What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bortasqu or Mogh?

13»

Comments

• tggrinctggrinc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Um, sounds great, doesn't work that way in practice.

The pet AI on the Bort's pet is one of the least intelligent (and least controllable) in the game-it's actually less useful than galaxy saucer sep.

Unless the Bort pilot's rigged a FAW/Beamboat setup,

Either way, he's not contributing to the battle.

In general, the experience of having a bort on the team, is fighting with a handicap on your side. in Arena, you're actually better off if he quits and leaves the team one man short. it's that bad.

.....As a Bort pilot, I agree... Even with a fleet beam build and all other powers aimed at healing abilities, you end up with a shorter lifespan than most of your team. And you're not doing the damage that others are doing because you're working so hard to stay alive.

.....Further, since you'll be using all of your healing abilities to stay alive, (most of the time) you won't be able to heal your teammates.

.....It seems that in PVP, the biggest ships are always the first targets of the entire enemy team. Especially in arena where you're only goal is to kill 15 enemies before they kill 15 of you. Of course they're going to focus fire on the biggest, slowest ship on the map. Do that 15 times and they've won. In C&H it's only slightly different, they're still going to focus on killing the bort first and getting him out of the fight so they can focus on harder targets.

.....The only way I could see running a Bort in PVP would be as a engineer. With miraculous healing and the other uber engineering powers you MIGHT be able to tank 3 to 5 ships attacking you at once. (for a while)
    .....You could create a team strategy around the idea that the enemy will focus fire the bort and have everyone pumping heals into the engineering bort while your team focus fires on your enemies weakest link. But I don't know if an entire team could keep the bort alive under focus fire from 3 to 5 opponents.
  • kirschtkirscht Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So switching from the DHC's to the DBB's seems acceptable to everyone. What if I take that a step further and go to regular cannons instead, since they have a full 180' arc?
  • tggrinctggrinc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirscht wrote: »
    So switching from the DHC's to the DBB's seems acceptable to everyone. What if I take that a step further and go to regular cannons instead, since they have a full 180' arc?

.....I wouldn't use the DBB's as a set. Most people I see using them use one DBB with Beam overload. Usually in an all beam boat build with the DBB used for spike damage.

.....I'd do some math before I set up all cannons. If you can fire all eight cannons at once with a broadside in the same manner as a beam boat. Then all you have to do is compare the numbers from beams to cannons and the buffs like FAW vs CSV or BO vs CRF.

.....If you can't overlap the fore and aft cannons then you'd have to compare five cannons to eight beams, or whatever your intended beam load out is.

.....There are power level issues to consider, DBB's can use a lot more power than DHC's due to their firing cycle and especially with BO. So if you go beams, you may want to put more energy into boosting/buffing your weapon power.

.....If you want to simply max out the DPS potential, stick with the DHC's. Boring I know, but I don't know if you'll find any other set up that can give you that kind of damage output potential.

.....If you want a beam boat with that big right hook, go with a beam boat and put the DBB up front for the big punch.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Haha :) The OP is talking about my 2 favourite ships in STO, so I'm inclined to join in and share a thought or two.
    The Bortasqu' has been my main ship ever since it was released and I never got out of her. I never thought I will and I'm still not certain I completely would. Still the Mogh fills the role of a true Klingon battlecruiser soo well, so I now divided my Klingons in Bortases and Moghs. :D

First of all, they're two very different ships. While the Mogh is what I come to expect a true Klingon battlecruiser should be like, something like a beefed up destroyer - the Bortasqu' is more of a battleship/command ship or a wrecking ball if you will. The gameplay you'd expereince is very different in each of these two.

The Bortasqu', as others have already mentioned, is a ship that really divided the KDF population here on the forum on the topic if it's any good or not. Furthermore, from what I've seen, people tend to either adore it or hate it with passion.
    Personally, I think it's an amazing ship. You can go ahead and tear me apart for saying this, but I believe there are 2 reasons why people that hate the Bortas hate it:

1. They haven't got a clue how to make it work. Which is dissapointing, especially for the Klingon faction.
    2. They don't like how it plays because they've come to expect something different from the KDF ship lineup. Which is totally cool, since the Bortasqu' really is a ship that is quite different from the general lineup, so people are right to expect something different from a KDF ship.

That said, the Bortasqu' can be made into a machine of utter destruction. The trick is, you have to invest a lot into good equipment and crew to really make it tick. Also, it has a difficult learining curve and weird type of play, so it can be quite the handfull to handle - especially if you're not passionate about the ship and have the patience to make it work. Cause it takes time, it really does. Especially if you haven't used some of the slower Federation cruisers before. But, if and when you make it work - it's very rewarding and tons of fun. :)

The Mogh on the other hand, like I said, is what a true Klingon cruiser should be like. Powerfull, deadly, handles really well for a ship of her size, a predator 5/3 weapons layout. It can dish out severe punishment while tanking very well. I was actually suprised how well the Mogh can tank.
    In the Klingon faction, the Mogh feels more natural to use and I think it's very easy to learn how to use it and have fun with it compared to the Bortas. While I expect some people to have issues with learning how to handle the Bortasqu', I don't expect anyone that has at least some clue about STO to have any problems being sucessfull in a Mogh battlecruiser. It truly is a great ship in a Klingon manner.

Boils down to type of gameplay I guess. Each one is an amazing ship on her own terms. Personally, I chose my ships based on visual preferences first and foremost and then give my best to make them work. And regarding the design, both are awesome looking Klingon ships that I really enjoy looking at when I play, so it's not a real suprise I have and love both. :)
    Disclaimer: This opinion completely excludes PvP from the equation. I'll take PvP seriously when the developers start taking PvP seriously.
    HQroeLu.jpg