2»

Comments

• havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What is all of this hate for Geko? /snip

*mmuusstt .... k e e p....IT. civiLLLLLL*
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I cant see this having any impact on pvp, its the same group with a different guy at the top to take all the blame. The formula is already set up: pve is where the money is, at least as far as they are concerned.

They tried to make an industry standard mmo with due emphasis on pvp, but when the game failed and rebooted as f2p, pvp was abandoned as they decided to sell the star trek experience and not the mmo experience. - We all know how dedicated they have been over the years to the kdf faction.

Pvp has become an afterthought, a sandbox feature of sto that simply isnt intended to be competitive or balanced.

Neither good nor bad, rest assured the status quo will be maintained.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2014
    I dunno if this is false promises but the new quick switch thing was certainly heavily emphasised as a PvP thing. I mean sure there may be one or two instances where it's useful for PvE but it's definitely more of a PvP thing.

I think there will be motions to at least encourage a bit of PvP. I mean we all have fun in kerrat, even those who are just there for farming and there does seem to be a bit of respect in terms of letting people farm most of the time. Sure I see people attacking farmers but 90% of the time they're left to their own devices.

That is good for the community.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited January 2014
    bpharma wrote: »
    I dunno if this is false promises but the new quick switch thing was certainly heavily emphasised as a PvP thing. I mean sure there may be one or two instances where it's useful for PvE but it's definitely more of a PvP thing.

I think there will be motions to at least encourage a bit of PvP. I mean we all have fun in kerrat, even those who are just there for farming and there does seem to be a bit of respect in terms of letting people farm most of the time. Sure I see people attacking farmers but 90% of the time they're left to their own devices.

That is good for the community.

How so the ship switching is a convenience offered up so the PvE heor does not need to run all the way back to wherever and change ships, swap boffs, doffs, consoles, weapons. All my PvP builds work in well in PvE so if I am in one I would never switch out to another build. I still think they will break something with this, I will bet they will have to patch the game at least 3 times to fix things that were unintended consequences.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • trueprom3theustrueprom3theus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't see how him going affects us in any way.

I'll always remember Dan as a two-faced lier who fed us nearly 4 years worth of BS that never happened. I know company goals can change and **** happens, but the sheer amount of time he fed us a line about things being "in testing" or maps being made "With PvP adaptation in mind" ruined any positive view I could have had for him.

Will D'Ang be any better? He can't be any worse for PvP development.

If we wish real hard, maybe Stahl will take Geko, too...

+1 for this! Not sure also if dstahl was calling the shots of just feeding the bs he was told to deliver to us...
    Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.
    The blood of battle washes clean.
    The Warrior brave and true.
    We fight, we love, and then we kill...
  • trueprom3theustrueprom3theus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How so the ship switching is a convenience offered up so the PvE heor does not need to run all the way back to wherever and change ships, swap boffs, doffs, consoles, weapons. All my PvP builds work in well in PvE so if I am in one I would never switch out to another build. I still think they will break something with this, I will bet they will have to patch the game at least 3 times to fix things that were unintended consequences.

The only reason I would use a pve and pvp build would be to max out the damage in pve... but from pvp point of view only, I think having few configs that can be changed out of combat (changing boffs, doffs, keeping the bindings, etc) would be useful for me at least. Breaking something, I bet! We'll probably have all the bindings jacked up and equipment not placed properly for few months after release, lol.
    Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.
    The blood of battle washes clean.
    The Warrior brave and true.
    We fight, we love, and then we kill...
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How so the ship switching is a convenience offered up so the PvE heor does not need to run all the way back to wherever and change ships, swap boffs, doffs, consoles, weapons. All my PvP builds work in well in PvE so if I am in one I would never switch out to another build.

Interesting, I would have seen more utility for PVP - that is, after all, where having your build bang-on is more important. Vape or healer builds have far more utility in PVP, whereas with the average level of teamwork in PVE PUGs you're better off taking a more balanced approach there.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    from that interview with the new EP
    For the first time in years, PvP players got a new arena where they can beat each other senseless in shuttles and other small craft. What plans are there for the future of PvP beyond that arena?

Just this week, I had some data analysis done on PvP game play. I'm not ready to make promises about PvP investment at this time, but it is something the STO team definitely will be paying attention to.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "Just this week, I had some data analysis done on PvP game play. I'm not ready to make promises about PvP investment at this time, but it is something the STO team definitely will be paying attention to."

What really annoys me the most about statements like this....

We have been all forced to do 10x more PvE then we would have if REP/Fleet Gear/Fleet unlocks/Fleet Ships ect didn't exist.

Of course there "data" is going to show that I spend 90% of my time in Fleet / Rep Grind PvE stuff... I do because I can't really PvP at a high level if I don't.

Yes I know we could all get by with tier 2 rep unlocks and a half decent ship and skill choice.

When everyone else though is rocking tier 5s with MK XII Fleet/Rep Gear I don't think we have much choice. Where not going to compete with the guy with 30% Romo Crit rates with a full boat of Spire Tac Consoles... and 2x the shield regen with Omega tier 4 passives... and on hit heals or placates with the rom... and with more dmg resist with dyson, or subnuking one hit wonder weapons on 1:30 cool downs.

The only option is to grind it all out as well... which means we are all locked into a TON of PvE content.

Player "Data" in regards to PvP means spit.

If PvP numbers start going up its only because a good number of people are starting to have toons at 5/5/5/5.

Perhaps in that regard it would be a good time for them to focus on end game content in terms of PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    exactly. wile the winter event was going, and wile i was grinding rep, i pvp'ed a couple of times a week, not a couple of times a day, like i used too, and now do again.

they have done everything they can to distract us from pvp, gated everything behind pve, so pvp actually waists your time and draws out your long grinds. if we could grind and pvp at the same time, player metrics would look entirely different from whats been collected lately.
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pulserazor wrote: »

They tried to make an industry standard mmo with due emphasis on pvp,

i dont know which game you're talking about.

sto never had any emphasis on pvp.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • peyotefootstoolpeyotefootstool Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is always the same song and dance. Let's be honest pwe and cryptic are only interested in milking this old game untill nothing comes out. That being said they have always promised a revamp of the pvp system to keep the spergs like all of you (myself included) appeased. Going forward pvp is a polarized subject, some love it while others hate it. Even if they were to drastically revamp pvp into some great thing many players would still avoid it like the black death. That being said why would they ever pour dollars into a project that would be very hard to recoup their costs. It makes me sad to put it this way because I too really would like to see changes in pvp, but as a looooong time player I have seen this very subject come up time and time again. Pvp changes would require a ton of resources to revamp the code and database which is not easy when the games database was a poor mans attempt at reinventing the wheel. When they add small changes it throws almost the entire game mechanics into a tailspin, so one could only imagine what drastic changes to the fragile combat system will do to other sectors of the game. As much as I would love to be proved wrong here I just don't see anything but more broken promises going forward that echo all the ones we have already heard. I think gozer was the one who is quoted saying that if pvp was taken out of the game entirely the overall affect on the player community would be minimal. I don't like this but I am afraid that may just be the case, or at least the mindset of those calling the shots for the future of STO. I hope I am wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well I did my part for that data mine. I finished up all my rep stuff early last week so ive got about 60 matches in over the last 8-10 days O_o

Fightin the good fight. I really want them to see PvP as a serious thing.

It also bodes well for our future that bootcamp has like 30 people signed up fot it this run
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Check this out:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14702501&postcount=1

1:01:04 - 1:01:20

sounds better then everything i heared from Geko or Cryptic in a long time, and they even have the shuttle thing (provided it ever makes it to holo) to back it up.

*hits himself on the head for cautious but probably misplaced optimism*
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited January 2014
    exactly. wile the winter event was going, and wile i was grinding rep, i pvp'ed a couple of times a week, not a couple of times a day, like i used too, and now do again.

they have done everything they can to distract us from pvp, gated everything behind pve, so pvp actually waists your time and draws out your long grinds. if we could grind and pvp at the same time, player metrics would look entirely different from whats been collected lately.

I would LOVE to be able to grind marks and other needed materials (including dilithium) via PvP. Then all I would have to do is PvP nonstop, and I'd enjoy the game more.

As it stands, I can't even meet the 8k limit daily limit on dilithium refining with the dilithium I'd get from PvP. Especially with that idiotic rotation system they put in that affected a few of the PvP missions we had (kill Federation players in space, etc). Nevermind the fact that I can't get any marks from PvP except maybe Fleet marks (been out of the game for a bit, can't quite remember). And the EC rewards are practically non-existent unless you farm Ker'rat drops.

I don't think we PvPers are really asking for a lot here. Add some actual rewards so we don't feel like we're wasting time, add a few more maps and map modes, and a ranking system for the public queues so that uber-skilled players aren't pitted against newcomers.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • captaindecker12captaindecker12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    It's possible that Dan really pushed for this game to be less grindy.

And now we will see slow growth progression of our characters, with the changes in management.

We could be entering an even worse dark age for pvp.

Worse? I honestly don't see how it'd be worse. PvP is essentially unchanged since Launch (I'd say since Open Beta, but at least OB had two Cap and Hold maps).

It's like the devs are doing everything possible to avoid having to address PvP's issues.
    Actual Join Date: Dec 2009 (Yes, that's pre-launch)
  • ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    +1 to this

I mean I enjoy PvE stuff too but I'd rather practice in PvP since that's they only way you get better at it :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    havam wrote: »
    Check this out:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14702501&postcount=1

1:01:04 - 1:01:20

sounds better then everything i heared from Geko or Cryptic in a long time, and they even have the shuttle thing (provided it ever makes it to holo) to back it up.

*hits himself on the head for cautious but probably misplaced optimism*

Awesome news! Things are looking up.
  • mightyleptonmightylepton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So far there is nothing gamebreaking added to this game, nor on tribble to say wow they are actually caring for PvP.

Its a step in the good direction, but so far the Shuttle Arena is nothing but a copy paste job. No new map, how simple can it be?

Lets just copy paste kerrat too and only allow shuttles, and say we added PvP content! :D
    Read the book of the Rihannsu.