test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No more alien nofederation ships

dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
We're Starfleet so why in the Kirks name we use Cardasian, Jem'hadar, Ferengi, Elachi and all other lock box ships? Please no more such things, because this game start to feel less and less Star Trek. I accept Atrox, D'kyr and Kumari because they are Federation race ships but not 'enemies' ships.

I understand that game must have new things to be interesting (I'd rather prefer new challenging content than new more powerfull ships) and that's I see Dyson science destroyer as new way how new ships should go. No specific alien race ship, specific FED/KDF/ROM ship modified/projected using alien technology. So Cryptic please keep new ships at same way as Dyson.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My Federation toons fly Federation ships, my KDF toons fly klingon ships, and my Rom toons fly romulan ships.
    Focus on your things, and let other people focus on their things.
  • Options
    johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My Federation toons fly Federation ships, my KDF toons fly klingon ships, and my Rom toons fly romulan ships.
    Focus on your things, and let other people focus on their things.

This person hits the nail on the head... if you don't like those "alien" (you do know that we're all aliens to some one so :P) ships then just don't use them, but there is no reason that if other people are enjoying them to take them away, or to stop adding them in for other people to enjoy.

As a side note the ONLY 2 races to date that I am really set against being added as playable as Borg and Undine... just no.. please God no..
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dkratasco wrote: »
    We're Starfleet so why in the Kirks name we use Cardasian, Jem'hadar, Ferengi, Elachi and all other lock box ships? Please no more such things, because this game start to feel less and less Star Trek. I accept Atrox, D'kyr and Kumari because they are Federation race ships but not 'enemies' ships.

I understand that game must have new things to be interesting (I'd rather prefer new challenging content than new more powerfull ships) and that's I see Dyson science destroyer as new way how new ships should go. No specific alien race ship, specific FED/KDF/ROM ship modified/projected using alien technology. So Cryptic please keep new ships at same way as Dyson.
    If someone want to fly an Alien Ship on their Federation character then that's their business if you want to keep it canon and just fly Federation Starships then no one is forcing you not to do so but I personally like being able to fly Ships from other races it gives players the chance to fly some of the Alien ships they saw in the series that they like such as the Jem'hadar Dreadnought however it wouldn't be fair if players were denied flying ships from other races just because some people don't like Federation players flying Alien ships if you don't want to fly non canon ships then no one is forcing you to do otherwise.
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We're Starfleet so why in the Kirks name we use Cardasian, Jem'hadar, Ferengi, Elachi and all other lock box ships?

Ask Captain Sisko why he used a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship.. or why Enabran Tain commanded a Warbird.. ;P point is.. there could always be explanations and I for one have no problem to come up with reasons for some of my chars using those "alien" ships :) !!!
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ask Captain Sisko why he used a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship.. or why Enabran Tain commanded a Warbird.. ;P point is.. there could always be explanations and I for one have no problems to come up with reasons for some of my chars using those "alien" ships :) !!!
    Damn right, In times of war you have to improvise and sometimes that'll mean using ships from your enemies or from your allies.
  • Options
    stongbadsstongbads Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No more alien nofederation ships

What's next, boot out all the "aliens" that don't fit in your Federation image? When a new world joins the Federation, do you expect them to scrap their entire military & civilian starships just to match the Federation's FOTM starships?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    no one is forcing you to do otherwise.

Actually yes, game mechanics are forcing me to do so. Because there aren't any Federation alternatives for those ships (stats, BOff's layout, consoles).
    Ask Captain Sisko why he used a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship.. or why Enabran Tain commanded a Warbird.. ;P
    Damn right, In times of war you have to improvise and sometimes that'll mean using ships from your enemies or from your allies.

Good point sometimes not most of time, those were single situations,one ship for whole fleet. What we have now is different, alien ships are creating SF core not incidental case (12 Fed + 2 fed alien ships vs ~20 non fed ships). This game is base on ST franchise and should keep this universe spirit.
    What's next, boot out all the "aliens" that don't fit in your Federation image? When a new world joins the Federation, do you expect them to scrap their entire military & civilian starships just to match the Federation's FOTM starships?
    I accept Atrox, D'kyr and Kumari because they are Federation race ships
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Well I have no Lockbox ships (and I do not like the Lockbox method at all), but having them in the game in general... well I like that.

At some point we simply run out of federation ships, we have ran out of Romulan ships with the very release of LOR and I can only think of one canon Klingon ship missing thats not from the ENT-era.

Also Cryptics own designs of factional ships are far more often miss then hit. So, I'm all for more of those ships (I just which they wouldn't come in lockboxes or time gated events).

BUT: My real problem is the lack of attention towards the "canon" ships we have.
    Its a common complain that the older ships, which are the canon ships, are dated, and I thing some of them need some attention to get them en par with the rest of the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    At some point we simply run out of federation ships, we have ran out of Romulan ships with the very release of LOR and I can only think of one canon Klingon ship missing thats not from the ENT-era.

New ships don't need to be base on canon classes. They can create totally new classes but with Starfleet style, just like T5 ships or Dyson.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    New ships don't need to be base on canon classes. They can create totally new classes but with Starfleet style, just like T5 ships or Dyson.

Again: 95% of their own faction designs suck. Especially the federation variants. There its more like... well... 100%.

And there ARE enough federation designs around, I think most people want something else now and then, not more of the same just more ugly.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Actually yes, game mechanics are forcing me to do so. Because there aren't any Federation alternatives for those ships (stats, BOff's layout, consoles).

[...]

Huh..what?
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    CBS is allowing them to do it, it makes the game way more money than faction ships because they can be flown by anyone, the Dyson Science Destroyers are the first and only ship so far in the C-store to have a cross factional way to obtain it.

Faction ships cant be sold in lockboxes (for example, Fed ships will never be accessable to Roms or KDF this way), and CBS doesnt want every character to have access permanently to non-faction ships, so they cannot go into the C-store, so unless you can come up with an alternate way for Cryptic to make a metric ****-ton of money without resorting to lockboxes, im sure they might make more c-store ships.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You guys remember the Song from the Bangles?:

It's just another manic Troll-day
    I wish it was Bann-day
    'Cause that's my funday
    My I don't have to runday
    It's just another manic Troll-day
  • Options
    starlancedstarlanced Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I always look at the lockbox ships as being captured or abandoned on battle then repurposed by the federation for a variety of uses such as spying, learning new tech, mixing of tech etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Then you yourself are choosing to use Alien ships for your Character because you want ships to suit your own needs, sorry but that's not a good enough excuse to deny other players using the ships they choose. If you want to use Federation ships then construct and adapt your build for a Federation ship
    Your argument suggests that if you wanted a Federation alternative to the B'rel Bird of prey then you would be forced to fly a B'rel because there is no Federation alternative, there aren't always going to be alternatives for Non Federation ships in STO and it wouldn't happen in Canon Star Trek either. Sorry but what you're suggesting is not going to happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    starlanced wrote: »
    I always look at the lockbox ships as being captured or abandoned on battle then repurposed by the federation for a variety of uses such as spying, learning new tech, mixing of tech etc.

Thats one way to look at it.

For my own characters using non-strafleet designs (Breen, D'kyr, Kumari) I consider them Mercanarys. I don't really like RPing Starfleet that much. ( I only have 1 actual "Starfleet" character)
    I'd obviously do the same if I had Lockbox ships with those..

And other ships I see I do not consider star fleet anyway, I like how the diversity gives the feel of a bigger universe.
  • Options
    redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    My explanation for my Vulcan flying a JHDC? She's half romulan, she defeated the ship in combat, beamed onto the bridge when shields were down and killed the crew. To rub the jemmies nose in it, she had it restored and outfitted with the latest technology. Hey, the nice thing about being a Vice Admiral is that you can choose your own ship :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    redz4tw wrote: »
    My explanation for my Vulcan flying a JHDC? She's half romulan, she defeated the ship in combat, beamed onto the bridge when shields were down and killed the crew. To rub the jemmies nose in it, she had it restored and outfitted with the latest technology. Hey, the nice thing about being a Vice Admiral is that you can choose your own ship :P

I think only proper Admirals can choose their ships...

Well in canon Star Trek anyway
    My explanation for all my Non Romulan Ships is that my Character took them as trophies after defeating them
    Perfectly plausible explanation for a high ranking officer of the Tal Shi...

uhhh I mean the Romulan Republic
    Especially for the devious Romulans we all know and love.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I started keeping track one day, not scientifically, but taking note of what I ran into in pugs and how often I got what kinds of combos.

Most people fly Starfleet/KDF/Romulan ships.

I suppose that should have been obvious, but it wasn't. I mean, everybody and their brother has access to free and cheap ships native to their faction. On top of that most C-Store ships are factional as well. People just notice fancy ships, and when they see their ten thousandth Defiant it just doesn't have an impact any more.

I, too, was feeling a bit dismayed by how many oddball combinations I was seeing. I like things to feel canon, too. The problem isn't really as bad as it seems.

Now I make a game of it, to see if I can get a full group either way, all alien or all factional.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't like the idea of foreign Alien Lock Ships since they start coming out with Fleets of them in a single lock box, when i fight Feds in PvP... most of the time i see them using Lock Box ships due to the fact that most of the original Starfleet / Federation align races designs sucks due to their inferior stats, BOff layout, etc.

Why Cryptic did this, first off when STO got bought from Atari by PWE, PWE most likely gave guide lines to Cryptic to use Lock Boxes which are already in PWE games, Cryptic in their ever lack of imagination (most of the time) decided to use 1 Foreign Alien Ship per Lock Box which they ask CBS which they approve it as long those ships very rare, and from this foundation we have now an Entire Fleets of Foreign Alien Lock Box ships with far superior stats to most KDF and Fed ships, and with more Lock Boxes ahead with more powerful fleet of ships in each of them. with these Lock Box ships now dominating the KDF and Fed faction which most indigenous Faction/Align ships can't compete, the Federation and Klingon Empire might as well surrender and merged to make a New Dominion faction led by Laas.

I myself don't have a problem with Lock Boxes but i believe that that should have made original KDF/Fed Alien Align/Freindly ship designs for such races like the Vulcan, Caitians, Ferasan, Andorians, Leathans, Tamarians, Bajorans, etc. but that will never happen.

and now we most likely will soon get a Species 8472 Lock Box (a Race more powerful than the Borg) with players gonna be able to fly them... they might as well come out with a Borg and Iconian Lock Boxes, because i can't possibiliy see what lame excuse they gonna come out with for a players from technically inferior factions to control such ships like for an example Ferengi found Borg cube deactivated and in drift, they activated it and soon sell it on the Lock Box or Lobi Store.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The point isn't how you explain it to yourself, but how it explain to ST franchise. It simple doesn't.

It's just like putting light axes or hammers i SWTOR. Bioware can do it and earn from it but they wan't, because it SW universe/franchise Jedis run with glowing sticks. Same situation here Starfleet Captains fly starfleet ships, the only exception is when they have specific mission to do and it demands using enemy ship for example to get behind enemy lines. And we have those situations in game - story line missions.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Even Kirk flew a BOP for an entire movie
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The point isn't how you explain it to yourself, but how it explain to ST franchise. It simple doesn't.

It's just like putting light axes or hammers i SWTOR. Bioware can do it and earn from it but they wan't, because it SW universe/franchise Jedis run with glowing sticks. Same situation here Starfleet Captains fly starfleet ships, the only exception is when they have specific mission to do and it demands using enemy ship for example to get behind enemy lines. And we have those situations in game - story line missions.

So, summarized, you want cryptic to force everyone into a strict to canon rp concept because you want to play that way.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014

It's just like putting light axes or hammers i SWTOR. Bioware can do it and earn from it but they wan't, because it SW universe/franchise Jedis run with glowing sticks.

actually, vibroaxes are in the game in SWTOR, buyable from their cartel market.
  • Options
    jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I cannot even think of an in-universe explanation for this. "A large number of Starfleet Officers now pilot salvaged Jem'Hadar ships"

If you think it is bad now wait until we have the Undine lockbox...we can start piloting Species 8472 ships.

Now I'd understand if it were a hybrid Federation/Alien ship much like the Dyson ships where they take Federation technology and adapt the alien technology. This makes in-universe sense.

Can you imagine if we had a Borg lockbox and so many players flying Borg cubes??
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Even Kirk flew a BOP for an entire movie
    Special circumstances. He stole the Bounty it because it was literally the only ship available, and he needed to get off the Genesis planet before it blew the **** up. Once Starfleet let him off he was back in The Chair of a Connie Refit.

Likewise Enabran Tain's D'deridex-class (he was overall commander of a joint task force and chose to use one as a flagship because he felt like it) and Sisko's JHAS (covert operation in enemy territory where a Starfleet ship would've been kind of obvious).

Apart from outliers like that, nobody in the canon militaries ever uses a ship other than the one from their own faction. Therefore, I don't either, and will not start doing so. If you feel differently, that's your prerogative.
    tenkari wrote: »
    actually, vibroaxes are in the game in SWTOR, buyable from their cartel market.
    The difference is that vibroaxes are canonical weapons and aren't restricted to any one faction.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...Same situation here Starfleet Captains fly starfleet ships, the only exception is when they have specific mission to do and it demands using enemy ship for example to get behind enemy lines. And we have those situations in game - story line missions.

Just because there is no information on a broader use of such ships in the franchise, doesn't necessarily mean that there can't or shouldn't be one.. like induperator already mentioned.. it's a time of war and during that, anything can happen. Just as another example.. during WW2 the germans used a large number of captured soviet T-34 tanks and included them in several of their Panzer Divisions and used them not just for "specific" missions, but also at the front line.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    rock3tmanrock3tman Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Special circumstances. He stole the Botany Bay it because it was literally the only ship available, and he needed to get off the Genesis planet before it blew the **** up.

Um, im pretty sure that BOP was called the "Bounty", the "Botany Bay" was the ship Khan was found on?
    1FHdQdl.jpg
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm right there with you OP, I would soooo love this to be true myslef. Unfortunatley that train left the station long time ago and it's not comming back, unfortunatley. Just look around, we're about to be showered with the apex of stupidity - a Undine Lockbox. What more there is to say, really.

I myslef only use faction specific ship and that's the reason Cryptic's lockboxes don't see much profit from me. The only lockbox ship I have is the Krenn Destroyer because it's faction specific and I think it's an awesome Klingon design. Never had much interest for all the rest of the 'alien' lockbox ships.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rock3tman wrote: »
    Um, im pretty sure that BOP was called the "Bounty", the "Botany Bay" was the ship Khan was found on?

You are correct.