test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heck off a Story !!! Well Done Cryptic !!!

grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
First time since I don't know when, but hell that was a good story thank you Cryptic !!!
I really love to see more on this story !!!

Really hope you won't stop here because this is exactly why I play STO to have fun and with these story's I have FUN.

You may want to check out on space suit design it's a bit clumsy to navigate with !!!

Greets :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
Post edited by grazyc2#7847 on

Comments

• artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you for being one person who has the capacity to post something positive.

It is a really fantastic episode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I enjoyed it as well.

- The graphics were well done.

- The sense of danger on the space walk was fantastic.

- Glad to see Tuvok once again. Tim Russ really does a nice job, and I think the quality of his VO work surpassed all other VO in the game. (Sorry Mr. Dorn, but Worf kinda sounds robotic, at least in Sphere of Influence)

- The graphics work done on the space suits was TOP NOTCH. Promote that guy / girl immediately!

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • tareruntaliontareruntalion Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    truly fasntastic FE even more than the previous one, i hope they make more of them
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    First time since I don't know when, but hell that was a good story thank you Cryptic !!!
    I really love to see more on this story !!!

Really hope you won't stop here because this is exactly why I play STO to have fun and with these story's I have FUN.

You may want to check out on space suit design it's a bit clumsy to navigate with !!!

Greets :P

indeed it was a good story only spoiled by the frequent server problems.
    tip for space suit push the b on your keyboard to bring up your targeting crosshair tool for shooter mode and just point the crosshair tool in the direction you wish to go.

I found the same was useful in the summer event jet pack mission also.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,183 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And don't forget the "to be continued" at the end either. If that was just part of a storyline how the heck are they gonna surpass part one.

That FE will and must go done as one of STO's finest moments.

STO gets a massive round of applause from me.
  • xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So, the current Fed vs KDF war started over the feds not admitting that the undine were an issue and the kdf decided to face the problem head on. Now suddenly the feds are saying the undine are an issue that everyone needs to work together to defeat? Where is the apology to the Empire on this one? Instead we are presented with the Klingons being the bad guys at the end of the FE, this just doesn't make sense to me. :confused:
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    xablis wrote: »
    So, the current Fed vs KDF war started over the feds not admitting that the undine were an issue and the kdf decided to face the problem head on. Now suddenly the feds are saying the undine are an issue that everyone needs to work together to defeat? Where is the apology to the Empire on this one? Instead we are presented with the Klingons being the bad guys at the end of the FE, this just doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

You are presented with the Captain of the Bortasqu being a 'bad guy'. That's just one Klingon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    indeed the mission was very well done.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Triple Thumbs Up on the FE for the Anniversary... this is what we all were waiting for and what makes the day special. :D
    edited January 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    Triple Thumbs Up on the FE for the Anniversary... this is what we all were waiting for and what makes the day special. :D

Yep agree 100%. Sure the servers sucked but. The brilliance of that episode surpassed itself.
  • oooooonoooooon Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    AMAZING MISSION. VO well executed, beautiful environments, it has a very trek feeling to it.

I especially liked the attention to details, like animations when objects were aligning and character animations.

Overall, very impressed.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A couple of story nitpicks, what is the name of the Voth Captain? and since the USS Dyson is the first of the Science destroyers, why is the class named Solonae. It should be Dyson class with the USS Solonae and the USS Jenolan as the next hulls in the class.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    Glad you liked it!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited January 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Glad you liked it!

Nah.... wasn't a case of liking, you guys most def surpassed yourselves with this one. If this is the route for STO in 2014 all I have is one word ..... WOW :)

Thanks Taco
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope they can add the mechanics form this mission to future ones. Stuff like the varying paths every playthrough. It really adds replay value to story missions that would otherwise be done once and ever touched again. If you want to make story content which holds onto players for a little, make different scenarios every time you play.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I enjoyed it as well.

- The graphics were well done.

- The sense of danger on the space walk was fantastic.

- Glad to see Tuvok once again. Tim Russ really does a nice job, and I think the quality of his VO work surpassed all other VO in the game. (Sorry Mr. Dorn, but Worf kinda sounds robotic, at least in Sphere of Influence)

- The graphics work done on the space suits was TOP NOTCH. Promote that guy / girl immediately!

I agree,

The FE was outstanding and Tim Russ's voice over work was 2nd to none here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I must admit this one point in the mission was confusing to me as well. An acknowledgement that the KDF was not misguided in its belief that the Undine was and are still a threat would have been nice.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    You are presented with the Captain of the Bortasqu being a 'bad guy'. That's just one Klingon.

Agreed, but that alone was a tad puzzling. Isn't this Koren, Worf's step-daughter? I would have hoped she'd been a tad more patient. But maybe Worf's poor parenting skills failed another kid. If so, here's hoping K'Dhan turns out okay. :(

Great episode. Great voice acting by Tim Russ. I actually felt nervous in the final fight, but maybe that was just because I was unfamiliar with the ship. I did find the kid doc a tad annoying, but I now understand the reasons.

Oh, and there's something satisfying about a race of smug reptiles, that think they're so much smarter than mammals, walking into an obvious trap of deadly beams. Hmm, smells like roast chicken. :D
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I must admit this one point in the mission was confusing to me as well. An acknowledgement that the KDF was not misguided in its belief that the Undine was and are still a threat would have been nice.

I think that comes later.

The feds must first admit to themselves that the KDF were right about the Undine and then humble themselves when they come groveling for Klingon forgiveness.

It is fitting that once again the Undine play the Federation for fools a 2nd time.

Fool them once shame on you, Fool them twice shame on Them :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    --Dialogue is solid, although Tuvok is a liiiiiittle stilted at times.

--Graphics are freaking amazing. Whoever designed this stuff needs a promotion and a hefty raise, stat.

--Space scene is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overextended. 3 locks, really? And with the suits so hard to pilot, it takes like 10 minutes, at best, for that scene.

--Undine have a great badass feel--they are so ridonkulously tough. Although, having a whole fleet for backup would feel a lot more realistic; remember, these guys' cruisers can 1-shot Borg cubes. No way are 4 ships getting through that kind of firepower.

--Cooper is an annoying stereotype up until you realize that he's an Undine. That was cool.

--Cliffhanger ending is really, really fun. Can't wait to see where this goes! Will we get another Sphere to explore? Some actual Delta Quadrant sector blocks?

--The multiple paths and endings is a great way to keep the grind from boring people.

--Shon (for KDF and KDF rommie players) and Koren (for Fed and Fed rommie players) kind of act like dicks at their respective endpoints. Yeah, I know that you want a cliffhanger and some conflict, but...

It would be nice if the Feds apologized for not taking the Undine seriously. And if Koren would actually stop and think about what her mom or Ambassador Worf would do in this situation, that would be great, too.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Have to agree, Russ' voicework's been the best so far. Tasha Yar talking to her allies sounded like Denise Crosby talking to her fans, Michael Dorn sounded like there'd been some recording issues, but Tuvok looked and sounded like Tuvok all the way. Couldn't have been done better.

As for the mission itself... same thing. Alround impressive, gameplay and environments both. And we're getting back the big bad tripods of evil...

...which totally aren't an issue and both the Federation council and Vulcan science directorates say don't exist. Starfleet Medical advises all Klingon prisoners of war be given a mandatory bath; it is our hope that once the fumes are gone, the hallucinations will go away too.

* skin ripples *

What?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Glad you liked it!

Tacofangs, we don't just like it. We love it.

Despite a few issues (i.e. it's really clear that you guys wanted to make this cool so bad that you went a little overboard), it is the best mission I've played in a looooooooooooooong time.

The one where you kill Hakeev is better, but not by much, and this one's visuals are far superior.

You guys really outdid yourselves. Thank you!
  • myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Having played it as Klingon, Federation, and Romulan characters, none of the factions are particularly good guys and Tuvok is the voice of reason. If you're KDF Captain Shon tries to pick a fight with you too, saying that the other sphere is technically under Federation control because they've been studying it for the past 40 years, and of course the Republic is making the same "you can only get there through our space" argument as they do for the Solanae sphere.
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I didn't saw klingons as bad guys there. Koren (I believe that is kdf captain name) is just representing interests of kdf. She was acting like real klingon, it would have been bad if they all agreed at the same moment. You have to have in mind that they are still at war with federation. We will see how will negotiations go (smoothly or there will be some undine problems) . Can't wait :)

Great story, hope there will be more FE per year. Thank you for all work you done to make it.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I am a Romulan and agree with my alliance partner the Klingons, so how about Feds, apologize or we will make you. ;)
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Play throught was okay...

Some lip synchs were a little off.

The environments were Great!!! *You need more of this for PVe and PVP*

The surprised turn around was excellent *but there was an annoying irk with that scientist from the start, that raised my dislike*

Having Tim was a Major plus.

Shon is just Shon...

Die a bit much *never commanded a sci-ship before, but not interested in doing so, in future*

The design on the front hull, is a direct pull from JJA--ST-Into the Darkness.

Rating Scale from 1 to 10.

Overall-- 8.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Glad you liked it!

As Worffan noted, we more than liked it - we loved it. It's a brilliant example of what you - and the other Devs - can do when you put time and effort into story-driven content. Given what Tuvok says at the end of the FE, I hope you had him do some extra lines for this "conference" he mentions, and that it plays a role in things to come.

That being said, if S9 is just more grindy Reps, innovative but somewhat shallow PvE content and a general lack of story progression, it'll be very disappointing.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2014

The federation is not known for its ability to confront problems...:mad:
    edited January 2014
    Now Cryptic needs to get Robert Picardo and Jeri Ryan to come in has the Doctor and Seven to help create a way to detect Undine infiltrators in the next FE.

The climax could be that once their detection method is finished that it's revealed that J'mpok or at the very least one of his top advisors was in fact an Undine infiltrator.

The above could help the Feds save a bit of face and show the Klingons that even they were not completely safe from the Undine.

The road for peace between the KDF and the Federation will begin to be paved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    One of the best FEs Cryptic has done for STO to date. The spacewalk was really interesting on this one - I liked the fact I needed to figure out how to maneuver in the suit myself, and the graphics and general setup (with the flavor text of the player's ship having systems fail, etc while close to the sun) really added to the immersive quality of the episode.

I do think Tim Russ did the best VO of the recent slate of Star Trek actors Cryptic has managed to get to work in STO (Denise Crosby and Michael Dorn); but I will say, the fact that Tuvok is a Vulcan makes it easier on Tim Russ as emotional nuance isn't really needed for a logical/emotionless Vulcan character. Still, the story worked, and they gave Tuvok a lot of good dialogue.

I also loved that you gave us (the players) dialogue response options; and finally wrote something that didn't overtly feel as the guest star was leading us around. It helps with the feeling that our character is the 'hero' here, and a main character making a recognized name for him/herself in the STO universe.
    ^^^
    I hope this trend continues in FEs of the future; and I'm somewhat looking forward to the continuation (well there was a 'to be continued' at the end) in STO Season 9.

Lastly, thanks for going back to the practise of FULLY voicing all the other main character's dialogue in "A Step Between The Stars" - and not continuing with just having them do the first sentence like you guys did in the Season 8 FE - "The Sphere". If you're going to have a character speak, he/she needs to speak the full dialogue.

Overall, a really nice job by all involved with this latest FE. Make more like this, please.:D;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."