test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Priority One Interviews D'Angelo

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I love that with the Romulan and Dyson's reps that it actually unlocked missions that progressed the storyline, keep going with that. Adding some that show the story behind the workings of the Task Force Omega could be cool too. Even something as simple as touring D'Vak's flagship.

That's actually the thing I hate the most about Reputation. Attaching story missions to a huge grind is kind of unfair to players who, like me, don't really care about getting the newest shinies, and who are subsequently confused when the next FE is all about that Iconian gateway that you apparently found beneath New Romulus.

All the story stuff should be in the mission journal. Make Reputation all about the gear for players who want it.

... Anyway, about the interview. I like how D'Angelo wants to polish some of the older features in the game, as a lot of stuff could use a revamp like the Klingon War arc got (Romulan and Cardassian fronts next?), and I would love to see a re-release of demorecord that players can use for recording "free marketing" videos. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I thought it was a good pod cast. Like the idea of Season 9 coming out around April. Which isn't too far off. The Dyson Rep isn't too long, I know its easier to do than the other 2. And don't cost me a ton of EC. At least the Romulan one I could break even. I love how they add a story to progress it as you move through the tiers. This at least gives me something to work for and to do the Rep. Due to no story, I didn't bother doing the Nukura past Tier 2. After that I got tired of mowing down Tholians. As for him saying I'm done with the Rep. What is next. I always have something to do with my 3 main characters. Plus I only play on weekends, so I play at a lot slower pace.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited February 2014
    That's actually the thing I hate the most about Reputation. Attaching story missions to a huge grind is kind of unfair to players who, like me, don't really care about getting the newest shinies, and who are subsequently confused when the next FE is all about that Iconian gateway that you apparently found beneath New Romulus.

All the story stuff should be in the mission journal. Make Reputation all about the gear for players who want it.

This is the only way to get me to do the Rep. With out a story between it. I rather not even do it. I love how they add the story to it. The Rep isn't that bad and you don't have to do it for the gear. I done the Romulan on my Fed for not the gear, but the story. Plus it helps when you RP, as it shows you doing a tour of duty in the area. Instead of seeing how fast you get done in that area and move on. I done Reps on other games. And this is far more easiest to handle. Compared to the others.

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2014

... Anyway, about the interview. I like how D'Angelo wants to polish some of the older features in the game, as a lot of stuff could use a revamp like the Klingon War arc got (Romulan and Cardassian fronts next?), and I would love to see a re-release of demorecord that players can use for recording "free marketing" videos. ;)
    farmallm wrote: »
    This is the only way to get me to do the Rep. With out a story between it. I rather not even do it. I love how they add the story to it. The Rep isn't that bad and you don't have to do it for the gear. I done the Romulan on my Fed for not the gear, but the story. Plus it helps when you RP, as it shows you doing a tour of duty in the area. Instead of seeing how fast you get done in that area and move on. I done Reps on other games. And this is far more easiest to handle. Compared to the others.

These two illustrate two valid points.

For the casual player who may take months to get the reps done if at all, implementing story missions through the rep is a little unfair.

On the other hand unlocking pieces of story through doing the rep is a wonderful reward that really integrates the rep into the game as a whole.

A possible solution is for the stories told via the rep to diverge from the primary story this making them a gaiden. That may be difficult as thus far each rep has been introduced for content that is built in to the advancing story arc. The Romulan rep lead to the Gateway on New Romulus which lead to the Dyson Sphere gateway which lead to the Dyson Rep which leads us back to the Undine. Who knows what lurks in Season 9? The D'Angelo knows but he ain't tellin.

Anyway, perhaps future reps could tell side stories with details unavailable in the main story without having such pivotal discoveries as the New Romulus Gateway (I think Nelen Exil is a good balance, but they weren't entirely missions except the last one). Similar to the assignment chains in the DOFF system but playable.

It's a very tough balance, and I don't envy the devs having to maintain it and tweak it.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lol, if anything the Lobi Hirogen cannon needs a buff.

I really enjoyed hearing about D'Angelo's excitement about the game. I'm starting to feel kind of weary in my gameplay, so someone who's so chipper and ambitious with the game can only be a plus for me. Especially hearing that he wants to work on ESD, I know that's big with Tacofangs too. By all means, work together on that, and then get me to that underground city on Andoria.

Glad to hear about the power tray tweaks. Definitely keep them synced to ships, and please look into those sticky-dud buttons people keep complaining about, or at least officially give us an answer as to whether it's lag, something in the game, or a casting time that isn't very well explained, because I've heard all 3.

And please, if season 9 is going to be more of the sphere and the delta quadrant, please get us out by season 10. Please. I respect the amount of work you've done, but very little of 8's content has added to my enjoyment of the gameplay.
    edited February 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    These two illustrate two valid points.

For the casual player who may take months to get the reps done if at all, implementing story missions through the rep is a little unfair.

On the other hand unlocking pieces of story through doing the rep is a wonderful reward that really integrates the rep into the game as a whole.

A possible solution is for the stories told via the rep to diverge from the primary story this making them a gaiden. That may be difficult as thus far each rep has been introduced for content that is built in to the advancing story arc. The Romulan rep lead to the Gateway on New Romulus which lead to the Dyson Sphere gateway which lead to the Dyson Rep which leads us back to the Undine. Who knows what lurks in Season 9? The D'Angelo knows but he ain't tellin.

Anyway, perhaps future reps could tell side stories with details unavailable in the main story without having such pivotal discoveries as the New Romulus Gateway (I think Nelen Exil is a good balance, but they weren't entirely missions except the last one). Similar to the assignment chains in the DOFF system but playable.

It's a very tough balance, and I don't envy the devs having to maintain it and tweak it.

I only play on weekends which means I'm on it 4 hours per week "IF" I get that. And I still do the rep. Yeah it takes me a few months, but I expect to be behind the main group due to this.

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Great interview.

I breezed through that dyson rep with ease. It was fun at the time but now I have less goals to aim for. less reason to log in. Short grinds are not always better for the player or the game. Sometimes the journey is the fun part, not the destination.

the others are too long and could do with being reduced, if nothing for taking out the junk item requirements but I have no objection to future ones taking a bit longer/require more work.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Great interview.

I breezed through that dyson rep with ease. It was fun at the time but now I have less goals to aim for. less reason to log in. Short grinds are not always better for the player or the game. Sometimes the journey is the fun part, not the destination.

the others are too long and could do with being reduced, if nothing for taking out the junk item requirements but I have no objection to future ones taking a bit longer/require more work.

I see the problem more with doing the reps, getting the gear and then..... Well, then you can use your amazing new equipment to do exactly the same things you did before. :D

I personally have the most fun leveling new characters and playing missions, LoR was amazing for me, Season 8 and beyond not so much, I wonder why that is... :o
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    I see the problem more with doing the reps, getting the gear and then..... Well, then you can use your amazing new equipment to do exactly the same things you did before. :D

I personally have the most fun leveling new characters and playing missions, LoR was amazing for me, Season 8 and beyond not so much, I wonder why that is... :o

loR was amazing. Problem is i played it 2, 3 times. I don't think ive touched a single piece of LoR Content for maybe 4 months or so?

The vast majority of people play episodes and then dont play them again. That's why MMO's need grind.

I guess they could try and think of a good reason to get people to replay episodes more often. Things like the FE replay tend to go over quite well. Perhaps episodes need to award marks and things?
  • dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dyson rep "not taking long enough". Seriously??????

I personally much preferred Dyson to the other reps in terms of convenience. Please dont undo all that good work with the next rep.

If anything, you should be making existing reps more like Dyson, not the other way round. And/or easing the grind further for those with multiple characters (for example, making sponsorship tokens halve the costs of MK12 rep gear would be nice)

The mark costs for OMEGA and Rom (assuming we dont want to bunny hug) reps are especially painful now that Bonus Mark hours are gone, replaced by the bonus mark weekend which will apparently come round once a MONTH. And as for end game gear? Even more painful to acquire.

Still, other than the loss of bonus mark hour and the grind for the anniversary ship I think 8.5 has really moved STO in the right direction. Revamped story content, QoL improvements like ship switch all good things which make the game much more enjoyable

The only really big annoyances left for for me is the cloak-interact bug, and the absence of fully fitted out (inc boff trainers) starbases for both factions outside of ESD or Qo'Nos.

And a Romulan Security officer on New Romulus for turn over contraband would be nice too.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I heard the Podcast and I just wanted to add that I -absolutely- disagree about slowing down rep grinding.

Came here last September, -really- enjoyed Dysan ground events and I found the rep grinding just right, even with the weekend event.

I am now working on Omega rep, Deferi ground missions are -very- stingy with the rep and it's taking me forever to grab any sizeable rep. I feel like its water torture, drop by drop. The STF's are a little better I suppose but they require an hour cooldown and my schedule is erratic and honestly I prefer the ground missions.

Sure that 20 hour cooldown for each Dysan Rep XP advancement (2500 a pop) will take me weeks, but I can live with it as long as I don't have to spend huge amounts of time grinding for each spoonful of marks like I do for Omega...

If you make the older reps like Dyson it would vastly improve my enjoyment of rep grinding.

If you slow down Dysan and make the grind for others slower it will make me very unhappy and I will find STO much less fun.

If you are concerned about more rep systems seaming repetitive, I can understand, but I'd rather have that, with some imaginative new rewards, than making grinding them slower. Repetitive may not seem that much fun to you, but I assure you, slower is substantially less fun to me.

I wanted to continue to play the Dysan ground missions even after finishing the rep because I find them -fun-..thats the key, don't worry about making players go so slow and make the missions fun and it won't matter.

And while we're at it, you could make the Nukara ground missions reward more marks per mission...

I came to STO to get away from my job, not to take on another unpaid one.

Thank you -very- much for listening, I am glad that STO management is really trying to make this a fun place for us...
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's spelled dyson, by the way
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I semi-hate myself for saying it, but Dyson Rep was a touch too easy if you traded in marks for commendations. 5 commendations for 350 marks was slightly over-generous. But not by a huge margin. 3 commendations for the same price, would probably by much more in line between convenience and actually playing the game.
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Please Mr D'angelo....grinding reps are not in and of themselves playing the game. I think most of us look forward to being done with a rep grind so we have more time to play as we see fit. If the philosophy is that it is a problem when players have no reps to pound out..I would say for most of us....we would disagree.

We do like to pursue new shineys here and there so not saying never add stuff to pound out...but there shoud be a period of time where a player gets to enjoy having climbed the rep mountain and gets to experiment with his or her new toys. Everytime we get a new ship...I get new ideas on how to use the toys I own already.

Ty :)
  • flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I listened to that also and like the op do like the dyson rep system a lot more than the rest. And even when I've got it done on all my toons I'm sure I'll still go because I find it a fun way to get dilithium. I'd also really like to see older ground area's like deferi and the nukara one work more like dino land. Particularly the part of bring down boffs.

I can see what the lead dev saying happening though. It a lot faster getting the dino commendation and quicker getting marks themselves. So if your there for just the bare minimum of time to get what you want then you won't hang around long.

I'd like to hope what the devs take from both response and meta data is yes people do like the way we've did this but they don't stick around long enough for us. So we have one variable in our equation right we just need to find the second. Not that we need to change the first one. I don't know maybe add some long term use. Like you can convert dino marks into fleet marks or something.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    DON'T tell the guy to do something, or he will do the opposite OP...

We tried to talk some sense into the guy back when he was EP the last time, and he ALWAYS did what we told him not to.

If you want to get anywhere with him, tell him it's a good idea and that you endorse it... That way he will think "wow... this must be bad for us, if people like it", and then change it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • lynce1975lynce1975 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So he prefers ppl to not have fun while grinding? not a good move,i found that the time spent with dyson mark gathering was actually spot on, the other reps need to improve, why do mmo devs always decide to ruin things by picking good ideas and lower then to average instead of picking the average and make them better?

Add the lousy event we're having now and the weekend boost (that we're still waiting to see if it's any good), and he's not someone i want deciding the future of sto.
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2014

You're right, sorry, was in a rush.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rumors in the clouds at the moment with nothing confirmed yet. and as ever nothing is ever 100% certain.

i would like to see the pen put to paper then 3rd hand whispers on the subject. the current dyson grind is alright, admittedly the 5 comms for 350 marks is a bit easy to get, saves me from another annoying stf breach/spire grind for one a day.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    admittedly the 5 comms for 350 marks is a bit easy to get, saves me from another annoying stf breach/spire grind for one a day.

Isn't that the whole point though? It was implemented mainly for the Weekend Warriors, who wouldn't be doing Spire/Breach once a day, but might do it several times over the weekend. In which case, it performs fine. The main issue here is that it can't be restricted to the WWs, so people like me who have no life can get a commendation from Spire/Breach and then spend all day in the Battlezone getting Marks for the Marks->Commendations project.

As to the OP - seriously D'Angelo, you need to stop talking and start listening to the community. We know better than you how good or bad a grind is. Dyson is good. All the reps are better for the Sponsorship program but ideally, you should streamline all of them to work in the same way the Dyson rep works.

And, since you can't monetise it (Marks for Lobi and whatnot) then I don't see the point of increasing the grind, other than to TRIBBLE people off and cover up a content drought.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Isn't that the whole point though? It was implemented mainly for the Weekend Warriors, who wouldn't be doing Spire/Breach once a day, but might do it several times over the weekend. In which case, it performs fine. The main issue here is that it can't be restricted to the WWs, so people like me who have no life can get a commendation from Spire/Breach and then spend all day in the Battlezone getting Marks for the Marks->Commendations project.

the point is that it was meant to be another cryptic grind, i cant speak for the devs nor would i care to. the dyson rep i doubt was meant to be this easy, its been just a week and im half way to t3 as it is. a few more days, or a total of around 2 weeks and il have nalen exil on the team and a suit of battle armour. to me it shouldnt be this easy, not from the likes of a cryptic game.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    D'Angelo's concern is not about how the grinds affect us, but how they affect the game (read: PWE's bottom line). The impression I got is that their metrics were telling them they weren't getting a good return on their investment, and so tweaking the system is not about it being too easy, but rather about how little ROI they got for developing it in the first place.

To which I reason: If your concern is that the game isn't painful enough for you (Cryptic and PWE) to make enough money from us, you're in the wrong business.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally, I think the 'whole' reputation system needs to be sped up. Cooldown timers, resource requirements, and store item dilithium costs need to be cut down.

While the Fleet holdings (Spire, Base, and Embassy) are for hardcore players, the reputation system should be for casual players.

Fleet Holdings = Long term progression for a long term (obsessive player) experience. Long term goals.
    Reputation System = Quick progression for a casual (casual player) experience. Instant gratification.

Grinding is not fun.

When I am in a casual and laid back mood, I happen to spend more money on something I like. If I feel like something will take forever, I usually get turned off really quickly. I will most likely find another game to play.

I am almost done with the episode missions. As I look at the requirements and time-gates for the reputation system, the casual and leisure side of me wants to quit. ...and, that is before I buy my first c-store ship.

I have a few c-store ships I wish to buy, but the reputation system is preventing me from buying them.

I play games to relax not to work.

I already have a full time job.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    From what the new XP has talked about, slow down the reps, the leveling, and more monetization of STO, I am going to venture to say that I foresee a rep booster in the zen store, wait, Lobi store for about 100 lobi.
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It seems like every time I'm coming back to the game, Cryptic comes about and reinforces my initial decision to leave.

I think it's going about things the wrong way. Go ahead and give subscribers than an easier access to rep grinding thus giving people a way to support the game without feeling stripped of their wallet.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If they change anything about rep, Less repeated content would be a priority for me, I can't stand playing the same STF hundreds of times, I know its in the hundreds, i have the service medal accolades , After a few plays with a decent team you have the formula nailed down and you don't even feel the challenge anymore

It gets to the point where the game content starts to feel hollow and unrewarding, but of course if i want to get me those shiny toys i gotta play them

I will say the Dyson rep chains were a massive step in the right direction in my opinion , the adventure zone i believe should be a template for future development, Give us more large semi persistent zones, with other players and a large variety of objectives, and enemies to overcome
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2014

?? his thread title spelt it right...

*snickers and runs off*
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    At least have the rep make sense, like the Dyson rep does. I mean, chasing bunnies for High Tech Romulan weaponry is utter bullocks.
  • skonnskonn Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    askray wrote: »
    ?? his thread title spelt it right...

*snickers and runs off*

And his first post (did you read it?) repeatedly spelled it wrong. And yes, it was annoying.
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dyson Rep was nice because it wasn't demanding on expertise to do projects or buy items. It was also nice you had the option to do hourly projects if you play more often or just the 20hr one and either way it was still rewarding to everyone.
    I was really looking forward to them retrofitting the older Reps.
    Every time they make something better they have to TRIBBLE something over too. It always ends up feeling like 1 step forward and 2 back.