test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ARC Roumors

brew8brew8 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
I have been watching what people have been saying about the new Arc Launcher full of spywear or watching ecttt. So I decided to do some research on profe of this, there is only if you enable it. I was told profe is read the agreement, well I read it and other stuff posted there is no true profe like actually profe in coding or anything but here is what I have learned.
According to the Lisense Agreement There is a option that is supose to be off by defualt that well watch your browser only gathering performance, not your personal information, just PC INFO. I have no clue if this is full truth, but I want Profie of this so called spywear recording your personal info like what websites or/and anything you do on your pc, I am asking for sold programing profe, all I read is hear say, it reminds me of when steam was first out how they came up with crazy rummors too.
Post edited by brew8 on

Comments

• firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    brew8 wrote: »
    I have been watching what people have been saying about the new Arc Launcher full of spywear or watching ecttt. So I decided to do some research on profe of this, there is only if you enable it. I was told profe is read the agreement, well I read it and other stuff posted there is no true profe like actually profe in coding or anything but here is what I have learned.
    According to the Lisense Agreement There is a option that is supose to be off by defualt that well watch your browser only gathering performance, not your personal information, just PC INFO. I have no clue if this is full truth, but I want Profie of this so called spywear recording your personal info like what websites or/and anything you do on your pc, I am asking for sold programing profe, all I read is hear say, it reminds me of when steam was first out how they came up with crazy rummors too.

Yeah not seeing the spyware stuff but I will agree with the resource eating I have heard about and seen. Its PWEs way of trying to get you to play their other grind happy P2W games that bilk you for your cash.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Spyware, I'll leave that to the experts. But ARC did eat up my computer's resources like others said it did. Brand new computer and I was getting constant high usage warnings. Also, I wasn't happy when it installed BHO (Browser Helper Objects) on my Internet Browsers without my authorization.

As for ARC itself, it was not very user friendly at all. And I am not really interested in playing the other Perfect World games.

So after experiencing it for myself, I joined the No to ARC campaign.
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I believe the biggest anti-ARC argument isn't so much about spyware or viruses or anything, who knows, it may be 100% clean and safe, that's beside the point, the point most people have is that they just may not want to play any of the other games and therefore have no need for any sort of 3rd party launchers. Maybe they just want to log onto and play STO. Personally, that's all I want, just to play this one PWE game, I could care less about their other games and have far more useful ways to use the hard drive space. If anyone else wants to use ARC, sure, by all means do, but the rest of us don't want it crammed down our throats and be forced to use it or leave the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014

What vermatrix said is true, but I think a lot of the rumors are pretty much paranoid attacks and tin-foil hat sayings.
  • tecbulltecbull Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Last week I pulled a new computer out of it's box, let it load, installed ARC for the goodies, and loaded STO. I played long enough to get the freebies for all my toons, exited STO and ARC, and removed ARC. It took less than an hour to do all this and I can play without a hint of ARC. ARC DOES take a lot of resources on a less-than higher grade machine, but it was easy to do away with.
    Oil, because Matter-Antimatter reactors haven't been invented yet... Please Hurry!
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tecbull wrote: »
    Last week I pulled a new computer out of it's box, let it load, installed ARC for the goodies, and loaded STO. I played long enough to get the freebies for all my toons, exited STO and ARC, and removed ARC. It took less than an hour to do all this and I can play without a hint of ARC. ARC DOES take a lot of resources on a less-than higher grade machine, but it was easy to do away with.

Another method if you have the experience is to go to the installation folder and make a shortcut to bypass ARC altogether. If you don't have an install somewhere.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    Spyware, I'll leave that to the experts. But ARC did eat up my computer's resources like others said it did. Brand new computer and I was getting constant high usage warnings. Also, I wasn't happy when it installed BHO (Browser Helper Objects) on my Internet Browsers without my authorization.

As for ARC itself, it was not very user friendly at all. And I am not really interested in playing the other Perfect World games.

So after experiencing it for myself, I joined the No to ARC campaign.
    Um, technically you DID authorize ARC to install the BHOs. :P Anyways, I'm not sure of their exact function, but it appears that both ARC and the regular launcher are actually browser windows.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so my question is this.. if its not spyware.. what in the hell is eating up all the recources when arc is on... I have since removed it from my computer since I use tridef to launch my game..

there is definatly more than what they are telling us going on with that platform..

also, this new arc website sucks.. took me twice as long just to get to the forums.. basically took me for a stroll through all the pwe games I will never ever play...
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    also, this new arc website sucks.. took me twice as long just to get to the forums.. basically took me for a stroll through all the pwe games I will never ever play...
    That is odd. The redirect took me directly to the ARC STO page, and there was a very big Forum button near the top to click on, right between News and Guides. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Indeed, right now space on my SSD is at a premuim, I don't want to spend the space on something that i'm unlikely to want or need anytime soon
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For all these rumors, how do we know these people didn't pickup spyware somewhere else? (Note: Steam user)
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    so my question is this.. if its not spyware.. what in the hell is eating up all the recources when arc is on... I have since removed it from my computer since I use tridef to launch my game..

there is definatly more than what they are telling us going on with that platform..

Known features of ARC include a messenger service that can message anyone using ARC, regardless of what game they play. This seems to work a lot like an email app.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another method if you have the experience is to go to the installation folder and make a shortcut to bypass ARC altogether. If you don't have an install somewhere.

How do you patch then?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited February 2014
    Um, technically you DID authorize ARC to install the BHOs. :P Anyways, I'm not sure of their exact function, but it appears that both ARC and the regular launcher are actually browser windows.

Fine print, huh?

But I would like for them to disclose that information. ARC is a stand alone browser, so why is it on IE, Chrome, and Firefox? All the more suspicious.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    ARC is a stand alone browser, so why is it on IE, Chrome, and Firefox? All the more suspicious.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to insinuate.

I don't use Arc, but the Steam web browser is IE-based. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the Arc browser is similar.

It's also not remotely surprising that Arc also has a stand-alone web site which can be accessed by any browser, and allows users to make purchases. Again, you can buy games through Steam's web site without launching Steam, or even having it installed.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This thread confirms all my fears that Arc is bloat ware that will slow down an already laggy game. Cryptic will get no subscription from meas long as the threat of Arc becoming mandatory is there, I am a paying customer (Still just a silver account but I buy things) but this bloat ware will make me leave the game.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
    edited February 2014
    Cryptic will get no subscription from meas long as the threat of Arc becoming mandatory is there, I am a paying customer (Still just a silver account but I buy things) but this bloat ware will make me leave the game.

It's not a threat. They've plainly stated that it will become mandatory for all users other than Steam users.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    It's not a threat. They've plainly stated that it will become mandatory for all users other than Steam users.

I have played the game running steam but who wants some TRIBBLE running when you are gaming? Thedyson ground zone is so choppy it can get nearly unplayable at times.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
    edited February 2014
    I have played the game running steam but who wants some TRIBBLE running when you are gaming? Thedyson ground zone is so choppy it can get nearly unplayable at times.

That sucks. I play on Steam without any noticeable performance issues.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Been using ARC since day 1 that it was first released on beta. No performance issues. Doesn't use that much of my resources. ARC is not bloat ware as it does not even meet the requirements of what bloat ware is. Never had a single issue using ARC to launch any of my games. You can even add short cuts to other non-pwe/cryptic games so if you play other games like single player games. You can put the short cut on the ARC launcher and remove the short cuts off your desktop screen.
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    According to the Lisense Agreement

You are aware that every single License Agreement has a clause that allows the license holder to completely ignore the License Agreement and do whatever the scrap they feel like to you, right?

In the case of the Arc software:
    PWE MAY AMEND OR MODIFY THIS AGREEMENT (AND THE TERMS OF SERVICE AND ANY OTHER RELATED AGREEMENTS OR TERMS) AT ANY TIME IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION. AMENDMENTS AND MODIFICATIONS WILL BE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AFTER PUBLISHING THEM ON THE WEBSITE OR OTHERWISE PROVIDING YOU A COPY THEREOF, AND YOU WAIVE ANY RIGHT YOU MAY HAVE TO RECEIVE SPECIFIC NOTICE OF SUCH CHANGES OR MODIFICATIONS.

Translation: We can change the rules whenever we feel like it, you automatically agree to any and all changes the nanosecond we change it and post it here, and you agree that we don't have to tell you anything about it.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ArcPluginIEBHO seems to be a legit Browser Helper Object. It's unclear to me what it does exactly, so I disabled the plugin anyway (figuring I see no reason why Arc needs to monitor *anything* in my browser).

As for Arc itself, I've always been vehemently opposed to it. Still am. But, truth be told, it's pretty slick for a third-party launcher, and pretty light-weight (despite claims to the contrary). Origin launcher, to name another one, is a lot messier and intrusive.

My main gripe with Arc is that I'm not interested in PWE's other games. And, on principle, I don't like the idea of every game maker out there providing their own launcher platform. I'm sure doing so is a marketing's wet dream, where you can spam people with ads, various info, news, and make it a whole portal, as it were; but, as a user, I'm not interested in that. As a gamer I just want 'One Platform to Rule Them All,' as it were; and, for me, that's STEAM.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You are aware that every single License Agreement has a clause that allows the license holder to completely ignore the License Agreement and do whatever the scrap they feel like to you, right?

*snip*

Translation: We can change the rules whenever we feel like it, you automatically agree to any and all changes the nanosecond we change it and post it here, and you agree that we don't have to tell you anything about it.

This.

/10char

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited February 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to insinuate.

Not insinuating anything. It's a fact that ARC loaded BHOs on my web browser.

I'm not sure its safe to remove using BHO Removal tools without affecting ARC itself. And given we can access the website without it, I'm not sure why they even have it in the installation.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    ArcPluginIEBHO seems to be a legit Browser Helper Object. It's unclear to me what it does exactly, so I disabled the plugin anyway (figuring I see no reason why Arc needs to monitor *anything* in my browser).

I did the same, I couldn't trust it as much as I can throw it.
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    Been using ARC since day 1 that it was first released on beta. No performance issues. Doesn't use that much of my resources. ARC is not bloat ware as it does not even meet the requirements of what bloat ware is. Never had a single issue using ARC to launch any of my games. You can even add short cuts to other non-pwe/cryptic games so if you play other games like single player games. You can put the short cut on the ARC launcher and remove the short cuts off your desktop screen.

This is 100% true
  • aarek1987aarek1987 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

In the case of the Arc software:

Just another example of why PWE is going to TRIBBLE Cryptic over in the end.

Heck, even EA sends out notices when they update their EULA/ToS on things.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I installed it because of the Hairstyle with the new outfit & used it a few times to start STO & CO with it. While I do like how it looks I really dislike the resource drain it causes. So no thanks. Avoiding it for now.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so ive ran steam on my main here and ARC on the backup for a short time, in the time i had it on the backup computer the game stuttered, was slow and generally i found it irritating, after finding a cryptic launcher i could use, i removed arc and put the launcher on it, now it no longer stutters and slow taking up computer resources.

on my main ive had steam on it for a while and have reports no problems about it at all, it certainly doesnt take up resources in the same way ARC does and its not as intrusive by wanting to stay in the background and not filling the launcher up with adverts.

now if it contains all those nasties your writing about, ARC needs to be independently tested and verified. If PWE decides to or not is not my concern as i dont run it any more. however i was told a while back that PWE intention was not to fill it with such stuff, however intentions are one thing, nor do i wish a second argument about it.

as for EULA changes, not even EA has to announce to the community its making changes, they can do so without your consent or knowledge and PWE has chosen not to, so it shouldnt take long to find the EULA and ToS and keep an eye on any changes.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rhoric wrote: »

The post above was totally not paid for by PWE .

... like totally dudes ... :D