test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What scifi TV show or movie would make for a great MMO?

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
We have STO, and SWToR and even BGO. So IMO what would be a great MMO based on a good scifi TV show, movie or even book?
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imo?
    Farscape.

The feds of this game feel more like peace keepers in all fairness too :p
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, there is Firefly. Umm, Firefly. Oh and Firefly. Firefly, Firefly, Firefly and am I forgetting one?

Oh yes, FIREFLY!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    but I think the Firefly universe would be fun to explore.
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    Well, there is Firefly. Umm, Firefly. Oh and Firefly. Firefly, Firefly, Firefly and am I forgetting one?

Oh yes, FIREFLY!

But what about Firefly?
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    But what about Firefly?

If Firefly isn't viable, then how about the hit sci-fi film, Serenity?

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Babylon 5 would be a pretty decent one.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Transformers would be excellent. You are your own mount, there are healer bots...your tank can be a tank, there are smaller vehicles for dps. there are 2 factions autobots and decipticons. And expansions can include beast wars, cybertron, earth (human companion? Pfft)

Ya, I can see this being epic
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Doctor Who. I want to glide around the universe shouting "exterminate"
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Stargate SG1. You can be Human or Jaffa, easy explanation of all the zoning, half a dozen potential expansions in locations and enemies. Pretty much makes itself.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Star Trek

• skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Chronicles of Riddick

You'd have a few playable races
    -Elementals
    -Furians
    -Necromongers
    -Bounty Hunters
    -Priests?
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Firefly. Period.

There was actually an SG-1 MMO in development, but it failed.

Another good one would be Terminator. Fighting robots in the future.

Doctor Who would be harder to do justice too, although fighting Daleks would be awesome. As would being a Dalek.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Stargate SG1. You can be Human or Jaffa, easy explanation of all the zoning, half a dozen potential expansions in locations and enemies. Pretty much makes itself.

That... actually almost happened. But it got canned in beta. Google "Stargate Worlds."

Anyway, both Farscape and Babylon 5 would greatly interest me. I always wanted to play a Nebari.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Firefly actually doesn't seem to me to be open-ended enough for an MMO, unless part of the background were to be the collapse of the Alliance. (Also, I'd dump the conceit of "all the planets are in the same system", and instead introduce the idea of short-range FTL to get around - and you can't go to Earth-that-was because one, it's too far away, and two, all records of the route have been erased.)

BSG suffers from something similar - when all of known humanity resides in a small fleet of ships, you can have exciting space battles defending (or attacking!) the Fleet, but there really isn't room for much more than that in the storyline, because the main characters of the series selfishly hogged all the best subplots.

On the other tentacle, a BSG MMO set during the First Cylon War (as shown in Blood and Chrome) offers some possibilities. You've got the Colonials, a subset of Colonials who for one reason or another want to sell out to the Cylons, and the Cylons themselves. And there's the possibility for factioning even within these - the emergent AIs that will eventually become eight of the Twelve, for instance, so even if you're playing a Centurion, you still get to figure out which of them you wish to follow, or the subdivisions among the Colonies (you're playing a Sagittaron? Okay, you get access to the ability to use Healing without a tech kit, but you're subject to negative reactions from NPCs...).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Any IP can be good for an MMO. It all depends on the ones designing the gameplay and making the game itself. How many times have you seen in any game genre some fabulous IP fall flat on its face with a terribly thought out, badly made game?
    Star Trek

Har, har! And I'll raise you with a "Star Wars" also!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Stargate MMO would be awesome...i'm not going to go look up why this failed already but it must have been bungled some how by the decision makers.

Aliens would be amazing. You could be a marine, alien, and with an expansion a predator. I imagine in the tutorial of being a xenomorph you start out as a facegrabber?

Assassin's Creed - This would be cool but I would rather have the top two on my list.

Transformers would be epic! That's a good one. You can be Autobots, decepticons, or human. This is ripe for the MMO world. Now that I think about it....

GI Joe would make a cool MMO. You could be a Joe or Cobra.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Babylon 5 would be a pretty decent one.

This! A thousand times, THIS! I love Babylon 5 almost more than I love Star Trek! I'd love an MMO of it!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    SG1? vaporware. and the franchise as a whole is in the air and not going anywhere. can't see anything working on that end.

B5? problem is that a number of the original actors have since passed away, two of the more recent losses are Jeff Conaway (Zack Allen) and Michael O'Hare (Jeffery Sinclair). you also got Richard Briggs and Andreas Katsulas who both did Steven Franklin and G'Kar. i also don not see Straczynski putting in the effort to revive a series that has burned out thanks to TNT with Crusade. it should be left to die with honor and peace and hope one day some silly director doesnt get the idea to try reboot it. so no mmo there as some of these characters mentioned were integral to the series as a whole.

Farscape? theres a bit of confusion here, Brian Henson has the rights to Farscape but his webisodes and his comics have been less then reliable on appearance. i can not see a farscape mmo with such a bad track record as the only thing that he did bring out with 100% certainty was pk wars to end the series. beyond that i wouldnt bet anything on it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imo?
    Farscape.

The feds of this game feel more like peace keepers in all fairness too :p

Lol, i was thinking the same thing on day one i played STO.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That... actually almost happened. But it got canned in beta. Google "Stargate Worlds."

Anyway, both Farscape and Babylon 5 would greatly interest me. I always wanted to play a Nebari.

Sierra was making a Babylon 5 video game, i was going to be on the beta test team for it but it was canceled before it got to beta. I even have a mouse pad somewhere for the game that never existed.
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Macross/Robotech

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This doesn't fall into the category of which MMO but what about Marvel Universe? Think DC Universe.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I dunno if anyone mentioned... How 'bout Tron?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited December 2013
    Exosquad would make an Excellent MMO.

Join either the Exofleet or the Neosapien Order as an E-Frame pilot, Jumptrooper or Exo-Fighter pilot. Customize your E-Frames and acquire new ones (like STO's ships) and battle the other faction across the solar system from Mercury to Pluto and beyond!
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    This doesn't fall into the category of which MMO but what about Marvel Universe? Think DC Universe.
    That was in fact the original idea behind what became Champions Online; Marvel and Microsoft were working with Cryptic to create a Marvel MMO. That fell through for reasons too complex to go into here, and Cryptic, in order to avoid losing yet another IP to its original owner, outright purchased the IP for Champions from Hero Games (then turned around and licensed the PnP rights back to Hero).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Firefly actually doesn't seem to me to be open-ended enough for an MMO, unless part of the background were to be the collapse of the Alliance. (Also, I'd dump the conceit of "all the planets are in the same system", and instead introduce the idea of short-range FTL to get around - and you can't go to Earth-that-was because one, it's too far away, and two, all records of the route have been erased.)

The ending of Serenity sets the stage nicely for a Second Browncoat War, and the sides can be fairly even in strength as the information given in the show will undoubtedly cause members of the Alliance to rethink their positions, bringing funds, technology, and better weapons to the Browncoat side.

I do agree, there should be a local cluster of planet-rich systems, not a single system. There were just too many terraformed moons and planets to justify a single system.

From what I gather, Star Citizen will have many of the elements that Firefly fans liked, so I'll probably be satisfied when it comes out. Freelancer, which was designed by the same guy, I understand, had a feel that echoed in the Firefly storyline.

I do agree that Stargate seems made for MMO. I'd like a storyline to pick up after the series ended: say, the return of a deep-space venture by a significant population of Jaffa and their Goa'uld masters. In true Goa'uld fashion they purloined a bunch of tech that beefs up their forces, allowing them to be a significant threat to the SG alliance, as they re-conquer planets. In fact, I could see whole planets functioning much like the bases did in the short lived MMO Tabula Rasa. Planets can be conquered and held, creating a unique set of missions for the holder, and another unique set of infiltration and sabotage missions for the faction hoping to retake the planet.

I'm going to pitch a curve ball: I think Warehouse 13 has potential as an MMO. You'd have to make some allowances, but I think it could work. The series has already suggested that occasionally an opposing unit of collectors will arise. What if there were an Artifacts War between these groups? More field agents could be brought in, and equipped, depending on their trust ranking, with artifacts to help them. Part of the challenge would be to select the right artifacts to work in harmony and not against each other.

Andromeda also had potential, but I felt the series was running amok with the story in the later seasons, and I'm not sure if it could work now.

And finally, I've long thought that the Wild, Wild West could function as a western, steampunk sci-fi MMO. Miguelito Loveless unites the shadier half of the Old West in a bid to start his own kingdom, and the forces of good (drifters, blacksmiths, whatnot) spearheaded by government agents under President Grant fight to stop the conquest.
  • tareruntaliontareruntalion Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    a stargate game would be nice, mmo or not and don't tell me there is the unleashed on the derp phones, i mean a game on console or pc also some announcement about the future of the franchise from the owners would be nice too. and second as one stated before a game about the chronicles of riddick, come on vin diesel you have made a nice universe that isn't like the smurf village but dangerous full of darkness, murder etc.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I dunno if anyone mentioned... How 'bout Tron?

It could work. They would have to make up a lot of additional stuff, but I could see a Tron MMO working.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A couple that might be interesting:

The Starlost - Players take the roles of survivors from one of the biospheres exploring the vast Ark and attempting to divert the ship from its doom. As each biosphere is a self-contained area, plenty of possibilities for various settings, and the overall danger of the ship's destruction is a plot element the devs could use to institute events, or even set up the MMO as a massive overall mission of the player to determine the fate of the ship. The only problem I see with this one is getting the license from the owners (especially given the history of this series and its original writer).

The Last Starfighter - Does this really need to be explained? :) This one practically cried for follow-on stories, and the setting is perfect for an MMO. If we can't have sequels, we could at least have an MMO to tell those stories. You have been selected to defend the Frontier, or be part of the great Kodan armada! Daily missions similar to STO DOFF system, but dealing with your Beta unit undertaking such important missions as fixing antennae, rewiring trailers, and going on dates.

Blade Runner - Sure, there have been cyberpunk-like MMOs, but we all know we want the one that set things rolling. Player take sides between Replicants and Blade Runners, with the usual MMO results.

Highlander - People running around modern cities with swords? Yeah, we have some games like that but....there can be only one! The MMO where, when your character loses his/her head, your character does -not- come back! Instead, the character is put on inactive until the end of the week, when character deaths are reset. All players get 5 Alternate character slots. Optional expansion pack for running dolphin Immortals (okay, maybe that would be too much artistic license).

Dark City - What awaits in the City, where Strangers and Humans struggle to exist after the Turnover, and Murdock has disappeared?
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've always wondered why there's no Harry Potter MMO.

One thing we should pray will never come to pass... a Twilight MMO.