What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Down v2 (01/30/2014) *Resolved!*

Comments

• Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's not that simple dude. Unless you can explain to me how YOU would build a server structure that could take this kind of stress. I'll be lurking, so feel free.

Here's hoping the downtime is resolved soon.

Lol, its more simple than you think actually, The fact that STO has worked just fine with the regular ammount of people logged in, i mean, for a regular basis, of course, shows that the server should hold just fine with a little more traffic. If it is a good server it will have secure branches to detect and adress an excess of traffic. But if its not a good server... things like this can happen. The problem is that this happens very often, not just once in a year, for example. So i dont think the servers cryptic are using are the right ones, honestly. But , yeah, the new ones should cost a lot of money, so they are trying to maximize the performance of the old ones, instead of buying new ones.

So, why companies like Blizzard have only and maybe 1 server down issue in a year, and sometimes not even that?? Ive playing Starcraft II for about 2 years now, and i only suffered a server breakdown i think in the middle 2013. And the traffic is higher than STO. So???

U telling me that, with all the money cryptic probably have, they cant just buy better servers?? thats ridiculous.
  • Options
    dakonbartondakonbarton Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cassiann wrote: »
    Yeah this is what Happens when Hamsters get over excited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VuMdLm0ccU
    omg i want hamsters now LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    [insert more demands for compensation here]

[insert remarks that degrade silver players here]

[brag about subscriber and lifer entitlement here]

[whining]

[crying]

[suggestions to improve server performance]

[something about Europe being screwed over]

[derogatory remarks about Cryptic's incompetency]

[complaints about time lost]

[doom-mongering]

[prayers for dead server hampsters]

[demands for a pony]

lol, I know right? Makes you wonder why these people constantly ***** about stuff really. I mean, I'm here because I'm bored atm now and such, but damn! Some of the posts on here are outright DUMB and make you question the competence of the person behind them.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    [prayers for dead server hampsters]

[demands for a pony]

Can I have a pony if I pray for dead server hamsters?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    asphyxiaactualasphyxiaactual Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    At least this is going to make my reputation timers seem quicker!

As long as they're still running...:confused:
    We Are The Borg. Lower Your Shields And Surrender Your Ships. Your Technological And Biological Distinctiveness Will Be Added To Our Own. You Will Adapt Yourself To Service The Collective. Our Survival Is Your Survival. You Will Be Assimilated. Resistance Is Futile.
  • Options
    xossetxosset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So it doesn't count if they make in-game purchases for ANYthing???? Or do you have a class system set up for players depending on what they pay into the game and at what level can they post in the forum? Just curious. How can you spit something like that out without even knowing the stats/ratio of F2P to those who subscribe and anyone elses playing whose stats help shape the game?

Good way to isolate fellow players.
    ^ My point exactly...now get outta my forum leech
  • Options
    elementx1019elementx1019 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    It's always Barclay's fault.

Unless it was Wesley's.

I guess thats why everybody hates Wesely. His annoyence got to Cryptic...oh dear.
    No matter how badly hurt we are. No matter how much our spirit has been broken. We are Mobians and We will fight to the end.-Ruby, Mobian stealth commander
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    noshuffle wrote: »
    And how are you going to compensate your playerbase for this downtime.

Even though I'm totally making out on this calamity, I'll be the TRIBBLE and suggest "600 qmendation marks for each character."

This will not happen but I had to try. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    schreader1718schreader1718 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It makes no sense to keep complaining about server downtime. It's not like it's going to get you anywhere. If all you want is a case of the warm-and-fuzzies, go rescue a puppy.
  • Options
    sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Mate I can guarantee ive spent more on this game than you ever have.

And im on the F2P model.

And so starts testosterone driven one-upping based on how stupid people are to dump money into STO. Which, I am slightly stupid myself, but...
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • Options
    azerdracoazerdraco Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    noshuffle wrote: »
    And how are you going to compensate your playerbase for this downtime. Oh, don't come tell us like a beaten puppy that is beyond your control. Every main Update, Season, Special Event, you are have the same issues over and over again. Server crashing, lag, patching slow and so on. You could ran away with it once, maybe twice, but sorry, you can't fool us anylonger. The issue is clearly at your side, and during all the time you simply failed to take the necessary steps to prevent situations like these.:mad:

Compensate you? Really?

How about you are compensated by the fact that they keep the servers running for another 24 hours so that you can pretend that you are doing more than simply sitting at a computer and getting bent over pixels and program code....
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Even though I'm totally making out on this calamity, I'll be the TRIBBLE and suggest "600 qmendation marks for each character."

This will not happen but I had to try. :P

Naw, that's to greedy. How 'bout a 600x multiplier for Qmendations? :D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Lol, its more simple than you think actually, The fact that STO has worked just fine with the regular ammount of people logged in, i mean, for a regular basis, of course, shows that the server should hold just fine with a little more traffic. If it is a good server it will have secure branches to detect and adress an excess of traffic. But if its not a good server... things like this can happen. The problem is that this happens very often, not just once in a year, for example. So i dont think the servers cryptic are using are the right ones, honestly. But , yeah, the new ones should cost a lot of money, so they are trying to maximize the performance of the old ones, instead of buying new ones.

So, why companies like Blizzard have only and maybe 1 server down issue in a year, and sometimes not even that?? Ive playing Starcraft II for about 2 years now, and i only suffered a server breakdown i think in the middle 2013. And the traffic is higher than STO. So???

U telling me that, with all the money cryptic probably have, they cant just buy better servers?? thats ridiculous.

^I second that!
  • Options
    confedinblueconfedinblue Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor--not a software engineer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    judeconnorsjudeconnors Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sonoframon wrote: »
    It's not F2P... I have to shell out ~$55 a month for Internet access. and $$$ for whatever breaks on my laptop. And food, comfy furnishings and a subscription to Pandora.

Why Pandora? YOu can do better with RadioStar and we actually have events in-game (when it isn't down!!!)
  • Options
    ivannanukeivannanuke Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can happily accept a Borg Modified Voth Fortress as compensation.
    PROUD TO PLAY THIS GAME MINUS TO GIVING ANY INCOME TO CRYPTIC
  • Options
    mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ivannanuke wrote: »
    You forgot nipple phasers.

Well I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes a girl to be of a certain calibre. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • Options
    fatikanfatikan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's not that simple dude. Unless you can explain to me how YOU would build a server structure that could take this kind of stress. I'll be lurking, so feel free.

Here's hoping the downtime is resolved soon.

Actually it's not that hard to do... but it does not make sense business wise.

Why every game company has issue at launches and major patch ? the infrastructure is not build for such stress (true)

no why would you not build it for such stress ? because the rest of the time you dont need it as the "'Normal" demand is far less than a launch day.

So instead of making a server infrastructure capable of supporting the demand of a launch day (and the ROI would be so far away in time). You make one that will be quite good in a regular time and live up with issues that will happen during a launch day.

This is why the tech team is currently working on the issues, they made sure they were full staff knowing it would happen.
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i might actually have more fun reading this thread than if i were grinding out there for the new shinies. i'm just really pissed off because i couldn't finish throwing out my EC on the window by opening lockboxes...
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    xosset wrote: »
    I pay a subscription, so your point is invalid and if you're F2P you shouldn't even be allowed in the forum since you have no vested interest in the game. Don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just the way it is.

Well I'm a lifetime subscriber and have spent a lot of money on zen before I even bought lifetime. I think F2P players should be able to post on the forums.

If free players can post on the forums to get advice about the game and such, there is a higher chance they might spend some money on the game.

But if we give them a big middle finger because they don't pay a monthly sub, they are more likely to play something else and never spend any amount of moolah on this game.
  • Options
    asphyxiaactualasphyxiaactual Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    It's always Barclay's fault.

Unless it was Wesley's.

This.

What's the total on today's downtime so far? :o
    We Are The Borg. Lower Your Shields And Surrender Your Ships. Your Technological And Biological Distinctiveness Will Be Added To Our Own. You Will Adapt Yourself To Service The Collective. Our Survival Is Your Survival. You Will Be Assimilated. Resistance Is Futile.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    azerdraco wrote: »
    Compensate you? Really?

Yes, really. Some people have...ah..."issues," let us say, that they feel a throbbing need to compensate for on internet forums. ;)
  • Options
    captainspumacaptainspuma Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    STILL!?!? :confused:
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    Wow! That's certainly some dedication. I'm glad that you're able (and more importantly willing) to support the game so heartily. Us silvers owe the big spenders a debt of gratitude. :D

If you're on ESD, I'll buy you a Romulan Ale :)

Heh. It was mostly during my deployment last year, I was still single then and didn't have a kid to worry about. Along with having one HELL of an income boost because of 'combat duty pay' and whatnot with nothing to really spend it on while still making sure I had plenty saved for when I got home and such... lol Yeah. And I admit, I'm Silver Account as well, that's all ZEN purchases.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It makes no sense to keep complaining about server downtime. It's not like it's going to get you anywhere. If all you want is a case of the warm-and-fuzzies, go rescue a puppy.

So do you rather want us to praise them for botching something up, every single time a patch is introduced?
  • Options
    jes26jes26 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    xosset wrote: »
    1.Vested interest mental midget. 2. I didn't know leeches could type. 3. Better then you.

You are the only one who understands what that means.
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Agreed, it's pretty disheartening.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    richardcranium63richardcranium63 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How typical & pathetic is this?!?!
    Cryptic/PWE are absolutely the worst at being prepared for launch day!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    RichardCranium63
    Fed/Vulcan: T'jar Voltek Fleet: Section 31
    Fed/Andorian: Lissan Ek'Noor sh'Aqabaa Fleet: Section 31
    KDF/Cardi: K'Im Qah da Sian Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
    KDF/Reman: R'Chras Jonzor Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    STILL!?!? :confused:

No, *AGAIN!*
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Makes perfect sense. We wouldn't be here complaining if it was up. I'll take my unicorn now.
This discussion has been closed.