test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Steps Between Stars - all black rooms for some players *Resolved*

Comments

• ultijuiceultijuice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just a quick little update, atleast three other people from my fleet reported that the "underwater view trick" worked for them.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ultijuice wrote: »
    Just a quick little update, atleast three other people from my fleet reported that the "underwater view trick" worked for them.

Ill try 2moz im to pissed off to try at the moment 1st release under a nee captain n its buged to hell like all the others
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • guunieguunie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Turning "underwater" effects back on worked for me.
  • sykes79sykes79 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm also getting the same problem when donning the EV suit and stepping out into the debris field; ie., I can see a little bit if the sun and the solar flares (sometimes) while everything else around me is completely black. Because of this I cannot complete this part of the mission.

And, just so you guys know when attempting to fix the problem, I'm a Mac user and am running the game via your Mac Beta Client (no fancy Bootcamp here). So, Direct X is not an option for me!

Hopefully this gets fixed soon. :)

*Update: I fixed my problem*

Yay, I fixed it! And, this is what I did:

1) Start the game and on the character selection screen go in to your advanced video options.
    2) Under the advanced video options, select "Underwater View" (make sure there's a check mark in the box).
    3) Restart the game and the issue should be fixed.

Also note, I'm not running anything fancy with regards to video options. I have my details set to "recommended", and the "Underwater View" is the only ting that I changed manually in the advanced options.

A big thank you to the many players that posted this fix! :)

Thank you so much for posting this info. I'm also a mac user, running STO through wine and turning on "Underwater View" worked perfectly.
    SyD2j3q.jpg
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We do have an inbound fix where you'll be able to start the mission from inside Joint Command.

What about the pitch blackness from whilst entering space in the EV suit? None of the fixes recommended by other players have worked.

Will the qmendations be extended as a reward (400) in lieu of this hiccup because I haven't been able to complete it nice. :-(

Thanks.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • jadyvarionjadyvarion Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The following solution worked for me (windows xp, dx9c)
    1. Start the game in safe mode
    2. Set video quality to maximum
    3. Resize your screen
    and voila all textures magically appeared
  • flagship1stfleetflagship1stfleet Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Need I say more. Wy system crashed on 1/30 after entering the steps between ths stars
    mission. black rooms partial grafics ect. just like we all mentioned. must be bugged "LOL"
    I weas running around in the dark and got so stuck on something I could not get out.
    Had to quit .
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,166 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Worked for me too :D
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited January 2014
    Here too , that underwater view trick worked
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I know your busy and keep up the good work, but do they have a fix being made for the pitch black space walk? I cant even finish the mission because of it. :(
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I haven't seen any devs say they've identified or fixed the problem, so barring that happening, and any unexpected maintenance windows, I'd say the fix will go live on Thursday at the earliest.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • darthtrekker4400darthtrekker4400 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I was having a problem with this and decided to do what someone suggested, I went to video settings and turned on underwater view and then restarted the game and now I can see the textures and see what I am doing in the ev part. Hope this helps some of you!
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have tried three times and I am done with it for a while. I will try again in a week to see if it has been fixed. I am not getting anything to prompt saying where the overload locks are. Please fix, I enjoy the parts of the mission I can do though.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • tlaloconeinfptlaloconeinfp Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm also getting the same problem when donning the EV suit and stepping out into the debris field; ie., I can see a little bit if the sun and the solar flares (sometimes) while everything else around me is completely black. Because of this I cannot complete this part of the mission.

And, just so you guys know when attempting to fix the problem, I'm a Mac user and am running the game via your Mac Beta Client (no fancy Bootcamp here). So, Direct X is not an option for me!

Hopefully this gets fixed soon. :)

*Update: I fixed my problem*

Yay, I fixed it! And, this is what I did:

1) Start the game and on the character selection screen go in to your advanced video options.
    2) Under the advanced video options, select "Underwater View" (make sure there's a check mark in the box).
    3) Restart the game and the issue should be fixed.

Also note, I'm not running anything fancy with regards to video options. I have my details set to "recommended", and the "Underwater View" is the only ting that I changed manually in the advanced options.

A big thank you to the many players that posted this fix! :)

I am VERY grateful to you mate! IT finally got fixed and only by this little thing:underwater view!

P.S.: Do as this guy has wrote down, i guess 90% of -here-we complain-ers will havee their problems solved, IT :):D really did to me, so go ahead guys and lady players DO try it out! Many of u will be relieved and resolved!
  • tyrfalgertyrfalger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I got stuck with this for a while but I managed, with some camera orientation trickery and respawns to help. As a point of reference looking at the tunnel ahead; Once you blow up the debris, enter through and talk to Tuvok or the scientist guy. Then fly back out and above the tunnel thing. I deactivated my suit so I could respawn and orient myself better. Once you are near the tunnel entrance, if you orient the camera to the relative sides, you can see a cylinder popping up out of the floor, that is the lock. The other two locks are directly to the sides of the cylinder. If you get lost, deactivate your suit and respawn and try again.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I doubt they're going to do anything before monday or tuesday. The server is stable and I don't think they want to mess with it until after the weekend.
  • kszasokszaso Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    you can try changing the directx settings in game, it helped me to get out of the darkness
  • ultijuiceultijuice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Or you could...you know...look into the RIGHT section of the forums to find a topic duscussing this very problem with people posting multiple workarounds like changing the directx settings or enabling the underwater view. Just a suggestion, something to think about and stuff.
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2014
    STO QA has verified that Underwater view is the culprit. Turning Underwater view off will reproduce the issue (unless one is on Direct X 11) and turning it back on and restarting will remove the blackout.

You can find Underwater view by checking the Show advanced video settings box, scrolling down to Effects, and it's near the bottom.

Now that we've gotten a reliable repro, hopefully we can get a fix for the issue soon.

Thanks to everyone who shared your findings on this. It was a big help in tracking down this bug.
    STO QA Team
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Or you could...you know...look into the RIGHT section of the forums to find a topic duscussing this very problem with people posting multiple workarounds like changing the directx settings or enabling the underwater view. Just a suggestion, something to think about and stuff.
    You don't even need to look in the right section of the forum as the answer is posted on the top of each section of the forum in big yellow text. :)
  • mitch658058mitch658058 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    http://prntscr.com/2oec7j

Mine is also black :(
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Can confirm Underwater View works around the issue on Win7 with NVidia 8800, using either DX9c or DX9Ex
  • devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Underwater view works on Mac too. Go options, video, advanced, and scroll down.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Black-Out bug also bugs sector space. Sreenshot: http://postimg.org/image/cg94d8o5p/ You can see the black outline of the Solanae station and D'deridex player.

Using WinXP and DX9.
  • spreenaut2spreenaut2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Underwater view worked for me, as well. Thanks.
  • dlichtdlicht Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    turning on underwater view from the video options menu ( down towards the bottom in advanced options )worked for me and i was finally able to complete the mission.
  • cockroach43cockroach43 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    well, underwaterview does it :D
This discussion has been closed.