What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gravimetric torpedo: your opinion.

2»

Comments

• wr3knar21wr3knar21 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just to add another bit of spice to the GW + TS + GravPhoton combo;

On my Pallisade build, I throw on the Spatial Charges console as well. It works nicely in the CE/Fleet Defense event where you can find a target that isn't going to die instantaneously. Sure its a little gimmicky, but going all in like that gets pretty obscene. I've seen Fleet Defense attacking waves drop almost instantly.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    momaw wrote: »
    If it can't compete with other torpedo launchers without hyper specialized builds, then it's not worth carrying since there exist launchers that work fine without investment into particle generators and without sacrificing a LTC tactical slot to torpedo spread.

I am grinding out this torpedo right now for my Intrepid (and possibly the Vesta later). Should be fun by what I read here.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One extra piece of advice for the gravimetric torpedo: Use it with Photonic Shockwave.
    Great synergy between those two.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    One extra piece of advice for the gravimetric torpedo: Use it with Photonic Shockwave.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. >:)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Gravimetic torpedo is designed for crowd control.. not damage. It is a torpedo that controls crowds.. and maybe does damage if it hits bare hull.

This thread is like saying that Beam Overload does not do enough to stop a Borg Probe from reaching the gate. That's not what it was designed for.

For a crowd control wizard like myself, it is a great boost because now I can use one of my near useless weapons slots and make it do something useful to my goal. Give my poor deflector dish a break.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,474 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    When I get this torp on my Romulan, I'm gonna try putting it on the back, so I can whammy enemies with a torp spread after using Singularity Jump. Might be good for teh lulz at least.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    The Gravimetic torpedo is designed for crowd control.. not damage. It is a torpedo that controls crowds.. and maybe does damage if it hits bare hull.

This thread is like saying that Beam Overload does not do enough to stop a Borg Probe from reaching the gate. That's not what it was designed for.

For a crowd control wizard like myself, it is a great boost because now I can use one of my near useless weapons slots and make it do something useful to my goal. Give my poor deflector dish a break.

Says you...
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't say this out-loud, lest they start nerfing again, but Gravimetric Photon torp + GW + TS3 = utterly devestating combo. Multiple Gravity Wells on top of each other, cross-mojonation, everything dies... fast.

Is what it's about.

The rifts only last like 2 seconds, that's way less than a GW but each rift, if specced into particle generators does a little over 1k through shield damage per tic. That combined with GW does some considerable hull damage, all through shields. Add in a dyson science console or two and you start getting some nice proton procs too. :)
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited March 2014
    In my opinion, it is the best torpedo in the game, with the Romulan Plasma edging it out with more gear investment. Why is it the best? Several reasons:

1.) The rifts that it causes are boosted by parti gens and grav gens. If you're playing anything that uses CC abilities, then this torp is for you.

2.) Pairing it with the Proton Particle Stabilizer nets you 22.9% bonus damage on the torp, as well as a massive 3% crit chance boost. This alone is great, but if you also pair it with the Adapted Omega / KHG set, you gain an additional 25% torpedo damage, granting you essentially 48% bonus damage on the torpedo.

3.) It's a photon torpedo, meaning it hit hard to begin with, and has a pretty decent recharge.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    questerius wrote: »

Bah, I never thought to try that. I have that console too. Gonna have to see how that works now lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It works great for a torpedo-bomber shuttle. :cool:
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    matrix0 wrote: »
    Imo, it's just a photon torpedo with 33% creating a rift, which is totally crappy and not useful in combat. The reload time is 10s which is double of photon. I have a torp boat with 3 purple projectile boff+2 photon torpedos, that fire 1 photon torpedo/s. Hence, the dps is awesome with the proton beam+console. I was planning to use the full set. However, the dps is greatly reduced with the gravimetric torpedo. Personally, I think the cd needs to be reduced, or the dmg needs to be increased. Otherwise, it's worthless.

I am sad it is not a [ARC] launcher.

It would have gone well with the "Bulwark Ridiculous Launcher of Doom".
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think this torpedo is a blast. ;)
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just want it to be green instead of red for romulan characters. If I have to lose the plasma look as far as stat wise issues with proton damage I would like to atleast like to make my torps seem somewhat romulan lol.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In my opinion, it is the best torpedo in the game, with the Romulan Plasma edging it out with more gear investment. Why is it the best? Several reasons:

1.) The rifts that it causes are boosted by parti gens and grav gens. If you're playing anything that uses CC abilities, then this torp is for you.

2.) Pairing it with the Proton Particle Stabilizer nets you 22.9% bonus damage on the torp, as well as a massive 3% crit chance boost. This alone is great, but if you also pair it with the Adapted Omega / KHG set, you gain an additional 25% torpedo damage, granting you essentially 48% bonus damage on the torpedo.

3.) It's a photon torpedo, meaning it hit hard to begin with, and has a pretty decent recharge.

You forgot to mention when using the 3pc. set it not only boosts photon torpedo damage by 22.9%, it also grants you a universal 3% crit chance + a 10% crit chance and 10% crit severity for photon torpedoes.

Now couple this with the adapted maco/khg 2pc. set for an additional 25% torpedo damage boost, and the grav torpedoes base 6% crit chance you come out with a already high base damage photon torpedo with a minimum +19% crith, and +10% critd with an enormous crew loss %.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I use this torpedo on my Fleet Nebula and I must say this torp is the best torp I have EVER used
  • arpeggionearpeggione Member Posts: 0
    edited March 2014
    Hello,

I would like to make a comparison between Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher & the Gravimetric Photon Torpedo.

Infected: The Conduit (Elite) DPS Table
    http://i.imgur.com/ZbzxxdD.png

Notes
    1. Only Torpedo Spread I is used.
    2. I have 0 points in Starship Projectile Weapons & Starship Projectile Weapons Specialization.
    3. For the first 8 results, I used 2 piece borg set, full Romulan Singularity Set, and Adapted Maco shields. I have no tactical consoles that boost plasma projectile damage.
    4. For the next 8 results, I used 2 piece borg set, 2 piece protonic arsenal: Gravimetric Torpedo + Photon Particle Stabilizer, and Elite fleet shields. I have no tactical consoles that boosts photon projectile damage.
    5. Gravimetric Photon Torpedo, Gravimetric Photon Torpedo - Spread I, and Gravimetric Rift damage are all added together.
    6. I use STO-CombatLogReader on DPS-Channel Settings
    7. I run a fleet avenger.

Conclusion
    Having an Gravimetric Photon Torpedo does not necessarily mean one would lose DPS. Furthermore, Gravimetric Photon projectiles are fast moving and cannot be shot down. It is more important to choose a torpedo that matches one's play-style or ship build.

I hope this comparison clears up some misunderstandings.
    Also, if anyone is interested, one can check out my V.A.T.A. & Bio-neural Warhead comparison. c:
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Gravimetric Torpedoes can be fairly effective on their own. But you DO need to spec Gravity Well and Particle Generators Skills for effect. Once you do that, they become more effective.

But, any real follower of the Church of the Dyson Gravimetric Torpedo knows that the weapon's true potential is realized alongside CC abilities that clump targets together, whether you do it yourself or someone else does (laying Grav Well, someone clumping targets together with DOFF'ed TBR, etc).

CC + Grav Torp, fired in either Torp Spread or on a High Yield attack run, is one of the very few 1-2 combos that literally will wipe out an entire wave of NPCs when those Rifts pop. The beauty is that you absolutely do not care what shield status the targets have.

In PVE, this is Godly.

In PVP though, where players have a say and have escapes and counters, it's a bad technique unless they've exhausted escapes and are pinned.
    XzRTofz.gif