What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mirror Invasion Event duration is too short

Comments

• Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here's the thing.... Who gets to decide what date Wimbledon is played? NOT ME! (or any of the other people who just watch it on TV)

Who gets to decide what date in-game events are? :P

HINT: (not the players)

We're not just someone who watches, we are part of the game. The game exists for us, to us, by us. It's not the same thing.
    Obviously that there may be reasons for why it only lasts three weeks. They surely have a timetable and most probably a short, mid and long term callendar, and as such they define these things by it.
    But the OP didn't ask for a time frame that suited his spare time, he asked for a prolonged period and why they made it 3 weeks and not 4 or something else.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drasym wrote: »
    One could also argue if your real life commitments don't allow you fifteen minutes a day to call your own you don't have time to use the rewards from the special event anyway.

You may find, in the future, that you have to put your life on hold for certain things for short periods of time. My daughter comes first, and right now she needs me more than this game does. In a few weeks, she will probably calm down when she has less teething and will sleep more, but there will be other players that also have similar time requirements. I just ask for an event to be one month long instead of 21 days, its not like its the end of the Earth or something to have a month long event.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We're not just someone who watches, we are part of the game. The game exists for us, to us, by us. It's not the same thing.
    Obviously that there may be reasons for why it only lasts three weeks. They surely have a timetable and most probably a short, mid and long term callendar, and as such they define these things by it.
    But the OP didn't ask for a time frame that suited his spare time, he asked for a prolonged period and why they made it 3 weeks and not 4 or something else.

In the case of the wimbledon analogy ,BBC coverage exists for the license payer, to the license and financed by the license payer

Still an appropriate analogy
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't understand why Cryptic makes these events available for only 21 days (3 weeks) when it essentially takes 14 days (2 weeks) to accomplish it. I know someone will pipe up with the 20 hour cool down, but it is pretty much once a day. I am sure that I am not the only one who plays this game that because they have real life commitments (work, familiy, etc.) can't be on two out of three days in a row. Why can't it be extended to a month (4 weeks = 28 days) to allow the "everyman" to get a chance to get these done?

I totally agree with you!
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    In the case of the wimbledon analogy ,BBC coverage exists for the license payer, to the license and financed by the license payer

Still an appropriate analogy

The analogy is incorrect because he did not ask for the event to occur at a later/another date! He asked for a deadline postponement.

The store sale was an accurate analogy because the store has a sale for a week. He can't go there that week so he would ask them to make it two weeks.

The tournament being held in another moth is NOT a good analogy.
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't understand why Cryptic makes these events available for only 21 days (3 weeks) when it essentially takes 14 days (2 weeks) to accomplish it. I know someone will pipe up with the 20 hour cool down, but it is pretty much once a day. I am sure that I am not the only one who plays this game that because they have real life commitments (work, familiy, etc.) can't be on two out of three days in a row. Why can't it be extended to a month (4 weeks = 28 days) to allow the "everyman" to get a chance to get these done?

100% in agreement.

Its these events more that anything that is turning STO into a huge effort for me.

I have 8 toons, that I don't want to see left behind :(

To sum-up:

Winter event - ran 8x14 = 112 races (was strained) ... hardly caught my breath ... Solanae - ran 8x3 = 24 episode missions (buggered) ... then .... 8x14 = 112 MU = I'm exhausted and I'm only halfway through.

(This does not even include the daily maintenance like doffing etc, rep, fleet etc I need to also fit in)

I start and end STO these days with a sigh.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just want to say that I am not trying to grind up tons of toons for the event. I have 6, but I am only worried about getting up my top 3, one of each character class. But the way things have worked out, eventwise, I did not complete Crystaline and will not complete Mirror Invasion for any.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I don't disagree on any particular point.

A week to spare sounds like a lot; but not everyone may be able to start the exact first day. Or visit your parents for the weekend; and add to that, O, I dunno, some unexpected downtime (or expected, really? Begins more to look like the latter), and you're already dangerously close to the edge.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    krenzikkrenzik Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The "need" of acquiring anything in the game is optional, because it's a game.

Nobody is forced to do anything, you're free to turn off the game and do something else.

If you have two hours of free time, that means you have two hours to play, not thirty minutes; further, the fifteen minutes a day the event takes leaves you a surplus of fifteen minutes based on your thirty minute schedule; further still, if you cannot log in every day, you have one third longer the amount of days than is necessary in order to complete the event.

The generally accepted word for an organisation founded with the intent to generate profit for it's founders, is a "business". Might I also point out that this event, and the entire game that surrounds it is completely free for you to play.

I bet that catheter you wear optimizes your gaming time. Now, what's wrong with making the rep items account bound? yeah, one character can finish it very quickly, but the same effort would have to be put in to make the same amoutn for all toons. It gives us with lives a chance to cash in one time a bit sooner. that's all.

Cryptic will not give you compensation for being company man when you don't work for them at all, btw
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    krenzik wrote: »
    I bet that catheter you wear optimizes your gaming time.

Eeew! TMI! way too TMI! :eek:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    krenzik wrote: »
    I bet that catheter you wear optimizes your gaming time. Now, what's wrong with making the rep items account bound? yeah, one character can finish it very quickly, but the same effort would have to be put in to make the same amoutn for all toons. It gives us with lives a chance to cash in one time a bit sooner. that's all.

Cryptic will not give you compensation for being company man when you don't work for them at all, btw

Because then you come back here, moaning that you complete the event too early and now you have nothing to do anymore. Really, it's just 12 minutes for a run. If you're too busy to spare twelve minutes, you really should just play Clash of Clans or Fruit Ninja then.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Because then you come back here, moaning that you complete the event too early and now you have nothing to do anymore. Really, it's just 12 minutes for a run. If you're too busy to spare twelve minutes, you really should just play Clash of Clans or Fruit Ninja then.

Thats not the point. Some people will never realize that A LOT of people cant even log-in some days due to the REAL life. It doesnt matter if the event is only 15 minutes, because you are not going to log-in at all. Seriously, some of you should have a real life and you will realize that things are not that way, really.
    Do you think 9 days of margin is enough?? what world do you live, seriously?, mars?.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thats not the point. Some people will never realize that A LOT of people cant even log-in some days due to the REAL life. It doesnt matter if the event is only 15 minutes, because you are not going to log-in at all. Seriously, some of you should have a real life and you will realize that things are not that way, really.
    Do you think 9 days of margin is enough?? what world do you live, seriously?, mars?.

If your real life is such a chore all the time that you can't spare 12 minutes in a single day, maybe it's time you cut back on the 45 minutes you take at Starbucks sipping a coffee. If your life is so important, then you need to forgo gaming altogether and sort out your TRIBBLE before you start harping about a damn video game.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If your real life is such a chore all the time that you can't spare 12 minutes in a single day, maybe it's time you cut back on the 45 minutes you take at Starbucks sipping a coffee. If your life is so important, then you need to forgo gaming altogether and sort out your TRIBBLE before you start harping about a damn video game.

Again, some of you need to have a real life. Or grow up. You will never understand what it is if you dont have one. Do you think a computer is everything and i will be worrying to stop doing more important things , whatever they are, to go to my home and log-in 15 minutes to just "play" STO?? seriously.. are you sure you are not just trying to pump up cryptic? lol.

And BTW, i am not in this situation right now, fortunately i have time now and i can login 1-2 hours a day. But 2 weeks ago i was not in that situation, and i barely could log-in 3 days in a week. Because of work, personal issues and other family matters, plus i had vacations, and a large etc. And because a lot of things can happen in 1 single week.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,403 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Unless i am mistaken, the event was 20-21 days when it started. 14 runs needed with 20 hour cool down. Almost enough to run though the 14-series twice.

Why do people still complaint that they do not have sufficient time? Does PWE have to cater to everyone with 300 chars and let these events run indefinitely?

Enough is enough, stop asking for extension every time the internet has a hiccup.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Again, some of you need to have a real life. Or grow up. You will never understand what it is if you dont have one. Do you think a computer is everything and i will be worrying to stop doing more important things , whatever they are, to go to my home and log-in 15 minutes to just "play" STO?? seriously.. are you sure you are not just trying to pump up cryptic? lol.

I have a real life, and in my real life I sacrifice games over family and work. I dont NEED anything in a game so when I cant get something in a game because something in real life comes up, I dont sweat it, because I've made the better choice.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    Unless i am mistaken, the event was 20-21 days when it started. 14 runs needed with 20 hour cool down. Almost enough to run though the 14-series twice.

Why do people still complaint that they do not have sufficient time? Does PWE have to cater to everyone with 300 chars and let these events run indefinitely?

Enough is enough, stop asking for extension every time the internet has a hiccup.

Are you going to cry because they already are extending it until Monday April 7? Cryptic felt it was necessary due to the extent of 2 different times there were issues. And that's good customer service. Running it your way would be the fast way to lose people.

Cryptic now knows if you apply for a position to not hire you for CS.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    questerius wrote: »

SURE. We have enough time, enough time to log-in EVERY DAY with the only purpose of participate in the event and gather the transporter. Because the majority of us cant login more than 3 or 4 days in a week, and that is not a guaranteee that something will happen any other day.

Its not about having enough days, of course we have enough, but they are not ENOUGH to call the event "fun" because the little margin some people gives its ridiculous and make some people just IMPOSSIBLE to gather the reward.

But i dont know why i bother lol, some of you really should know what means to LIVE, not to just sit in front of the computer to do everything xD.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    I have a real life, and in my real life I sacrifice games over family and work. I dont NEED anything in a game so when I cant get something in a game because something in real life comes up, I dont sweat it, because I've made the better choice.

You obviously are lying, sorry. Because then it makes not sense at all, that you dont think its so little time.

Or maybe you are just trying to give cryptic all the credit, of course, maybe its that...
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Actually it's 15 because of the forced countdown in the mission. But otherwise you're good on what you said. But I have yet to see people moan because they finished the event early since STO let's you do it daily for extra rewards (at least they did with previous ones).

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You obviously are lying, sorry. Because then it makes not sense at all, that you dont think its so little time.

Or maybe you are just trying to give cryptic all the credit, of course, maybe its that...

Oh yes obviously, I must by lying....how could someone put real life over a game?

Next time my wife needs help, I'll say, "sorry, I need to farm for 50k dilithium and a mirror hakeev doff."

In all seriousness, I couldn't immagine ever putting a game over anything in real life. STO is a fun game that I play when I have time. It should never be the case that life gets in the way of a game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Oh yes obviously, I must by lying....how could someone put real life over a game?

Next time my wife needs help, I'll say, "sorry, I need to farm for 50k dilithium and a mirror hakeev doff."

LOL. If any guy did that, he'd need to farm for alimony. :) And some would need to learn to sleep with one eye open.

• Options
    indyv72indyv72 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    3 more days and I'm done... never looking back either... I loathe this event!
  • Options
    edited March 2014

And BTW, i am not in this situation right now, fortunately i have time now and i can login 1-2 hours a day. But 2 weeks ago i was not in that situation, and i barely could log-in 3 days in a week. Because of work, personal issues and other family matters, plus i had vacations, and a large etc. And because a lot of things can happen in 1 single week.

Plenty of people have a life and can still spare minutes to log in and play. It's not Cryptic's problem you have TRIBBLE time management and a poor schedule.

Again, if your TRIBBLE is too complicated to play for (now corrected) 15 minutes, you need to switch over to phone games or get your sh*t sorted out before you start whining about a video game.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here is why they do it first off its to generate intense interest in one particular thing like the mirror event and then to keep people coming back and grinding for the doff which to be honest is more of a novelty than anything else lol.

Cryptic have an obession with cool down times for things like this where you can only get whatever special currency it is every 20hrs which it seems most of us agree is a bit silly,however part of the reason I believe they do this is to regulate traffic for certain events which makes sense I suppose lol.

When they removed the hourly events it was partly to revamp them and therefore make them more appealing which they have kind of achieved in part as for the duration maybe they could adjust it to last a bit longer for certain events.

However the other reason it was done was to ensure that everyone would get a chance to earn certain rewards like the marks for a limited time at a boosted rate which is good for fleets like mine which benefit from those kinds of events.

While on the subject of cool downs this is particularly noticeable with the doff system where certain assignments will take 20hrs for seemingly no good reason at all other than to bore the majority of us while we wait overnight for it to complete.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Plenty of people have a life and can still spare minutes to log in and play. It's not Cryptic's problem you have TRIBBLE time management and a poor schedule.

Again, if your TRIBBLE is too complicated to play for (now corrected) 15 minutes, you need to switch over to phone games or get your sh*t sorted out before you start whining about a video game.

Why is it that some people are now crying and upset if Cryptic extends the event? Is it really that bothersome? If so then it's that person who needs to reevaluate their "lives" since a stranger you will never meet in real life will get 3 or 4 more days to complete it now.

• Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yours sounds like a dullard and a pain. Mine is right here beside me, FARMING FOR OUR MIRROR HAKEEVS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited March 2014

wow what a hostile attitude towards someone you've never met over a damn video game.

not saying you're the basement dwelling type but you might need to take a step back, because your aggression to that poster is bizarre and creepy.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

In all seriousness, I couldn't immagine ever putting a game over anything in real life. STO is a fun game that I play when I have time. It should never be the case that life gets in the way of a game.

That shows EXACTLY my point.. seriously, some of you cant even read.. if you have a wife, children, a job, etc, how can you pretend this guy , that will have barely 30minutes -1 hour of free time in a day will be saying that 9 days is a fair margin????, any person on this situation will be lucky if he can play 2 or 3 days in a week. Lets say 4 with the weekend.

And there are A LOT of people playing STO in this situation.

Your words just dont make any sense, at least what you write now and before.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Ow.. no comments.

TRIBBLE time management?? lol, seriously, dude, grow up. Sorry but your thinking is really from a little kid. WE all have 24 hours a day to do stuff. We sleep for about 8 hours (at least i try). We work for about 10 hours (total time out from my home 12 hours). So, lets see, i have left about 4 hours. And from your words.. i dont have anything to do in those 4 hours. I can use em to play STO.. hahahahahahahaha, seriously..

This is an example. And i dont have children, and still i literally didnt have time for anything.

So, i hope one day you will realize that life is a lot more than just do a couple of things and play STO.

And this is where cryptic is failing every time. And its really bad for a lot of players of STO.