What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Website migration

Comments

• Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Could you tell me where to access the veteran rewards list please? The old site had it nicely linked but now when I go to that page it just redirects me to the new homepage. Speaking of, I don't like the new homepage. :P
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Now why oh why do I get the feeling that at some point in the not so distant future they will sneak a stealth patch in making using Arc Mandatory? Despite everyone's negative reaction to arc,the on going criticism over its deployment not to mention that its still in beta test and they see fit to rail road it through without proper testing (And I for one am not happy with using untested and largely unproven software that could potentially be a major security issue). Sorry Cryptic but there's a blatant history of poor beta testing on your part as a whole. And I for one am not convinced that this will be the same.

And as a gold subscriber who actually paid for the original STO software upon its general release before it went free to play I shall be rather annoyed should I before forced into mandatory usage of arc. The transition from pay to play to free to play and how badly this was handled should be a prime example to yourselves and others, there are issues and concerns that arose from that. Which are still prevalent in game to this day.

The very first day they make Arc mandatory for logging into the game, is the same day I uninstall STO forever.

I already have Steam, i'm forced to use Origin to play Battlefield 3/4, I refuse to use Arc. I've only run Arc twice, and that was to complete the Free giveaways. Removed Arc the instant all my characters had the Khan uniform, and I had unlocked the free Ferengi shuttle (now there's an oxymoron for you... A free Ferengi shuttle).
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm going to be perfectly honest here, that's one weak game page. I mean reeealy weak. :(

While I get the corporate desire for simplification and to unify everything under one hat, I expected someone with at least a smidge of creativity to be involved in designing of this platform. I guess that was a bit too much to expect from PWE.

As it is now - it's grey, it's boring, it's......I can't quite translate the word from my language to English but in essence it would mean highly unimpressive, lame, regular...

There is nothing reckognizable of Star Trek on that page. No Star Trek logo, no LCARS, no creativity, no ST type text...You guys hold the IP liscence of one of the most historic and lucrative sci-fi franchises and this is the web-page you make for it? :(
    Seriously, this just looks bad and there isn't a pixel that says Star Trek apart of the bland text stating on which Arc game subsection you are.

I imagine a Star Trek fan wanting to check it out, comming to that site and leaving unimpressed. It's just so bland, corporate, yawnworthy.....don't really know what to else say. I am dissapoint. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Could you tell me where to access the veteran rewards list please? The old site had it nicely linked but now when I go to that page it just redirects me to the new homepage. Speaking of, I don't like the new homepage. :P

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3026853

I found this. It's not well-integrated to other info that you need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Mhm... I would advise PWE to NOT let colorblind people with no sense of style design their websites...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Let's see.. constructive feedback..

The dynamic population of article blocks isn't doing the page any loading time favors. As it is, I find I still have to refresh the page 3-4 times just to make sure the initial parts of the page load properly.

Furthermore, 'flow' is kind of all over the place. At the top, you've got a horizontal scrolling 'banner' displaying featured news items. A vertical scrolling media section, and then a bunch of news blogs just thrown in however they can fit. This leaves the user completely unable to expect where to find whatever they're looking for. There's no consistency for the brain to make sense of.

If I might make a suggestion, adopt the flow design of the media portion to the overall design. Break the page into two main columns: a dynamically populating vertical scrolling list of articles, and an informational column that provides additional information(or the article itself) on the selected item in the other column. Media and promotional(Legacy of Romulus, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) blocks can be organized below that within either column - or within their own Div section(s).
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

I found this. It's not well-integrated to other info that you need.

Thanks, I'll bookmark it now so I don't lose it again haha.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014

that was easy to find
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Where, oh where do I start to list the problems?

Let's start with the simple fact that, ever since it was first brought up, the community response to ARC has been clear - WE DO NOT WANT IT. No ifs, maybes or 'we'll think about it', we've made it plain that we say NO to ARC.

For a second... A little warning would be nice before pulling this. Not a 'we'll be doing it some time in the next few weeks' and then just doing it - maybe trying out, oh, I don't know - earlier in the day posting an announcement that latter that day there'll be a migration.

Site Layout - how many drunk Ferengis did it take to make that layout? It's hideous, difficult to navigate, and the news is crammed into a little tiny sidebar where you can't even see it. What's with that waste of space screenshot viewer at the top of the page that doesn't even do anything besides just show pictures and the occasional video? You're replacing the news rotation with that?

At the risk of being blunt... If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it; if it is broke, do something about it. That is; instead of forcing something we don't want down our throats, how about directing resources to more important matters like, for example, the fact that KDF players can't get into Delta Volanis Cluster or select all their uniform slots?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    enoemg wrote: »
    Holy TRIBBLE... I didn't realize that they would be pushing us to use Arc so aggressively. What? The two free items that people logged on to get and then deleted Arc didn't give you the hint? You had to move the entire website to show us the big ARC symbol instead of STO? You do realize that most of your players don't want this, don't you?

They've spent close to a year (so far) developing it, and yo9u DIDN'T think they'd push it down the player's collective throats? FYI - Corporations don't invest a lot of time/money to see it NOT get used.:eek::D

[And I'm NO FAN of ARC myself, and if they do require it's use BEYOND game launcher unification (IE it stays TSR and forces PWE apps not needed to run in the background as the STO client is running); I'm 100% DONE with any PWE/Cryptic game including STO.)

IMO if PWE really wants to see the current player growth trend in STO that they've been touting stop and reverse itself; FORCING ARC as mandatory on the playerbase will IMO accomplish just that.)

But, it should be no surprise they're pushing ARC as much as they are.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    cyberfoxx01cyberfoxx01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Still getting "400 Bad Request" on a lot of the images on the "new" site. You might want to get someone to check the config for the images-cdn.perfectworld.com http server.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, I'll bookmark it now so I don't lose it again haha.

Best to bookmark the entire guides section: http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online/guide

This is also linked from the top of the News page (along with Media, forums, etc.): http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's the URL the old STO website redirected me to. Now let's see some screenshots of that Forum button. Put up or shut up.

My self-control has been defeated by my snarkiness...

http://www.entity-virtue.com/STO-Arc-Forums.png

If you start with "Go to Arc Games", you may need to click on "Star Trek Online". That should bring you the product site that you see in the linked image.

Alternatively, if you're starting from the "Go to Arc Games", you instead click on "Social" then select the Forum link that's underneath "Star Trek Online".
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    With how huge an IP that Star Trek is you would think the web site should reflect the brand of Star Trek too.

The new site doesn't incorporate the Star Trek logo, lcars, Star Trek color themes or even a wow factor.

First and foremost, please think about putting the Star Trek logo along the top somewhere...Anywhere for that matter.

Something remotely along the lines of this maybe? lol

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/klintobean/media/New-STO-Web-Site.jpg.html

Just providing some feedback :)

For all we know you guys had no control over this. So you may be as frustrated as many in the community are. lol

-Klintobean
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Best to bookmark the entire guides section: http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online/guide

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Can you please direct me to information about how to access and use the Foundry?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    With how huge an IP that Star Trek is you would think the web site should reflect the brand of Star Trek too.

The new site doesn't incorporate the Star Trek logo, lcars, Star Trek color themes or even a wow factor.

First and foremost, please think about putting the Star Trek logo along the top somewhere...Anywhere for that matter.

Something remotely along the lines of this maybe? lol

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/klintobean/media/New-STO-Web-Site.jpg.html

Just providing some feedback :)

For all we know you guys had no control over this. So you may be as frustrated as many in the community are. lol

-Klintobean

Well I think part of it is because currently, the emblem they are using for STO is the Legacy of Romulus Raptor Wings and not the Starfleet insignia.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Can you please direct me to information about how to access and use the Foundry?

Sure! http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noob-guides/tutorials-guide/ ;)

If you meant "direct me [on the STO website]", Smirk has feedback recorded from you and others requesting it in the guides section. We could also look at the possibility of directing users right to that link above if you'd like it to be an "official" guide -- PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So does this mean the sto.perfectworld.com and sto-forum.perfectworld.com addresses will no longer work? Because I'm still using them at the moment.. but if they stop I won't be able to visit the site and forums during downtime at work anymore. Anything with "game" or "games" in it is blocked by the firewall.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This section only goes up to blog 36.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3027453

Unless you're considering 8.5 it's own thing, in which case this page needs a section for 8.5.

http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online/guide

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    This section only goes up to blog 36.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3027453

Unless you're considering 8.5 it's own thing, in which case this page needs a section for 8.5.

http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online/guide

Good find! Smirk will be updating many of the guides with indices as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience as we complete the transition and get everything up to date.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You should really redirect the old website here, the community page, not to the Arc storefront as you currently do. The former's actually, IMO, better than the old site. A bit cluttered, but that's not a huge deal. The latter, however, is just a storefront. You click the "Star Trek Online" image and you get taken to another storefront page for the game. The interesting site is hidden in the social tab that most visitors aren't even going to click.

Now, where the old website definitely has this one beat is looks. The Arc-integrated game pages are just so sterile. Reminds me of a slightly slicker looking Steam (who also isn't winning any awards for visuals). Where's that old colorful background? Content/layout wise the community page is much better, but the presentation is just bland and sterile.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    On the Foundry Spotlight Page the mission descriptions run over the screenshot images of the mission. Totally misaligned and looks rather unprofessional. No scratch that , it looks like someone didn't care enough to check their work once it was done, which I guess counts as totally unprofessional.

It is a crime by the way that all introductory information (Guides) on the Foundry Tool has been removed entirely from the new web site. How less subtle can they be that the Foundry just doesn't even matter to them anymore.
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe I am the only one having problems with the new website/forum

With Internet Explorer 11 it can not decide if I am logged in or not. I head to the http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online, it says I am logged in on the upper right. Hit the Forum button and now it says I am not logged on and if I try I can not view the Dev Tracker so it isn't just a display thing. If I hit the Reply button on a thread though, it remembers I am logged in and happily allows met to reply to the message.

With Google Chrome, it is the reverse, the forum remembers me, but STO community page doesn't and requires me to log in each visit.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You should really redirect the old website here, the community page, not to the Arc storefront as you currently do. The former's actually, IMO, better than the old site. A bit cluttered, but that's not a huge deal. The latter, however, is just a storefront. You click the "Star Trek Online" image and you get taken to another storefront page for the game. The interesting site is hidden in the social tab that most visitors aren't even going to click.

Now, where the old website definitely has this one beat is looks. The Arc-integrated game pages are just so sterile. Reminds me of a slightly slicker looking Steam (who also isn't winning any awards for visuals). Where's that old colorful background? Content/layout wise the community page is much better, but the presentation is just bland and sterile.

If you let it auto-redirect instead of clicking the "Go To Arc Games" button, it will go to the news/sto site.

Not sure why different, but ya :/.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'll quote myself from the season 8, dev blog 53 thread.
    Thanks a lot for Arc. Thank you so very very much for integrating the forums into it. :mad:

When I click your 'Link to Blog', I get the blog page with a window on top of it that says 'Star Trek Online has moved. -You will be redirected in 7 seconds', after the timer reaches 0 it redirects me to http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online. It's the same for all your blogs.

Screenshot of what I'm talking about http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/MonkeyGuts69/Devblogredirect_zpsbbc296ba.jpg~original

I'm using latest version of Firefox web browser. Any dev blog link I click on, it takes me to the proper page but I get that message and after a few seconds I'm redirected to the Arc page.

Thanks for TRIBBLE up the forums. First you do "back end forum maintenance" the other day and the forums were up and down for many hours after maintenance was over.

And now you migrate the forums into the new Arc site and I can't read dev blogs. You guys still wondering why a lot of players are against Arc entirely?
  • Options
    dokardokar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This new site is a prime example of flash over substance .. it is horrible.

The old site was easier to read and to find things in, this one is like they tried to turn it into a facebook page.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    CSS stylesheet and images dont load in firefox with noscript enabled (remote scripts maybe?)

Loaded it up in IE and was redirected to the main arcgames page, and the main thing I notice is that the game costs $199 [add to cart]. Yeah *I* know thats for LOR but its what I see.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dokar wrote: »
    This new site is a prime example of flash over substance .. it is horrible.

The old site was easier to read and to find things in, this one is like they tried to turn it into a facebook page.

Agreed entirely. It is a MASSIVE waste of space with little substance. I go to the site to read news but I have to scroll down an entire screen height just to get to the latest news posts. The rotating banner is not kept up to date and is basically just an ad (thank god ad block can block by div id). The next section is videos that I have no interest in looking at because they are already embedded in the blog posts I want to read and there is a whole page dedicated to media. If I want to see all videos at once, I'll go there. Otherwise I'll watch them in the individual posts they are embedded in.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/awful_layout.jpg~original

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Alright can someone tell me how the hell i am supposed to check my account info now?

Account Guard, Subscription status, etc? ITs no longer possible. All these new changes are just plain TRIBBLE and make absolutely zero sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'll quote myself from the season 8, dev blog 53 thread.

I'm using latest version of Firefox web browser. Any dev blog link I click on, it takes me to the proper page but I get that message and after a few seconds I'm redirected to the Arc page.

Thanks for TRIBBLE up the forums. First you do "back end forum maintenance" the other day and the forums were up and down for many hours after maintenance was over.

And now you migrate the forums into the new Arc site and I can't read dev blogs. You guys still wondering why a lot of players are against Arc entirely?

Sorry about that! I've updated most of the links in threads from page one of the GNN that link to blogs on the old portal to their new links. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=