test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not one ISP can get internet to my new place.

Unbelievable! Comcast is out. Dish Network is out, Direct TV. Out.
I am going to have to move again.
I can't go without internet at home.

GAH!

WTF am I gonna do?
Post edited by brewtolomus on

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    then how are you on the forum posting this message without an internet connection? and if your using a nearby library then the area must have internet connectivity, if your using a nearby cell site then a laptop with wireless connectivity is pennies compared to moving out again.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    if you can get sprint as a cell phone service you can always get their unlimited data plan and use your phone as a hotspot and get a wireless adapter for your comp and use the net that way.

its what i do.... though i dont have unlimited data.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Unbelievable! Comcast is out. Dish Network is out, Direct TV. Out.
    I am going to have to move again.
    I can't go without internet at home.

GAH!

WTF am I gonna do?

Stay wherever you're posting from? Sheesh, it ain't rocket science. :P
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited January 2014
    then how are you on the forum posting this message without an internet connection? and if your using a nearby library then the area must have internet connectivity, if your using a nearby cell site then a laptop with wireless connectivity is pennies compared to moving out again.

I'm at work.
    edited January 2014
    Stay wherever you're posting from? Sheesh, it ain't rocket science. :P

LOL.
    Yeah not gonna move into the shop.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any local outfits? These are generally just line leasers, you'd still be getting Comcast most likely, but with a different delivery method designed for people who aren't being serviced by the big companies.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ask the telco if they sell ISDN

Its not as distance-sensitive as DSL, but only goes up to 128k
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am curious. What kind of remote place is this?
    /Floozy
    edited January 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    Any local outfits? These are generally just line leasers, you'd still be getting Comcast most likely, but with a different delivery method designed for people who aren't being serviced by the big companies.

My beloved local ISP won't get service to that area until near the end of the year.
    edited January 2014
    Ask the telco if they sell ISDN

Its not as distance-sensitive as DSL, but only goes up to 128k

AT&T U verse won't be available here anytime soon. Comcast is out, because almost the entire damn neighborhood is pirating cable from their neighbors.
    edited January 2014
    I am curious. What kind of remote place is this?

Key Largo.
    Living on an island means waiting for things most folks take for granted on the mainland.
    Especially when it comes to the internets.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Key Largo.
    Living on an island means waiting for things most folks take for granted on the mainland.

I know it's a stupid question, but can't you get satellite?
    edited January 2014
    Key Largo.

Oh, wow. Yeah. That explains a lot.
    I was sitting here thinking; "Huh. Where might that be...", and googled a bit and found that even in Congo and North Korea, they've got the interwebs. :rolleyes:

But not in Florida. Sheesh.
    /Floozy
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    AT&T U verse won't be available here anytime soon.
    ISDN is a basic digital service that works over existing phone wire. If the telco sells land lines, they might sell ISDN. Call and ask.
    edited January 2014
    ISDN is a basic digital service that works over existing phone wire. If the telco sells land lines, they might sell ISDN. Call and ask.

Lest not forget, using ISDN or a (Q forbid) modem, It will take ages to download a simple html-page. remember how things are littered with pictures, ads etc? Even with adblock, and by using placeholders instead of images, a simple page may take minutes(!) to load. Rarely acceptable these days.

Satelite is just to darn expensive. This is a tough nut to crack. Could you somehow sneakily establish a VPN to your workplace, and use their lines, from your benevolent boss? Eh?
    /Floozy
    edited January 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I know it's a stupid question, but can't you get satellite?

Yes, but it would lag so bad as to make online games unplayable.
    edited January 2014
    Lest not forget, using ISDN or a (Q forbid) modem, It will take ages to download a simple html-page. remember how things are littered with pictures, ads etc? Even with adblock, and by using placeholders instead of images, a simple page may take minutes(!) to load. Rarely acceptable these days.

Satelite is just to darn expensive. This is a tough nut to crack. Could you somehow sneakily establish a VPN to your workplace, and use their lines, from your benevolent boss? Eh?

I spoke with my former ISP tech guru (he's a gamer too) about an hour ago. (They still provide our phones, internet and fax for the shop, fwiw) And he suggested getting an LTE capable phone. And either plug right into the phone, or get a wifi card/usb thingy.
    I will probably go that route if I can do so without signing a contract.
    Because I won't be at my current location for long.
    There are several reasons other than lack of internet why I can't stay there, which I will spare you all the boring details.
    But...the price is right, I will be a fool if I don't stay there long enough to at least save up a couple grand.
    edited January 2014
    I was sitting here thinking; "Huh. Where might that be...", and googled a bit and found that even in Congo and North Korea, they've got the interwebs. :rolleyes:

I had a great internet connection at my last apt.
    But, it being the Florida Keys, anything even remotely resembling "decent" is ridiculously expensive.
    I was paying 1260 a month for 2/1 apt with central air.
    Also, it being the Florida Keys, it is difficult to find a roommate that isn't addicted to something unpleasant. Or one that isn't an A-hole, born-again, former addict.

So, I'm renting a room for 550 a month until I can find a better living situation.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I live in Florida and the service is just fine. You're in an unincorporated community of slighly over 10,000 permanent residents on an island four miles off the mainland--not really representative of the state as a whole. Probably in Congo and North Korea they don't have good service on sparsely-populated islands four miles off the mainland, either.

I sympathize with your situation--but I wish you wouldn't characterize the entire state by your experience.
    boldly-watched.png