep traits, in that you will be forced to take both ground and space traits. so be careful, come season 9.5 character traits might be split next.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I jumped on Tribble to see this. But I can only find a vendor selling the white MK IX at the highest. I checked all the mission replays and none show awards for frames. Where are the other colored and those higher than MK IX found again?

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I jumped on Tribble to see this. But I can only find a vendor selling the white MK IX at the highest. I checked all the mission replays and none show awards for frames. Where are the other colored and those higher than MK IX found again?

There is a console on Drozana station which gives out MK X Green kit frames and modules. I haven't been able to track down anything of better quality than that myself yet.