test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Website migration

sparkiesoftsparkiesoft Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 47
Hey Captains!

As you can tell, STO has been officially migrated over to the new Arc website layout. You will now automatically be redirected to this site and no longer the old one. We want to inform you that this does NOT mean Arc is mandatory, and that you can still access your games through the old launchers. As always, we are aware of player concerns, so if you have any feedback or questions, let us know.

Thanks,

Sparkiesoft and the Arc Team
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new layout looks fine, I guess. Any chance the Server Status widget will be incorporated?
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't like the new layout. At all. If you're going to shove ARC down our throats, at least make it halfway usable, please. Have the new site mimic the old one, so as to not break continuity.
  • dmfreddie_1426533189dmfreddie_1426533189 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Agreed with the server stats, plus please give us the option to change some colour schemes...at least away from grey... :/
    Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is it deliberate or just an unfortunate side-effect of bad design that it's so hard to find the forums the first time you're dragged onto the new web site?
  • bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Did in-game chat server also migrate over to Arc too, :confused:, so we going to use the new forum as the new in-game chat??:P
  • klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new arc web site that we are diverted to now feels like a meaningless mish-mash of content modules that tries to have this App-like continuity about it.

I think new players would be incredible confused about how to get the content they want, learn about the game, and not be bombarded with all of the other content from PWE trying to get us to play their other games too.

The branding much less doesn't even feel Star Trek. Where's the big Star Trek logo?

There are a few things that are nice, like the big content scroller at the top. But other than that...I'm not in love with it.

-Klintobean
    edited February 2014
    dmfreddie wrote: »
    Agreed with the server stats, plus please give us the option to change some colour schemes...at least away from grey... :/

Until/unless PWE does something of this sort, there's this answer that's working well for many of us.
  • r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    if its not mandatory how come we cant acess the sto site without it
    edited February 2014
    Until/unless PWE does something of this sort, there's this answer that's working well for many of us.

Ohh thanks :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • incinerator1incinerator1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    instead of of a proper "migration" of the sto website
    you managed to transform a fast and tidy website with neatly arrange categories and information into a chaotic cluttered and (very) slow one...
    a clear backstep, especially for people interested in important daily or weekly news about the game (patches, events etc.)
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As soon as they install an RSS Feed we'll no longer have to visit the Gray Void of Chaotic Blandness for updates and information.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's ugly, it looks unprofessional, it's hard to use, it's buggy, I don't see why we had to change...

In a nutshell, I hate it and I want to go back to the old version. If I were a new player, seeing the new website, I would not want to play STO. The new website does not do a good job of representing the game's high quality.

In fact, I'm bookmarking the forums so that I can avoid the mess that is the new website entirely.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's very depressing. It looks dystopian and totalitarian. The Star Trek pictures highlight the contrasts between 1984 and GR's universe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is it deliberate or just an unfortunate side-effect of bad design that it's so hard to find the forums the first time you're dragged onto the new web site?
    Hold on, it's too difficult to see the big Forum word next to the News word on the new version of the site? Are you really trying to get people to believe that it's too difficult to find? If you are trying to do that, you're not doing a good enough job, as it's clear as crystal where the forum link is.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dear Cryptic -

Thanks for joining PWE's ARC program. Nothing quite like being directed to an sto.perfectworld.com page for transferring to tribble only to have arc's javascript pop up and go "BOO! YOU GET TO GO BACK TO ARC'S PAGE! WHAT WHAT!!!"

So much failure, deployment after deployment. The joy of it.
    edited February 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    You can also bookmark the forums to bypass Arkham.

Aye, did that long ago. (Too often the main site was dog-slow but once it was bypassed the forums were fine.)
    Hold on, it's too difficult to see the big Forum word next to the News word on the new version of the site? Are you really trying to get people to believe that it's too difficult to find? If you are trying to do that, you're not doing a good enough job, as it's clear as crystal where the forum link is.

Apparently it is- why don't you helpfully screenshot it for me: http://www.arcgames.com/en

And to be clear, in a real web browser- not ARC.
    edited February 2014
    r24681012 wrote: »

Um, wut? :confused:

Yeah, it took me maybe five seconds to find the spot where it said "Forum."

It seems to me that some people are confusing accessing the web site with accessing the website through Arc, which I know nothing about.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't mind arc..i mean its ok..but THIS?...call me odd but this totally sucks that trek feel...im totally lost..everythings a mess...I hope either A: they fix this, or B: give us an an option to go back to the original site..i personally liked it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sparkiesoftsparkiesoft Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 47
    edited February 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    The new layout looks fine, I guess. Any chance the Server Status widget will be incorporated?

I've made a note of that and will bring it up next meeting I'm in.
    bladewolf5 wrote: »
    Did in-game chat server also migrate over to Arc too, :confused:, so we going to use the new forum as the new in-game chat??:P

No, that's a separate issue altogether that we're looking into.
    r24681012 wrote: »

Launching games using Arc is not mandatory. The new website, which is separate from the launcher is what I was referring to. While you can no longer access the old website (As others pointed out you can), you can still launch STO from the old clients without the use of Arc.
    edited February 2014
    Aye, did that long ago. (Too often the main site was dog-slow but once it was bypassed the forums were fine.)

Apparently it is- why don't you helpfully screenshot it for me: http://www.arcgames.com/en

Wrong URL: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I had a big constructive feedback post, but I accidentally hit refresh and lost it all. I would type it back up, but I really don't feel that it's worth it because it'll almost certainly be ignored.

I'm probably falling on deaf ears here, but if you (the people who designed this new website) ask me, I'll retype it. That's all I want, an acknowledgement that you'll listen to feedback and give it more than a "yeah whatever, who cares" thought.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited February 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Wrong URL: [URL=""][/URL]

That's the URL the old STO website redirected me to. Now let's see some screenshots of that Forum button. Put up or shut up.
  • galr25galr25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Change it back and burn this farce of a new site.
  • roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    (The below in the [] brackets is copied directly from a "review" I sent through Arc)

[Before we start, have ANY of you actually read the forums and seen the general hatred of Arc?

Ok, general message over, now for the real issue.
    As of 21st Feb 00:19 GMT, you have closed down the STO website (despite actually updating it with blog posts) and forced those of us who want to read the patch notes and blog posts into using Arc which seems to spend most of it's time loading POINTLESS decoration resulting in extra slow loading times. Not to mention the poor layout which does not make finding Patch Notes readily avaliable.

Now, I understand that it costs money to develop the bad steam rip-off that is Arc (although being fair, it's much better than EA's steam rip-off that is called Origin) and to also host websites, but cutting the one that people like and use (the website) and focusing on the one that most people see no point in using (Arc, and this issue is much more noticeable for those who play games via Steam (which have I mentioned you are trying to copy?).

Let's go through benefits and flaws now.
    Benefits. Arc allows you to chat with others BUT only for those who play PWE games, making this service much more pointless than Steam which runs most, if not all, games. The buying ZEN is pointless as this can be done in-game.

Flaws. Arc slows computer performance by running additional processes which could be crippling to users with old PCs. Arc is still in Beta, so forcing users to use it to view websites is illogical..

Character Limit Reached.]

I find little I can add to this, except now I have seen the site it does NOT automatically redirect you to. So here are a few issues I had.

News: The news segment used to be the highlight of the old site, now it's a tiny little box shoved on the side. So our important news has been shoved to the side so that we can see a generic intro and system requirements, because that's what people who have the game want to see.
    Patch Notes: Where the **** have these gone? I know they are on the forums, but the very nature of the forums makes them difficullt to quickly find and read.
    Layout: Pitiful, as I have already mentioned, anything actual players want to read is off to the side in small text while the newbie information, which have I mentioned is very generic?, takes up the vast majority of the page. The entire page feels like one giant generic corporate blot, you could've at least TRIED to make it look Star Trek. Looking at the page as a Trekkie without images, I see a generic space MMO, not a Star Trek MMO.

I am surprised that the team behind Arc can be so blind, see the general hatred, listen to what players are saying rather than basing decisions built solely on statistics (guess what, just because people download Arc just claim it's freebies doesn't mean they want it or use it).

Must we become a collective and assimilate your minds into ours to make you see reason?
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
    edited February 2014
    That's the URL the old STO website redirected me to. Now let's see some screenshots of that Forum button. Put up or shut up.

I actually just saw the issue. When I first followed the automatic redirect from the old URL, it led me to the STO news page, here. This is the URL that has a prominent forum button.

However, I later tried a second time, clicking the big giant "Go to ARC games" button, which I assume lots of people are going to click. On account of it being big and giant and looking like a standard "Click here if you don't want to wait 5 seconds" button. I was redirected to the STO product page, here. There is a much smaller forum link, a lot harder to find (I missed it the first time around), and I agree it's confusing.

Apologies to alojshammer - this needs to be improved.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    the re-direct should be instant instead of a count down, the old site should be shut down completely in the process.

ive had no problem navigating to the forums as the very limited experience i glanced over the other day on arc before i threw it off the backup computer (but it helped there), apart from tha,t will have to see what changes are made in due time from PWE. for now its too cluttered, the news section especially is all over the place.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited February 2014
    Something minor that I've just noticed under guides and then twitch the description says Branflakes when I'm thinking its now going to be captainsmirk....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Holy TRIBBLE... I didn't realize that they would be pushing us to use Arc so aggressively. What? The two free items that people logged on to get and then deleted Arc didn't give you the hint? You had to move the entire website to show us the big ARC symbol instead of STO? You do realize that most of your players don't want this, don't you?
    edited February 2014
    enoemg wrote: »
    Holy TRIBBLE... I didn't realize that they would be pushing us to use Arc so aggressively. What? The two free items that people logged on to get and then deleted Arc didn't give you the hint? You had to move the entire website to show us the big ARC symbol instead of STO? You do realize that most of your players don't want this, don't you?
    1. This thread is about the web site, not the Arc client.
    2. Arc is going to be mandatory for everyone but Steam users, so they really don't need to "push" it on anybody.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the new site...Looks modern unlike the old site....also i can scroll down and it automatically shows me past news blogs without me having to click on the stupid page numbers.
    GwaoHAD.png