What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Website migration

Comments

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the new site...Looks modern unlike the old site....also i can scroll down and it automatically shows me past news blogs without me having to click on the stupid page numbers.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    First we need the server status widget back. Without it we have to continuously load the launcher to see what the status is and that gets old FAST!

Second we need a way to access the information thats on it. I tried to see the Vet rewards, I found the link after blundering around that monstrosity for a bit, clicked it, guess what I got sent back to the start.

Third what about the my account button that used to be at the top of the forums page? You know the one that you used to check account status how many days you have been subscribed. Key redemption?

Why is that gone?

Transfer character to tribble?

Im to tired to go on you get the picture.

These are things we NEED!

As for the website.

Overall it looks good, (If your viewing it on IPAD) except for the fact that just glancing at the site you would have no idea it was Star Trek related let alone the actual site for Star Trek Online. The contrast between the grey and black is so hard on the eyes though. It is so hard to navigate through and with all the pictures showing up it makes it a big mess to try and find what your looking for.

Overall I give it 5 out of ten with ten being the best for looks ( I think I am being generous with that.)
    Usability I give you 1 out of ten.

Thats my feed back.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    It's ugly, it looks unprofessional, it's hard to use, it's buggy, I don't see why we had to change...

In a nutshell, I hate it and I want to go back to the old version. If I were a new player, seeing the new website, I would not want to play STO. The new website does not do a good job of representing the game's high quality.

In fact, I'm bookmarking the forums so that I can avoid the mess that is the new website entirely.

Will bookmark the forums, they may be visually bland, but at least they work, for now.
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I never really visit the website itself, so it has little effect on me...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2014
    Without it we have to continuously load the launcher to see what the status is...

In the meantime, you can also check via this link on any internet browser: http://launcher.startrekonline.com/launcher

You won't be able to log in via that link, though. It's just the web version of the launcher.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    edit: Here, I'll be a little less melodramatic, eh?

Did you guys not take note of the backlash that Microsoft got with Windows 8 and Metro with the tiles? Sure, things may have been fine/awesome for their Phone and Surface users; but there was backlash from PC users. You need to consider your audience.

Perhaps I'm just old...one of those old folks people just wait to die off...but I still do the vast majority of my actual browsing with a PC (whether desktop or laptop) and not with a phone or a tablet.

The new site is obviously a tablet site and not a PC site...why wasn't the potential audience considered before making the change? Why not offer both to both audiences?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    trying to scroll to the ToS just to keep updated incase of any changes has become very difficult to accomplish, it seems everytime i think i scrolled to the bottom more news stuff appears and its going back over half a year so far. looks like it will go all the way back to beta blogs at this rate if such thing existed.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Can you guys do one little, teensy-winsey little favor for me? And maybe the rest of the fan base?

See under the Arc logo? There's a little phrase written out that says "Star Trek Online". See it? Good.

Now, I want you to erase it and put the actual logo there. Do you think you can do that? It would REALLY help.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When did web progress start mean, more clicking to do. It's different. It's not better.
  • Options
    unionmasterunionmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just bad design all around. Though that is what i expected from PWE. Be not Cryptic itself
  • Options
    roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In the meantime, you can also check via this link on any internet browser: http://launcher.startrekonline.com/launcher

You won't be able to log in via that link, though. It's just the web version of the launcher.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's helpful actually, forums, news, patch notes. It even has a Trek theme, it's perfect.

Thanks for giving us the solution Bran. :)
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just bad design all around. Though that is what i expected from PWE. Be not Cryptic itself

Cryptic is PWE, like Bioware is EA, just a name they use for different offices.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    New STO site sucks. And it's like they are teasing you by letting you see the old site as the redirect countdown is counting down. "Look there's the good site, nah nah na-na nah! :P"

Boxes everywhere. Is it suppose to look like Windows 8? Not a fan.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ewww, just ewww.
    Arc site is so incredibly un-trek that its not even funny. :(
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Can you guys do one little, teensy-winsey little favor for me? And maybe the rest of the fan base?

See under the Arc logo? There's a little phrase written out that says "Star Trek Online". See it? Good.

Now, I want you to erase it and put the actual logo there. Do you think you can do that? It would REALLY help.

Yes! This please. For love of Vulcan.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Sadly I don't think Cryptic has any say whatsoever about it. :(
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It's very depressing. It looks dystopian and totalitarian.

Welcome to communism, comrade! PWE is a Chinese company. Not exactly 1 billion free-thinkers there.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new main STO ARC web site is very Wind'ohs 8 App-like. It looks fine enough looking I guess, though all the grey coloring is dull. I couldn't find a link on the new page to get to the forums. I tried under Social (what seemed to me to be the "obvious" choice), but it wasn't there.

Fortunately I've got a bookmark direct to the forums. These still look ugly as sin (dull/washed out).

I really no likey.

:(

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Welcome to communism, comrade! PWE is a Chinese company. Not exactly 1 billion free-thinkers there.

last i checked they were publicly traded, not very communistic, but very Greedy like the Americans
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Um... I can't seem to find any information about what the Foundry is. Where is the user guide? What if I'm curious about the Foundry? I don't see anything that looks like website support for the Foundry.

No tutorials, no official user guide, nothing. It makes sense, I guess, since you've been heading in that direction for years. But, maybe the least you could do is direct folks to Starbase UGC since that is where they'll have to go to know anything about how to make a Foundry mission.

Zero Foundry support or information other than the spotlights. Clearly, it's not very important to PWI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ^^^ I totally noticed that too. No mention of the Foundry.^^^

I think this is a travesty. Some of the best content and creativity from the Foundry authors is one of the best aspects of this game.

Please add a section about the Foundry on the new web site please.

-Klintobean
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Until PWE/Cryptic get's their collective heads out of their [Redacted], i'll be using the Stylish addon and this tip to revert to the old style:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=15156361#post15156361

I'd suggest others revert to the old style as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I guess there is a section for the Foundry spotlights which is good.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3027483

But besides that, I don't see any guides about the Foundry?

-Klintobean
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It don't bother me, but I would like themes. So you can pick one you like. Like a Fed, KDF, or Romulan one.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I actually just saw the issue. When I first followed the automatic redirect from the old URL, it led me to the STO news page, here. This is the URL that has a prominent forum button.

-nod- I found that page after a little futzing around.
    Apologies to alojshammer - this needs to be improved.

Apology accepted but unnecessary, forum disputes aren't all that.

But yeah, I was pretty sure I wasn't going insane. Well...any more insane would be more accurate I suppose. ;)
  • Options
    tardis70tardis70 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am all for improving the web site and the game but I don't use the arc layout in the arc launcher for news or info on the game. just for launching the game its self. I would always go to the web site because it looked better and A LOT LESS confusing. Why must every one force the stupid layout of a smart phone/ tablet on everyone. I can learn to use this new site but I would prefer to go back to the old one.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It is also pretty amazing that PWE has created a website for a game that doesn't answer a single question that a prospective user might have, like:

What is Star Trek Online?
    How much does it cost?
    How does the economy work?
    What is the Foundry?

You have created a blog without a sidebar or a good number of pages. Users might learn something about the game if they navigated to:

http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online

At least that site explains something about the game. To learn something about the game, I have to navigate away from the game's website.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jkbennett2008jkbennett2008 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I personally don't mind using Arc to log into the game. It isn't my first choice, but I was okay with it.

I am not okay with the new Arc website. I liked the old website much more. It was easier to use, looked better, and it fit the game. This Arc site is bland and confusing.

I honestly don't know if you guys at Cryptic can do anything about the migration of the site (hope you can) but at the very least, could you see about making the page a bit easier to use and understand?

I wonder if it'd be possible to have both the old STO website and the new Arc website up and running at the same time, let preference dictate what website is used.
    Emma
    Virinat Detachment
  • Options
    omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, we go from a somewhat trek looking website to a completely none trek looking website. This is really sad. If I had a choice I would choose the old site over the new one. I believe the new site will make startrek fans not bother with the website. I personally have not use the forums or the website much since PWE took over and plan to stick with the RSS feed http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?tag=sto-news&feed=rss2
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    wrote:
    Launching games using Arc is not mandatory. The new website, which is separate from the launcher is what I was referring to. While you can no longer access the old website (As others pointed out you can), you can still launch STO from the old clients without the use of Arc.

Now why oh why do I get the feeling that at some point in the not so distant future they will sneak a stealth patch in making using Arc Mandatory? Despite everyone's negative reaction to arc,the on going criticism over its deployment not to mention that its still in beta test and they see fit to rail road it through without proper testing (And I for one am not happy with using untested and largely unproven software that could potentially be a major security issue). Sorry Cryptic but there's a blatant history of poor beta testing on your part as a whole. And I for one am not convinced that this will be the same.

And as a gold subscriber who actually paid for the original STO software upon its general release before it went free to play I shall be rather annoyed should I before forced into mandatory usage of arc. The transition from pay to play to free to play and how badly this was handled should be a prime example to yourselves and others, there are issues and concerns that arose from that. Which are still prevalent in game to this day.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!