Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #52

Comments

• Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    talgeeze wrote: »
    I think the base variants might get their way to Fleet Shipyards, like the Odyssey/Bortas did. But Devs haven't said anything about wether or not it would happen yet.

I think they will come back next anniversary for qmendations just like the breen ship came back.
    I'm pretty sure that has been mentioned by devs, and I remember certainly one dev mentioning to a post where someone asked for wthe deflector and core he'd have to wait until next year to get those if he wouldn't run after mini q now.

rinkster wrote: »
    The only reason a lot of people did that awful anniversary grind was to get the warp core and the secondary deflector dish.

Think they'll be ecstatic if it turns out they could have just bought the kit?

Yeah that sucks, I ran the event. But I think if someone pays up to 100 bugs for essentially one virtual ship he should be able to make it fully functional.

However, if the comments here are any indication on how this will sell... They might reconsider pretty soon. (But knowing cryptic they'll draw the wrong co conclusion and will only sell lockbox ships from now on^^)
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The shield mod affects regen as well as shield capacity...it can add up. Toss in various shield damage reduction buffs that boost the effective shield capacity...it can definitely add up.

That .082 more means very little when the weakest weapon in the game (turrets) are now hitting past the 1k damage mark per shot

Seriously a turret with a base damage of 98-101 is doing 1k or more damage that’s like 900% more damage, so if a turret can be buffed to do 900% more damage just think of what the Dual Heavy Cannons are capable of.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jrq2 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that the Devs don’t really think when they put stuff out.

They do think but they are only thinking about the people who actually pay them :)
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm interested to see how the sales on this turn out. I can see the Romulan and KDF versions selling since both of those don't really have sci ships, but I haven't seen much excitement for the Fed version. I'll be passing on these myself.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Montgomery class isn't the engineering variant? really guys? really>

+1 I am surprised at this as well. I guess Scotty made quite a reputation for himself whilst gallivanting around the cosmos giving the klinks "everything she's got".... lol Nice homage nevertheless...
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not too excited about the free versions, already back in my garage for the ships I was using before. Really not interested in spending $100 for three ships that has 3 different 'skins'. This 'you get NINE ships!' is a joke. Can't even use all 3 consoles at one time. Secondary Deflector would have been awesome if it was actually a real deflector and we could get 2 two-piece set bonuses on a SciShip. Just rename the ships USS/IKS/RRW New Coke, cause that's how it's gonna sell. :D
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    what do you mean? you have to use all three consoles to get the set bonus. no where in the dev blog does it say you can not use all three consoles on the same ship

regardless of this i am meh about this not being able to use faction skins is the deal breaker
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I agree with this 100%. Montgomery Class should be engineering for Mr. Scott. Scotty is even connected to Dyson Spheres. Duh! Hello Cryptic??

IMO - Omega Class should be Science b/c of Omega Molecules, etc. Who cares what the Tac class is named, tacs have all kinds of names and Helios isn't bad.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    the Montgomery Class Isn't The Engineering Variant? Really Guys? Really>

... Just As Long As They Keep Patting Themselves On The Back In Each Interview About How Huge Trekkies They All Are ...
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well at least the Feds can finally have a version that doesn't have a boarding ramp leading up the middle of the main deflector. Although I did notice the Omega variant comes with dual boarding ramps :P
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jrq2 wrote: »
    Well not liking the stats on the Fed Sci Destroyer.

You would think a ship with no cloak and will always be on the defensive, since its difficult to start shooting at something that’s cloaked, would have better stats than just a .082 more in shields.

Sometimes I think that the Devs don’t really think when they put stuff out. They are so far disconnected from the game that they have no clue how high cloaked Alpha Strikes are hitting in the game. Hell a weak Alpha Strike falls around 30k and a good Alpha can hit as high as 65k+ insta kill in less than 3sec.

Well Devs you guys better get off your asses and start going onto the game to really see whats going on.

Maybe your next live stream should be PvP based and have 2 or 3 Devs plus 2 lucky players picked at random partner up and go against KDFs finest. Just so you get a taste of how powerful cloaked ships are.

Believe me they did this intentionally. Do you really think they don't know? They are trying to push sales on the Klingon (and Romulan) side. Balanced factions do not seem to be enough to motivate enough people to start a Klingon char. Things like an insta kill button at least attracts some players.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,508 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Systems Designer Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski reveals more details about the upcoming Starfleet Advanced Dyson Science Destroyer ships in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Thats the boring info. What about the really interesting stuff? How many decks does it have? Will the engine room show starfleet issue standard warpcores or something fancy like it also was not shown on the obelisk? How many Boffs will be on that bridge and will my XO sitting next to me or will it again be either a random noname or the highest Tac Boff slot one?

almost forgot: Readyroom for trophys? Mess for big trophys?
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Got a funny feeling, that what was suggested by a player in another thread's likely to happen, eh? They'll go the Obelisk route with them...

or, they will do like the breen ships.... just add another ship next anniversary but let them have the ability to get hte dyson ship too.
  • Options
    wardaemon324wardaemon324 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, looking across the three basic ship stats
    Fed
    Hull Strength: 31350
    Shield Mod: 1.457
    Crew: 400

Rom
    Hull Strength: 31350
    Shield Mod: 1.357
    Crew: 600

KDF
    Hull Strength: 33000
    Shield Mod: 1.357
    Crew: 1000

So, from Fed->KDF you gain 600 crew and 1650 hull
    All the other abilities, etc. are the same as far as I can tell.

Would seem that lowering the shield modifier is set-off by the crew/hull.

Just noticing things, no vast conspiracy . . .
  • Options
    captainkeatzcaptainkeatz Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm sorry. I've probably sunk thousands into the game in the past, bought every uniform, every Fed ship. I'm a friggin magpie. But this time I am not tempted. Less tempted even than with the Avenger and that one looked awful already. Could we get back to ships with some "Trek" look and feel again? Something without weird crevices, moving parts and glowy bits outside the nacelles?
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited February 2014
    Kudos for taking so many nice screenshots lately! :)
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    NOTE: The Console Mods listed on the ships above can be equipped in any console slot. They may only be equipped on Dyson Science Destroyer ship variants. You may only equip one of these mods per starship. Equipping all four pieces of the Solanae Advanced Technologies set will improve these consoles’ abilities.

So let me get this straight ... the console will be a "universal" type, can only be equipped on dyson ships but ... I don't get the last bit (sorry for my noob moment here).

Can anyone explain it? As I understand it (1 special console per ship?!) ... STO won't be getting my money.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'll pass I've got the free one for one toon and paying 5000 zen for 3 ships only for the consoles is not something I'm interested in.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm sorry. I've probably sunk thousands into the game in the past, bought every uniform, every Fed ship. I'm a friggin magpie. But this time I am not tempted. Less tempted even than with the Avenger and that one looked awful already. Could we get back to ships with some "Trek" look and feel again? Something without weird crevices, moving parts and glowy bits outside the nacelles?

Yes, my thoughts exactly! Ships are starting to look ridiculous, especially Federation ones. High time to hire someone that understands Starfleet design, Cryptic.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only reason a lot of people did that awful anniversary grind was to get the warp core and the secondary deflector dish.

Think they'll be ecstatic if it turns out they could have just bought the kit?

More thinking of the suckers who drop $50 on a 3-pack to get a supposed "set" of consoles, only to find out they'd have had to be online and playing an obnoxious grind months/years ago.

I did the grind on all toons, I full well know it's B.S. So is asking $150 total for the account to get each set of Consoles for each faction. But people are going to buy the C-store ships expecting at least one complete set, and they're going to be flaming pissed it's not there. People still don't get that without the grind, there's still a missing piece--explaining that to new players in the future's only going to get worse.

For the record, this should have been addressed when the first dev blog about it got to 50+ pages of upset customers, and it's not too late to change it. It should, and should have always been, grind OR pay, not both.
    People were told, beforehand, that the dish and the core would only be avalable on the 9 console grind version.

This is the point I'm making: Not everyone playing STO in the future will have been playing STO this month. There will be new players, who Cryptic will have provided no way of getting either complete Solenae set, but they'll sure take way too much money for 3/4 of a set. That's my point.

Maybe some who did the grind will be upset--but the people who just dropped $50 into three ships have more of a reason to be, and they're Cryptic's real customers insofar as they're paying for Zen swank. There seems to be no one thinking ahead here.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    senselocke wrote: »
    More thinking of the suckers who drop $50 on a 3-pack to get a supposed "set" of consoles, only to find out they'd have had to be online and playing an obnoxious grind months/years ago.

That's actually why I simply declined to provide the aft end of a rodent, where the Anniversary Event was concerned... and that the Anniversary Event trails too closely to the Winter Event for me to even consider bothering with a grind. Maybe without the 20 hr cooldown I could bear just logging into a character and suffering through it all at once, but as it stands... I just opted out, and by extension opted out of the C-Store ships since I'm not one to spend 5000 Zen on 3/4 of a set.

My call for my preferences; to those that had the dedication to do the Anniversary Event I salute you.

Your point, though, is a good one. I hadn't even considered the folks that show up to play the game with money in hand, look at these ships and go "Cool!", then read the tooptip on the ships' consoles after buying them and learn that they don't actually have a full set. That'd be... unpleasant? Hopefully the C-Store includes a disclaimer in Yellow/Bold, though that'd probably harm sales.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Why would it be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Montgomery,_1st_Viscount_Montgomery_of_Alamein
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    syberghost wrote: »

The connection is a very thin one, and based on the fact that a Montgomery Scott, the most famous Engineer, had to do with a Dyson Sphere...
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    just had a look on tribble and I think the science version is the best looking version with being all white instead of the unfinished looking dark parts , I am a tach but like the sci version as the tach version looks unfinished tbh . will I get just 1 ? not sure tbh lol
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    At least we don't have to speculate what Cryptic will be offering next year in the free Z-store give away. Perhaps by then we will have someone who can actually design Federation looking ships. :(
  • Options
    darkelipse04darkelipse04 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh, not for me.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The connection is a very thin one, and based on the fact that a Montgomery Scott, the most famous Engineer, had to do with a Dyson Sphere...

So one out of 800 people that visited a sphere once had that as his first name, and thus it's more likely that this is the first ship in history named after somebody's first name (who was famous for their last name, not their first name; of course ships are sometimes named for those who are famous for their first names, such as Napoleon Bonaparte), instead of being yet another in the millenia-long tradition of naming warships after military leaders?

And it's a Tactical ship. This tends to indicate their thought process was in line with tradition (real world, Star Trek, and STO traditions all aligning in this), not a huge leap away from tradition that would only even make sense IF it was an Engineering ship.

If this was an Engineering ship named after Scotty, it'd either be the Scott class, or the Montgomery Scott class. The fact it's just "Montgomery" strongly implies it to either be named after someone whose last name was Montgomery, or who was most commonly known by their first name independent of their last name. The fact that it's a Tactical ship with that name implies it's named after a famous Admiral, General, or other military leader.

There's only been a couple of those named Montgomery, and the one I indicated is by far the more famous.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    the dyson ships don't even look that good. meh.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    senselocke wrote: »

This is the point I'm making: Not everyone playing STO in the future will have been playing STO this month. There will be new players, who Cryptic will have provided no way of getting either complete Solenae set, but they'll sure take way too much money for 3/4 of a set. That's my point.

Maybe some who did the grind will be upset--but the people who just dropped $50 into three ships have more of a reason to be, and they're Cryptic's real customers insofar as they're paying for Zen swank. There seems to be no one thinking ahead here.

Sorry, but i wholly disagree.

The need to grind for the four sets was well flagged in advance.

People asked and asked for a different solution from Cryptic, often offering a range of constructive solutions.

Not one of those requests has ever been acknowledged by Cryptic.

To turn round now and just add what people felt themselves forced to grind for to the c-store pack would be insulting.

The grindaversary raised a lot of issues, this is just one of them.

Nibbling at the edges of this complex of bad choices wont be a good long term solution.

Cryptic need to step up and acknowledge that serious errors of judgement were made.

Then, perhaps, something constructive can come out of this.

Until then, I'm not spending a dime on the game.
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Still waiting for my Vesta Bridge I paid $50 for :mad:
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader