What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help from those fluent in Rihan!

13»

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    giotariz wrote: »
    I was thinking about naming my Dhelan Ertrofit something alog the lines of "Dagger of the Republic" or "Dagger of Mol'Rihan" can you help me with that? thanks protogoth :)
    yeah, i wouldn't mind hearing the rihan translation for dagger if it has one

i have a t'varo currently named Dagger's Edge, and i wouldn't mind having it as a proper name
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2014
    Im guessin yer gonna have to use something like 'Tiny Sword' for dagger but Im hardly one of the masters of the romulan tongue around here
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2014

i have a t'varo currently named Dagger's Edge, and i wouldn't mind having it as a proper name

A dagger is a double edge "knife" used for stabbing & thrusting while a knife's primary purpose is slash/cutting and is usually single edge.

Use "kaleh" which is Rihan for 'knife'. Romulans probably do not distinguish between a dagger and a knife.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The phoenix is sometimes referred to as a firebird, so maybe the translation of firebird would correspond to phoenix? Of course, I guess it's possible that Alth'Indor is a translation of firebird, in which case I'll be quiet.

"Alth'indor" is not found in the big dictionaries (those from the old IRLI/CSDR and the even older CIRL), nor are "alth" or "indor." It's mentioned in non-canonical literature (and the "Path to 2409," which is canon for STO), and you can find it given on some sites with an explanation something like "a mythical Romulan bird with similarities to the legendary Phoenix."

The generic word for "bird" is "dhael." There are specific birds as well, the "mogai" the "nnei'rh," the "hlai'hwy," etc. I would think that the best term for "bird" in the context of "bird of fire" would be the generic "dhael."

Rihan has three words for "fire." Ordinary, everyday "fire" such as one would use to cook food is "llair." "Plasma fire" is "ourai." The Element of Fire (a religious, or semi-religious, name) is "Okhala." The simplest way to say "firebird" is "Llair'Dhael" or "Okhala'Dhael." The second, "Okhala'Dhael," would be suitable for a "mythical" creature (where "mythical" is used properly), but if the idea is not inherently religious, then "legendary" would be a better way of seeing the creature, and that would be better represented by "Llair'Dhael." One could also say "Bird of Fire," which would be "Dhael Llairai" (if religious: "Dhael s'Okhala"). Arguably, both "Dhael Llairai" and "Dhael s'Llair" would work for a ship name, and I would probably go with "Dhael Llairai," unless I was calling the ship "Bird of Llair" where "Llair" is a personal name, but to remove the ambiguity, I would just go with "Llair'Dhael."
    edited March 2014
    giotariz wrote: »
    I was thinking about naming my Dhelan Ertrofit something alog the lines of "Dagger of the Republic" or "Dagger of Mol'Rihan" can you help me with that? thanks protogoth :)

I agree with D'Galan that "kaleh" ("knife") is probably your best bet for "dagger." The people at the old CIRL site were working on some additional material to update/expand their site, including a Rihan translation of Shakespeare's play "The Life and Death of Julius Caesar," in which the word "dagger" appears, but they didn't get that far in the translation before all work on the site ceased (for reasons unknown to me). Had they gotten to the point where Cassius was talking about wearing "this dagger," we would have their take on what a Rihan word for "dagger" might be. Without that, though, and without having worked on that particular idea at the new IRLI G+ Group, I would say that "knife" is suitable as a synonym, which gives us "kaleh."

With regard to "of the Republic," I have waffled a bit on whether or not to view "Republic" in this context as a proper noun. Ideally, in the context of a particular government with the word as a part of the official name of the nation-state, it should be a proper noun. If, on the other hand, we were talking about "a republic," just some form of government rather than a particular government of a particular people, it should be viewed as a common noun. So in the context of "Dagger of the Republic" referring to a specific republic, that is, "the Republic" (of New Romulus), I think seeing the word as a proper noun is correct. The result, then, would be:
    "Kaleh s'Kreh'Dhhokh" = "Dagger of the Republic."
    Unfortunately, this is too long for a ship name, due to the limits on ship name length imposed by the game mechanics.

"Dagger of Mol'Rihan" presents a different challenge. The correct name of the planet should be "ch'Mol'Rihan," which literally means "of [the] New Romulans." This type of name is idiomatic in Rihan and leaves as not explicit what exactly the x of the New Romulans is, but in the context of a planet, the obvious meaning is implicitly "planet" ("euhre") or "world" ("rehvie"), the distinction being that "planet" refers to a concrete thing (a huge rock in space, more or less), and "world" refers to an abstract system (whether that be political, economic, social, cultural, religious, etc). In the case of "New Romulus," it could be either the new home itself (and thus "planet") or the new system of government, the Republic (and thus "world"). To express "of New Romulus" would look a bit awkward: "s'ch'Rihan," which means literally "of ___ of [the] New Romulans." That does not mean that it would look awkward to a native speaker of Rihan, of course, and I think I've used it somewhere in the past. But you could also say simply "Dagger of the New Romulans" ("Kaleh ch'Mol'Rihan") which might be taken to convey the same ideal (again, though, too long for a ship name). However, I would recommend rather a phrase like "New Romulan Dagger," which would be "Kaleh Mol'Rihan" (and which is short enough for a ship name).
    edited March 2014

Edge of [the/a] Dagger = Oikoumene Kalehn
    edited March 2014
    Sent a request, I'm the Blonde one

Aefvadh hrrafv mnei efvir.
    (Be-welcome to/inside our group.)