test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Priority One Interviews D'Angelo

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In this week's episode of Priority One, Executive Producer Stephen D'Angelo stops by to talk about the Season 8.5 and beyond.

Link to the interview.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Pretty good for a reintroduction interview. The part about the Dyson rep not taking long enough was a bit disturbing though, god forbid people actually branch outside of the grind and discover the rest of the game. :P
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Pretty good for a reintroduction interview. The part about the Dyson rep not taking long enough was a bit disturbing though, god forbid people actually branch outside of the grind and discover the rest of the game. :P

While there was some good stuff in the interview, it's this part that will stick with me. The impression it creates doesn't leave me feeling good about the future of STO.
  • smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    arg where is the interview? what 4 hours in god? everything I hear of this "new" exec producer is he is a an jerk and does not want story just grind grind GRIND I don't like this.
    The game is going to get BORING.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    that overreaction to that lobi tetryon single canon is hilarious
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    smazazel wrote: »
    arg where is the interview? what 4 hours in god? everything I hear of this "new" exec producer is he is a an jerk and does not want story just grind grind GRIND I don't like this.
    The game is going to get BORING.

He somewhat explained at least to my comprehension is that like the dyson rep people have gone through it real fast. Although he did say he didn't want it to be boring where its the same thing over and over because he did say a grind like that is boring.

A few things I liked was the crafting to get that done and the feeling off this game being off in many areas.

Now the not surprised that was not mentioned was the KDF lol. The romulan stuff is pretty much all canon for the most part and the fed side is somewhat canon. The actual gripe I have with their development with the KDF is it doesn't exactly feel Klingon. Tons of melee weapons/ritual weapons but yet bat'leth is the only one we have access too. No news on bops getting flanking feature we were told about back in october/november. I'm kind of hoping for the most part that start offering the fed and kdf side sets like romulans got to make those both feel more star trek or canon :)
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can't help but agree. I'm tired of the grind with the rep system. I'd rather it build up over time by just doing missions and being involved in the game rather than having to run the same STFs or random things on New Romulus or whatever. Once you've done the rep grind on one character it becomes extremely painful to do it again and again and again. The reputation system and dilithium should be set into the game as a direct reward for time spent playing as opposed to something that exists outside of the game as a side system. Outside of certain missions I'm not earning dilithium or rep while I'm playing actual story arcs, Trek should be concerned with story first and everything should revolve around that mechanically.
  • wfs5519wfs5519 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    About the social reps...a good idea.

I think they could earn small reward bonuses that add to the game in a small way, but to the social reps in a big way.

for example, a martial arts arena that gives new moves or combo moves or small upgraded mele/hand to hand moves.

A holodeck running program that rewards a teeny dash extension

a targeting program that increaases accuracy hp by a smalll amount every time you play

(The effect can sometimes be on a timer, like for the last two)
    it would be like going back to base to train for a tough assignment, which wares you out by the time you return.
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    DYSON REP? Too long? Get off the drugs, buddy! It's Nukara/Republic/Omega that are too slow and costly!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It is a good thing that all my alts have enough Marks to get them through their remaining Reputations.

Not sure I will be doing any further Reputations on them though, I will just stick to my one main again.

Sad really. :(
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i like what im hearing from him, im glad he thinks pvp is worth developing. i think the games in good hands, hes got good prioritys. im NOT in NEED of new rep, im done, and enjoying the fact that i have no rep to grind!
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And so begins the regin of smirk.......
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Will there be a FE Rerun done like the preS8 one preS9 as opposed that how FE Reruns had been done before S8?
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    pyrogxmk3 wrote: »
    DYSON REP? Too long? Get off the drugs, buddy! It's Nukara/Republic/Omega that are too slow and costly!

Costly, definitely. Too slow? Well... Not so much to be honest. Thou i'd still rather see an "Account Wide" Reputation system. The "Double XP" boost certainly helps, but it's still a grind. When you've got multiple characters, the grind becomes downright painful.

Where's the Lobby for making reputations Account Wide?
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dyson rep is ridiculously easy to get - Run the battlezone for a couple of hours, trade in the marks for Commendations, ignore for a week, repeat, ignore for two weeks, repeat, complete.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    Dyson rep is ridiculously easy to get - Run the battlezone for a couple of hours, trade in the marks for Commendations, ignore for a week, repeat, ignore for two weeks, repeat, complete.

Heck ... five minute mission each day for a commendation in the space zone does it as well.

Loved the pace of this rep.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Does anyone else feel uncomfortable being referred to as a "customer." I'd much rather be called a gamer or player. The former feels way too detached and business-oriented in an industry that's really turning on the business side of operations (re: indies).
  • rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Does anyone else feel uncomfortable being referred to as a "customer." I'd much rather be called a gamer or player. The former feels way too detached and business-oriented in an industry that's really turning on the business side of operations (re: indies).

Not really, customer suggests that your paying for something. gamer suggests you play the game. All customers are gamers but not all gamers are customers with F2P :)
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    Heck ... five minute mission each day for a commendation in the space zone does it as well.

Oh aye, but having 20-odd commendations to hand whilst the initial outlay of time is higher, you don't have to keep playing the game to carry on. Log in, collect reward, contribute, logout. That's what reading this forum tells me - People want an 'I win' button.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The part about the Dyson rep not taking long enough was a bit disturbing though.

He didn't actually say that, did he?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    No, he didn't say that at all.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    captsol wrote: »
    I can't help but agree. I'm tired of the grind with the rep system. I'd rather it build up over time by just doing missions and being involved in the game rather than having to run the same STFs or random things on New Romulus or whatever. Once you've done the rep grind on one character it becomes extremely painful to do it again and again and again. The reputation system and dilithium should be set into the game as a direct reward for time spent playing as opposed to something that exists outside of the game as a side system. Outside of certain missions I'm not earning dilithium or rep while I'm playing actual story arcs, Trek should be concerned with story first and everything should revolve around that mechanically.

I agree 100%. To add on, I think that reputation should have an effect on the world around you. If I have tier 5 in Romulan rep, then when I come across a Tal Shiar ship in Tau Dewa, or in an exploration cluster, they should haul tail. Or maybe use different tactics such as cloaking more and playing more defensively. OR get more aggressive if one has unlocked Tal Shiar's Most Wanted and come after you in places where they normally wouldn't. There should be some indication that they understand that there's a strong possibility that they aren't going to make it out alive.

It should be like that for the Breen as well. After already wasting Thot Trell I don't want to hear some Breen trash talking about firebombing Starfleet Command back in the Dominion War...at least without having the option of responding that not one of those Breen ships made it out alive. :cool:

It's a reputation. Let Captain Klaa demonstrate.

Enterprise? THAT'S KIRK'S SHIP!! If I defeat Kirk...
    Then you will be the most powerful warrior in the galaxy.
    Lay In A Course for Nimbus III!....Qa'Pla!!

If we have a higher reputation we have a higher profile. So to carry on from that Tal Shiar example above, if the rep is higher then we should also get Romulan Republic ships jumping in to help. And having the purchasable calls for help doesn't really count. Picard didn't call Donatra in the Bassen Rift, she showed up because it was the right thing to do. That type of thing should be automatic, they're not at our beck and call.

I love that with the Romulan and Dyson's reps that it actually unlocked missions that progressed the storyline, keep going with that. Adding some that show the story behind the workings of the Task Force Omega could be cool too. Even something as simple as touring D'Vak's flagship.

I thought the pace of the Dyson rep was perfect. Removing the Daily Mission in the space zone sucked as it was good source of marks and dilithium and as they said, rewarded you for playing the content which I thought was the goal. But even after that, their fix didn't actually damage the progression of the reputation. A normal progression is 40 commendations in 40 days. That is easily calculable. After the sponsorship that drops to twenty days for each subsequent character. I find that imminently doable and fair. Sure an account rep would be cool, but y'know...this isn't bad.

Sponsoring another character on another rep takes a similar amount of time to complete it just takes longer to get together the marks than to grab a commendation.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited February 2014
    The part about the Dyson rep not taking long enough was a bit disturbing though
    No, he didn't say that at all.

Um, actually he did say that. During the discussion of revamping the other Reps, he stated that people were finishing the Dyson Rep too fast and were looking around for what was next. He said that it would need tuning - which one would take as it needing to be slowed down...

Which, yeah - the Dyson Rep was done in wink 'n blink compared to the other Reputations. Not talking about with the sponsorship...it's just wham, bam, done...

...so yeah, I'd expect them to tweak it so it takes longer to complete - which - well, what do you know...we've seen with the change to the calendar already.
  • bobogheimbobogheim Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I could hear from Stephen that there are plans to make a 2nd expansion and a new faction.

Interesting and exciting for the Delta Quadrant.

What do you think about this?
    edited February 2014

The changes were great and liked them. I'm actually almost finished getting tier 5 in every rep on every character I have (except for the banker lol). If they are going to change the way it works the solution I would offer is those of us who are day to day players, gold, or lts have a way to keep it this way because we aren't the kind of people who will get to tier 5 and then stop playing something lol.

For anyone who knows me... This rep has actually allowed me to get so far as to get all my kdf characters to a point where I'm actually grinding on fed toons lol.
    edited February 2014
    bobogheim wrote: »
    I could hear from Stephen that there are plans to make a 2nd expansion and a new faction.

Interesting and exciting for the Delta Quadrant.

What do you think about this?

He confirmed the Expansion (but we already knew that from Geko)...and as is the standard party line, there is neither denial nor confirmation of an additional faction with said Expansion.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    He uh... he kinda did.

He pointed out that he noticed that players finished the Dyson rep very fast and then sat around board with nothing to do afterward. He doesn't want that.
    edited February 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    He uh... he kinda did.

He pointed out that he noticed that players finished the Dyson rep very fast and then sat around board with nothing to do afterward. He doesn't want that.

They don't have enough alts then :P
  • colorblind90colorblind90 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Good interview, looking forward to see what comes out in the future... I believe D?ANGELO means a switch into a good direction again... :)
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Um, actually he did say that. During the discussion of revamping the other Reps, he stated that people were finishing the Dyson Rep too fast and were looking around for what was next. He said that it would need tuning - which one would take as it needing to be slowed down...

Which, yeah - the Dyson Rep was done in wink 'n blink compared to the other Reputations. Not talking about with the sponsorship...it's just wham, bam, done...

...so yeah, I'd expect them to tweak it so it takes longer to complete - which - well, what do you know...we've seen with the change to the calendar already.

I never finished the rep and then sat around bored. I finished the rep work for the day and then went off to do something else interesting. I tended to other grinds. Which was the point.

Don't undo that please.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They don't have enough alts then :P
    You're telling that to a guy that has 32 characters.

:P yeah, I know.