What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help from those fluent in Rihan!

Comments

• Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Imma hop on this train while I can. Imma list off a few things I'd like translations to, if possible. <_<
    • Fire Bird (you mentioned earlier there's no Phoenix, so this is close enough)
    • New Life
    • Grief, Greiving, Mounring
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Imma hop on this train while I can. Imma list off a few things I'd like translations to, if possible. <_<
    • New Life

Hmm, 'Fire Bird'. 'Dhael' is bird. 'Aen' is wing or winged. Fire is 'llair'. Or 'okhala' if you are actually talking about the Element itself. If you go literal, "Llair'dhael". I kinda like "Aen'llair" myself.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    • New Life

Dhael ih'Llaiir
    Bird + adjectival Fire = Firebird

Draed Mollais
    Life + New = New Life
    (or Mol'Draed)

Kraep'le
    Sadness = Grief
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm going to do a Jex and jump on the train. I like to make the names fit, and with the Rommy ships I have to use the random option. Having someone willing to do translations is a good thing.

I would like translations, if it is possible, for:
    - Lady of the Shadows or Shadow Lady
    -Snowy
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    Alas, there is no such word in Rihan.
    Ah well, thanks for trying :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    I'm going to do a Jex and jump on the train. I like to make the names fit, and with the Rommy ships I have to use the random option. Having someone willing to do translations is a good thing.

-Snowy

I couldn't find one for snowy, but:
    Shadow: leahval

Female: kraeter

So it would be somethig like: Kraeter nnea leahval

I probably got it wrong, but, hey, at least I tried.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014

-Snowy

Nviahr = Woman
    Laehval = Shadow

Nviahr Laehvalen
    Woman of Shadows

Nviahr ih'Laehval
    Shadow Woman

Snowy = Etmnau'ey
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thank you both. It's great that there are people willing to help in this area, for those of us who want appropriate names but aren't bright enough to do it ourselves where language is concerned.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thank you both. It's great that there are people willing to help in this area, for those of us who want appropriate names but aren't bright enough to do it ourselves where language is concerned.

Yeah, if you wanted a Klingon name, there's alot of translators for them, in fact, Protogoth should make a Romulan translator on the interweb, it would help out alot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Yeah, if you wanted a Klingon name, there's alot of translators for them, in fact, Protogoth should make a Romulan translator on the interweb, it would help out alot.

There is an online dictionary for Rihan; it's not satisfactory, because it was apparently developed before the vocabulary of the language had grown to the size it's at now -- it even omits terms found in the IRLI website's dictionary (which came after the CIRL site).

Using a dictionary of a foreign language, even if it's exhaustive and unabridged, will not suffice to construct meaningful names, sentences, or phrases in that language. Online translators like BabelFish and Google Translate are also much less reliable than they should be, even with real-world languages.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Can I get a translation for the word Pheonix? Thanks Protogoth

I found something that might work:

Alth'indor

It's not "officially" a Rihan word (insofar as it's not in either the CIRL or IRLI dictionaries, and wasn't used in Diane Duane's works), but it should probably be added to the Rihan lexicon.

However, bear in mind that this name has a historical connection which may put you off using the name. In Path to 2409 (year 2399), the I.R.W. Alth'Indor was the ship commanded by General Tebok, and it exploded due to what was believed by Tebok's engineers to be a virus, killing Tebok and all hands.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Alth'indor

It's not "officially" a Rihan word (insofar as it's not in either the CIRL or IRLI dictionaries, and wasn't used in Diane Duane's works), but it should probably be added to the Rihan lexicon.

However, bear in mind that this name has a historical connection which may put you off using the name. In Path to 2409 (year 2399), the I.R.W. Alth'Indor was the ship commanded by General Tebok, and it exploded due to what was believed by Tebok's engineers to be a virus, killing Tebok and all hands.

Yeah, well since my Romulan (T'vox) hates the Tal'Shiar, I doubt I'll use it (if you ask why he flies a Falchion, It's because he only uses it against Tal'Shiar forces). Thanks for trying,
    Jolan Tru
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nice try, but Tebok was Tal Prai'ex, you should not trust the Feds or the Klinks with telling you these things.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Okay a couple more for the brain boxes (compliment not sarcasm) to translate for me:

-Judgement Day
    -Stalker or shadow stalker
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Okay a couple more for the brain boxes (compliment not sarcasm) to translate for me:

-Judgement Day
    -Stalker or shadow stalker

Eisae ih'Vahhrer = Judgment Day
    Eisae vahhrerai = [a] day of judgment (when not used as a Proper nominal phrase = when not a name)
    Eisae s'Vahhrer = [the] Day of Judgment (ONLY as a name)

There is no word for "stalk" (and thus, no "stalker" or "stalking" or anything of the sort) in any Romulan dictionary at my disposal. However, as "stalk" is used as a synonym for "hunt" (especially in British English):

Glohhanen = Hunter
    Khellian = Hunter (archaic); please be aware that I have a ship with this name (I'm not saying "Don't use it," nor even asking you not to; I'm merely giving a heads up, because some participants in this forum view me as somewhat controversial due to my refusal to swallow generalizations derived from the attitudes and behavior of the Tal'Shiar applied to the Romulan people as a whole, and the fact that I refuse to forget that the Romulans in TOS were a wholly different breed from the majority of Romulans depicted in all later series).

Khellian laehvalai = [a] hunter of shadow (archaic and not a name)
    OR
    Glohhanen laehvalai = [a] hunter of shadow (not a name)

Khellian s'Laehval = (archaic and a name, and since "Laehval" is the name of Sela's ship, this could be taken as meaning that your ship is stalking her ship)
    OR
    Glohhanen s'Laehval = [the] Hunter of Shadow (a name, and since "Laehval" is the name of Sela's ship, this could be taken as meaning that your ship is stalking her ship)

Khellian laehvalen = [a] hunter of shadows (archaic and not a name)
    OR
    Glohhanen laehvalen = [a] hunter of shadows (not a name)

Khellian ch'Laehval = [the] Hunter of Shadows (archaic and a name)
    OR
    Glohhanen ch'Laehval = [the] Hunter of Shadows (a name)
  • Options
    serenitysalanderserenitysalander Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We should get together at sometime on New Romulus or the Flotilla and have Rihannsu class
    tumblr_inline_nqn574h3sb1qhuwtq_540.jpg
    Name: Meaghan

Fleets: Tal'Diann, Imperial Romulan Fleet, Axanar Marines, LGBT of Starfleet, House of Ta'al

Characters: Dhivael i'Ratleihfi t'Kamemor (Rom-KDF), Empress Sela(Rom-Fed), V'alkris Morath(Fed), Kara Thrace(Fed), Jaeih Piccolo(Rom-Fed), Ellaria(KDF), Zylim Dukat(Fed)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    My Scimitar is RRW Ra'kholh I believe that's Romulan for vengeance

Fleets: Tal'Diann, Imperial Romulan Fleet, Axanar Marines, LGBT of Starfleet, House of Ta'al

Characters: Dhivael i'Ratleihfi t'Kamemor (Rom-KDF), Empress Sela(Rom-Fed), V'alkris Morath(Fed), Kara Thrace(Fed), Jaeih Piccolo(Rom-Fed), Ellaria(KDF), Zylim Dukat(Fed)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thank you again Proto.

I have Judgement Day in old English but didn't think it would fit a Romulan ship, Eftwyrd. I know most don't and even if I or others don't understand it I do like the names to fit. I've always been like this with games.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    My Scimitar is RRW Ra'kholh I believe that's Romulan for vengeance

It is poetic Romulan for "Avenger."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So close lol

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Daie - my flagships have been named ChR Ra'kholh (or RRW these days) for over 20 years now.

Gawd, I'm old. When did *that* happen?
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Daie - my flagships have been named ChR Ra'kholh (or RRW these days) for over 20 years now.

Gawd, I'm old. When did *that* happen?
    Does this mean I should change my ship name? I don't want to be taking anyone's idea.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Does this mean I should change my ship name? I don't want to be taking anyone's idea.

Goodness, I wouldn't think so. I won't presume to speak for another, but in my experience, royalsovereign is a good sort, and your effort to be considerate is one which I personally view as laudable.

Besides that, I've seen a few of my own chosen ship names used by others ("Sienae" seems to be a very popular Romulan ship name, for example, as are "Memenda" and various forms of "LivianaCharvanek," like "Liviana" and "Charvanek"). When you start looking at Fed ships, there are some names that are also extremely popular (the ships in my Vulcan's personal squadron include the U.S.S. Luna, the U.S.S. Liberty, and the U.S.S. Thomas Jefferson, for example, and I've seen quite a few other ships with those names, to say nothing of "Enterprize," and various other idiosyncratic spellings of "Enterprise," since the actual name spelled correctly cannot be used by players).
    Edit: And my Orion is certainly not the only Orion with a ship named "Seduction," a ship named "Seductress," a ship named "Temptress," and so on.

While being original (and courteous and considerate) is a worthy goal, the sad fact is that the Rihan language still has a fairly small vocabulary, so some overlapping in ship names (if you would like an authentic Romulan ship name) is to be expected as unavoidable. (At least Rihan is more developed than Kolari, the primary language of the Orions, which has a very small vocabulary and little to nothing explaining the grammar of the language. I would really like to see the Orion languages developed more as well.)

However, expanding the vocabulary is a necessary part of the work which we aim to do at the Imperial Romulan Language Institute Google+ Group. Anyone who is serious about learning the Rihan language (and knows how to behave professionally, with dignity and courtesy) is hereby invited to apply to join the IRLI Group at Google Plus. As a Moderator of the Group, I'm able to issue this invitation and approve applications; the Group is private, but only because we would like to keep trolls out (and kick them if they somehow manage to hide their true nature prior to being approved to join). Be advised, though, that in spite of "Imperial" being part of the name of the Group (a nod to other, past efforts to promote the language), the Owner and Moderators at the Group are STO players whose Romulan characters are loyal to the New Romulan Republic and opposed to the Tal'Shiar and what the Romulan Star Empire became over its final century or so. Thus some (but by no means all) of our conversations in Rihan and in-character will naturally reflect our characters' political sentiments. Translations of these conversations will be provided, in order to help learners become familiar with the way the language fits together, the syntax of the language, the nominal and adjectival declensions, the verbal conjugations, etc.

As for Rihan ship names being used by other players, I have a page up at the Tal'Diann website which lists the names of all my main's ships, gives their meanings, and sometimes expounds upon the names and why I chose them for my ships (Rrhietir hrrau Ehrefvevha hir's'Gessatra ir'Virinat s't'Prell). As time goes on, I intend to include at least one screen shot of each of the ships; images are already there for some of them. A few of these names I am rather attached to, but I also am not and would not like to become so overly attached to them as to get upset that others might use them. If I were that attached to them, I would not publish a page with all of that information.

I'm also very serious about promoting the popularity of learning and use of the Rihan language, its expansion, and the increase in numbers of those who can communicate in that language. No good reason exists why the Klingon language should be more popular than Rihan, except for the more limited vocabulary available for Rihan and some mistakes in the preparation of the various past grammar guides and dictionaries, but those issues can be rectified with dedication, understanding, and information.

One of the Enriovir of the Tal'Diann ("Enriovir" is the plural nominative-accusative form of "Enriov," which means "Senior Commander," a rank equivalent to the Federation Starfleet rank of "Vice Admiral": a member of the Tal'Diann fleet who holds this Fleet Rank is part of the High Command of the Tal'Diann) is even working on a new guide for learners of Rihan, building upon the past efforts of others, with advice and assistance from members of the IRLI Google+ group. Ideally, each new guide of this type should be an improvement on any previous guides, learning from the mistakes of the past and correcting them. He's also working on a new Romulan font (a version is already prepared, but I believe that it's only the first version, and that changes will be made if testing of the font shows a need to make changes).

We are very interested in promoting Rihan, as I've said, and part of that process means getting more people involved in learning the language.

Off-topic: I like your new (Donatra) avatar much better than the previous (Caprica Six) avatar.
  • Options
    spoondogglespoondoggle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can I get a translation for the word Pheonix? Thanks Protogoth

Alth'indor

The phoenix is sometimes referred to as a firebird, so maybe the translation of firebird would correspond to phoenix? Of course, I guess it's possible that Alth'Indor is a translation of firebird, in which case I'll be quiet.
    I'm not a Romulan doctor, but I play one on STO.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Oh no, not at all! In fact, you'll see RRW Ra'kholh often anyway, as it is one of the random ship names that pops up when you buy a new ship. So no, feel free to use it all you like. :)
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I would totally love to join the Rihan language group.

Side-Note: New Romulus Command should be a second address for me I STO there so often.

• Options
    umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would totally love to join the Rihan language group.

Side-Note: New Romulus Command should be a second address for me I STO there so often.

Visit the group's G+ and there's a request an invitation button. We have the group set to invite only to keep trolls out and spam.

Right now we're working on a revised Romulan font (RihanEXT.ttf), based on the work of the old CDSR site, to better separate out things like aspiration and double consonants. The link for that is in the group as I do not like released "alpha" stuff until its better tested internally.

New Romulus Command is also my home away from home. That or hovering over the north pole cloaked to let my ship abilities reset.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    umiharayuu wrote: »
    Visit the group's G+ and there's a request an invitation button. We have the group set to invite only to keep trolls out and spam.

Right now we're working on a revised Romulan font (RihanEXT.ttf), based on the work of the old CDSR site, to better separate out things like aspiration and double consonants. The link for that is in the group as I do not like released "alpha" stuff until its better tested internally.

New Romulus Command is also my home away from home. That or hovering over the north pole cloaked to let my ship abilities reset.
    Sent a request, I'm the Blonde one

• Options
    umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sent a request, I'm the Blonde one

Added and,
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I was thinking about naming my Dhelan Ertrofit something alog the lines of "Dagger of the Republic" or "Dagger of Mol'Rihan" can you help me with that? thanks protogoth :)
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977