test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cloaking/Battle Cloak

starschildren1starschildren1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ok so as alot of you may know the issues with the whole Cloaking process. A vast majority of us including myself are pretty upset with Romulans and Klingons Cloaking at will in the middle of a fight. Let alone literaly 3 seconds after they just decloaked....

There needs to be a longer cooldown timer on Battle Cloak the Romulans and Klingons use...

Like maybe a 30 second cooldown at least and or most. This has gotten way out of hand..enough is enough..

"Alright people I made this posts to get people talking not for you to sit there and laugh at how many posts I made in my lifetime..Just because I don't like to Post about stuff doesn't make my opinion any less Valid as those of you who have 1000+ posts. Like really people? Since when did the amount of Digital Social Posts determine your self entitlement? I'm not downgrading anyone or talking bad about anyone when I say my opinion is just as valid as yours.

Also in reference to some people opinions on how they think I abandoned my post, how can you possibly determine that? You don't know my schedule; I work 12 hour shift and then I'm off for 8 until my next 12 hour shift. I'm a 911 Police Dispatcher and I only have a couple days off, please excuse me while I go save another 50 lives on my next 12 hour shift. I don't have have a lot of free time.

Now to start my explanation on my post. I am sorry if it comes off a little less detailed than what I intended. I admit it was a bit of a rage post; come on we all do it at one point or another (and if not then your a rotten apple liar). To continue on my explanation; I have noticed that almost 60-80% of the Klingons and or Romulans (mostly Romulans) are cloaking and decloaking virtually at will with a very short cool down. I kinda have a bit of an issue regarding that cooldown on ANY ship. Before anyone says that I need to invest in Sensors and stuff to of which I all ready know how to do being a member for a good amount of years. Investing in Sensors and finding the cloakers is not the problem, Cloaking is not a problem! I think is an excalent idea and mechanic in game! I just have a slight issue regarding the cool down timer on Cloak/Battle Cloak/Enhanced Battle Cloak. Perhaps to a extended total of 30 sec. Not a lot of Abilities have the Generous 20 sec cool down that many cloakers experience. The average Cool Down on most abilities is 30-45 sec I believe. Maybe 30 sec for Cloak. 25 sec for Battle Cloak and 20 sec for Enhanced Battle Cloak

An extended cool-down is the topic to be discussed on this post and the original reason for this post in general to be posted. Now please...Discuss."
Fleet Guardian of Nova Core

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by starschildren1 on

Comments

• Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not really sure why it needs to be changed.
  • Options
    whitewinged7whitewinged7 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    well im just getting "back" into the game so I cant really offer a substantial opinion from what I have played of my romulan you can cloak relatively whenever you want.

This does not however make you OP it just means instead of dying and coming back you can sit there and think about how your going to die as soon as you uncloak.

Besides all stealth aspects in every MMO are always subject to constant change im sure this will be nerfed /buffed appropriately
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Before we start DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MOVE THIS THREAD THIS IS SOMETHING THE WHOLE COMMUNITY NEEDS TO DISCUSS!

Yeah moderators, don't you dare question the will of...of...whoever this guy is.
    A vast majority of us including myself are pretty upset

Really. How many mice do you have in your pocket, thus comprising this "vast majority?" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, to be fair ships that can cloak in battle are handicapped in otherways.

BoP's have alot less hull points, and Warbirds suffer from lower power levels that most.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really don't get why a subset of players I've come to call 'Feddiebears' find battlecloaks to be so overpowered. They really aren't; They have a lot of limits as-is, are easily countered, and come with drawbacks inherent in the ships that receive them. A battlecloak is a situational tool at best, and suicidal at worst.
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Let me guess: a crappy fed player got owned in pvp... came here to vent. Don't play fed then lol.
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Before we start DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MOVE THIS THREAD THIS IS SOMETHING THE WHOLE COMMUNITY NEEDS TO DISCUSS!

Ok so as alot of you may know the issues with the whole Cloaking process. A vast majority of us including myself are pretty upset with Romulans and Klingons Cloaking at will in the middle of a fight. Let alone literaly 3 seconds after they just decloaked....

There needs to be a longer cooldown timer on Battle Cloak the Romulans and Klingons use...

Like maybe a 30 second cooldown at least and or most. This has gotten way out of hand..enough is enough..
    Dude, really? Are you going to put the capital print in any thread you start? Mods do what they see fit to keep things nice and tidy and in the right section. You screaming that they shouldn't won't change what they think they need to do to keep threads in the section they belong.

As for the cloak CD, meh I don't really care. I still toasted lots of Klingons before. And when my Klingon ship is strong enough for PvP, it will be exciting to experience it from the other side too. Cloaking requires a different fighting strategy. If the cloaks annoy you, then start a Klingon toon and then you can get one yourself. Qapla'!
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Dude, really? Are you going to put the capital print in any thread you start?

Apparently "from this point forward, yes" is the proper answer. A quick search shows 4 threads made by the OP, the first in late 2012 then one in late 2013 without the capital "I am above moderation" banner and the second two today, both with said banner.

EDIT: Hmm. Interestingly, all 4 also appear to be "drive-by" threads. The OP started each, and hasn't posted again in any of them at this time.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Apparently "from this point forward, yes" is the proper answer. A quick search shows 4 threads made by the OP, the first in late 2012 then one in late 2013 without the capital "I am above moderation" banner and the second two today, both with said banner.

EDIT: Hmm. Interestingly, all 4 also appear to be "drive-by" threads. The OP started each, and hasn't posted again in any of them at this time.
    Waiting for someone to agree with him?
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I play with characters have access to BC, ones that don't, and ones that have no cloak at all. I fail to see how BC is an issue. Yes a ship with BC can decloak and recloak pretty quickly while still in battle, that's the whole point in it. Ships with BC are penalized in other areas in matters of power levels, shields and hull strength.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014

this thread is op plz nerf to the romulan or klingon sub forum for discussion. same issue same deal, and i dont like to do it either when you figure out what just happened.

as for the cloaking, everything is fine the way it is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Due to this overly ... well... whatever.
    I wanted to give you an appropriate answer by posting this.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    don't think there is any issues at all really. I have 3 feds 3 romulans and 2 Klingons all have different ships, different builds that suit them imo.

battle cloak don't have a 3 sec cd so your either exaggerating massively or your seeing some one decloaking and then hitting another ability.

i can safely say that feds can do very well in pve and pvp(yeah the entire game) without using a cloaking device. i hate threads like this. because it makes the federation players seem like the borg. as they want to assimilate everything the Klingons and now romulans have.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    indeed, could be seeing them decloak and then pop the singularity manipulation ability form Rom rep T5.

Probably makes more sense if they are supposedly "Cloaking in the middle of a fight" as short of a Scimitar with the right consoles, shields would go down when cloaking so all that fire that would be getting poured on them would go right to their hull. Unless if course there is no fire, in which case it wasn't "in the middle of a fight".
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Well, I guess it IS time for another "OMG cloak is OP" thread. :rolleyes:

I don't recall ever being polled about this. Who was it you did poll for your vast majority? So far it's looking like the majority don't agree with you. :P

Cloak is fine, you just need to change up your gameplay and learn how to defeat it. There are many ways to mitigate or defeat a cloak.

Sounds like you need to stay out of Kerrat.

Also, shouldn't this go under Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics?
  • Options
    kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2014
    I for one totally agree with the OP! The 3 second decloak and cloak of the B'rel retro needs to be fixed so that it fires while CLOAKED, just like the one from the movie.

As for dealing with cloaking birds...Hold your torps until they are about the cloak. It is pretty easy to anticipate. Then high-yield trico and boom.

Also, there are plenty of ways to decloak ships, or prevent them from recloaking. You need to make use of these methods because the cooldown on a blown cloak is plenty of time to pop a bird of prey if you know what you are doing.

You can't BeamFireAtWill all day long and expect to blow up a good KDF player.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't we have some Science ability thing that Boffs use to force ships to uncloak?

Why not just get that and use it?
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    indeed, invest more points in detection, carry tractor mines (they can tractor cloaked ships, and once tractored they automatically are decloaked) etc.... there are plenty of ways to fight cloaked ships. You merely need to adjust your tactics.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    OP, if they're doing it after 3 seconds, they're using something other than cloaking (there's a couple of powers with similar effects). Even battlecloak has a 15 second CD, and though it can be reduced by boffs, but not by THAT much. And standard cloaks won't activate while under Red Alert.

Admittedly, it is annoying the 'sure its counterable' argument, as yes thats true IF you're carrying the right powers or have a friend who's doing so, whereas the cloaker gets it built in at no cost and its just click the button. Plus a lot of ships simply don't have the room for anti-cloak powers in a general purpose build, and the whole teamwork argument is pretty useless if you'd rather play alone. It is for exactly this reason that I prefer my cloaking ships, initiative at the push of a button, and most people can't do anything about it.

Like someone else said, probably best to just stay out of Kerrat. Biggest cesspool in the game, and not worth wasting effort on.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Waiting for someone to agree with him?

Maybe. Based on the 2012 thread, I hope he's not holding his breath. :D
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another new guy wades in and says this:
    Roms cloak, in the series they'd decloak, fire, cloak etc allot of the time.
    I don't play klink but I have two feds, one with avenger cloak, and a rom with battlecloak, honestly it feels right and balanced. The battlecloak etc of roms is offset by other things like weaker hulls etc.
    For the first time since I started posting on here, no. Just no.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    in the middle of a fight.

Well, there's your problem! You're PvPing! ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think it's completely unfair that the OP decloaks, fires off a post, and then recloaks never to be heard of in the thread again. Obviously the OP needs to be nerfed.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Stealth nerf :D
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    this is why when a BoP pulls that stunt on me i instantly fire off the ionized gas torpedo. It still ruins days of BoP when fired at the correct time.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    BoPs and T'varo torp spammers literally do nothing to me. Most the time I just think, "what was that" and go about attempting to kill their vaper buddies. Really, you just need to shift your paradigm here OP. You're not at a disadvantage because you don't have a cloak, you set the terms of battle.

Get some keybinds, always move, stay buffed up at all times. When the "dreaded" alpha comes, hit brace for impact and evasive maneuvers (and RSP if needed) and you will have so much resist and defense that even the best builds can't hurt you. If you're a sci captain and you have tractor beam, you have options to punish the attacker.

Now I will say, for only -40 power (which is negated too easily), singularity powers are somewhat annoying. Far from OP, more like a crutch.

Oh, and if you're going to pvp, get over instakills. Alpha literally takes zero skill - find lone target, mash spacebar.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Like someone else said, probably best to just stay out of Kerrat. Biggest cesspool in the game, and not worth wasting effort on.

I'm calling a lie on this one, everyone knows the biggest cesspool in the game is ESD. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I will say it's a little irritating to go into a PVP against battle cloakers. The NPCs don't do it, and I don't PVP often enough to bother speccing to counter it so it's hard to kill them since they can always run away. But then, this one guy in my fleet has a completely cloakless Mobius that can do the same thing.
    stoutes wrote: »
    Due to this overly ... well... whatever.
    I wanted to give you an appropriate answer by posting this.
    WTF, man? :D
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I guess it is possible and it's canon