test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why did no one tell me the KDF was so cool?

Comments

• davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."

Isn't that the truth. :(
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
    davidwford wrote: »

Probably not. It's like saying "If everyone ate carrots we'd have no blind people".;)
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Actually, if everyone used Macs, everyone'd be stuck with trying to show off how much of a "hipster" they are, and no real progress would be made for decades to come.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I have been for three years but very few paid attention to the fun to be had in ridges until recently.

The ridged side is the best by far.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Originally Posted by kirisee
    If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."

Incorrect. Apple maps would have us beyond lost, we would attempt to claim the moon as Alpha Centauri....

Not to mention if something broke the whole mission would be doomed. Sure PC's arent always shiny and sometimes they chug along, but short of a blue screen of death you are consistently rolling.... not to mention 50 billion interchangeable parts...:eek:

Back to the real topic once people start to learn of the wonderfulness that is the KDF like i did, i originally was just going to make some klingon EC/Contraband farmers, and then BAM i got sucked in.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love my kdf chars there alot of fun + u can be a bit mean and most ppl get ur rp as a klingon
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Actually, if everyone used Macs, everyone'd be stuck with trying to show off how much of a "hipster" they are, and no real progress would be made for decades to come.......

I was referring to how user friendly the Macintosh (whether a Power Mac or an IMAC) OS is. It would keep running until a catastrophic error caused it to either crash or permanently freeze forcing you to unplug it. Compare that to Windows which glitches with the slightest encoding error.

Windows is NOT and never has been designed for use by the common person; it was designed for engineers and programmers. While MAC OS gets easier and easier to use, window goes from difficult to hard, to manageable to difficult. From 95/98/XP to Vista was a major step backwards, Vista to Windows 8 was worse.

Windows OS confines the user, MAC OS allows only the imagination to constrain the user.
  • branmakmorrnbranmakmorrn Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    KDF . . . actually feels authentic and true to canon.

I've never seen it put so succinctly, and I have to agree.
    It's the authenticity that pulled me in way back when at launch.

For players that play Fed side and say, "This just doesn't *Feel* like Trek . . ."
    After you play Fed, then KDF, the KDF feels more 'authentic' and true to the IP than the UFP does.
    macronius wrote: »
    And the new episodes with Worf voice overs are worth leveling a new toon. Qapla!

Thanks Mr. Dorn.

I keep meaning to download the client and check these out, unfortunately I've been engaged in other interests for quite some time now. I will one day, but it warms my heart to see such a positive reaction to the new VO/ship, and the hear players new to the faction really enjoying it.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was referring to how user friendly the Macintosh (whether a Power Mac or an IMAC) OS is. It would keep running until a catastrophic error caused it to either crash or permanently freeze forcing you to unplug it. Compare that to Windows which glitches with the slightest encoding error.

Windows is NOT and never has been designed for use by the common person; it was designed for engineers and programmers. While MAC OS gets easier and easier to use, window goes from difficult to hard, to manageable to difficult. From 95/98/XP to Vista was a major step backwards, Vista to Windows 8 was worse.

Windows OS confines the user, MAC OS allows only the imagination to constrain the user.

None of this is remotely true. I've worked extensively with Adobe products on various mac OSes over the many years, and that OS crashes more than my Win98SE ***ever did***

Windows was NOT designed for engineers and programmers. It was designed for anybody using a computer. Now, there's no defending Windows' latest screwups (and I hope they suffer horribly for their Vista and Windows 8 TRIBBLE -- both of which were given to us by the same team, by the way), but don't let that ruin decades of good, solid, intuitive, and USEFUL user interface screens.

You want an OS designed for engineers and programmers? That's what Unix is. That's what Linux is. Windows and Mac will never reach that level of flexibility and tiered control that you see with these OSes.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    May I ask a request?

Can we continue the house wars between the House of Mac, and the House of P'C in another thread?
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I tried telling people the KDF was more fun for ever and a day, but nobody cared.

Then I got tired of being the only one of us working on our KDF base and defected.

We have been having a resurgence over there recently, tho. I may go back and see what I can do. I just personally detest running alts, I'd rather just switch entirely.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I originally made a KDF alt to farm contraband but loved the KDF vibe so much I know have three KDF chars and play them more than my feds now. Spread the word: KDF is fun and friendly. :DQapla'
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Plus, the KDF story is so much more interesting than the Feds (Way to random). A coherent plot is always good. As is decent voice acting. And Worf. Lot's of Worf.

Too bad the end game story missions are recylced Fed TRIBBLE.
    y1arXbh.png

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,425 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sle1989 wrote: »
    Plus, the KDF story is so much more interesting than the Feds (Way to random). A coherent plot is always good. As is decent voice acting. And Worf. Lot's of Worf.

Too bad the end game story missions are recylced Fed TRIBBLE.
    That's because by then the war is over, as Starfleet has finally come to realize the threat they face from the qa'meH quv, and accepted their proper place as the Klingon Defense Force's assistants in the battle to save the galaxy from those shapeshifting monsters. In exchange, we graciously agree to assist them against the Borg in Gamma Orionis, the lesser threat they have been obsessed with for far too long.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited December 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    May I ask a request?

Can we continue the house wars between the House of Mac, and the House of P'C in another thread?

But we have already shown the House of L'inux wins the OS house battle. :D

But really KDF are actually a blast!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kagenekoalfakagenekoalfa Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In the end, your fleet level doesn't matter, what matters is this: DIPLOMACY or MARAUDING?

Your forgetting elite phasers or elite disruptors part
    edited December 2013
    Your forgetting elite phasers or elite disruptors part

Thats not even a question. Disruptors anyday, thats why my Feds use Antiprotons or some kind of disruptor or Disruptor Hybrid :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The KDF faction feels more in-line with what you actually do in the game whereas the fed side is a weird travesty of the UFP. Which is funny, because people want to play the militarist, tough shooty faction but for some reason feel Starfleet has to be made into something like that - that's why we have a weird alternate reality terran empire fedside. KDF side, you don't feel out-of-place fighting that much, plus their unique story missions also are rather well written and show that there's actually more to Klingons than fighting. As long as you are a Klingon, that is...

The fact that Cryptic made the KDF into a red federation to match the WoW-two-faction-gameplay still upsets me. It makes no sense having all those different factions unite under the KDF banner the way they do and especially have all non-klingons act like Klingons as well. The story tries to explain the situation, though it's neither plausible nor does it look or feel in any way like Cryptic intented it.

Both sides are fun if you can overlook the humongous lore TRIBBLE-up :D *squeals*
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think you give them too much credit. I don't think they planned it like that at all. They simply didn't have any CONTENT for the KDF, let alone for other races. They gave the KDF a couple extra species because you need variation. Especially when you don't have content.

Remember the new KDF content is NEW. For a long time you started KDF at lvl 25 because there were no lower missions. You got a massive spam of doffs and skill points and had to simply know how to set yourself up after the first batleth mission.

Before that, apparently there was a time when you started at lvl 1 but had NOTHING to do but mindless sector encounter grinds.

So I think you give them too much thought and consideration when in reality it was a weak effort they put in: "Ah, just give 'em gorn and... I dunno.. ORIONS! Yeah. That'll shut them up"
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bitterness and complaint was all we really had for a long time in the wake of Fed entitlement whines and Cryptics driving need to stay afloat by feeding them.

It effectively drowned us out and aside from a once strong number of PvPers in the begining the KDF was strictly populated by hardcore fans.

Thankfully those times are past and the KDF has new life.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My only real gripe is that the Weapons Efficiency button is in a different place on my K'Tanco than on my Avenger. And that's really peanuts.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Only problem with KDF is it's run by green women.

They're everywhere. :eek:

Actually, that's kind of a good thing. Never mind what I said, KDF is perfect. :)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Only problem with KDF is it's run by green women.

They're everywhere. :eek:

Actually, that's kind of a good thing. Never mind what I said, KDF is perfect. :)

Green women who don't wear enough clothes. I mean, I put an Orion tac boff on my crew, but she wears something reasonably practical for a serving combat officer.

Wearing a metal bikini should give you -20 to damage resistance, I swear.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Green women who don't wear enough clothes. I mean, I put an Orion tac boff on my crew, but she wears something reasonably practical for a serving combat officer.

On the contrary. If anything, MMO's have taught us that the less it covers, the more it protects.

Orion should be like siege weapons on the ground. :eek:
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

Never stopped Red Sonja......
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Orion SCI captains wearing very little gives a whole new meaning to "She Blinded me with Science!"

*GRIN!*

Klingon faction has come a long way since launch... still needs more love..and as the DEV team runs out of ships and goodies to make for the Federation faction it's starting to happen..

We'll see what 2014 brings... the further inprovements to the KDF side play are not going to be of the flag waving shoot fireworks types.. but it does look like they are happening.. As long as there is study improvment I'm happy.. Their are issues with STO that can only realistlcly be fixed by starting development of STO-II. The current games is just not going to change its current space combat system...which unfortunatly is going to leave the vast majority of STO players out in the cold as far as meaningfull faction based pvP goes.. to much distance between the haves and have nots...and thats not even touching things like how external devices like the G-45 keyboard allow external programmable macro's which really give a totally unfair advantage over players that don't have them.

KDF. Makeing the Evil Empire all that it can be!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Orion SCI captains wearing very little gives a whole new meaning to "She Blinded me with Science!"

*GRIN!*

That is EXACTLY why my Orion is a science captain.

Science!
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I actually play a MALE Orion. :P

I've seen a wide variety of female Orion outfits, though the skimpy ones seem more common.

I would like to see MORE KDF race options, Arin-Sen, Kriosians, and Female Gorn/Letheans would be nice.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg