What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #52

Comments

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    the federation version lacks a cloak of any kind, but has less hull then the kdf version and the same amount as the rom version. so, having the highest shield mod of the 3 by quite a bit is an appropriate trade off.

this is them listening to the threads saying the fed version loses out to the other 2
    With the 1.3 on the basic version and 1.43 on the C-Store 3-pack, the FED Sci destroyers have the best shields of the bunch.

(Not saying the different factions' ships are balanced against each other.)
    It's hard not to see +2.1% shield being better than a standard Cloak though. I mean, outside of somebody that smokes and will take breaks during solo missions/replays/grinds - standard Cloaks are worthless.

Did they retro the Fed RADSD with an increased amount for consistency and also to maintain the +10% aspect? I don't have any Fed toons to look at it to see if it changed...

I think the 1.457 is a typo, because that's completely unsystematic (but we're talking about Cryptic, so who knows?).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would agree with that because you most likely won't see many of these ships out there. Heck I didn't even bother getting a lobi obilisk lol. Looked too much like a flying bicycle seat for me to want to pilot it. So yeah its either just gonna be a lobi store route or they will lower the price or add something to it like with that rom tact carrier they gave it a hangar slot to try to get it to sell but you rarely ever see anyone use one of those.

Not the Advanced Obelisk - the regular Obelisk. You could have acquired it from from the event if you did it...or...you can acquire it with a Spire Tier 1 buy the regular Obelisk for 20k FC, 1 FSP, and 2 FSMs.

Though, based on what that Blog #45 said and the thread for that blog...well...
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not the Advanced Obelisk - the regular Obelisk. You could have acquired it from from the event if you did it...or...you can acquire it with a Spire Tier 1 buy the regular Obelisk for 20k FC, 1 FSP, and 2 FSMs.

Though, based on what that Blog #45 said and the thread for that blog...well...

Oh yeah that too. That shows you how uninterested someone could be in it to not even remember that part of what you meant :)

Also didn't mean to offend any of those high ranking ppl at Cryptic but my remark about the dogs and dinosaurs was basically a point at how they hadn't thought much of this story arc thru with the voth and dyson sphere. Now if we used cave men to fight for us it would make sense that they get dinosaurs but we do not so it kind of makes no sense. Just like to them they couldn't see why a mostly KDF player wouldn't want to grind their eyes out just to get a purple transformer lol.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »

They got a ship for free, and if people pay for the Z-store versions and get the deflector and core with it they are spending money so it won't be cheating people who did the grind, as their grind let them get it free.

Sorry, but I think the word i'm searching for is sophistry.

People were told, beforehand, that the dish and the core would only be avalable on the 9 console grind version.

Thus, those who were going to pay for the 10 console version, but wanted both four piece sets, ran the grind. For each character they were ever going to want to fly this ship on.

Not everybody who did that was delighted to do so.

Those who were not delighted will not be happy if Cryptic pull a u-turn and tell them that the 15 day grind per toon wasn't necessary.

I suspect that might not be a quiet and uninfluential minority.
  • Options
    micadog5micadog5 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Really?

Like, I knew they would all be copies of each other, consoles and all from the FE.

But really?

From that twitter post, it seems we won't even get faction specific hull materials, one of the things I was seriously looking forward to in these ships.

Some things I'd like to see final confirmation on these ships are: will we be able to use faction ship skins, and will we be able to use the anni ship parts, can't seem to find it mentioned in the blog.

If we arent able to use faction specific, then I'll have to back out on this one. Personally I dont like white klingon ships or federation ships with purple nacelles/deflectors.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The "grind"...took about 2-3 minutes a day per toon. Yes, running the mission for the 400 Qmends was annoying for additional toons (and that definitely got grindy) - but one didn't have to run it - they could just have done the 2-3 minutes for 25 days instead of running mission and then spending 2-3 minutes a day per toon for 15 days.

It has to be the easiest grind they've done, yet it appears to be generating the most complaints.

Considering the cost of the Obelisk vs. what one had to do to get it for free, I think the folks that would think about paying for it might be a little happier knowing that it took more than just a "Hello...why thanks!" sort of deal.

I don't have a problem with running a mission to get some anniversary reward, it's the 15-day repetitive task that I qualify as grind, as simple as it may be.

And this anniversary grind was one too many for me. I can accept the winter and summer event grinds because at least, they reward 10-console complete vessels. These 4th anniversary ships require a grind yet are only 9-console toned down variants that come with a part of a set obtained only through the C-Store (which offers the 10-console version, but still incomplete without the secondary deflector and the cores).

Even if I find a grind revolting for the anniversary event, I'd probably had done it for the complete 10-console versions. As it is, this anniversary event changed from the most rewarding event (ships, althought merely 9-console ones, offered after a symbolic or new fancy mission) to the least rewarding one: you grind (more than just play a new mission) to still get only 9-console incomplete ships.

Well, I just wanted to try explaining this position I (seemingly not alone) hold.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    toiva wrote: »

Well, I just wanted to try explaining this position I (seemingly not alone) hold.

I think you're far from alone in holding that sort of view of recent events.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What I (still) want to know is whether or not the 2 piece secondary set is a final modifier, I'll have to find a friend to shoot at if I manage to get the ships
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If these ships allowed you to use a second deflector...ANY deflector (but not 2 of the same) I'd be cool with that. Instead, we had to introduce a 'Second Beeakfast"-version of defelctors. Ugh.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If these ships allowed you to use a second deflector...ANY deflector (but not 2 of the same) I'd be cool with that. Instead, we had to introduce a 'Second Beeakfast"-version of defelctors. Ugh.

Secondary Deflector's nowhere near as powerful as a regular Deflector would be. Being able to equip two regular Deflectors...heh, yeah - MACO Deflector, MACO Engines, Elite Fleet Shields, Elite Fleet Core [AMP], and an Elite Fleet Axion/Fermion [SciCdr] Deflector...lol...that would be trippy stacking the 5% and 10% while still sporting Fleet Shields.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The lack of Starfleet (and KDF/Republic) hull materials has put me off these. I can't fathom why the possibility was teased and then taken away.

Then again, the situation with hull materials for non-Earth Federation ships is naff too.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    The lack of Starfleet (and KDF/Republic) hull materials has put me off these. I can't fathom why the possibility was teased and then taken away.

Then again, the situation with hull materials for non-Earth Federation ships is naff too.

When was the possibility teased? Back with Blog #47 thread on Jan 29th...
    These starships use the base materials seen here and will use the alternate materials from the C-Store ships coming out next month.

...they stated what materials would be available for the DSDs - when they first announced the DSDs. They were upfront about it from the start.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No Faction specific materials, according to this tweet.

WOW!!:eek: What an EPIC FAIL!!

2014 - the year when we get to see just how much Cryptic can fail.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Sorry, but I think the word i'm searching for is sophistry.

People were told, beforehand, that the dish and the core would only be avalable on the 9 console grind version.

Thus, those who were going to pay for the 10 console version, but wanted both four piece sets, ran the grind. For each character they were ever going to want to fly this ship on.

Not everybody who did that was delighted to do so.

Those who were not delighted will not be happy if Cryptic pull a u-turn and tell them that the 15 day grind per toon wasn't necessary.

I suspect that might not be a quiet and uninfluential minority.

I suspect the people not interested in grinding Q missions but still interested in purchasing the zen ship if it is COMPLETE might not be so small of a minority either. The threads complaining over the grind were pretty big, and many people like me didn't just give in and do it anyway. If Cryptic needs to pull a u-turn to make sales that is just business, you still got to have the ship for free before we did so not a complete waste. I also said I am willing to accept the missing parts being put in the dil store for owners of the paid ship so if that were to happen your grind still would have gotten the parts for free while others would have to pay dil.

Keeping parts to a set that goes to a paid ship exclusive to a limited time grind event is not that answer, it was a big mistake.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    With the 1.3 on the basic version and 1.43 on the C-Store 3-pack, the FED Sci destroyers have the best shields of the bunch.

(Not saying the different factions' ships are balanced against each other.)

I think the 1.457 is a typo, because that's completely unsystematic (but we're talking about Cryptic, so who knows?).

wile it might already have the best shields, a ship with a claok has better hull. the fed has a disadvantage vs the kdf version, wile not having a cloak. so now, it has a 2 step bump over the kdf and rom version as far as shields go. the actual shield mod looks far to specific to be a typo, dont be surprised when thursday's patch drops that the 9 console version is also buffed.
  • Options
    micadog5micadog5 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They teased (somewhat) about the faction specific materials in this post:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1010241

[Edit] Its slightly unclear in that thread as to whether or not the faction materials would be on the cstore versions. I know personally posts like these implied they would be.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    micadog5 wrote: »
    They teased (somewhat) about the faction specific materials in this post:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1010241

[Edit] Its slightly unclear in that thread as to whether or not the faction materials would be on the cstore versions. I know personally posts like these implied they would be.

How? This is the actual post...
    I'm not sure where you heard that, but that is quite correct.

Faction-specific materials(skins) are excluded from the Dyson hybrid ships, and will remain so until further notice.

It was decided that keeping the Dyson ships looking like they were built out of Dyson tech was important in order to keep them standing out and looking interesting. Allowing regular faction-specific hull materials would reduce the "awe" factor of the ships somewhat.

They're excluded and they will remain excluded until somebody says they're not excluded. That's not stating that at some point they would...that's stating it ain't happening, but should it ever happen - they'd let folks know. They can't say something will never happen...everything is subject to the potential for change; but it's pretty clear it wasn't happening.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    That being said, if Feds wanted to get...frisky...with Cryptic, they could point to the recent patch notes...
    All Starfleet vessels now have access to a revamped version of the “Type 5” material option.
    This will be available on all future Starfleet vessels as well as all current ones.

Heh, so while I'll defend Cryptic for not saying it would happen and act confused at people thinking otherwise - I'll still throw Cryptic under the bus for making the decision in the first place...so have at them!

edit: I was tempted to post in the maintenance thread, but I didn't want to ruin the fun for anybody else. :P
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This might be the first three pack that I buy. I like the look of some of these ships more than the Anniversary version, and I'm actually loving this ship so far. The consoles should make it even better.
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    enoemg wrote: »
    This might be the first three pack that I buy. I like the look of some of these ships more than the Anniversary version, and I'm actually loving this ship so far. The consoles should make it even better.

why would you want to buy a ship that looks like an unfinished wedding cake with tank tracks ? :P (sorry jamjamz)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    WOW!!:eek: What an EPIC FAIL!!

2014 - the year when we get to see just how much Cryptic can fail.

I think at this point all they have going for them is the older crowd like myself that primarily sticks to one game and has a hard time leaving one they put a lot of invested time into. I'm pretty much close to not even hanging onto that. I figure by April which they say is when Season 9 will make it to STO that I'll have every single alt I use for doffing/gameplay (not counting my bank toon lol) will be completely all geared out across them all. So if there is nothing new to do or obtain that satisfies me I think that might be the end of me playing sto.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think at this point all they have going for them is the older crowd like myself that primarily sticks to one game and has a hard time leaving one they put a lot of invested time into. I'm pretty much close to not even hanging onto that. I figure by April which they say is when Season 9 will make it to STO that I'll have every single alt I use for doffing/gameplay (not counting my bank toon lol) will be completely all geared out across them all. So if there is nothing new to do or obtain that satisfies me I think that might be the end of me playing sto.

Need more masochism! Delete it and do it all over again! :D

I do not have any of my toons from the 2nd Anniversary.
    I do not have any of my toons from before S7 at all.
    I do not have any of my toons from the S7/Winter Event.
    I do not have any of my toons from the 3rd Anniversary.
    I do not have any of my toons from before LoR launched.
    I have one toon from the LoR/Summer Event.
    That same toon is the only toon from the S8/Winter Event.

I deleted eight 50s at the end of 2013.
    I deleted four 50s at the end of 2012.
    Heck, before S7 - I used to delete and reroll toons every 2-3 weeks. Even after S7, after LoR, I started weeding out my Feds - deleting toons in the months leading up to the end of 2013 that I'd rolled at the end of 2012 and start of 2013 for the 3rd Anniversary.

Heck, when we get what...4-6 hours of content a year - it's pretty much redoing everything anyway...over and over and over. Why not redo it all? Er, or almost all...heh, kept the one guy to keep the KDF Fleet (though I deleted my Fed Fleet).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Need more masochism! Delete it and do it all over again! :D

I do not have any of my toons from the 2nd Anniversary.
    I do not have any of my toons from before S7 at all.
    I do not have any of my toons from the S7/Winter Event.
    I do not have any of my toons from the 3rd Anniversary.
    I do not have any of my toons from before LoR launched.
    I have one toon from the LoR/Summer Event.
    That same toon is the only toon from the S8/Winter Event.

I deleted eight 50s at the end of 2013.
    I deleted four 50s at the end of 2012.
    Heck, before S7 - I used to delete and reroll toons every 2-3 weeks. Even after S7, after LoR, I started weeding out my Feds - deleting toons in the months leading up to the end of 2013 that I'd rolled at the end of 2012 and start of 2013 for the 3rd Anniversary.

Heck, when we get what...4-6 hours of content a year - it's pretty much redoing everything anyway...over and over and over. Why not redo it all? Er, or almost all...heh, kept the one guy to keep the KDF Fleet (though I deleted my Fed Fleet).

Yeah yer right it looks like forums are more for you :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah yer right it looks like forums are more for you :)

Heh, even here - I tend to start repeating myself every 3-6 months. :(

But honestly, I blame it on having no "rush" in general and having two monitors. I've been doing Alpha on the other monitor for over an hour now with one of the toons I'm leveling. Spending more time looking at the right screen than the left screen.

I hope D'Angelo pushes the replayability over repeatability he mentioned. I've run this mission so many times (I hate to think how many of my braincells are storing info on STO missions that I've done over and over and over...no wonder I can never remember what I had for breakfast!).

Course, this is getting way off topic...but I'm happy to see that somebody brought up the Type5 material from the patch notes and the Fed DSDs (even though I don't have any Feds) over in the notes thread.

Like I said in the posts lost to the rollback (I think), faction skins should be available to any ship - as long as the player is of that faction. Yep, folks should be able to Fed up their Bastion, their Chel Grett, their Apex, their Recluse, their everything. As a member of that faction, they should be able to faction up the ship...

...and yes, I know that the ship art guys are reporting my post to Smirk to get it annihilated. :P
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Helios class is referred to as Caprimul class in the photo under the Solanae Advanced Technologies Set section.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, Cryptic made 9 ships and none of them have faction specific skins. Release Notes: February 20, 2014 Epic Fail!.

Good job. All the faction ships specs look like cut and paste.
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well not liking the stats on the Fed Sci Destroyer.

You would think a ship with no cloak and will always be on the defensive, since its difficult to start shooting at something that’s cloaked, would have better stats than just a .082 more in shields.

Sometimes I think that the Devs don’t really think when they put stuff out. They are so far disconnected from the game that they have no clue how high cloaked Alpha Strikes are hitting in the game. Hell a weak Alpha Strike falls around 30k and a good Alpha can hit as high as 65k+ insta kill in less than 3sec.

Well Devs you guys better get off your asses and start going onto the game to really see whats going on.

Maybe your next live stream should be PvP based and have 2 or 3 Devs plus 2 lucky players picked at random partner up and go against KDFs finest. Just so you get a taste of how powerful cloaked ships are.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The shield mod affects regen as well as shield capacity...it can add up. Toss in various shield damage reduction buffs that boost the effective shield capacity...it can definitely add up.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Heh, even here - I tend to start repeating myself every 3-6 months. :(

But honestly, I blame it on having no "rush" in general and having two monitors. I've been doing Alpha on the other monitor for over an hour now with one of the toons I'm leveling. Spending more time looking at the right screen than the left screen.

I hope D'Angelo pushes the replayability over repeatability he mentioned. I've run this mission so many times (I hate to think how many of my braincells are storing info on STO missions that I've done over and over and over...no wonder I can never remember what I had for breakfast!).

Course, this is getting way off topic...but I'm happy to see that somebody brought up the Type5 material from the patch notes and the Fed DSDs (even though I don't have any Feds) over in the notes thread.

Like I said in the posts lost to the rollback (I think), faction skins should be available to any ship - as long as the player is of that faction. Yep, folks should be able to Fed up their Bastion, their Chel Grett, their Apex, their Recluse, their everything. As a member of that faction, they should be able to faction up the ship...

...and yes, I know that the ship art guys are reporting my post to Smirk to get it annihilated. :P

I was just joking but I know what you meant :) Some people like playing it different than others :) I'm all for replaying them but I'm not for replaying certain things until my eyes bleed.

Although I kinda agree with D'angelo since this game was designed under masters that just made console games they need to revamp the way missions actually evolve in this game now that its not like it was before. Right now the game is all about punch the money and win some TRIBBLE items or join a que for fleet or rep grind lol. I assume though the answer to a lot of these problems will be for them to erase the exploration sector missions and replace them with a cloned version of GW2 dynamic events.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jrq2 wrote: »
    Well not liking the stats on the Fed Sci Destroyer.

You would think a ship with no cloak and will always be on the defensive, since its difficult to start shooting at something that’s cloaked, would have better stats than just a .082 more in shields.

Sometimes I think that the Devs don’t really think when they put stuff out. They are so far disconnected from the game that they have no clue how high cloaked Alpha Strikes are hitting in the game. Hell a weak Alpha Strike falls around 30k and a good Alpha can hit as high as 65k+ insta kill in less than 3sec.

Well Devs you guys better get off your asses and start going onto the game to really see whats going on.

Maybe your next live stream should be PvP based and have 2 or 3 Devs plus 2 lucky players picked at random partner up and go against KDFs finest. Just so you get a taste of how powerful cloaked ships are.

That sounds like a super idea.