test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What scifi TV show or movie would make for a great MMO?

1235»

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You know, I'd love to see an MMO based on old Sci-Fi pulps. That would be so much fun.
    What's that?

The Secret World
  • saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've given this one years and years of thought.

Magnum P.I.

Gilligan's Island

A Team

Fantasy Island
  • gojoredgojored Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    you guys all beat me to the punch, i'd like to see some more humor in mmo's like galaxy quest!
    :D
    [SIGPIC]tritrophic mutualism: we get a viable game experience, and perfect worlds new ai "ARC" dines on our zen[/SIGPIC]
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Warhammer 40K, simple reason being is that it has varied and interesting factions in a always evolving universe.

For example the imperium has the space marines, imperial guard,imperial navy and sisters of battles as sub-factions within the main faction.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      TV SERIES: Firefly, Farscape, Lexx, Special Unit 2, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Blake's 7, Stargate SG-1, Cowboy Bebop, Space: Above and Beyond, Logan's Run

MOVIES: The Matrix franchise, Aliens franchise, Battle Beyond the Stars, something based in the Fifth Element universe, Flash Gordon, Escape from NY/LA franchise, Starship Troopers

GAMES: Wasteland
      *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      gojored wrote: »
      you guys all beat me to the punch, i'd like to see some more humor in mmo's like galaxy quest!
      :D

Never give up! Never surrender! would be a ship power.

By Grapthar's Hammer would be a ground power.

:)

I have actually grinded GW1 even after GW2 release just to try to get the weapon called Grapthar's Hammer in that game. lol

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      lomax6996 wrote: »
      TV SERIES: Firefly, Farscape, Lexx, Special Unit 2, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Blake's 7, Stargate SG-1, Cowboy Bebop, Space: Above and Beyond, Logan's Run

MOVIES: The Matrix franchise, Aliens franchise, Battle Beyond the Stars, something based in the Fifth Element universe, Flash Gordon, Escape from NY/LA franchise, Starship Troopers

Matrix Online tried and failed.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    • mikells1988mikells1988 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      lomax6996 wrote: »

God no. GOD GOD ******NIT NO! No Matrix online. I'm sorry but while I liked the first one, there are three and the two **** ones weigh more together than the one good one on its own. So the franchise was ruined. I do still watch the first one every now and then, however, and treat it as a standalone film. Bout one of the only roles in which Keanu Reeves displayed a small amount of acting ability.

I just thought of 2 book series I'd like to see in MMO format. The fantasy series, The Sword of Truth, by Terry Goodkind (not that Law of Nines spin off bull****. He needs to be slapped with a 50lb tuna for that atrocity), and the sci-fi series, The Lost Fleet, by Jack Campbell, which is the most realistic science fiction series I've ever read (takes into consideration how actual physics affects ship-to-ship communication and battle scenarios) Either could work pretty damn well. The both have factions. SoT has the D'Haran Empire and the Imperial Order (or the Old World v the New World if you want to do it 3000 years before the book during the Great Wizarding War), and TLF has the Alliance and the Syndicate Worlds.
    • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
      edited March 2014
      Well, there is Firefly. Umm, Firefly. Oh and Firefly. Firefly, Firefly, Firefly and am I forgetting one?

Oh yes, FIREFLY!

Don't forget the movie, "Serenity".

Keep the signal going.
    • adastra2012adastra2012 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Judge Dredd, live in Mega city One, become a street Judge or an alien, would be cool.
    • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Never give up! Never surrender! would be a ship power.

By Grapthar's Hammer would be a ground power.

:)

I have actually grinded GW1 even after GW2 release just to try to get the weapon called Grapthar's Hammer in that game. lol

Wait, there's an actual weapon in Guild Wars 1 called Grabthar's Hammer?

Awesome.
      edited March 2014
      Judge Dredd, live in Mega city One, become a street Judge or an alien, would be cool.

And be the LAAAAWWWW!?!??! I'm in.
    • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,467 Community Moderator
      edited March 2014
      Its probably been said... but Stargate.
      Too bad Stargate Worlds died because the company went under. There was a huge promo thing with Syfy for it too. And I would have loved to run around with a P90 shooting the enemies of the Tau'ri.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      rattler2 wrote: »
      There was a huge promo thing with Syfy for it too.

Right, Syfy, the same ****heads who killed the franchise in favor of reality shows and pro wrestling. My opinion of them is about as high as my opinion of Fox.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      edited March 2014
      starswordc wrote: »
      Right, Syfy, the same ****heads who killed the franchise in favor of reality shows and pro wrestling. My opinion of them is about as high as my opinion of Fox.

Who though "Syfy" was a good channel name anyway? Like really? People approved that? :confused:
    • aeonthehermitaeonthehermit Member Posts: 218 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      starswordc wrote: »

NBC/Comcast. They also killed G4, but that horse was old, half-blind, and with a gimpy leg. The Same executive, too, IIRC.

People asking why I don't watch TV anymore, look no ****ing further.
      STO in a shellnut.
      "I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst."
      -Elim Garak
    • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      NBC/Comcast. They also killed G4, but that horse was old, half-blind, and with a gimpy leg. The Same executive, too, IIRC.

People asking why I don't watch TV anymore, look no ****ing further.

Don't forget the idiots at Fox killing Firefly...

Best sci-fi show, ever, killed in the first season.

That made TOS's cancellation and the end of Enterprise look like...well, something outright good. Just by sheer horror of comparison.
    • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
      edited March 2014
      You know, I'd love to see an MMO based on old Sci-Fi pulps. That would be so much fun.

absolutely. Study every Buster Crabb serial and Captain Proton episode, refine your knowledge with style lessons from Retropolis.com then form something totally original.

I'd also favor something else from the same period: Dieselpunk. The coup de gras would be if someone could get the licensing of pulp/punk heroes of the time: Doc Savage, Green Hornet, the Shadow, others. Weave the tales together, like some did in the comics.
    • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      worffan101 wrote: »
      Don't forget the idiots at Fox killing Firefly...

Best sci-fi show, ever, killed in the first season.

That made TOS's cancellation and the end of Enterprise look like...well, something outright good. Just by sheer horror of comparison.

You mean best after all the Star Trek series right. FF was ok but not really enough potential for more seasons with it, the space wild west theme didn't make sense really.
      Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Since most MMOs are about killing things, I figured Bladerunner would be a good MMO.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      kimony wrote: »
      Macross/Robotech

Same here! >=3

Also, Tenchi Muyo! GXP, Outlaw Star, and Gundam Online? =3
    • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      takeshi6 wrote: »
      Gundam SEED. Gundam SEED would be epic.

You could play as Earth Alliance (Atlantic Federation, Eurasian Federation, Republic of East Asia), ZAFT, or ORB Union. If you were Orb Union, you could choose to be a Natural or a Coordinator. And you could choose just what role you wanted, be it Infantry, Mechanic, Mobile Suit Pilot, Warship Commander, or Mobile Suit Combat Operator.

Combat would vary depending on your role. Infantry would be Halo-esque, Ship Commander would be like STO, Mobile Suit Combat Operator would have a bit of a Tactical RPG feel as you relay orders from your Commander to the Mobile Suits and tell the Mobile Suits where to go, and Mobile Suit Combat would be in a league of its own. :D Mechanics wouldn't be in combat directly, but they'd be the Crafters of the game, and would make sure that all the equipment for the ship, base, or battalion they were assigned to was working at its very best. :cool:

Gundam is a good idea. But I love to see one with either Gundam Wing or Gundam 00.
    • aeonthehermitaeonthehermit Member Posts: 218 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      ricosakara wrote: »
      Gundam is a good idea. But I love to see one with either Gundam Wing or Gundam 00.

Maybe have some kind of Crisis Crossover deal with all the Gundam series? You'd have to start with the junk suits, though. That said, I would love an SVMS-01O Over Flag if I had to play a redshirt MS.
      STO in a shellnut.
      "I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst."
      -Elim Garak
    • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      xigbarg wrote: »
      Since most MMOs are about killing things, I figured Bladerunner would be a good MMO.

I think a Bladerunner MMO would kill the magic that Bladerunner had for me. It's like a Da Vinci painting of sci-fi for me.

It's perfect as-is. Nothing could possibly ever improve it or expand upon it, and no matter how much you might want to, you can never join them inside the painting itself.

I consider Bladerunner among the best science-fiction films ever created, so I'm heavily biased. And yes, I'm aware of the remake/sequel/prequel/reboot/whatever. No, I'm not happy with it.

Because it's like trying to remake a Da Vinci masterpiece. And a Bladerunner MMO would be like trying to place yourself in the background of the Mona Lisa.

The magic isn't in there, and no matter how awesome it sounds, you'll never recapture the feeling of seeing it with your own eyes from the perspective you're supposed to see it in.
      ExtxpTp.jpg